Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Got my allergy panel results (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/760619-got-my-allergy-panel-results.html)

mykidsteacher 03-02-2012 08:17 AM

Got my allergy panel results

Found out I am severely allergic to milk and casein, moderately allergic to eggs (both white and yolk), and mildly allergic to cashews, sunflower and garlic.

This has really thrown me for a loop. I'm already mostly dairy free because I knew I had lactose issues. But mostly dairy free and completely dairy free seems like a huge leap. I can't even have butter.

But no eggs is really throwing me for a loop. I know I can do it, I had to be egg and dairy free for 3 years when my dd was nursing because she had these allergies (she's since outgrown the egg issues). But it was temporary, and I was doing it for her. And I was still eating grains then.

Now it just seems to be a bigger deal since I rely so heavily on eggs in my paleo diet.

Anyway, I think I'm going to suspend JUDDD indefinitely while I try to figure out what I can eat, and come to terms with how I feel about it all. I really feel somewhat depressed today. Which is silly. But everything just became so much more difficult. I had lunch with my mom yesterday and it was nearly impossible to find something I could eat.

Hopefully, this will take care of my cholesterol and inflammation issues, and help make getting my adrenals back in shape easier (my naturopath has indicated that food allergies can negatively effect all of those).

So, not sure how much you'll see me around for a bit. I have to wrap my head around this. And do some research. Your good thoughts and prayers would be appreciated.

SoHappy 03-02-2012 08:40 AM

I so sorry to hear this, but I know you will adjust and go forward with determination.

First of all, while there is much you are used to using in your diet, much of what you do now may just entail finding the alternate food choices to use instead. Instead of animal milks, you will need to use almond milks, for example. (.. or soy or coconut or rice milks, etc..) I know there are soy cheeses and yogurts, margarines made with vegetable oils that are not processed into trans fats. Of course, EVOO and coconut oils as always and many other good and tasty oils and fats.

I know there are alternatives to eggs to use in cooking.

I'd suggest you turning to the internet and a lot of reading at the vegan sites... not that you will be remotely turning vegan, but just that they will have all the alternative foods that fill the bill just fine.

And while the flavors will be a bit different at first, after you're used to the new taste of things, it all will surely become as comfortable as your current choices are. But your body will no longer have to react so terribly from the assault of foods that it can't deal with.

I think this is just going to be a matter of finding out what the logical and workable alternatives are to the foods you will no longer include in your diet. And I bet it won't take you all that long to get adapted, and then your life will be smooth sailing again. :hugs:

Beeb 03-02-2012 08:51 AM

:console: to you! I also want to suggest you look into a Vegan type diet, and just throw meat in there. Lots of things in a Vegan diet are plant based, no dairy, no eggs, no meat or by products of these. My daughter has been Vegan for years and she makes amazing baked goods, breads, and veggie dishes that you would swear are not Vegan at all.

I'm sure you will find a way around this and if you try to think of it as an adventure in eating maybe that will help, also.

In the mean time, please stay around and post what and how you are doing, you will be missed too much otherwise! :sad::hugs:

lil miss 03-02-2012 09:03 AM

{HUGS}

I feel your pain. I am allergic to wheat, soy, peanut, garlic, onion, broccoli, banana, pineapple, squash, poblano peppers...

The wheat was a recent diagnosis and threw me too. I still occasionally have a pity party...

It especially gets me that my gluten free bread is SO caloric. BUT, if it helps my body to feel better than it must be.

It is what it is. I keep telling myself that and try to make the best choices but like I said I do waver into pity parties once in awhile.

sophiethecat 03-02-2012 09:18 AM

SO sorry to hear this, Tina!! :console: :sad:

It's understandable that you are upset, thrown for a loop, depressed, etc. Anyone would be. It's one thing to have to limit foods or cut out something here or there, but to be told you are severely allergic to an entire group, plus the eggs a person relies on in a low carb or Paleo diet is too much to deal with on the fly. :sad: So do not feel bad about letting out your frustration! We are here for you - don't feel you have to stay away - vent all you need. We are a shoulder to cry on.

As you go along, you will be able to find the substitutions that work for you, as the others suggested - look into vegan alternatives. I remember someone on the lobby talked about how you can whip coconut oil and use it like a soft buttery spread, as just one suggestion. I'm sure you will find a whole new world of alternatives that you like. Things may not be easy to come, but I know you can make this work. :console: We will be here for you however we can. :heart:

sungoddess 03-02-2012 09:23 AM

I'm so sorry!! I know you will adapt fine, but hearing that news has to be really hard for you.:console: I will miss you if you don't post, so please don't be a stranger.
:aprayer::aprayer:Hoping your spirits are soon lifted as you find your new path.

KeirasMom 03-02-2012 09:30 AM

:console:
You've already gotten really good advice here, so I have nothing to add. Just wanted to send you a hug.

gotsomeold 03-02-2012 10:00 AM

The good news is, once you get this figured out you almost cannot help feeling so very much better.

Do what you need to do, Tina. But please let us know what and how you are doing!!

mykidsteacher 03-02-2012 11:27 AM

Thanks all. Didn't know how much I should be around if I'm not actually doing JUDDD. Don't want to confuse any newbies.

I actually already know many of the alternatives, and use them because my youngest has a milk protein allergy. But *I* could still have treats, even if most of my cooking is already dairy free, ya know? And SHE doesn't have to avoid sugar or grains so I can make her special treats as well so that she gets special stuff too.

But there is absolutely no substitute for a scrambled or hard-boiled egg. There are lots of subs you can use for eggs in baking, I just don't know how they will work in grain-free baking. So I need to try them with almond flour and see how it works.

Sometimes, I just wish I could go back about 20 years when I knew so much less, and just blissfully ate whatever I fancied whenever I wanted it (and didn't have to worry about putting on weight from it either). LOL

I'm also dealing with my little one coming off an illness that had her not eating at all for 2 days, and she's lost 4 pounds (on a 40 pound 5 yo, that's A LOT). So food is just consuming my life right now. And I have to have my taxes done by Monday, so that is consuming me. And I have to keep up with my older kids in an online constitution class we are doing, and I'm behind. So I just feel really overwhelmed.

Thanks for giving me a safe place to vent. I do know it will be ok, and it will be better in the long run. I just needed to pitch a little temper tantrum about the unfairness of it all. LOL

My doc did say, with the severity of the milk allergy especially (the test measured both IGg and IGe immune reactions, and the IGg was over 2000, which is where the test stops measuring), it would be unusual if I didn't notice a pretty extreme difference in how I felt over the next week or 2. So I am interested to see how that goes. Since I don't have any "obvious" allergy type reactions of intestinal or skin issues. It's all more hidden--generalized inflammation, perhaps sleep issues, mood, energy, mental fog, etc. And while the egg allergy was moderate, I did eat them every day, so had a pretty heavy load from that as well.

I'll keep you informed.

Truffles 03-02-2012 11:32 AM

Wow what an eye opener. I'm sorry for your news and I hope you will be able to find what works for you!
I really hope your health will improve with making some of the changes that the doctor suggests!

KathyL 03-02-2012 12:33 PM

Oh Tina! I can't imagine having to deal with all that. I would find it extremely difficult. You are so good at finding and sticking with the food choices that work for you...I know you'll figure it out and do fine once you get going. Will be praying for you.

Eieio 03-02-2012 12:48 PM

No one can blame u from feeling depressed. Gosh I feel bad for you.
Eggs would be the hardest for me also to give up..Sad face here
Sounds like u are very kin on allergies and what works for ur children.
Now it time to take care of ur self. Ur very important.
Good news I see is that ur moderately allergic eggs. That's an up side!
Maybe once u get lined out and chugging down the road of good health. With a big smile on ur face!
U can sample a few bites of eggs, just to see if any harm is done. U will know when u are ready for that test.
Sooo many people in my family are allergic to what u r.
My nephew's son is 12 years old and my sister are both real bad.
YOU Letting go of all the things that u listed... AND start feeling GREAT!
How cool would that be... Wonderful yes?!
The boys mother makes his food and the rest of family eats it.
He can have wheat though. Are u allergic to grains for sure?
His mother buys cake mixes/ brownie mixs and will just leaves out the eggs, an oil/butter.
Works fine I guess. She does sub applesauce for the oil replacement. And lots
Of people do that for their health. Actually I have tried that, not bad.
Tina hang in there, you will be feeling different soon, may take 6 weeks to notice improvement. And then again maybe sooner. IT will be worth it if it helps.
That's a no brainier huh!
good thoughts your wAy. Hug.
Terri

leonak 03-02-2012 01:42 PM

You will be in my prayers!

Please let us hear from you!

Blessings Always!

gotitnow 03-02-2012 03:55 PM

Tina........I hope you will continue to post here. I would miss your sweet face and kind comments. I know you will make it all work, because my impression of you is that you are smart and determined. Sometimes adversity makes me stronger , but I'm kicking and screaming all the way! :doh:

Feel better. :console:

With much compassion, Phyllis :heart:

Eieio 03-02-2012 04:43 PM

pS
Please keep talking. It Will only help u and us!!
Life is good. Even on dd days, smile.
But my dd's r 700-1000cal. imbarrised to say. But glad steady holding my place. Not gaining is my goal.
So far, so good.

mykidsteacher 03-02-2012 08:56 PM

Thank you everyone. Your support, kind words, and prayers mean the world to me. (((hugs))) to all of you.

laranda 03-02-2012 09:22 PM

More hugs and prayers over here.:console: You'll get through this, and you're still a BUDDD even if you're not JUDDDing, so please keep posting.
:heart:

sungoddess 03-04-2012 08:45 AM

There is something for you to consider if you haven't already. When I was doing HCG and on another forum, many of the gals were being treated with NAET for food allergies. People were having such great success with it, that I went for treatments too. The problem for me was you go through a series, in order, and I couldn't afford the whole amount. In other places in the US, the cost was reasonable, but where I live, the cost was off the charts.

It's called NAET: An Alternative Treatment for Food Allergies. Have you heard of it?

The Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique (NAET) is based on curing the pathways of energy in the body using applied kinesiology and acupressure points.

The treatment begins with muscle testing for the ďbasicĒ allergies, as defined by Dr. Nambudripad: eggs, calcium, Vitamin C, B-Complex, Sugar, iron, Vitamin A, mineral mix, salt, corn and grain mix. When holding a vial of one of these allergens in your hand, your other arm is tested for muscle strength - the practitioner tries to push your arm down. If you become weak and canít hold your arm up, an allergy is present.

If you do have an allergy, then acupressure points are stimulated while holding the vial of allergen. After that you must hold the vial for 20 minutes. Subsequent to the treatment, you must stay away from all foods that contain the allergen for 25 hours.

After the basic allergies are treated, everything and anything else you are allergic to is treated. This includes dogs, cats, peanuts, shellfish, cotton, immunizations Ė the list goes on.

Results of NAET for many are good. I took my bottle of HCG in to the doctor when I found I wasn't getting results others were and found I had an allergy to it. I did the treatment and bingo, I started losing again. The treatment itself was pleasant.

Finding the right NAET practitioner is important and they are not all the same.You ant someone who does it on a daily basis (some of the chiropractors do not).

Dr. Nambudripad quotes Ė 80% of patients are helped. I am going to put an excerpt from a mom's testimonial. I am not sure if it is okay to link it, so I will just put it here. You may want to research it and see if it is something for you. Maybe you could eat eggs again.

The mom's testimony-

To be honest, we hadnít noticed any difference after the 1st treatment, but I guess we didnít really expect it to work this soon. Plus, we still were pretty skeptical.

The next week we brought Aidan for another appointment. The doctor rechecked him for breast milk and said he passed the treatment. Next step was checking and treating him for the so-called egg mix. His egg allergy was one of the worst, according to RAST tests, and NAET confirmed it. Aidan was allergic to egg mix on all 4 levels. We did the treatment, after which we were supposed to avoid eggs for 25 hours.

- So does it mean we can have eggs after 25 hours, Ė I asked suspiciously.
- Yes, you can, Ė the doctor seemed confident.

So 25 hours past and with shaking hands I ate an egg. Then 2 hours later I nursed Aidan. Nothing happened. No rash, no hives. I ate another egg. Nursed again. No side effects.

The next day I got completely wild and gave Aidan a piece of egg to chew on. I was sitting next to him with Benadryl, but we didnít need it. He was just fine! Wow!

To make a long story short, we tested and treated Aidan for most of his allergies. From eggs to peanuts. It was worth every penny (and believe me, we are not rich). Treating allergies with NAET can be tricky, because there is a special order you need to treat them in, and sometimes you have to check if you are allergic to certain combinations, thatís why you need to make sure you go to a doctor who knows what he is doing. We were lucky to find such a doctor.

Traditional medical doctors canít explain it, and they donít want to give credit to NAET. But you know what? I donít care what they think. They couldnít help my child, but NAET did. Naturally. My son eats pretty much everything now and so do I. He is a happy, healthy and a very active toddler. He doesnít need hypoallergenic formula or a strict diet. I wish people were less skeptical and more open-minded when it comes to alternative medicine. If you canít explain something, it doesnít mean it doesnít work.

PS. From what I understood, a lot depends on the NAET provider, so it looked like people who had a negative experience with the method, didnít have experienced practitioners. The list of doctors who are trained by Dr. Nambudripad can be found on the NAET website. At this point Dr. Nambudripad is the only doctor who is training qualified NAET practitioners

Say Goodbye to Illness is a book about it that is very interesting. :hugs:

mykidsteacher 03-04-2012 12:51 PM

Thanks for the info. I have heard of it, but not researched it in depth. I'll look into it more.
Cost would def be a factor at this point.

Auntie Em 03-04-2012 12:56 PM

Tina, I wish you success going into your adjusted food plan. I use xanthan (aka xanthum) gum in baking things for someone who can't eat eggs. Knox gelatin might come in handy, too. We use brown rice flour, quinoa, and sometimes tapioca starch for baking. And I make vanilla with vodka and a vanilla bean, to avoid the HFCS.

Do you know if you can eat butter, or clarified butter (ghee)?

I wish you all the best. Allergies are a challenge. :hugs:

mayleesa 03-04-2012 01:17 PM

:hugs::aprayer: sent your way!!! take the time you need to heal mentally, physically and emotionally...it must feel terrible but i know that you will turn these challenges into a positive and find ways to support those with issues similar to yours....good luck to you and we are here for you!!!:high5:

mykidsteacher 03-04-2012 08:35 PM

Em, my doc wants me to avoid ghee for now. Maybe after I'm clean for a bit, he'll let me try it. (btw, I love your name. I played Aunt Em in our community theater production of Wizard of Oz last fall. It was such a good time).

A little update--going well so far. I've gotten over the temper tantrum and gotten into problem solving mode. Without trying, I've settled into a zigzag calorie pattern, and I've dropped a pound. LOL

Breakfast has been a couple of sausage patties and a few blueberries with coconut milk and a sprinkle of stevia. Very filling, and I like it. I made grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free banana muffins tonight, and they were actually pretty good. The rest of the family liked them too.

No real difference in how I feel, but I don't really expect that for at least a week "clean", and I didn't really start until yesterday with Friday night's banquet.

Auntie Em 03-05-2012 07:47 AM

Tina, thanks for your kind thoughts. :) How lovely to play Auntie Em. I'll bet you were wonderful! :) I'm glad you've been able to dust off some of the dust and go on.

I hope your allergy symptoms disappear completely and that you continue to find foods you thoroughly enjoy.

Am sending you best wishes. :hugs:

DD80 03-05-2012 08:59 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this! :(

How bad were your allergies to these things? Did it show up on the skin test? Was it a blood test?

In my adult life, I found out that I was allergic to oats, peanut, apples, and lobster. Not quite the same as milk and eggs, I know, but it was an adjustment. I love oats and was seriously addicted to PB. I am lucky to not have an anaphylactic reaction to any of these, but they just seem to make me super tired and letargic. I went on a peanut binge about a year ago and ended up with my psoriasis going crazy on my hands....ugh.

For me, I had a hard time, but I've found some viable options. I love sunflower butter and I don't eat oatmeal, or cookies, or delicious whole grain breads anymore. I do still eat apples, but not everyday. I have to be aware because oats are in a lot of things. It was an adjustment, but it's ok now. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it will get better.

My friend's son has an egg allergy, and they made baked goods with applesauce instead of egg. It worked well for them. I know there are other substitutes.

Dairy is tough, but there are options. Oils instead of butter. Almond milk. Coconut milk. There is also something called "almond cream cheese" that vegans make with blanched almonds (I bought some for this purpose) and I've heard it was really good (haven't made it yet). You basically just throw them in the food processor until creamy (more to it, but not much). I'm not a fan of soy, but if you are, there are tons of options involving tofu as well.

I just want to offer you some hope here. There are options and after some time, you get "over" the fact that you can't have whatever. If I did, you can too...trust me. :hugs:

Edited to add: I just went back and read that you are doing better and I'm so happy to hear! :) I bet you will find you will drop some weight now. I know that my allergies caused me to keep water weight and it was much easier to lose once I eliminated those foods. I wonder if these allergies is what caused you to not be able to lose that much in the past few weeks (before you decided to maintain)...

mykidsteacher 03-05-2012 04:36 PM

Thanks DD80. Nice to hear from someone who's 'been there'. I've wondered about the weight thing too. And I did drop a pound this week (back up now, but the scale bounces. LOL). I'm hoping maybe it will help my poochie tummy. Maybe it's bloat from the allergy issues.

I'm going to look up the almond cream cheese. A friend of mine said she had some almond yogurt that was really good too. When I go visit my mom (I live in a tiny town, she in a big city) I'm going to look and see if I can find some and try it.

I'm not a fan of soy, so that does complicate things a little, but not too bad.

So far, what I'm really missing most is my ranch salad dressing. Most others have at least garlic in them, and many have milk too. The raspberry vinaigrette I found is good, but it's not something I want everyday. I can have garlic 1-2 times a week, so I may make an oil/vinegar dressing my splurge on that once or twice a week.

I found out through blood testing. I've been seeing a naturopath since Aug to treat adrenal exhaustion. In the course of testing we also found out my c-reative protein (marker for inflammation) was a bit elevated, and my cholesterol was high. Losing 23 pounds had no effect on either, so he suspected hidden food allergies could be causing both.

So far, I've not noticed feeling any different, but I've only been good for 3 days. I don't really expect to notice anything for at least the first week.

I have read, that for IGg reactions, it may be possible to reintroduce foods on a limited basis when they've been eliminated for 4-6 mos. So that is a possibility for the eggs and garlic (I had no IGe reaction to those). I did show Ige reactions as well to both milk and cashews, so those are likely permanant (although the cashews were mild, so can be had 1-2 times a week without issue). For now, I'm eliminating all the foods on the list, just to get a good idea of what changes.

DD80 03-06-2012 09:40 AM

I'm glad you read up on the IGg and IGe reactions. :) I hope you are able to reintroduce those in 4-6 months.

As for salad dressing, one of my favorites is blood orange olive oil, balsamic (I use a pomegranate one, but regular works), little bit of dijon mustard, salt and pepper. It is the best on salads with strawberries or dried cranberries and some sliced almonds.

It sucks to be without garlic, but shallots can provide a nice mild flavor kinda garlicky/kinda oniony.

Also, most times milk/cream can be replaced by almond milk or chicken broth. There are some great soups (potato/leek, fresh pea) that can be made with no dairy. I also know that you need to watch things like canned chicken broth, cold cut meats, even some other meat items have beein injected with butter. I can't believe the crap they put into food these days. Makes me :mad:

I'm confident that you will find some suitable replacements. :) Ask for help when you need it!

theredhead 03-06-2012 09:51 AM

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, Tina. I hope you can settle into a lifestyle that is comfortable for you, and that you will not get discouraged.

Quote:

I have read, that for IGg reactions, it may be possible to reintroduce foods on a limited basis when they've been eliminated for 4-6 mos. So that is a possibility for the eggs and garlic (I had no IGe reaction to those). I did show Ige reactions as well to both milk and cashews, so those are likely permanant (although the cashews were mild, so can be had 1-2 times a week without issue). For now, I'm eliminating all the foods on the list, just to get a good idea of what changes.
I just wanted to add that my DD23 had a lot of allergy problems. We had the blood tests for allergies and found she was quite allergic to wheat and dairy, including goat's milk. Her symptoms were gastrointestinal. It seems like she constantly had diarrhea and even occasionally vomited if she ingested those foods. After testing, she cut those foods from her diet for six month. She was able to slowly re-introduce the wheat products and had no reaction! The dairy took a lot longer, but I'm so thrilled to say that now she is able to eat/drink anything she wants without a reaction. I call that a miracle!

Interestingly, one of the things she felt has helped her a lot is taking charcoal capsules with meals. I don't know if she still does it, but she was using them when she started re-introducing foods.

I also had an interesting experience. After doing Atkins for 3-4 years, I suddenly developed an allergy to eggs. I kept getting stomach cramps a few hours after breakfast, but it was so irregular it took awhile for me to figure it out. After I stopped eating eggs, I was fine, but boy, that was hard for me. I love eggs! I no longer ate them and the symptoms went away. (I could eat a little bit if it was cooked into something else, but no scrambled or fried eggs for me!) After about a year, I decided to try again and slowly reintroduced them with no problems. I can now eat all I want without issue. I'd read, like you, that sometimes cutting the offending food out for a period of time can help your body get over that reaction, and it certainly seems that happened for me.

I hope this encourages you that just because you react NOW, you might not always have a problem. Wishing you all the best!

mykidsteacher 03-06-2012 03:46 PM

Thank you all. It is good to hear about others who've been able to reintroduce foods after a time away from them.

And thank you Lianora! I've been meaning to get to *** and ask about food allergies, and haven't had the time to do it. So I am going to read right now!