Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Borrowing From Our UDs?

Now here is something I have been wondering. I will round off my UD/DD calories to make my thinking easy. Let's say my UD calories are 1700 and my DD calories are 700 for maintenance. I was thinking that I would like to have a little more calories on my DDs. What if I moved 100 calories from my UD and gave it to my DD. This would give me 1600 calorie UDs and 800 calorie DDs.

I'm wondering if that is enough of a calorie gap between the 2 days to keep JUDDD working it's magic. It's still 2400 calories over 2 days, or 1200 calories a day, so I don't see a problem there, but it's the gap that has me wondering if it will cause a problem.

What say my JUDDD BUDDDs? Think it would work?

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Off the top of my head, I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine for your maintenance. Once we've been an overweight person, apparently we will never be able to be back quite like if we'd never put on too much fat, and we almost always will have to watch a bit more carefully, never be able to eat quite as much as we'd maybe be able to if we'd never allowed ourselves to get overweight to begin with. At least, that seems to be what the studies are now revealing.

But, you are not increasing your weekly calories by doing this *borrowing*... only shifting your calorie numbers around a bit, and in maintenance I think you will get away with it just fine.

Give it a try for three or four weeks and assess as you go along. I like the power of the big spread when we're losing, and I like the power of the fasting level Down Days for the health benefits, so as you begin to get further and further from the fasting, you may lose some of those health benefits, but.. I don't think there is any reason to fear weight regain. Watch your metabolic rate to make sure it keeps working nicely for you.

If you find you aren't maintaining, or you aren't happy with this change, you can always return to these current numbers again. And you can also always do the occasional lower calorie DD just to keep some of the JUDDD-ness working. In your example, you have moved yourself into a rotation of 800/1600, and that is still doing maintenance DDs of 50%. It sounds workable to me.

Good luck, and I'll be looking forward to progress reports. Go for it!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6/239.2/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 9 June 2013
Not sure is the answer!! What does Dr J say about maintenance???

I would be concerned that 1600 may not be sufficient on an UD - but again, you are in maintenance - so it probably makes little difference if you occasionally (when needed go over, just as there will be times when you don't make it to 800 cals).

I almost think I would consider a 2 week cycle in which maybe you had 4 low DD and 2 higher UD if that makes sense - so you get some of the JUDDD benefit.

This is just an out loud 'I wonder' type of suggestion - but maybe you'll be more comfortable at the 800/1600 rotation - as Pat says - it's still 50%!!

The only thing to do is, give it a whirl - if it doesn't work - you know what to do....
Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Like u Linda, I am in maintainance, and have also been having a juggle with my days.
At the moment, life dictates that I really need my UD's to be on the w/e...and also, I can't really have Friday as a dd, as I go to the gym, and do my most vigorous exercise ( I walk the other 5-6 days of the week, fine on Dd's)
So this week and next my week will be:
Dd/md/UD/dd/md/UD/UD
As my UD's are usually not counted, it's hard to estimate daily numbers, but I figure my average will be approx 1700, which is around my maintaince number on the juddd site.
My only goal is to maintain my weight, so if I stay where I am now weight wise, I will consider it a success!
I know you posted earlier that your weight was up a bit, but it sounds like you have that sorted, and are planning to maintain.
If so it sounds to me like those numbers will work fine.
Personally, I like variety, and changing things around a little keeps me interested, and, hopefully keeps my body guessing!
Hugs
Jo
X

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
I'm away from home so don't have the book. But, I believe I remember Dr J said in maintenance his DDs are 50% of his UD calories. The website says 50% to 60%. Chuckle, I also think in the book, Dr J says his weight sometimes rises and he has to drop DD calories periodically to get back on track.

800 calorie DDs and 1600 cal UDs are in that range.

The reading I did a few weekends ago made it clear stress response (and all the good, healthy things that go with it) initiates when caloric intake is 50% of BMR, or 50% of RMR, or somewhere below 1200 cal/day - depending on your unique metabolism. 800 cal/day is in that range, at least approximately.

Based on all that, I say give it a try. Then tune and tweak if needed. As Vicky says, if your unique metabolism can't handle it, you know what to do.

As I said in an earlier post, I really appreciate these 'how to maintain' discussions. They give me hope and help me plan.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Go for it Beeb, be our lab rat!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Go for it Beeb, be our lab rat!
Maybe not a "lab rat", but a "lab bunny"?! Sounds a little more cute and fuzzy to me!!

OK, I'm diving in for the "experiment"! I have lost all of the 3+ pounds I had in the beginning of the week from eating too "freely" on my UD/FDs by just counting my UD calories again, so I will do this 800/1600 for a bit and see what happens.

The beauty of JUDDD is I CAN do this and just go back to what I was doing before if I find it doesn't work well. JUDDD IS that forgiving and amazing that we can play around and make it work.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Nancy's right. Dr. J says he's been doing 50% DDs for a long time to maintain his weight and when he wants to lose, he drops them to 40% or 35%. He feels he cannot go lower and sustain it.

In maintaining, I think this will rock for you.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Now here is something I have been wondering. I will round off my UD/DD calories to make my thinking easy. Let's say my UD calories are 1700 and my DD calories are 700 for maintenance. I was thinking that I would like to have a little more calories on my DDs. What if I moved 100 calories from my UD and gave it to my DD. This would give me 1600 calorie UDs and 800 calorie DDs.

I'm wondering if that is enough of a calorie gap between the 2 days to keep JUDDD working it's magic. It's still 2400 calories over 2 days, or 1200 calories a day, so I don't see a problem there, but it's the gap that has me wondering if it will cause a problem.

What say my JUDDD BUDDDs? Think it would work?
probably doesnt matter if you are maintaining. no magic. but not weight gain.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spank'd
Stats: 223/217/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restarted 1/11/14
I would experiment with this. I think a lot of it depends on whether your body is still trying to recover the weight, or has adjusted to its new standard.

Time will tell, but it's worth a shot. At least this newb thinks so.
Spank'd is offline   Reply With Quote