Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
How to change the way you think?

New to this forum.. and very very new to the JUDDD concept. Today will be my fisrt day starting in at 211.6 45 years old and 5'9...Heres the thing.. i have been following a low carb lifstyle just since Jan this year that has givin me a loss reusult of 14 pds... in this plan i ate similar to adkins but.. chose to start it out with the fruit and grains included but limit how many i ate.. my thought was this... if i didnt start it out so restricted i should never see a gain. and so far.. this has been pretty true( at least for me).. i read about this new plan you all are on.. and i know i can do 500 cal every other day with out a problem.. due to i somtimes have to remind my self i need to eat . and that starving really hurts.. so.. heres my question.. ( sorry for the long post).. How do i switch my thinking on a an up day, that eating what ever i choose but limit it to 2100 calories is ok?? i mean... i have just took the jump into thinking that pasta and potatoes and real sugar must be avoided at all costs!!.. is it ok to continue to try and do this JUDDD with Low Carb? please let me know your thoughts on this.. thankyou.. and so glad i found this forum!

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 03-01-2012 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: missed words lol
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OndoGirl
Stats: 242/195.6/135
WOE: JUDDD 1800/0-700
Start Date: ATKINS 10-2011/ JUDDD 1-2012 (SW: 217)
Welcome!!

Great job with your weight loss so far!

(Our stats are a bit similar, but I am 5-5, 38 years old.)
OndoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
In my experience and opinion, eating whole, clean and healthy food will keep you from returning to eating what contributed to obesity in the first place. It is okay to "treat" yourself with something once in a while, but lifestyle eating should be about your health on both up and down days. If you adjust your mindset to lower sugar and optimum nutrition you will benefit no matter what.
You can do it, and JUDDD is great...intermittent fasting has so many health benefits on its own.
Lower carb works well with this style of eating, without making you a traitor to yourself if you have a serving of something you really want now and then. I have seen tracking my food that if I eat something too carby or too simple carb it disturbs my insulin system and makes me ravenous for crap.
Daily tracking and journaling will help you figure out what works best for your physiology and your mental state over your eating.
I almost NEVER eat over 25g of sugars a day from all of my food, my body cannot take it, and tend to stay under 100g carb total, some days much lower. I eat organic and whole food predominantly which limits any exposure to processed junk. These have all been slow changes over time and I am so much healthier than at any time in my adult life even though I still have stored fat I want to lose.

Last edited by b_lou_who; 03-01-2012 at 08:17 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OndoGirl View Post
Welcome!!

Great job with your weight loss so far!

(Our stats are a bit similar, but I am 5-5, 38 years old.)
Thanks.. You are following the JUDDD is that correct?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
In my experience and opinion, eating whole, clean and healthy food will keep you from returning to eating what contributed to obesity in the first place. It is okay to "treat" yourself with something once in a while, but lifestyle eating should be about your health on both up and down days. If you adjust your mindset to lower sugar and optimum nutrition you will benefit no matter what. You can do it, and JUDDD is great...intermittent fasting has so many health benefits on its own.
Thank you.. i wanted to find a way i could eat for the rest of my life.. not a quick fix( if there really is such a thing) lol.. I want to eat to live and stop living to eat.. this has been an long journey already.. but.. this year was differnt.. i wanted to take care of my body as well as shedd the ugly unwatned pounds. so what your saying is, this combo could very well work for me..
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
New to this forum.. and very very new to the JUDDD concept. Today will be my fisrt day starting in at 211.6 45 years old and 5'9...Heres the thing.. i have been following a low carb lifstyle just since Jan this year that has givin me a loss reusult of 14 pds... in this plan i ate similar to adkins but.. chose to start it out with the fruit and grains included but limit how many i ate.. my thought was this... if i didnt start it out so restricted i should never see a gain. and so far.. this has been pretty true( at least for me).. i read about this new plan you all are on.. and i know i can do 500 cal every other day with out a problem.. due to i somtimes have to remind my self i need to eat . and that starving really hurts.. so.. heres my question.. ( sorry for the long post).. How do i switch my thinking on a an up day, that eating what ever i choose but limit it to 2100 calories is ok?? i mean... i have just took the jump into thinking that pasta and potatoes and real sugar must be avoided at all costs!!.. is it ok to continue to try and do this JUDDD with Low Carb? please let me know your thoughts on this.. thankyou.. and so glad i found this forum!
You most certainly don't have to bring pasta and potatoes and real sugar back into your diet just to follow the JUDDD plan. Many of us don't. And some of us do. So first of all, know that the foods you include in your menu are entirely up to you. JUDDD doesn't care. It sounds like you mainly follow a moderate carb diet already, rather than a very low carb one, and if this is the case you should be able to continue with those foods that you are already eating and enjoying.

How you make up your menu calorie intake is also up to you. If you feel that you can do 500-calorie DDs right off the bat, that will stand you in very good stead, and as to your UD calorie number... do you know that 2100 calories for UDs is the number calculated to be your *Normal* Up Day calories from the JUDDD Calorie Calculator?

There is divergent thought about the value, or lack of it, of eating up to your calorie number on UDs, and Dr. Johnson has written that if you can't, don't feel you have to. However... many, many of us have found that if we regularly eat less than our UD calorie number (by much, anyway..), our metabolic rate of burn slows down. And the last thing that most of us want here is to slow our metabolisms down! Most of us are at least a little bit broken (or were) in that department anyway, else we wouldn't have got to the weight that gathered us all here.

So many have found that their rate of weight loss was actually helped along by eating up to those UD calories, after it had slowed down from undereating too much on the UDs. I'd certainly suggest that you start out eating up to your UD number if you can, and there are certainly higher calorie foods that can help contribute to that goal which are not high in carbs. Many here can give you great suggestions.

IF eating at your given calorie numbers is NOT resulting in weight loss, you can always scale your UD calories down a bit and see if that helps, but if you can help your metabolism by eating well every other day in tandem with eating at a very low calorie rate on your DDs, you will receive a lot of health benefits that are far beyond mere appearance, in addition to a slimmer figure. But I think you'll get that too! JUDDD is a miracle for so many of us when our previous diets stopped working, or had to be so restrictive that we were almost in tears. I think you'll love it!

Last edited by SoHappy; 03-01-2012 at 08:54 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OndoGirl
Stats: 242/195.6/135
WOE: JUDDD 1800/0-700
Start Date: ATKINS 10-2011/ JUDDD 1-2012 (SW: 217)
Quote:
Thanks.. You are following the JUDDD is that correct?
Yes. I started Juddd on 1/3/12. I weighed 217. Today I weigh 204. I am still a relative newbie, but I love it so far!! Sorry I have nothing constructive to add..just wanted to welcome you
OndoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Sterlinggirl: I just read your "struggling newbie" post in the ML last night. I am so glad you found your way in here!! So many who have been struggling with LC have found success once adding JUDDD. So much good info here and so many friendly, helpful folk...I look forward to seeing your successes here, too!!
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
In my experience and opinion, eating whole, clean and healthy food will keep you from returning to eating what contributed to obesity in the first place. It is okay to "treat" yourself with something once in a while, but lifestyle eating should be about your health on both up and down days. If you adjust your mindset to lower sugar and optimum nutrition you will benefit no matter what.
You can do it, and JUDDD is great...intermittent fasting has so many health benefits on its own.
Lower carb works well with this style of eating, without making you a traitor to yourself if you have a serving of something you really want now and then. I have seen tracking my food that if I eat something too carby or too simple carb it disturbs my insulin system and makes me ravenous for crap.
Daily tracking and journaling will help you figure out what works best for your physiology and your mental state over your eating.
I almost NEVER eat over 25g of sugars a day from all of my food, my body cannot take it, and tend to stay under 100g carb total, some days much lower. I eat organic and whole food predominantly which limits any exposure to processed junk. These have all been slow changes over time and I am so much healthier than at any time in my adult life even though I still have stored fat I want to lose.
and starting to slowly add things in that you may want seems to do well for lots of us. You don't have to eat pasta, bread, whole grains, sugar, etc. Your food choices are your food choices, no "limited or can't have" foods, and in which ever way you want to eat. Lots do LC and JUDDD and are very successful.

BTW..... to our JUDDD family!!

Last edited by Beeb; 03-01-2012 at 09:44 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #10

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Welcome to JUDDD Sterlinggirl.

You have already had your questions answered but I just wanted you to know how good it is to see you starting what is truly a great way to eat for the rest of your life.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

AWW i feel so blessed already and so welcome here.. it feels like home.. thank you all for your helpfull advise.. i will def do what i should to reach my goal.. i am sooo exctied to have found this information and i think it is my answer! looking forward to one week to see what my scale says!!(if i can stay off it that long) lol Again thanks for the warm welcome.. im sure i will have many questions as i move forward.. today i started with a down day.. ive had water water more than i ever drink.. one meal replacemnt bar from adkins 200 cals.. two cups of chicken broth low sodium 15 cal each.. one cup of raw broccoi.. cal unknown..and this am three cups of coffee with poweder creamer. measured the tsp out and its like 30 cal each cup so 90- 100 cal in empy coffee will curb that one.. so it leaves me with about 120 for dinner.. i fiugred on cup of brocolli at 50 just for a number to count but i will look that up..
Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #12

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
There are several good calorie counter websites if you're interested. There's even a sticky on this forum. I use ************ and love, love, love it!

KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
There are several good calorie counter websites if you're interested. There's even a sticky on this forum. I use ************ and love, love, love it!

thanks.. i think im goin to need one!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #14

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...lculators.html

You can choose from several here.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
I guess I should not say I am still eating lc because, since I no longer count carbs I have added a lot of veggies into my meals. I only eat starchy carbs a few times a week.

How do you change you thinking on UD? Read all the DD advice and reverse it. PLAN what you are going to eat on UD. Experiment with eating three (or two) meals. Make sure the food you plan to eat is available. Wake up and make a point of thinking: Today is UD I am going to enjoy eating. Set an alarm to remind you to eat each meal. Start low cal and consciously work your way up. If you keep a daily to-do list, include a description of what/when you are going to eat on the list. Eat and check it off the list. If you think of foods you enjoy - keep a list. Use said list to circle around to PLAN what you are going to eat.

How do I know? I am still laughing about the UD where, at 07:00 PM, I felt so full, so satiated ... and realized I still had 1000 cals to go.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and I truly believe this WOE is a way of having a long, healthy life. The physical changes that go along with reducing inflammation are wonderful! For me, it is worth the bother of remembering to eat on UDs.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #17

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I guess I should not say I am still eating lc because, since I no longer count carbs I have added a lot of veggies into my meals. I only eat starchy carbs a few times a week.

How do you change you thinking on UD? Read all the DD advice and reverse it. PLAN what you are going to eat on UD. Experiment with eating three (or two) meals. Make sure the food you plan to eat is available. Wake up and make a point of thinking: Today is UD I am going to enjoy eating. Set an alarm to remind you to eat each meal. Start low cal and consciously work your way up. If you keep a daily to-do list, include a description of what/when you are going to eat on the list. Eat and check it off the list. If you think of foods you enjoy - keep a list. Use said list to circle around to PLAN what you are going to eat.

How do I know? I am still laughing about the UD where, at 07:00 PM, I felt so full, so satiated ... and realized I still had 1000 cals to go.
That's a wonderful story, Nancy. LOL This one has to win some sort of JUDDD prize here.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
thanks.. i think im goin to need one!
oh now that was way too cool.. loved it!! no thought at all, just enter and boom there are your numbers!! thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #19

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
It is great isn't it. I am in the UK and my DD is in Australia, and it comes up with all our foods too.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
It is great isn't it. I am in the UK and my DD is in Australia, and it comes up with all our foods too.
awsome!! this is a tool i couldhave used when i first started eating low carb! wow thanks guys!!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Just wanted to say !! Loved what you said about this feeling like "home". Never thought of that word, exactly, but you expressed just how I feel!

I'm 57 years old but also 5'9" tall and have a similar goal as yours and started @ 5 pounds higher in August doing LC Dukan. I came on board w/ JUDD December 22nd right before the holidays and found it so great to switch over right then.

I've had lots of travel/vacation business/pleasure and some tough struggles with tragedies in my family (more travel for funerals). But, basically, I lost about 5 pounds overall (today I'm up from an up, up and away day yesterday which was totally worth it).

So thrilled with this WOE. In the past any one of those things I just mentioned would have caused a huge gain from comfort food, loss of momentum, etc; but not so w/ this. I don't gain much, even on vacation, and when I get back into a good rotation it comes back off in one or two DDs.

You are going to be amazed. So glad you are here!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
My only other suggestion, besides what you have already gotten is maybe eat better calorie choices for you DDs to get more bang for your calorie buck. I was thinking of your 200 calorie Atkins meal replacement bar and right away my mind raced to several excellent recipes on our DD recipe thread that were meat/veggies/whole grain meals that were 200 or under. And usually these recipes are a BIG serving, full bowl or plate of yummy goodness. I like BIG!!

I use a powdered coffee creamer that is 10 cals for 1 tsp. I use 1 tsp, and then add a little FF half and half or almond milk to make it light like I like it for a total of 20 calories a cup of coffee/tea. I use to "drink" lots of my DD calories but learned that I really enjoyed eating and would rather save them for something I can chew on.

It's all trial and error and all of us have found the right fit in how we do JUDDD. No way is right or wrong and the only "rule" is you stick to your UD and DD calories, as close as you can!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Welcome to juddd!
Lots of great suggestions here, try them out and you will soon find which work best for you!
Personally, I factor 2-3 coffees with powdered creamer into my Dd's cos it suppresses my appetite- whereas the same cals eaten would stimulate it!
check out the dd recipe threads, you will be amazed at just how far you can stretch your calories!

Keep us posted on your progress, and share what you have found works/ doesn't work for you!
Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Welcome to juddd!
Lots of great suggestions here, try them out and you will soon find which work best for you!
Personally, I factor 2-3 coffees with powdered creamer into my Dd's cos it suppresses my appetite- whereas the same cals eaten would stimulate it!
check out the dd recipe threads, you will be amazed at just how far you can stretch your calories!

Keep us posted on your progress, and share what you have found works/ doesn't work for you!
Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Well i could not help my self and got on my scale today...1.2 pounds.. is that water?? I reached my first goal of 210 finally and am so excited!! its been years sicnce ive seen this number...heres my next question.. on an UP day like today.. when i consume 2300 cals will i see a gain on the scale tommorrw?? should i stay off the scale? I have been kind of doing this plan but not to the extreme of 500 cal on one day.. ive always scale jumped every day to kind of gage how bad did i do the day before..on this plan should ii try to avoid looking at every day numbers?/SO excited that i made it thru one day and saw results!! oh and as far as the adkins bar.. that was a choice i made due to i knew id feel full and not have to think about (what) will i eat on a DD..
Old 03-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations on reaching goal one! It was worth all the time and hard work, I know

Yeah, most of it was probably water discarded as your body adjusts to the fat-burning enzymes beginning to flow. It still counts a goal though!

Good question about weight after an UD. Here is a link to one of Beeb's famous posts: The Scale, She Bounces

Especially at first, until the sirtuin enzymes really get established in your bod, after an UD the scale can jump a lot of pounds. Some of us can stand it and weigh every day, just to see what foods cause what reaction. Some of us weigh only after DD. Some weekly, monthly, etc.

The important thing is, if the overall trend is down, the bounces mean nothing.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 03-02-2012 at 03:46 AM..
Old 03-02-2012, 03:41 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
I'm excited for you. Even if the scale is up after an UD, it'll go back down. So glad you found JUDDD. I it!
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Congratulations on reaching goal one! It was worth all the time and hard work, I know

Good question about weight after an UD. Here is a link to one of Beeb's famous posts: The Scale, She Bounces

Especially at first, until the sirtuin enzymes really get established in your bod, after an UD the scale can jump a lot of pounds. Some of us can stand it and weigh every day, just to see what foods cause what reaction. Some of us weigh only after DD. Some weekly, monthly, etc.

The important thing is, if the overall trend is down, the bounces mean nothing.
well on that note.. i am goin tojump on tomorrw just to see what it looks like and then do my best to stay off.. i waited so long to 210 it will kill me to see it go up again.. i have a love/hate with my scale but seam to want to get on it all the time. my first 2 months on lc was easy till one day i got on and i was at 211.2 and the next day was 212, then one week later was 213 and stayed there for a full week.. i kept trying to explain it but was unable to,, no cheating, but my irregularity was the only thing i could think of..my fear then set in. it told me that i may never get back down to below 200.. that perhpas my old body was just goin to keep me prisioner above that nuber.. mind you that 200 for my height is still way over weight but... in my mind to get below that means the world.. weird huh?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not at all weird. Isn't that what we call onederland? A nice place to visit, and a great place to live!!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Not at all weird. Isn't that what we call onederland? A nice place to visit, and a great place to live!!
oh yes it is.. i will win this battle.. i am in control.. i will not let food dictate who i am no longer.. whew... now if only i can really convince my self of this ill be set lol