Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
Do I HAVE to eat that much on an UD?

LC is not doing much for me, only about 10 lb loss in 2 months.

I am seriously thinking of joining over here but I tried the calculator on Dr Johnson's site and my "normal" calories are over 2700. Does that mean on my up days I HAVE to eat that much? I can't see getting that high.
Gweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweebles View Post

I am seriously thinking of joining over here but I tried the calculator on Dr Johnson's site and my "normal" calories are over 2700. Does that mean on my up days I HAVE to eat that much? I can't see getting that high.
YOU GOTTA EAT!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:

Your UD calories do seem to be very high... may I suggest that you go to the JUDDD site and re-calculate again, but be very sure you set it for inches of height and pounds of weight instead of using the options of cm and kg.

The other suggestion is to use the little or no exercise option, rather than putting in any higher exercise levels, as most of us don't need to be getting any extra calories to eat! What we want to be doing is eating to lose weight, so any exercise we do, we don't want to eat more calories to offset our exercise. LOL

Welcome to JUDDD. I expect you'll be an old hand at this in no time, and then I expect you'll be losing weight here and rejoicing with the rest of us!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I tried recalculating and it still says 2741 with little/no excercise, I'm 69 inches and (SOB WHINE CRY) 340 right now.

I will go for 2200 max and see how this goes. Does that sound more reasonable? I just cannot see doing 2700 unless I am drinking bacon grease.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #5

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
I tried recalculating and it still says 2741 with little/no excercise, I'm 69 inches and (SOB WHINE CRY) 340 right now.

I will go for 2200 max and see how this goes. Does that sound more reasonable? I just cannot see doing 2700 unless I am drinking bacon grease.
OK.. I see. You're taller, and still have weight to lose, so are getting this higher calorie number, but don't worry, I expect you're going to do great here.

Beeb gave you a good post about how we most often encourage folks to try to eat pretty close to their UD calorie number, if possible.

Usually when we've needed to find out way to a diet site like LCF here, our overweight is often a sign that our metabolism doesn't burn very fast. But on JUDDD many of us have found that by alternating between our Up Day and Down Day calorie numbers, we have lost weight very well AND we have improved the burn rate of our metabolism, and to rev up your metabolism is a wonderful thing to have happen!

The big calorie Up Days are to fuel us well, to face our following Down Day of near-fasting. If you can't quite make that many calories, you'll probably still do pretty well, but see how you do. What you want to avoid is holding your UD calories down too much and then have those low DD calories too... and find that you aren't stimulating your metabolism to slowly increase it's ability to burn calories faster!

Glad you're here with us, and I'm excited to see your successful efforts here!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
My initial UD recommendation was 2400. It seemed high. And I tend to think that BMR calculators (like BMI calculators, and calculators that tell you how many calories you burn when you do X exercise) just extrapolate what a normal-sized person would burn and assume that a person who is twice that heavy will automatically burn twice that much. For those of us in the upper ranges, I just don't think it works that way.

That being said, I tried the 2400 for a while. I ended up lowering it because I wanted to lose more quickly. I aim for 1800 on UDs, but allow up to 2000. It's when I stay at 600/1800 (dd/ud) that I lose most consistently and constantly.

But it took me a couple of months to figure out what worked best for me.

You'll get it! You are tall, and have a lot of body to fuel. As Pat said, you HAVE to fuel your body well on UDs because of the much lower calorie rate on DDs.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, and you don't have to drink bacon grease to increase calories!

Some ideas for higher calories:
  • pork rinds dipped in sour cream (I like it flavored with hot sauce)
  • Cream cheese on pepperoni, or other meat spread with cream cheese and rolled up (sometimes with a pickle or scallion in the middle)
  • cheese crisps (slices of cheese pan-fried or microwaved until crispy)
  • Nuts and nut butters, alone or mixed with butter
  • tea or coffee or hot cocoa with cream or coconut oil (or both)
  • coconut bark (coconut oil sweetened with artificial sweetener, then frozen. Some like it with peanut butter or chocolate or other flavorings)
  • Rich cheeses (brie is my fave)
  • cheese or liverwurst spread with mayo
  • Hard cooked egg, split in half, microwaved until just warm, then topped with lots of butter and some sea salt (YUM)
  • burgers or steaks topped with herbed butter
  • chicken wings (more crispy skin in every bite!)

While you wouldn't eat all of these every day, it's nice to have them on hand for those days when you look at your calories at 7 at night and realize you need to eat another 400 calories to reach your goal!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Just wanted to chime in and say that my number was 2400 or something and I lowered it to 2200 and typically hit that w/o a problem. You'll be surprised when you start counting how fast some calories add up, esp. if you stay LC. I'm 249 and have been losing great at 2200 calories. So maybe try 2600 at first and see how it goes. I'd start with a higher number so you have wiggle room to lower it as you continue to lose. GL!!
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Amber and Synger. I feel better knowing I can play with that number a little. Today was DD one for me and I did fine. Had my protein shakes, EAS Carb control are 110 calories a shake and easy to take with me to work. I am not hungry and kind of looking forward to seeing how this goes. I'm going to stay LC on my UD's too, I want to stay in control over that since sugar/wheat is my kryptonite.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Gweebles!

Congrats on your first DD!

On average, it takes between two and four weeks for the DD-induced surtuin enzymes to build up in a body. That is the point that ole JUDDD magic really starts happening.

I think you are wise to plan to avoid Kryptonite during that time. The potential for being triggered is strongest then.

I can't say I am really lc because I don't count carbs. But I do tend to stick to fat, protein, and lots and lots of leafy veggies. Over time I tested starchy carbs as a small amount served one-at-a-time. So now I know I can eat brown rice or potato if I want it. But, as of last weekend, bread and I are parting company: no trigger, but acid reflux and getting all puffy is not worth it.

JUDDD is a great way to learn about your unique, wonderful self; and get healthier while losing weight!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Gweebles!

Congrats on your first DD!

On average, it takes between two and four weeks for the DD-induced surtuin enzymes to build up in a body. That is the point that ole JUDDD magic really starts happening.

I think you are wise to plan to avoid Kryptonite during that time. The potential for being triggered is strongest then.

I can't say I am really lc because I don't count carbs. But I do tend to stick to fat, protein, and lots and lots of leafy veggies. Over time I tested starchy carbs as a small amount served one-at-a-time. So now I know I can eat brown rice or potato if I want it. But, as of last weekend, bread and I are parting company: no trigger, but acid reflux and getting all puffy is not worth it.

JUDDD is a great way to learn about your unique, wonderful self; and get healthier while losing weight!
i too am trying to adjust my number to see less of a gain after an up day.. so for a few days im goin to lower my up number to 1587 instead of 2027.. after my very first UD at 1587 i saw no gain.. just maitanted.. so i want to see if i shoot for that number if i can avoid the every other day gain.. tell me please if you think this is a mistake?? i do not want to stall this program by not following the guidelines.. so any input would be helpfull.. thanks for listenig..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #12

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
i too am trying to adjust my number to see less of a gain after an up day.. so for a few days im goin to lower my up number to 1587 instead of 2027.. after my very first UD at 1587 i saw no gain.. just maitanted.. so i want to see if i shoot for that number if i can avoid the every other day gain.. tell me please if you think this is a mistake?? i do not want to stall this program by not following the guidelines.. so any input would be helpfull.. thanks for listenig..
I would advise against it. You're doing fine on your higher calories and you don't want to slip into "starvation" mode. If you think about those numbers, and you're doing roughly 1600/500 that only averages to 1050 per day. I think you'll be stalling at those numbers.

If it's too hard to see the scale bounce the way it does, don't weigh every day. Weigh once a week, or only after DDs. I was on JUDDD for almost two months before I was comfortable enough with the bounces to weigh daily.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I agree with Dawn. The "magic" of JUDDD isn't just in the low-calorie Down Days, but in the refeeding aspect of the Up Days. You need that split between very low calories and kinda high calories so your body doesn't think you're starving.

For instance, if you look at the JUDDD calculator and choose different weight loss options (20% or 40%) you notice it's not the UD number that changes! It's the DD number. Ya gotta eat to your UD number, or you stall. Even if I plug in my GOAL weight of 150, the UD number is 1600 or so. So now at 100 pounds more than that, I definitely shouldn't go that low!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
to JUDDD, Gweebles!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Sterling - stay with the higher up days for a while longer. From everything I've read, you really need to have the higher day send a signal to your body that it's not starving and going down to sub-1600 might not do that. Just weigh every other day and if the losses stop with JUDDD, then consider lowering the UD cals. I'm fighting the urge with you of course so this is a good pep talk for me! We can do it!!
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What everybody said.

If you drop UD cals too low, you will see an initial fast weight loss - exactly the same loss that you would see at the beginning of a low-cal diet. Then, you stall (not to mention, put your bod under physical stress that is not healthy).

To me, the fun part of JUDDD is seeing the UD bounce vanish (frequently taking some additional weight with it) after the very next DD. The funniest part is seeing a loss after a robust UD.

If the idea of seeing the scale bounce is disturbing to you, weigh no more than once a week, and always after a DD. Our bodies need those bounces!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all, I feel so welcome here

I barely managed to stuff 2000 calories in, but I'll try another snack later. I can't believe it but I'm actually looking forward to my DD tomorrow! lol

So it takes a few weeks to get going? Whoo...glad you warned me before I get frustrated and destroy yet another scale. I'll give this 2 months and see how it works out for me. Goodness knows I have nothing to "lose" anyway.. ha ha

Last edited by Gweebles; 03-06-2012 at 06:48 PM..
Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I would advise against it. You're doing fine on your higher calories and you don't want to slip into "starvation" mode. If you think about those numbers, and you're doing roughly 1600/500 that only averages to 1050 per day. I think you'll be stalling at those numbers.

If it's too hard to see the scale bounce the way it does, don't weigh every day. Weigh once a week, or only after DDs. I was on JUDDD for almost two months before I was comfortable enough with the bounces to weigh daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I agree with Dawn. The "magic" of JUDDD isn't just in the low-calorie Down Days, but in the refeeding aspect of the Up Days. You need that split between very low calories and kinda high calories so your body doesn't think you're starving.

For instance, if you look at the JUDDD calculator and choose different weight loss options (20% or 40%) you notice it's not the UD number that changes! It's the DD number. Ya gotta eat to your UD number, or you stall. Even if I plug in my GOAL weight of 150, the UD number is 1600 or so. So now at 100 pounds more than that, I definitely shouldn't go that low!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post
Sterling - stay with the higher up days for a while longer. From everything I've read, you really need to have the higher day send a signal to your body that it's not starving and going down to sub-1600 might not do that. Just weigh every other day and if the losses stop with JUDDD, then consider lowering the UD cals. I'm fighting the urge with you of course so this is a good pep talk for me! We can do it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
What everybody said.

If you drop UD cals too low, you will see an initial fast weight loss - exactly the same loss that you would see at the beginning of a low-cal diet. Then, you stall (not to mention, put your bod under physical stress that is not healthy).

To me, the fun part of JUDDD is seeing the UD bounce vanish (frequently taking some additional weight with it) after the very next DD. The funniest part is seeing a loss after a robust UD.

If the idea of seeing the scale bounce is disturbing to you, weigh no more than once a week, and always after a DD. Our bodies need those bounces!
YES, YES, YES AND YES!!! AND The Scale, She "BOUNCES"!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
Thank you all for chiming in - I was about to say the same.

I'm kind of fascinated by UD bounces - and pay very little attention to them!

The bounce hurts no-one (except mentally maybe?) - it's the overall weight loss that counts in the long run!

I recently had strange issues with my scales - and could have become quite disheartened - but I know I look and am smaller!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Hi,

Once you have started eating essentially every other day, you might decide that you want to eat that much on an UD after all
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

DD number twoooo!!! It was a bit harder today, I was hungry but have some nice nummies for tomorrow's UD.

I am still keeping UD's low carb too, I just lose better that way and I do agree that grains and sugar are not healthy for me.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DD down. Today you feast!!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:

my UDs came to 2000 and i just had to stuff to do it. i did it but i hated it. the first week i dropped 6.8 lbs. week 2 i gained a pound. week 3 i gained 1.8 so i am now cutting back by using the sedentary option in the calculator. doing that gives me just under 1800 and i can do that. every estimate for JUDDD UD seems to be about 200 cals more than other calculators give. i think that is deliberate.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post
thanks Amber... we can do this! i think in all my excitment i wanted to try and make it go faster.. i mean after all its taken me over ten years to get to this weight and since i found JUDDD.. welll.. its magic and needs to happen now!!!lamo.. i see where i need to be patient and work the program... thanks all who helped guide me..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

This morning I woke up to 337!!! That is after bouncing between 338-343 for the last MONTH!!

Enjoyed my UD today. Debating on either sup or shakes for tomorrow's DD.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gweebles, you are off to a great start!

I tried running a few tests and suspect the calculated UD cals are one of the BMR algorithms + 200. Which, for most metabolisms is enough to ensure stress response ends. I do think Dr J put a lot of thought into that calculation.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 03-09-2012 at 03:39 AM..
Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
This morning I woke up to 337!!! That is after bouncing between 338-343 for the last MONTH!!

Enjoyed my UD today. Debating on either sup or shakes for tomorrow's DD.
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I wasn't feelin' it on today's DD, was hungry and a bit cranky. I am gonna stick out the shake DD for the 2 weeks though.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Gweebles: Yay YOU!!!! this is great news! I love to be motivated by fantabulous reports from others!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Gweebles: Yay YOU!!!! this is great news! I love to be motivated by fantabulous reports from others!
Thank you. I have been lurking on and off LCF for years because I felt like such a failure because I would lose a few pounds....slowly.... get mad and give up. I even did ******* when she first started her site.
THIS is working for me and so I'm gonna stay here and be part of the group and maybe someday help and inspire another very large woman who is struggling. It is embarassing to be over 300 pounds and not be a "I lost 20 pounds the first week" story and I admit to making faces at someone trying to just lose 10 pounds when I have 200 to go but I want to do this for me and maybe give hope to another person like me.