Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Too early for JUDDD?

Hi All,

I am early in my weight loss but have read the Alternate Day book and am thinking of starting JUDDD. I started LC mid Jan (after many other attempts!) and am doing really well in that no real cheats etc. but my weight loss in slow - I just eat a little too much & don't exercise enough. I am not gaining but not really losing.

Is it better to stick with atkins etc. for now and maybe be stricter/go back to induction? A lot of people on JUDDD seem to be on last few lbs?

Thanks!
Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by brehede View Post
Hi All,

I am early in my weight loss but have read the Alternate Day book and am thinking of starting JUDDD. I started LC mid Jan (after many other attempts!) and am doing really well in that no real cheats etc. but my weight loss in slow - I just eat a little too much & don't exercise enough. I am not gaining but not really losing.

Is it better to stick with atkins etc. for now and maybe be stricter/go back to induction? A lot of people on JUDDD seem to be on last few lbs?

Thanks!
Dee
hi dee.. i am 4 days into JUDDD and i am so happy i didnt stick with the atkins woe.. it works for sum,, just not for me, i do follow a LC food choice even though i just started on JUDDD. i would try this,,, i have dropped 3.8 pounds in 4 days,, so i say give it a whirl,, its very simple compaid to other plans ive tryed,,, i think i may have found my weight loss miracle.. good luck girl
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hi Dee! and

IMHO you should start now. If you have read the book, you know it's best to give this WOE 2 or 3 weeks so SIRT1 can build up in your body and start working it's magic.

Why don't you go to Dr. J's website and figure out your UD and DD calories and try it out.

A lot of people say the first few DDs are tough. I didn't really find that to be true in my case. I'm not sure why.

I'm sure some of the regulars who are much more knowledgeable than I am will pop in and give you some great advice and encouragement.

Be sure and surf around the JUDD forum and read lots of different threads. There is a newer one that is called: wanna know a lot about JUDD? or something like that. There are links to some other great threads that will help you figure it all out. I really recommend you click on the link to "The Scale She Bounces" because in the very beginning most of us see huge bounces up and down, day by day and that was a bit unnerving to me at first!

Glad you are here!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I have a whole lot to lose and am losing quite well on JUDDD. I don't do low carb anymore, but it works just fine with whatever types of foods you choose to include, so if you wanted to stay low carb that would be great too.

If you decide to do JUDDD and add carbs back, be prepared for a bit of a gain, which is just water. I quit low carb for a weekend, gained about 3 lbs, and then started JUDDD with those pounds added in as my JUDDD starting weight. That way, I knew anything I lost after that was bound to be fat.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I have a whole lot to lose and am losing quite well on JUDDD. I don't do low carb anymore, but it works just fine with whatever types of foods you choose to include, so if you wanted to stay low carb that would be great too.

If you decide to do JUDDD and add carbs back, be prepared for a bit of a gain, which is just water. I quit low carb for a weekend, gained about 3 lbs, and then started JUDDD with those pounds added in as my JUDDD starting weight. That way, I knew anything I lost after that was bound to be fat.
That was the part that scared me Dawn.. gaining after eating reg carbs again.. one reason why ive chosen to join this JUDDD movement,, and yes i love it so far!!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OndoGirl
Stats: 242/195.6/135
WOE: JUDDD 1800/0-700
Start Date: ATKINS 10-2011/ JUDDD 1-2012 (SW: 217)
Hiya!! I am starting my third month of JUDDD. I also have a lot of weight to lose, so you are not alone. I am losing weight...it works!
OndoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brehede View Post

Thanks!
Dee
I don't think 15 pounds in 1.5 months is slow at all, you may be having unrealistic expectations for weight loss which will cause you to be disappointed in ANY weight loss method. Some people can lose 3 pounds a week no problem, others struggle to lose 1 pound...

I think IF you're happy with Atkins, IF you don't feel too deprived or don't binge, if you're losing weight and you feel that you can stick with low carb for a looooong time, then there's nothing wrong with Atkins. I think low carb is great, it's healthy etc. Some of us though, either stopped losing on low carb, or had issues with binges or falling off the wagon and going free for all, I'm just a big Atkins failure. I lost 100 pounds on Atkins. And then I gained like 120, so blah. My problem was that when I ate a cookie, I'd go into a huge guilt self-hating mode where I'd then start eating pizza and junk and anything bad, I'd have no "off" button, I'd just keep going, sometimes for weeks. Because I felt SO deprived on low carb, that when I finally snapped and my self control dropped for one little second, I'd just go crazy with the carbs. So, no lasting weight loss for me.

On the other hand, JUDDD for ME has led to freedom from those binges, because there's nothing I can't have. Even if this WOE made me lose at half the rate of low carb, I'd STILL come out ahead at the end of the year because I'd not have to deal with yo-yo rebounds and guilt cycles. I'd much rather slow and steady than the huge mountains of quick weight loss/quick weight gain that I've experienced in the past. HOWEVER, I have not experienced slow weight loss with JUDDD, 2-3 pounds a week, so better than low carb for me!

We're all unique and you need to go with what you feel you can stick with!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
I don't think 15 pounds in 1.5 months is slow at all, you may be having unrealistic expectations for weight loss which will cause you to be disappointed in ANY weight loss method. Some people can lose 3 pounds a week no problem, others struggle to lose 1 pound...

I think IF you're happy with Atkins, IF you don't feel too deprived or don't binge, if you're losing weight and you feel that you can stick with low carb for a looooong time, then there's nothing wrong with Atkins. I think low carb is great, it's healthy etc. Some of us though, either stopped losing on low carb, or had issues with binges or falling off the wagon and going free for all, I'm just a big Atkins failure. I lost 100 pounds on Atkins. And then I gained like 120, so blah. My problem was that when I ate a cookie, I'd go into a huge guilt self-hating mode where I'd then start eating pizza and junk and anything bad, I'd have no "off" button, I'd just keep going, sometimes for weeks. Because I felt SO deprived on low carb, that when I finally snapped and my self control dropped for one little second, I'd just go crazy with the carbs. So, no lasting weight loss for me.

On the other hand, JUDDD for ME has led to freedom from those binges, because there's nothing I can't have. Even if this WOE made me lose at half the rate of low carb, I'd STILL come out ahead at the end of the year because I'd not have to deal with yo-yo rebounds and guilt cycles. I'd much rather slow and steady than the huge mountains of quick weight loss/quick weight gain that I've experienced in the past. HOWEVER, I have not experienced slow weight loss with JUDDD, 2-3 pounds a week, so better than low carb for me!

We're all unique and you need to go with what you feel you can stick with!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
What everybody said. Especially the part about 15 pounds in 3 months is not bad. Some bodies lose quickly, some lose gradually. The important thing is losing!

Count me as one who still has a long way to go...and had stalled on lc...and is losing happily, slowly, and steadily on JUDDD.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Dee - I also started Atkins in January and lost 20 pounds on it. But then I stalled for a few weeks and was getting discouraged. I switched to JUDDD but stayed on atkins carb levels. I didn't really change anything that I was already eating, I just started calorie counting and cycling per my up day and down day calorie numbers.

Once I started doing this, the weight immediately started to drop. In fact, I've lost 8 pounds since starting about 8 days ago!! I also have a lot to lose and am so happy that I switched to LC/JUDDD.

Nothing with JUDDD says it's only for the final weight loss push or for eating higher carbs. The beauty of the plan is that you can eat whatever you wish and do JUDDD. GL!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did a search, but I could not find.....

It's Never Too Early To JUDDD!!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I'm about the same weight as you, and was much higher. I started at 310 on low-carb, and lost my first 40 pounds pretty quickly (5-6 months).

Then I stalled.

For almost a year.

I tried all sorts of variations on low carb -- very low carb, moderate carb, paleo/primal, intermittent fasting... nothing got me losing again.

From intermittent fasting it was a short hop to JUDDD (which I'd previously dismissed as "fanatical"). The first couple of weeks, I saw a loss for the first time in over a year. I was hooked. I played around with carbs and calories, and so didn't lose much the next two months. But now I've found my own JUDDD "sweet spot" that works consistently for me to lose around 5 pounds a month. I'm VERY happy with that!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post
Dee - I also started Atkins in January and lost 20 pounds on it. But then I stalled for a few weeks and was getting discouraged. I switched to JUDDD but stayed on atkins carb levels. I didn't really change anything that I was already eating, I just started calorie counting and cycling per my up day and down day calorie numbers.

Once I started doing this, the weight immediately started to drop. In fact, I've lost 8 pounds since starting about 8 days ago!! I also have a lot to lose and am so happy that I switched to LC/JUDDD.

Nothing with JUDDD says it's only for the final weight loss push or for eating higher carbs. The beauty of the plan is that you can eat whatever you wish and do JUDDD. GL!
way to go you!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
WOE: JUDDD
Synger,

After reading this post today, I feel like telling you how impressed I am with your tenacity!! I am thrilled that JUDDD works for you. You have done wonderfully! Keep on Keeping on!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thank you very much for all the replies! The reason it feels slow is that the first 7 pounds came off in a week and was weight I put on over Christmas - partly water gain that I was expecting to come off easily! I am really enjoying low carb for the first time, since I am cooking a variety of things unlike when I have eaten steak, broccoli & cauliflower for weeks!
A couple of weeks ago I ordered some Atkins shakes from Netrition (expensive to ship to Ireland + customs taxes) so I could start JUDDD. The shakes were confiscated by customs! Seemingly the European Union has a problem with US Dairy! Even the customs officer thought it was mad! By chance I found some shakes in a health food store yesterday. so I have enough to last a few DDs.

I think I will start JUDDD, with LC food. I feel really good on LC & have insulin resistance. Thanks for the advice - it is so encouraging to hear about people losing weight. I find it hard to imagine so this site has been invaluable in helping me to believe it is possible.

Good luck
Dee
Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Keep us posted how it goes girl!! We look forward to hearing how its working for you and how easy it was to add to your LC style
Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I am now on day 5 of JUDDD and it is going really well. I have actually lost 5 pounds (weighting after 2nd DD - may not last), which is amazing having stayed about the same for the last 3 - 4 weeks! What I have realised from monitoring calories is that I was eating close to a maintenance level of calories in my low carb regime! It so easy to add calories I find.
It is great to learn that maybe I am not amazingly resistant to weight loss, but that I was just eating too much!

I have stuck to lowish carb - c. 20 - 40 carbs in UD without obsessing. I am one of those people who doesn't really crave bread etc. as long as I have tasty substitutes. I don't feel great after carbs.....Also, I would be afraid of losing the run I have had since January which is a record for me of not binging on high carb foods!

Thanks
Dee

Last edited by brehede; 03-10-2012 at 02:49 AM..
Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

GREAT beginning! Just keep the rotation going - that loss is real . You are on the way again!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

WTG Dee.. keep up the great work!!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Great job on your weight loss so far! That's awesome!!

In reading one of your earlier posts, I see you mentioned needing shakes in order to start JUDDD's DDs. I know that you've been doing the plan for a few days already, but wanted to make sure you knew that you do not have to use shakes for DDs if you don't want to. Dr. J suggests using them so that we are not making mistakes calculating those super-low calories during our first two weeks, but it's not a deal-breaker if you don't. I (and many other JUDDD BUDDDs) never used the shakes...I just jumped into my first DD with real food and counted every morsel that went into my mouth. Drinking my calories just didn't seem very appealing to me.

Lots of great threads and knowledgeable people here, so read read read and ask questions when you need to. This plan !!! Keep us posted!!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Wonderful to hear of your loss, Dee! You're off to a marvelous start!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Happy Dance for you! So great to read your update.

Really nutty about the shakes getting confiscated! Did you lose your $$?? that would make me mad.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for the encouragement & sorry so slow replying - I have been really busy and haven't been on-line much!

I really like JUDDD so far, I started last Tuesday on an up day, but have only done 4 DDs so far (2 UDs at the weekend because of things on!). Despite being quite loose but low carb on UDs I am losing, over 5 lbs in a bit over a week which is great! I am travelling for St Patricks weekend (a big holiday here) so am going to stick to low carb but not try to do an DD.

My plan is to get into a strict rotation after that to get the full benefit. I don't find DD hard at all when I am at work. I love the fact that I don't have to be strict every day! I actually don't find much difference in willpower required between limiting to 1,400 and 500 - 700!

I did lose my money (cost plus postage), I was really annoyed! Thanks for info on not needing shakes, I have started to mix in food.

The information and encouragement on this site is great!

Dee
Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
SO pleased it is going well Dee.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Brehede! You have moved into JUDDD magnificently!