Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 831mariposa
Stats: 148/135/135 5'5
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: 1/15/12 Atkins Induction, 1/29/12 JUDDD/LC
Food anxiety

So I believe today may be my one month anniversary of JUDDD. I've done alright, lots of slip-ups, but I'm still here!
I have heard people on this forum say this way of eating has helped their relationship with food, but I'm not feeling that way.
I still get food-greedy on my up-days, and spend my down-days uncomfortable. I find that on the down days I obsess about what I will eat the next day, and my up-days I can't even enjoy because I have anxiety all day anticipating the discomfort that the next down day will bring!
I have lost a little weight, I weighed in at around 143 today after an up day, so I'm happy to see that this diet is actually moving weight, but I keep waiting for things to get easier

How have you guys handled food anxiety?
831mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
I don't think thinking about your up day food is bad. Sometimes the anticipation makes the food even better. There is a difference of course between "thinking about" and "obsessing". If you can't get any work done, or it is harming your relationships, then that is a bad thing. If you are just happily anticipating a favorite meal, that is a good thing.

I kind of enjoy the down days. I enjoy them because I feel like going through them lets me "earn" the up day. And I like how my body has felt with aternate day fasting. I am generally happier, my libido is better, and I'm sleeping better. So, rather than dread the next day, rejoice that you only have to get through one tiny day, and then you get to eat something flavorful and satisfying and truly worth the wait. A day is actually pretty short, you know?
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I have sorta the opposite problem. I'm not enjoying my up days as much as I think I should be. I sort of tend to think that each up day should be this sensational taste experience, and it rarely lives up to the hype that I create in my own mind. I'm having to re-define my relationship with food--it's just food. It's not going to create an amazing experience every up day, it's not entertainment, it's not hype...it's just...food.

Kinda disappointing actually. Food has occupied such a huge place in my mental space for so much of my life, it's a little like finding out there is no Santa.

Okay, I'm done doing my therapy in your thread, I shoulda started my own...sorry.

I hope you figure out what works for you. I know a lot of people say they look forward to their down days, I'm sorry you're finding you're dreading them.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post
I don't think thinking about your up day food is bad. Sometimes the anticipation makes the food even better. There is a difference of course between "thinking about" and "obsessing". If you can't get any work done, or it is harming your relationships, then that is a bad thing. If you are just happily anticipating a favorite meal, that is a good thing.

I kind of enjoy the down days. I enjoy them because I feel like going through them lets me "earn" the up day. And I like how my body has felt with aternate day fasting. I am generally happier, my libido is better, and I'm sleeping better. So, rather than dread the next day, rejoice that you only have to get through one tiny day, and then you get to eat something flavorful and satisfying and truly worth the wait. A day is actually pretty short, you know?
I agree, anticipation is a wonderful thing. I'm functioning, I just find myself thinking about food all day as I go about my business. I also pace in the kitchen and do other stupid habits while at home of that nature. It's just the constant fight with myself, every dd I have to focus so hard on not saying "to hell with it all" and going into binge mode. It's hard to read that some of you have a hard time filling your up day calories! Woo!

It would be better I guess if I had more hours, but I've been home a lot lately. Going out is also a danger, because eating out is one of my favorite things. I'm hoping that as we move towards spring, things get easier because then I will have more outdoor activity options that don't include city-scape. (Which is filled with temptation!)

And yes, one day isn't so long. Must think positive, must think positive!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
I have sorta the opposite problem. I'm not enjoying my up days as much as I think I should be. I sort of tend to think that each up day should be this sensational taste experience, and it rarely lives up to the hype that I create in my own mind. I'm having to re-define my relationship with food--it's just food. It's not going to create an amazing experience every up day, it's not entertainment, it's not hype...it's just...food.

Kinda disappointing actually. Food has occupied such a huge place in my mental space for so much of my life, it's a little like finding out there is no Santa.

Okay, I'm done doing my therapy in your thread, I shoulda started my own...sorry.

I hope you figure out what works for you. I know a lot of people say they look forward to their down days, I'm sorry you're finding you're dreading them.
Is it correct that you started Juddd in 2010??? That's such a lonnnnnng time!! Wow! And you have lost so much!

I would say that I can relate even though you say we kinda have opposite problems. When I actually go to make whatever I choose for breakfast after a DD, I'm usually never as thrilled as what I had thought it would be. I guess I don't learn though, because being constantly disappointed doesn't deter me from obsessing over what the experience will be like the next up day. Ugh, I think I need a serious hobby or something to get my mind off of food.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I hope this helps some: After 7 months on JUDDD every day is just another day, UD or DD. I never think about what I'm eating until that day and if it's a DD I eat the DD foods I love and if it's an UD I eat the UD foods I love. Food is just that, food and because I can have anything I want anymore it has no power over me now!

You will get over thinking about food when this WOE is just another thing you do everyday, like brushing your teeth or combing your hair.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 02-29-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 831mariposa View Post
Is it correct that you started Juddd in 2010??? That's such a lonnnnnng time!! Wow! And you have lost so much!

I would say that I can relate even though you say we kinda have opposite problems. When I actually go to make whatever I choose for breakfast after a DD, I'm usually never as thrilled as what I had thought it would be. I guess I don't learn though, because being constantly disappointed doesn't deter me from obsessing over what the experience will be like the next up day. Ugh, I think I need a serious hobby or something to get my mind off of food.
I hear ya on that.

No, I just started JUDDD a month ago. I started in 2010 with low-carb, then migrated to watching calories then migrated to JUDDD. I've lost nine pounds on JUDDD, the rest of that was before. Yep, it's a lot, it's amazing to me...sometimes I'm amazed that I've gotten so small, and sometimes I'm amazed that I used to be that big! It's weird having a body you don't always recognize! But it's a good problem to have, and eventually I'll be used to this new reality.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I hope this helps some: After 7 months on JUDDD every day is just another day, UD or DD. I never think about what I'm eating until that day and if it's a DD I eat the DD foods I love and if it's an UD I eat the UD foods I love. Food is just that, food and because I can have anything I want anymore it has no power over me now!

You will get over thinking about food when this WOE is just another thing you do everyday, like brushing your teeth or combing your hair.
Love this. Looking forward to this state of mind. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #9

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I think what helped me was to let go completely. By that I mean I would respect my UD and DD calorie numbers, but I would just let everything else take care of itself. I just gave up any feeling I had about having to control every situation when it came to food. I, personally, didn't have to control anything anymore. The calorie numbers already took care of that. So all I had to do was relax. RELAX.

I was free to eat whatever I wanted within my calorie range. Early on I was going through a lot more of what you are facing right now.. eating choices that weren't especially good for me on UDs, trying to obtain all the gusto I could out of the foods I could eat, focusing on them strongly, and dreading the coming DD.

But by sticking it out, I not only lost weight, I found that I was able to ease off of that riveting focus on my FOOD, and could actually kick back and just take it day by day by day. After all, I'll be eating for the rest of my life. I don't need to obsess! I don't need to obsess anymore! That food is always, always, always going to be there. Every other day for the rest of my life will be an Up Day. And once I reached maintenance, all of my DDs were freer to be higher calorie too.. if I wanted them to be. It was just so, so worth it!

If you are having a really bad time facing your DDs, why don't you add an additional 100 calories to them for awhile and see if that's enough to make a fairly decent difference. Sometimes it takes awhile to get acclimated to fasting.

There's a lot more *freedom* to this plan than there is with other plans as far as the half of your days that are Up Days. Obviously, whether you're following a food plan or none at all, you can't overeat and expect to remain slim. Well... that's why many of us are here in the first place. LOL So any sane person realizes that you can't eat over your maintenance calories very often and not gain weight, but at least on THIS diet plan, you get to eat right at your maintenance calories every other day!!!... That's hugely different than any other diet plan that tries to control what you can eat or how much you can eat every day!

Not having to be on a diet every other day is better than I ever expected to be eating at this stage of my life. And it's all paid for by doing the DDs.

Good luck with this plan. Adjust your calories if you need to for awhile. And try to just relax about it all. Food is always going to be around you in this world. It's in our kitchens and half the time in our cars and our purses. LOL It's all over out there, in the fast food places on every corner. The restaurants. The grocery stores. Etc. Etc. But we don't have to eat it all immediately. It will always, ALWAYS be there. It won't disappear on us.

Hang in there. It's worth it. I promise.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post

Good thing I'm good at brushing my hair and teeth, some people are not! So there is hope for me to be good at this too!!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
I hear ya on that.

No, I just started JUDDD a month ago. I started in 2010 with low-carb, then migrated to watching calories then migrated to JUDDD. I've lost nine pounds on JUDDD, the rest of that was before. Yep, it's a lot, it's amazing to me...sometimes I'm amazed that I've gotten so small, and sometimes I'm amazed that I used to be that big! It's weird having a body you don't always recognize! But it's a good problem to have, and eventually I'll be used to this new reality.
That's a lot of hard work, go you!
I want to have the body i remember, before kids! I know it will never be the same, I may need some help from the surgeon for a couple of things *ahem* but i want to see something i haven't seen in a long time.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I think what helped me was to let go completely. By that I mean I would respect my UD and DD calorie numbers, but I would just let everything else take care of itself. I just gave up any feeling I had about having to control every situation when it came to food. I, personally, didn't have to control anything anymore. The calorie numbers already took care of that. So all I had to do was relax. RELAX.

I was free to eat whatever I wanted within my calorie range. Early on I was going through a lot more of what you are facing right now.. eating choices that weren't especially good for me on UDs, trying to obtain all the gusto I could out of the foods I could eat, focusing on them strongly, and dreading the coming DD.

But by sticking it out, I not only lost weight, I found that I was able to ease off of that riveting focus on my FOOD, and could actually kick back and just take it day by day by day. After all, I'll be eating for the rest of my life. I don't need to obsess! I don't need to obsess anymore! That food is always, always, always going to be there. Every other day for the rest of my life will be an Up Day. And once I reached maintenance, all of my DDs were freer to be higher calorie too.. if I wanted them to be. It was just so, so worth it!

If you are having a really bad time facing your DDs, why don't you add an additional 100 calories to them for awhile and see if that's enough to make a fairly decent difference. Sometimes it takes awhile to get acclimated to fasting.

There's a lot more *freedom* to this plan than there is with other plans as far as the half of your days that are Up Days. Obviously, whether you're following a food plan or none at all, you can't overeat and expect to remain slim. Well... that's why many of us are here in the first place. LOL So any sane person realizes that you can't eat over your maintenance calories very often and not gain weight, but at least on THIS diet plan, you get to eat right at your maintenance calories every other day!!!... That's hugely different than any other diet plan that tries to control what you can eat or how much you can eat every day!

Not having to be on a diet every other day is better than I ever expected to be eating at this stage of my life. And it's all paid for by doing the DDs.

Good luck with this plan. Adjust your calories if you need to for awhile. And try to just relax about it all. Food is always going to be around you in this world. It's in our kitchens and half the time in our cars and our purses. LOL It's all over out there, in the fast food places on every corner. The restaurants. The grocery stores. Etc. Etc. But we don't have to eat it all immediately. It will always, ALWAYS be there. It won't disappear on us.

Hang in there. It's worth it. I promise.

Thank you for all your wisdom.
I try my hardest most DDs and if I feel like I'm dying (lol) I do find a small snack, even if my numbers go up.

I so, so love what you say about food always going to be there. Most of us are fortunate to have food and if we don't there are resources to get food. We are not the severely impoverished people from a third-world country, the fact we have over-indulged and now need to restrict calories to lose weight says enough. Now that I think of it, If I start counting my blessings, maybe things will be easier for me mentally.

"I have food, I'm not running out. There will be food tomorrow, there will be food the day after that, I have enough days in my life to try everything more than once."
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
I can't speak for JUDDD yet because I have only been doing this for about a month... but I noticed that when I did LC one day the obsession with food just stopped. I knew what I could and couldn't eat- I didn't have to count and obsess! It was amazing! I am still waiting for that to happen with JUDDD, I believe that once I figure out what my personal DD staples are and get more comfortable with how many calories are in what ( though it seems like that might NEVER happen! ) that things will get easier!

Good luck!!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
One other thing that I have noticed helps is to shift your thinking from denying yourself to taking care of yourself.

Frankly, it feels good to give my body a "rest" every other day. To let it clear out a bit, to give it more liquids and less "stuff" to deal with. It's oddly calming in a way if you think about the benefits you are giving yourself.

Also the knowledge that whatever you want will be there tomorrow, and that you can certainly have it then is helpful.

Really learn to listen to your body well on down days. If you are ravenous....well, eat something. Protein, veggies, fruit - don't let yourself get shaky and crazy. But just focus on "resting" your body instead of depriving it.

Everybody's style of eating on these days differ a little. I do wait until I am truly hungry for my first meal - and then I keep it simple. But then I have small things throughout the day when my body gives me a signal it needs something.

So, find what works best for you. Don't let yourself get to the "chew your left arm off" place. It's often shocking to me how much a small piece of cheese (Babyel Light is perfect) a few carrots or cucumbers or a slice of turkey will do when the hungries sneak up.

Consider this truly caring for your body and yourself.

If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way. If you don't you'll find an excuse.

Team in Trainining alumni - San Diego marathon 2005. Half marathon in San Francisco 2007! Working hard to wipe out blood cancers.
2BoysMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
JUDDD is helping me change my relationship with food...I can feel it. I now know that when I have something, it's not the "last time I'm going to eat it" so I don't have to eat as much as I can. I find myself actually just planning to eat something on the next UD, so I sort of think 2 days in advance. As the days wear on, I find myself less and less concerned about getting it all in on the UD because the DD is going to be sucky because I know that I'll have another UD after that. I like that.

I hope you find your "sweet spot" with JUDDD. I think we all will, it just takes time.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BoysMom View Post
One other thing that I have noticed helps is to shift your thinking from denying yourself to taking care of yourself.

Frankly, it feels good to give my body a "rest" every other day. To let it clear out a bit, to give it more liquids and less "stuff" to deal with. It's oddly calming in a way if you think about the benefits you are giving yourself.

Also the knowledge that whatever you want will be there tomorrow, and that you can certainly have it then is helpful.

Really learn to listen to your body well on down days. If you are ravenous....well, eat something. Protein, veggies, fruit - don't let yourself get shaky and crazy. But just focus on "resting" your body instead of depriving it.

Everybody's style of eating on these days differ a little. I do wait until I am truly hungry for my first meal - and then I keep it simple. But then I have small things throughout the day when my body gives me a signal it needs something.

So, find what works best for you. Don't let yourself get to the "chew your left arm off" place. It's often shocking to me how much a small piece of cheese (Babyel Light is perfect) a few carrots or cucumbers or a slice of turkey will do when the hungries sneak up.

Consider this truly caring for your body and yourself.

I like this idea. I need to think this way about a lot of things, not just food in my life.

Thank you
Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
There for awhile, I was going hog wild on UD's and getting frustrated because (naturally) my weight was going up instead of the way I wanted it to go. I still had the fear that what I had planned out for meals wasn't going to fill me up. Over the last week, I have been sticking to my DD and UD meal plans perfectly (I write the menus and calorie counts out the night before) because I have forced myself to slow way down when I eat. Today I ate my lunch so slowly that it took me at least 45 minutes to finish it. All my life I've always been rushed to eat at meal times (I worked at a factory for 6 1/2 years where I had 18 minutes for lunch break) so everytime I ate, I more or less inhaled it so I could get back to work, class, whatever. I never really had a chance to actually ENJOY eating until now. And I tell you what, I savor every bite and I don't have the digestion problems I always had before.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
It took a couple of months for me to get over the UD thrill of being able to eat the world after being carb deprived for so long. Now I have reached the point where I have to stop and think if it is an UD or a DD. Had to check the calendar one day so I think I have arrived.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #19

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
It took a couple of months for me to get over the UD thrill of being able to eat the world after being carb deprived for so long. Now I have reached the point where I have to stop and think if it is an UD or a DD. Had to check the calendar one day so I think I have arrived.
I did that the other day. It really is freeing when you realize it's just another day. I don't dread down days, and I don't revel in up days. They are just days, each with their benefits and drawbacks.

Yippee for us!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote