Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kim6980
Stats: 275/180.4
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 10/11/2011 started LC
1939/485????

Hi all!! I was 275 10/2011 and I am now bouncing from 179-184! I am not too concerned with weight loss at this point as I am pretty happy where I am. Wouldn't mind another 5-10 lb loss, but I am really looking for good maintenance. I would love to try Judd. I have looked at the Dr Johnson website and input my info and the calculator says 1939 for up and 485 for down. Does this sound right to all??? Am I to understand that I do a dd FIRST? Then just eat 485 calories that day, then 1900 the next and so on and so forth? What about the induction week? How is this different? If there is a thread with all that info, I am sorry for asking in the wrong spot. THanks all for any info! <3
Kim6980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Sorry I'm not qualified to answer your questions,
IMHO I'm not even qualified to give an opinion,
but I wanted to say

and tell you about this thread- WHAT IS JUDDD? COME INSIDE AND SEE!!
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Hi Kim!! Are you trying to maintain or lose more weight? This will make a difference in your calorie numbers on the JUDDD calculator. That DD number seems low for someone trying to maintain, this is why I'm asking.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim6980 View Post
Hi all!! I was 275 10/2011 and I am now bouncing from 179-184!
Wow 90 pounds in 5 months! That's some magic! How'd you manage that?
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I went to a clinic and did the B shots and diet supplements. It was 500 calories a day, mostly meat, cheese, and eggs. I guess I am maintaing now, more than anything. I think I need a plan to help me stick with my new weight. I do okay most days, but sometimes I feel the urge to just eat eat eat constantly!!! So, in JUDD do you count carbs at all? And when I start the website said to use only pre packaged foods......did anyone have luck without them??? And thankyou Pami! I did see that thread after I posted, I do not know why I did not see it before!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I didn't do the shakes, I just counted everything I ate. I did egg white cartons for my early down days because they were easy and portioned, I also added ham cubes and low fat cheese to make omelettes, but I weighed EVERYTHING. I still weigh everything but now I eat whatever on down days, I still try to do protein first (it fills me up) but I also eat a lot of pickles (5 calories each!) and laughing cow cheese wedges with melba toast as a snack. I don't count carbs anymore, I just count calories. But I do weigh everything, and write everything down, I don't eat it if I didn't write it down first. But for example today (up day) I had cereal and milk, italian sausage and rice, salad, and ice cream. Not particularly low carb! I still have 400 calories left and it's 9pm.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #7

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
I actually think those who use the packaged products in the first two weeks are
in the minority. I believe most of us just ate regular foods, and counted calories.
The reason those products are recommended, IIRC, is for ease of counting and/or
tracking calories on your first few DDs. I know I didn't do any bars or shakes in my
first two weeks, and I did really well- but I was losing. I prefer to NOT eat on my
DDs, though I did eat some calories in the first month. Maintenance is still a ways
off for me. Good luck to you!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~

Last edited by Pami; 02-28-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will start tomorrow. Since my diet I was on was 500 calories I believe I will do fine with REAL food. I too am used to weighing my meat and cheeses. Thanks a lot again!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Kim! You have lost so much weight already! And JUDDD is a great way to lose weight and leads to amazingly stable maintenance!

I am curious whether, after months at 500 calories, you already have the sirtuin enzymes that suppress hunger and enhance health & weight loss, or whether you have somehow moved beyond that. Please let us know how JUDD goes for you.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Kim! You have lost so much weight already! And JUDDD is a great way to lose weight and leads to amazingly stable maintenance!

I am curious whether, after months at 500 calories, you already have the sirtuin enzymes that suppress hunger and enhance health & weight loss, or whether you have somehow moved beyond that. Please let us know how JUDD goes for you.
I will keep you updated. Today is going ok. I still have about 100 calories left. I am trying not to take a pill to suppress hunger.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
I went to a clinic and did the B shots and diet supplements. It was 500 calories a day, mostly meat, cheese, and eggs. I guess I am maintaing now, more than anything. I think I need a plan to help me stick with my new weight. I do okay most days, but sometimes I feel the urge to just eat eat eat constantly!!! So, in JUDD do you count carbs at all? And when I start the website said to use only pre packaged foods......did anyone have luck without them??? And thankyou Pami! I did see that thread after I posted, I do not know why I did not see it before!!!
if you cant control that urge to eat all day then you are not eating enough protein for breakfast. keep upping the protein until appetite is gone all day long. for me it was 12 oz steak when i first got up. not easy to get it in. but no hunger or nibbling impulses for 10 hrs.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #12

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasina838 View Post
if you cant control that urge to eat all day then you are not eating enough protein for breakfast. keep upping the protein until appetite is gone all day long. for me it was 12 oz steak when i first got up. not easy to get it in. but no hunger or nibbling impulses for 10 hrs.
Hard to do that 12 oz steak thing on Down Days for a lot of folks though, since they are so often eating at 500 calories and often many fewer for that entire day, and the 12 oz steaks are so often nearly 700 calories and even more, depending on the cut of steak.

It often takes awhile to get *JUDDD adjusted* and experience pretty decent appetite suppression on DDs from it, but that is one of the benefits we experience after doing this for awhile. Appetite just seems to become a whole lot more normalized. Woo Hoo!

And, of course, if you are hungry on your Up Days, there's a world of food out there for you to choose from, and the only thing you need to keep an eye on is to not exceed your UD calories. (well, very much or very often)

Getting JUDDD-adapted has a few trials and tribulations, just as getting Keto-adapted does, etc. And then shortly, you're an old hand at it, and it is easy-peasy and oh so effective!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Am I understanding correctly also that induction phase of 2 weeks is 500 cals on DD? So after that would I weigh in again and use the calculator to figure my new totals? When I input today it told me DD would be 387. That seems so little!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #14

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
A lot of people never end up going under 500 and continue to lose just fine.

I didn't think I could do my 469 I was given initially, and honestly, I've never even come close to it. I'm almost always between 200-400.

You'll find what works best for you.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #15

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Am I understanding correctly also that induction phase of 2 weeks is 500 cals on DD? So after that would I weigh in again and use the calculator to figure my new totals? When I input today it told me DD would be 387. That seems so little!!!
If you do that, you will be one of the very few! LOL

Most of us do 500 calorie DDs right from the start. Usually. If we can. But there are many of us who couldn't hold to that low number at our beginning in JUDDD, so we started at a somewhat higher number. 600 or 700 DD calories, as an example. Beeb started at 700 calories for DDs and lost her weight so fast she never had a chance (or need) to go lower.

OK, so... after the 2-week induction (which I don't even know why there is anything called an induction on JUDDD anyway) many choose to continue eating at tht 500 calorie number, which is almost always somewhat higher than their 20% or 25% number and even higher than their 30% DD number is sometimes.

Now obviously, the lower you can stay on your DDs, the faster you will lose weight if you have a few more pounds you want off, although you look quite slim and trim in the avi pic. And if you are in maintenance, your DD calories won't even have to be as low as 500 most often.

After we've been doing JUDDD for awhile, the low-calories on Down Days gets to be a whole lot easier, so then many of us go even lower. But that's an individual choice and isn't necessary to get great weight loss and health benefits from JUDDD.

It's up to you. As you get into it more, you'll just naturally zero in on what you want to do in this regard.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Another approach is to eat at the DD calories that allow you to lose. If you stall, recalculate - it is probably time to reduce those DD (and possibly UD) cals. Since you have so little to lose, this should never be an issue for you.

PS Love the avi - you look great!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Hard to do that 12 oz steak thing on Down Days for a lot of folks though, since they are so often eating at 500 calories and often many fewer for that entire day, and the 12 oz steaks are so often nearly 700 calories and even more, depending on the cut of steak.

It often takes awhile to get *JUDDD adjusted* and experience pretty decent appetite suppression on DDs from it, but that is one of the benefits we experience after doing this for awhile. Appetite just seems to become a whole lot more normalized. Woo Hoo!

And, of course, if you are hungry on your Up Days, there's a world of food out there for you to choose from, and the only thing you need to keep an eye on is to not exceed your UD calories. (well, very much or very often)

Getting JUDDD-adapted has a few trials and tribulations, just as getting Keto-adapted does, etc. And then shortly, you're an old hand at it, and it is easy-peasy and oh so effective!
well you woudnt do 12 oz of steak on a DD. was just speaking generally. my DDs are 400 cals. on my DDs for breakfast i eat 9.6 oz of buffalo for a total of 260 cals and 57 g protein. that is what matters; getting in over 50 g protein.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
i used the cals defined by the calculator from day one. 400 cals.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #19

Quote:
i used the cals defined by the calculator from day one. 400 cals.
And yes, many do as you do but many, including me, figured I was setting myself up for failure from the first moment because I could have never done the 365 calories that was suggested for my DDs.

JUDDD is NOT a plan that is so strict that you can't bend the rules some, when needed, to make it work. I am PROOF of this and I am still bending the rules and adjusting. Like Pat says and I have stated on many posts about this subject, I started at 700 and never lowered it a bit. As a matter of fact I last so quickly on those numbers I thought I was sick. Here are a few threads about this: Don't Let Those DD Calories Scare You Into NOT Trying JUDDD!
Anyone Losing on 650 Calorie DD's?
There is also a thread I started that talks about the fact I couldn't STOP losing weight and actually needed to up my calories to maintain.

It's not a "one sized, fits all" WOE and even in his book Dr. J says to do what will work for you to give JUDDD the best chance!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
And yes, many do as you do but many, including me, figured I was setting myself up for failure from the first moment because I could have never done the 365 calories that was suggested for my DDs.

JUDDD is NOT a plan that is so strict that you can't bend the rules some, when needed, to make it work. I am PROOF of this and I am still bending the rules and adjusting. Like Pat says and I have stated on many posts about this subject, I started at 700 and never lowered it a bit. As a matter of fact I last so quickly on those numbers I thought I was sick. Here are a few threads about this: Don't Let Those DD Calories Scare You Into NOT Trying JUDDD!
Anyone Losing on 650 Calorie DD's?
There is also a thread I started that talks about the fact I couldn't STOP losing weight and actually needed to up my calories to maintain.

It's not a "one sized, fits all" WOE and even in his book Dr. J says to do what will work for you to give JUDDD the best chance!
well i have not been doing this long. but after years on and off on hcg and 500 cals per day it seemed very easy for me to do the recommended 20% of UD cals from day one.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #21

Quote:
well i have not been doing this long. but after years on and off on hcg and 500 cals per day it seemed very easy for me to do the recommended 20% of UD cals from day one.
You are one of the lucky ones that can do this. Many of us can't and that is the reason I am saying if a person feels that doing the suggested 500 calories or lower will not work for them, then do what will work.

Nothing is written in stone on JUDDD, thank the powers that be!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

To be honest I really have not been calculating my cals I think I am jusy ready to maintain and I am over calorie counting. What i do is just stick strictly to LOW carb, no cheat snacking on everyother day, then everyother day eat things I would not normally eat on a "DD". Like maybe have a shake at work. Or eat a small portion of spaghetti, or have a small burger WITH the bun. I have been doing well, not gaining!!! My scale read 176 today, which was a low day. For the past week it has bounced from 179-181.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Kim: I really think you should go back to the JUDD website. Use the pull down menu on the calculator and choose the "maintaining" mode. See what it suggests for DD calorie intake.

I think it would be a great idea for you to maintain for a while. Do the maintain calorie level and see where it leads. Then if you really want to lose, reduce to WLM which is 45% and below. The pull down menu will give you options and will calculate the numbers for you.

Congratulations on your great loss!!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #24

Quote:
To be honest I really have not been calculating my cals I think I am jusy ready to maintain and I am over calorie counting. What i do is just stick strictly to LOW carb, no cheat snacking on everyother day, then everyother day eat things I would not normally eat on a "DD". Like maybe have a shake at work. Or eat a small portion of spaghetti, or have a small burger WITH the bun. I have been doing well, not gaining!!! My scale read 176 today, which was a low day. For the past week it has bounced from 179-181.
I need to say this and please don't take it as a lecture. JUDDD works well when we work the plan AS SUGGESTED. This means we count our calories on DDs and try to eat up to those UD calories. The way you are doing it does not sound like our JUDDD but just a WOE that is LC one day and lower calorie the next day, as I'm seeing it. I know you have lost and seem to be maintaining, but I'm thinking that those losses would be a little quicker and probably a little more if you did the JUDDD plan as suggested.

And I'm really not sure if the plan you have done here for yourself is giving you the health benefits that JUDDD's UD/DD WOE does for us.

Just my thoughts and opinions and nothing more.