Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 15,140
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Oat Fiber

Other than OMMs, how do you use your oat fiber?

I got a bag a while ago, and can't do the OMMs, and I'm not sure if it's the oat fiber that makes me or something else, so I want to try it another way. Does anyone add it to anything else?

I was thinking of putting a little in some greek yogurt.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 72,111
Gallery: Dottie
I added some to canned salmon to make baked salmon patties, kind of a replacement for the cracker or bread crumbs and it worked nicely.
I imagine, because it soaks up liquid well, it could be used like that in a lot of recipes that call for bread crumbs as a binder.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
EyeDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 787
Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
Subbing. I have a bag, too. Bought it for some recipes...now I can't find the recipes!
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
theredhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 2,601
Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I've found a good use for it. Google Buttoni's (Peggy's) blog and search for her Crumble Topping. It makes a really nice apple dessert. I use a can of Lucky Leaf Sugar Free Apple Pie Filling. I just dump it in a pie dish, dot with a bit of butter, and put the topping on. (It makes enough for two, so you can freeze the rest.) Bake it for 30 minutes at 350 and you have a delicious, lower carb, low calorie dessert. My DH and I enjoy it on UDs because it's nice to have a treat that doesn't blow the calorie bank. A little Blue Bunny No Sugar Added Ice Cream on top is even better.
__________________
Laurie
5'7" female, 57 yo
DH has lost 90 pounds
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,338
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Yep. I stir it into my Greek yogurt sometimes.

I also use it to bread fish or chicken. I just roll the meat in it and then lightly grill it in EVOO. Feel like it's healthier than regular bread crumbs and it works/tastes great.

Also do the Dukan pancake and it's awesomely light and fluffy with lots of protein.

Recipe: (makes 4 or 5)

Heat pancake griddle to 375 degrees.

4 egg whites (whisk with wire whick until frothy)
half a cup of fat free, plain Greek yogurt
half a cup of oat bran
(sweeten if you like with splenda or stevia, just a bit, optional)

I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup with a long handle to deliver the batter to the grill. It takes a little longer than regular pancakes to cook, but you will know when it's ready. Just brown it on one side, then flip. I love these! They keep well in the refrigerator and are good cold as well as warmed up.
__________________
Yam-Yam

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,338
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
You can also cook it into a hot cereal. If you are gonna do it in the microwave, use a huge bowl as it will overflow in a smaller one as it cooks. I think it's something like half cup oat fiber to one cup water, nuke on high for about 3 minutes or more.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,056
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Yep. I stir it into my Greek yogurt sometimes.

I also use it to bread fish or chicken. I just roll the meat in it and then lightly grill it in EVOO. Feel like it's healthier than regular bread crumbs and it works/tastes great.

Also do the Dukan pancake and it's awesomely light and fluffy with lots of protein.

Recipe: (makes 4 or 5)

Heat pancake griddle to 375 degrees.

4 egg whites (whisk with wire whick until frothy)
half a cup of fat free, plain Greek yogurt
half a cup of oat bran
(sweeten if you like with splenda or stevia, just a bit, optional)

I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup with a long handle to deliver the batter to the grill. It takes a little longer than regular pancakes to cook, but you will know when it's ready. Just brown it on one side, then flip. I love these! They keep well in the refrigerator and are good cold as well as warmed up.
The OP was talking about oat fiber but I see you have oat bran listed in this recipe. Is it oat bran? If so it is not the same as oat fiber and I'm not sure the oat fiber would work as a replacement for oat bran in your recipe.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
the condiment queen
 
pooticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 21,468
Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
I use about 1/4c in my turkey meatloaf with veggies to act like oatmeal that I used to use.

I make lots of different "bread" and OMM with it. I also use it help bread things lightly.

I'm working on a granola recipe too.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,888
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
The OP was talking about oat fiber but I see you have oat bran listed in this recipe. Is it oat bran? If so it is not the same as oat fiber and I'm not sure the oat fiber would work as a replacement for oat bran in your recipe.
I was wondering this too. Big difference between oat bran and oat fiber, so it can matter.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,888
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Oh, and I was going to add the thought that perhaps it is the FIBER that wrecks havoc with your lower gut. Is this the problem you had with it? It affects some folks that way.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 15,140
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Yup, I'm talking about oat fiber. I've tried it twice in the OMMs and had "issues" both times. I was hoping if I used it in something else, it wouldn't be so bad. I have no issues with most fiber. I use shirataki noodles and gluc powder for things. I also eat plenty of veggies.

Now I'm not sure which of the recipes given call for oat bran and which call for oat fiber.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!
 
DD80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Desert Southwest
Posts: 1,292
Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I am allergic to oats. I didn't know this until later on in life. Do you think you have an allergy?
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 15,140
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I do fine with oatmeal and bread with oats, so I don't think that's it.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!
 
DD80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Desert Southwest
Posts: 1,292
Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I do fine with oatmeal and bread with oats, so I don't think that's it.
Maybe it's just the fiber part of it like someone else said? I have reactions like that to certain things and I can't explain it either. Like, I can have wheat bread, but wheat bran makes me feel icky. I used to have no problem with xylitol, now it is a very large and unfortunate problem for me (). It happens.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
itsmeshelly01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 1,619
Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Dawn I have the same problem with the oat fiber. I think its using so much of it all at once in the OMM. I made one just using 1T instead of 2 and I didn't have near as bad of a reaction. It also made my yummy hurt. If I just used 1 it wad ok. I used 1T oat fiber, 2T cocoa, 1T yogurt, 1T egg whites, 1T protein, 1t gluc, 1t baking powder and a little water. Very good and huge and about 60 calories. I haven't used it for anything else but I bet the breading would be good.
__________________
New grandbaby! Life is good!<img src=images/smilies/hugs_2011.gif border=0 alt= title=Hugs class=inlineimg />
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 15,140
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 View Post
Dawn I have the same problem with the oat fiber. I think its using so much of it all at once in the OMM. I made one just using 1T instead of 2 and I didn't have near as bad of a reaction. It also made my yummy hurt. If I just used 1 it wad ok. I used 1T oat fiber, 2T cocoa, 1T yogurt, 1T egg whites, 1T protein, 1t gluc, 1t baking powder and a little water. Very good and huge and about 60 calories. I haven't used it for anything else but I bet the breading would be good.
Shelly, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've been making a modified version of Leo's Brownie in a Mug for the last few days, and have had no problems. Here's my version:

6 T egg whites (50)
1 T Hershey's Natural Cocoa Powder (10)
1 T Oat Fiber
1 t Gluc Powder
1/2 t Baking Powder
1/4 C DaVinci's SF (I've used coconut, banana, and hazelnut so far and all were good)

I spray the container with a little cooking spray, mix all the ingredients, and nuke for 2 1/2 minutes. 60 calories and it's quite filling.

I think I'm fine with 1 T oat fiber, but 2 T makes me feel horrible!
__________________
Dawn

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,056
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
OMG, make the milk shake here!! You won't be sorry, I promise!!

DD Milk Shake
I made this last night and OMG it was GOOD!! Had the mouth feel of a high fat milk shake and VERY filling!!

Ingredients:
1 cup (8 oz) Calorie Countdown Fat Free Milk (35 cals) or Unsweetened Almond Milk (40 cals)

3/4 tsp Gluc powder

Nice splash of SF syrup of choice. I used Strawberry, but have also used vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter and caramel.

2 to 3 TBS sweetener.

3 to 4 ice cubes

Directions:
Put on ingredients in a blender or magic bullet and blend well until it thickens up like a milk shake. Don't over blend or you will get pudding (which is a good thing, too ) The ingredients will expand, giving you about 12 to 14 oz of "shake" when you are done.

Drink immediately!

35 to 40 calories depending on what milk product you use!
__________________

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 15,140
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm absolutely going to have to try that on my next weekend DD!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sazzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,496
Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Shelly & Dawn,

I tried making a double batch of the OMM.......oh, maybe a week or so ago.......and o my goodness, I felt terrible and that feeling spilled over into the next day.

So, I've learned the hard way that making only 1 at a time with 1 tbsp at a time of that oat fiber is the way to go. I got lazy and thought I could cut corners. Not the case!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sazzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,496
Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Linda, I did try that and I did over blend, but it sure did make for a tasty and filling pudding.

Will make another one today and not blend as long.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
2BoysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: A big ol' farmhouse in Landenberg, PA
Posts: 3,466
Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
OMG, make the milk shake here!! You won't be sorry, I promise!!

DD Milk Shake
I made this last night and OMG it was GOOD!! Had the mouth feel of a high fat milk shake and VERY filling!!

Ingredients:
1 cup (8 oz) Calorie Countdown Fat Free Milk (35 cals) or Unsweetened Almond Milk (40 cals)

3/4 tsp Gluc powder

Nice splash of SF syrup of choice. I used Strawberry, but have also used vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter and caramel.

2 to 3 TBS sweetener.

3 to 4 ice cubes

Directions:
Put on ingredients in a blender or magic bullet and blend well until it thickens up like a milk shake. Don't over blend or you will get pudding (which is a good thing, too ) The ingredients will expand, giving you about 12 to 14 oz of "shake" when you are done.

Drink immediately!

35 to 40 calories depending on what milk product you use!
Do you use any oat fiber in this?
2BoysMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.