Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Lupus and JUDDD

Just curious if any of my fellow JUDDDers have lupus, and if so, have you had relief of any of your symptoms which you attribute to the anti-inflammatory properties of this WOE?

I have a family history on both sides of my family, and have recently developed a butterfly rash and some fatigue and joint pain--both the fatigue and joint pain are very minor. I have Raynaud's which is an indicator for lupus, but I've had that since my teens. I'm sure it's probably nothing, but I'm going to get it checked out just to be safe.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
No Lupus Dawn although I do have Raynaud's.

Glad you are getting it checked out.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I have psoriasis and hypothyroid (probably hashimoto's, but not diagnosed), and am prone to inflammatory reactions. Heck, my allergies are enough to kick my butt!

I've only been on this for a few weeks (3? I need to keep better track of dates) and haven't noticed too much of a difference in my psoriasis. I have an "outbreak" on my hands right now and they seem like they are doing better, but I've been soaking in dead sea salts, so it may be just that and not diet. I'm on medication for the hypo and have felt pretty good (absent my migraine/deadly death sickness of last week )

I do hope to reap some benefit though! Keep us updated on your progress!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #4

I was able to get in to see a doctor this afternoon. I was afraid the rash would go away if I waited too long and I'd look like a hypochondriac (which I am, but I don't want to look like one!). Will have bloodwork back in about a week, which may or may not be conclusive. They're also testing for thyroid issues (but given the fact that I've lost 40 lbs in the last 4 months, I doubt there's anything there), and a couple of other things too.

I was in full Raynaud's flare at the Dr.'s office. The poor phlebotemist couldn't find a vein for the life of her, and I froze her when she touched my ice-cold hands. And it was an UD today!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh Dawn, I am praying for you! I am so glad you decided to go to the doctor.

DD, I have psoriasis on both of my ankles. Rubbing it down with Coconut Oil keeps it under control most of the time. But it still pops up in cold weather. I will get some sea salt.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Oh Dawn, I am praying for you! I am so glad you decided to go to the doctor.

DD, I have psoriasis on both of my ankles. Rubbing it down with Coconut Oil keeps it under control most of the time. But it still pops up in cold weather. I will get some sea salt.
Dawn - I hope all goes well!

YES! Coconut oil is wonderful! I have some spots (like the back of my ankles) that get psoriasis because things rub against my skin. When I put the coconut oil (and I also have this ginger oil spray that I mix with it and shea butter), those spots soften, but then they HURT! I guess I need my "callouses" there!

Dead sea salt soaks really help! I bought mine online...a long time ago, I believe from: Dead Sea Salt - Free Shipping - San Francisco Salt Company

I buy it in bulk. I use about 1/2-1 cup in a pyrex bowl for my hands, but in a bath, I think you are supposed to use 2 cups. It should be pretty salty and you should do it every night if you are having a bad outbreak.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Dawn, I'm sorry you have these health issues and I sincerely hope you do not have Lupus! Keep us updated, for sure!

DD80 and Gotsomeold, I'm a terrible eczema sufferer and have been broken out around my eyes for about nine months. I've spent hours on the internet trying to find SOMETHING that helps. The itching drives me wild and I feel so terribly ugly when my eyes are swollen and have pink rings around them. It's very cyclical. It DOES get a little better some days, then breaks out all over again. I just started using Dead Sea salt baths myself and although I haven't really cleared up, I have great hope. I'm also visiting the tanning salon for short sessions, as I seem to do better overall in the summer months.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I just wanted to connect with you on skin issues and let you know I sympathize. Psoriasis and eczema are evil! I hope the Dead Sea Salts work for us all.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Dawn, I'm sorry you're going through this, and I'm glad you got tested. I hope you are OK, and that the symptoms are not lupus. Let us know what you find out.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
Dawn, I'm sorry you have these health issues and I sincerely hope you do not have Lupus! Keep us updated, for sure!

DD80 and Gotsomeold, I'm a terrible eczema sufferer and have been broken out around my eyes for about nine months. I've spent hours on the internet trying to find SOMETHING that helps. The itching drives me wild and I feel so terribly ugly when my eyes are swollen and have pink rings around them. It's very cyclical. It DOES get a little better some days, then breaks out all over again. I just started using Dead Sea salt baths myself and although I haven't really cleared up, I have great hope. I'm also visiting the tanning salon for short sessions, as I seem to do better overall in the summer months.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I just wanted to connect with you on skin issues and let you know I sympathize. Psoriasis and eczema are evil! I hope the Dead Sea Salts work for us all.
More of a t/j, sorry....

I get psoriasis (at least that's what I think it is) on my eyelids/in the inner corners of my eyes sometimes. It helps to keep my eyes well-moisturized. The best eye cream I have found is Eminence herbal eye contour cream. It is expensive (I try to wait for sales at the salon), but it lasts a long time. I think I bought this last jar 6 months ago and I've got a few more weeks left. Anyway, I've tried lots of products and this one is perfect. Seriously. And I don't say that about many things. I have very sensitive skin, it's dry, and I have bad allergies, and this is very soothing and NOT GREASY! I apply my regular lotion over it. I also find that a dab of nyastatin (anti-fungal cream) can help when it's really bad as well. Some excema/psoriasis outbreaks have to do with yeast (IMHO).

Sun is also great for your skin - as long as you don't burn! So, keep up the tanning! (UVB is best, but most tanning beds are UVA, which will work too). I'd also recommend taking a Vit D and coconut oil (and caprylic acid) supplement.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #10

T/J away ladies! I'm learning lots. I have sebhorreic dermatitis which is similar to psoriasis, but the way I understand it is it's caused more by overactive oil glands. I'm always looking for good products to use, and the treatments are often the same used for psoriasis or eczema. DD has very mild eczema as well.

I've also read that many of these conditions are caused by wheat/gluten sensitivity. Along with any sort of fungal conditions. This sort of thing is really interesting to me.

Update re lupus: I called to make my follow up appt. with the doctor, and found out she's going to be out all next week. If I don't receive a call, then my bloodwork was okay. If I receive a call, it's because they don't want to wait for her to return. Either way, I'm not stressing.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #11

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Keeping fingers crossed about this for you!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Dawn, that sounds like it'll come out all right. I've said a little prayer.

I was really, really hoping I'd be cleared up, at least some, by today because our band is starting a four-night run tonight. I HATE appearing in public looking like this, although I know I probably don't look as bad to others as I do to myself. It's not to zero in on the problem spots. I've actually had some really good days recently, and I'm hoping the tanning is helping, but I've also broken out again and again.

I'd read that a fungus could be involved, somehow, but I've been afraid to apply an antifungal medicine to my eye area. Do you think it would safe? It sure makes sense. Also, I'm a long-time coconut oil lover, and unfortunately, it doesn't really do anything dramatic for me, eczema-wise. I've also been taking serious Vit D3 supps for a couple of years (had my levels tested and they're great!), and Krill Oil, all the wonderful Omega 3's that are supposed to help your skin from the inside out. Nothing works.

As far as moisturizers, I'm very happy to have recently found something called Cerave lotion. It was recommended by my granddaughter's pediatrician for her mild eczema (triggered by wheat!). It's different than other moisturizers because it has been discovered that people with this kind of skin disorder have a problem with the moisture barrier, lacking ceramides. This lotion contains ceramides and it does seem to help heal my skin faster from an outbreak. It seemed to clear up the eczema on my legs all by itself, and it's really helped the constant breakouts on my fingers to all but go away now.

The only thing you mentioned, DD80, that I wasn't familiar with is caprylic acid. I'll have to google that one. I appreciate the suggestions. You never know when you'll stumble on something that helps.

Again, sorry for the threadjack, but I appreciate the response.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
The only thing you mentioned, DD80, that I wasn't familiar with is caprylic acid. I'll have to google that one. I appreciate the suggestions. You never know when you'll stumble on something that helps.

Again, sorry for the threadjack, but I appreciate the response.
All of us with skin conditions do research to the hilt it seems. I have also heard of cerave and heard good things. I'll have to look it up again. I think I didn't buy it because it still had parabens in it? Something I try to stay away from. The Eminence is natural and seriously...it is the best for your eyes.

Caprylic acid used a a bodybuilding "helper" and as an antifungal. Yeast hate it. I take it along with the coconut oil and something called "kolorex" for that reason. I, like you, take massive amounts of D and fish oil. Curcumin, biotin...anything that might be good for skin, hair, inflammation!

Use an antifungal. I think it will help. Neem oil is a natural antifungal. It smells bad, but mix it with some coconut oil and rub on the affected area as often as you can. I have had good experiences with the neem. I wash my face with a neem based soap...very good for my skin!

DAWN! Glad to hear that you will find out soon! I always go to the Dr and get my bloodwork myself. I'm annoying. I've had them not call me...come to find out I had MONO...yeah, something that I may need to know. Anyway, I like to look at and scrutinize all my numbers myself. If it weren't for that, I would have never been able to push to get a hypothyroid diagnosis as my numbers were "normal" according to the lab sheet ranges.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #14

Got a call this morning (on a Saturday!) that they got my blood tests back and want me to come in to go over them. The doctor won't be back until next Saturday, but she'd like to see me then.

This office does have weekend hours, so I guess I'm still not too concerned. They did say if there was nothing abnormal, they wouldn't call me, so I know there's something. She ran tests for Lupus, RA, Gout, and a thyroid panel (I think that's all).

I have hyperuricemia, which in me causes uric acid kidney stones, but I have no other symptoms of gout. It's entirely possible my bloodwork is just going to show excessive uric acid, which I already know about. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

My fatigue has gotten worse. I took a 2 hour nap today. I NEVER nap. I could have slept longer except Keira wanted help with something and woke me up. I fell down while roller skating this morning, which wouldn't normally worry me, except that's the 4th time in a month I've fallen, twice was while simply walking. I'm not the most graceful person in the world, but I'm not really prone to falling! It's rather embarrassing!

Wouldn't it be great (in a backwards sort of way) if the bloodwork shows no problems except low thyroid function? I'm sure that's not it, but I wouldn't mind a little help speeding up the old thyroid!

I'm mostly just trying to wrap my mind around all the possibilities and am starting to stress now, even though I told myself I wouldn't. Thanks JUDDD Buddds for letting me get this all down and work through it on "paper." I'm going to be so relieved when I go in next Saturday and the dr. tells me there's nothing wrong but a little uric acid overload! Fingers crossed anyway! Pity party over!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #15

It's going to be OK, Hon.

The important thing is to have had the testing done so that whatever *issues* are found can be dealt with. And then once everything has been addressed, your health and function can improve too.

We're here for you. Talk it all out whenever you want to. Sorry about the kidney stone issue. ACK. Maybe there is a med or diet change that can end that from happening?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
It's going to be OK, Hon.

The important thing is to have had the testing done so that whatever *issues* are found can be dealt with. And then once everything has been addressed, your health and function can improve too.

We're here for you. Talk it all out whenever you want to. Sorry about the kidney stone issue. ACK. Maybe there is a med or diet change that can end that from happening?
Thanks Pat. The uric acid issue is a whole other story. There are two medicines they can prescribe. I took the first one (Alopurinol) for 6 weeks and nearly died from a rare reaction to it. I'm afraid to take the other (Uloric) just because of what happened with the first. The best dietary advice I've gotten is to go vegetarian. I am eating less meat, though I do still eat quite a bit. Mostly I just drink plenty of water. The rest of it will work itself out.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Like Pat said, we're here for you - talk about it all you want. I hope it's as you said, that the bloodwork is showing the lesser of the evils.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I am interested to hear what your bloodwork says. I hope it is "just" low thyroid!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
WOE: JUDDD
Dawm,

Isn't it uplifting how caring all your JUDDD BUDS are!! Praying for the best possible outcome for you.

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
WOE: JUDDD
SORRRRRRRRRY......Having issues of my own here! I misspelled your name.

Brain fart It's Dawn, D.A.W.N.
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitnow View Post
Dawm,

Isn't it uplifting how caring all your JUDDD BUDS are!! Praying for the best possible outcome for you.

Phyl
Absolutely. I my JUDDD BUDDDs! They're the best!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm really hoping for some good news for you on Sat! Or lesser of bad news, you know what I mean.

I wonder if some of this that's going on could be a result of how fast you've dropped so much weight? I mean, you have been the JUDDD weight-loss like nobody's business! And that's a great thing, but wondering if it has released some "toxins" into you from the fat cells that were previously holding them? And the toxins need to work their way out and may be manifesting as these rashes and immune reactions... ?

Related to that, since you've lost so fast and effectively, the "good stress" on the body from JUDDD may have been a bit of an overload to your system lately... Just thinking here, but no matter what I look forward to your result Saturday and hoping for the best for you!!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #23

Thanks Sophie. I'm back to not worrying about it. Whatever happens is going to happen whether or not I let myself get stressed.

I also wonder if it could be related to the quick loss. I'm pretty sure the hives I get periodically are from toxins being released from those pesky fat cells, so it stands to reason, the rest of it could be too.

I'll update on Saturday after I've spoken with the doctor.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #24

Thinking about this. Anxious to hear what the doc tells you.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Thanks Sophie. I'm back to not worrying about it. Whatever happens is going to happen whether or not I let myself get stressed.

I also wonder if it could be related to the quick loss. I'm pretty sure the hives I get periodically are from toxins being released from those pesky fat cells, so it stands to reason, the rest of it could be too.

I'll update on Saturday after I've spoken with the doctor.
I hope to hear good news!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #26

How's it going Dawn.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #27

It's going okay. The fatigue's kicking my butt and I'm waking several times in the night with joint pain, but the rash has pretty much gone away, which makes me think it's probably not Lupus!

I should know more soon. Thanks for thinking of me.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #28

Big hug, and keep smiling through, the way you always do...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
It's going okay. The fatigue's kicking my butt and I'm waking several times in the night with joint pain, but the rash has pretty much gone away, which makes me think it's probably not Lupus!

I should know more soon. Thanks for thinking of me.
Weird question - do you take a glucosamine supplement? I have taken them for joint pain and they make things ten times worse for me. I can't believe the pain!

Hyaluronic acid has been good to me, along with different oils. Don't be afraid of a good epsom salt bath and some ice packs/heating pads.

I remember when my thyroid started to go. Thyroid tired is like nothing I've ever felt before. It's like someone has poured lead into my body. It's hard to describe. I used to go to pee at work and almost fall asleep on the toilet! It was awful. I hope they get it figured out soon.

I hope you get relief soon!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #30

I don't take glucosamine. It was recommended years ago for arthritis I have in my hip. I took it for a month or so with no change, so I quit taking it.

They're testing my thyroid function too. The way I feel sounds similar to your description. I wasn't even this bone-tired when my daughter wasn't sleeping through the night yet. It's awful. I don't think they'll find anything with my thyroid though, because I don't think I'd be losing weight so well if that was the issue.

With my luck it's all in my head and they'll prescribe psych meds. Although that might be fun.