Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LilBlossom
Stats: 286/283/170
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: August 2012
Induction phase, shakes and stuff?

I've been looking into doing JUDDD, because I've not been losing on low carb, and honestly, I need something easy/easier where I don't have to count calories every single day. Now, I read on the JUDDD website that he suggested doing shakes and cereal bars for the induction. Did everyone do that? Or just eat regular food? I am considering getting Atkins shakes... I mean, what is easier than that, right?

Any advice is most welcome at this point.
LilBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Most of us used real food and did very well. If you're able to use shakes and bars and prefer them, that's fine too. Whichever way works best for you.

KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I do some protein shakes on DDs because I get the most "bang for my buck" so to speak. I'm able to get lots of protein, little calories, and the best hunger control out of that. I try to have at least one "real" high protein/fat meal on a DD as well. I find this helps the hunger the best. I see a lot of people around here eating "real" food on their DD's - from the cabbage stir fry meal to greek yogurt and fruit.

I eat real food on my UDs and I enjoy it (probably a little too much. ). So, I think you can do whatever is easiest for you.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I read the book and in it the Dr. recommends using shakes for the induction DD's so you don't have to worry about planning meals. I did the shakes at 500 calories per day. He said to sip them, not drink them all at once. I liked using the shakes because it did eliminate worrying about what I should be eating. He also suggests replacing one meal on DD's (after induction) with a shake.

I went to a livestock show and used the shakes for my DD which made it easy since there were no low calorie food options and I did not want to drag food around with me.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlossom View Post
I've been looking into doing JUDDD, because I've not been losing on low carb, and honestly, I need something easy/easier where I don't have to count calories every single day. Now, I read on the JUDDD website that he suggested doing shakes and cereal bars for the induction. Did everyone do that? Or just eat regular food? I am considering getting Atkins shakes... I mean, what is easier than that, right?

i started JUDDD on 16 Feb. i jumped right into 400 cals real food. mostly protein. all those shakes and bars look like the worst kind of junk food to me. i dropped 6.8 lbs that first week. i am doing this paleo style and doing the Kruse leptin reset so that means a huge protein load early morning every day. even DDs.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Hi Thomasina,

So happy you're here, and also very happy that you're finding success w/JUDDD/Kruse leptin reset!

On DDs when I workout, I do use Pure Protein shakes with 23 g. of protein, then eat real food for the remainder of my calorie allotment.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #7

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:

If you don't want to count calories, JUDDD may not be your ideal plan
Just sayin'
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I don't know of any inherent reason you cannot drink shakes and eat bars totaling to your DD calories. Then turn around and drink shakes and eat frozen dinners to your UD calories. And never have to do any figuring/counting.

The important thing is to eat to the calculated calories (and tune those calories down as weight loss causes a need for adjustment).

Well, I may know one potential reason: the artificial sugars in bars do seem to cause stalls in some people. You would have to test that to see how your body reacts. It might not be a problem for you at all.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:

Hey, Lil Blossom - I used shakes the 1st couple of weeks on my DDs just to simplify things as I got into the swing of the calorie restriction. However, what you have to keep in mind is that JUDDD is based on calorie management. When I first started, I had the same reluctance as you, since I too came from LC for a year. Calorie counting brought back all those bad memories of DIETS - many, many diets through the years, and the hunger, depression, fatigue, short tempered-ness. I knew that the shakes would only take me so far, so after the 1st couple weeks, I took all the good advice from my JUDDD Budds and learned how to work real food into my low calorie days.

Yes, it's a new mindset after general LC. You can always give JUDDD 2 weeks - a good honest try - and if it's not for you, well, it's not for you. Good luck on whatever you choose. Hope we hear from you again soon!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #10

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
If you don't want to count calories, JUDDD may not be your ideal plan
Just sayin'
I was just going to mention this too.

I suspect it's going to be difficult to be successful on a diet plan that is based on calorie numbers, calorie limits, calorie ceilings, and an UD/DD calorie balance... if you don't count calories.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I have only done whole real food all along, it seems like most people say that's how they handle their eating.
Chiming in on the calorie counting, not only do you have to do it, but as Dr Johnson stresses in the book, you have to do it accurately for JUDDD to be of any use to your body.
No lying to yourself, no fudging numbers, no guessing or estimating.
Keep food measuring tools (measuring spoons, cups, scale) at home and work.
It does work, but you have to be a really accurate tracker.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote