Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Curious about JUDDD and low carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/759778-curious-about-juddd-low-carb.html)

carla70 02-27-2012 07:53 AM

Curious about JUDDD and low carb

Hi everyone - I am trying to eat fairly low carb and I am doing ok, but I am interested in JUDDD also. I see that I can do both lc and JUDDD.

Here is my questions:

Do you have the same Up/Down days each week? or Did you just start and go from there so it isn't always the same each week which days are up and down?

Those that are low carbers, did you stay low carb or start eating some carbs and counting calories for JUDDD?

Sorry for so many questions..

Thanks, I am thinking this might be what my body needs to kick start into some serious weight loss.

KeirasMom 02-27-2012 08:22 AM

Hi Carla, and :welcome: !

Some people do the same UDs and DDs each week, but it's recommended that you do at least 2 weeks to a full month of the straight alternations.

I thought I would want my UDs and DDs to fall on the same days each week, but after a week or so, I realized it doesn't really matter, and weight loss seems to be more steady without manipulating the schedule. If you do the same days each week, you ultimately need to have 2 UDs in a row or an UD and MD (mid day = UD X DD divided by 2), and it's just not worth it to me to slow my loss.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and happy losing!

carla70 02-27-2012 08:26 AM

Dawn,

Thanks for the reply, I see that the rotation will be the best route. Also, I see you did Atkins, are you still following a low carb diet while on JUDDD?

lovinlowcarb 02-27-2012 08:35 AM

I would like to hear from someone who has done JUDD and lc together and what were the results. Thanks for your help.

KeirasMom 02-27-2012 08:44 AM

I stopped doing low carb, simply because it was no longer giving me the results I wanted. I took a weekend off, carbed up, and used the weight I was on the Monday morning that I started as my "starting weight" for JUDDD. This worked great for me, but there are a bunch of people here who still low carb, or do Paleo or Primal, or are vegetarian. Whatever WOE you feel the best with will work with JUDDD. I was feeling deprived on Atkins and knew since my loss had slowed that I wouldn't be able to stick with it long term. I enjoy my wine, and oatmeal, and pasta too much. With JUDDD I've been able to eat them and still average nearly 3 lbs/week loss, so I'm one happy camper!!

Perhaps one of our low carb JUDDDers will pop in shortly to give you both their advice and experience.

carla70 02-27-2012 08:49 AM

Dawn, That is so good to hear. I have been doing low carb but it is harder this time. My son is vegetarian and I am thinking his food and some of his recipes for DD would be perfect. I miss eating fruit and rice and I also really like oatmeal. Especially in cold MN. I think this might be the key to success for me.

Only part that I am worried about is that I really really have a hard time tracking everything I eat.

I also get so many recipes that I want to try in new cookbooks. I have some new cooking light ones :)

THANK YOU!!!!!!

gotsomeold 02-27-2012 09:35 AM

Hello Carla and

Tracking calories takes practice and time. But it does become second nature. Pat (SoHappy) put together this list to help us.

For me, the benefits are amazing and worth every minute spent researching calories in this or that recipe.

:jumpjoy: And, sometimes I find out something I really, really want has less calories than I thought it would. Golly, THAT is a satisfying feeling!

mykidsteacher 02-27-2012 09:53 AM

I'm not lc, but I am paleo/primal. I typically get about 60-90g carbs on an UD, but they are not grain/sugar carbs. They are from nuts, veggies, a little fruit, and the incidentals in my protein foods. About once a week, I eat half a baked potato with supper. Dd's I stay around 30g carbs.

I tried to add grains and sugar when I first started, and had some blood sugar spikes in the 160's-170's, so backed off that again. It also led to increased cravings and hunger.

It is def doable lc. But it's also possible to add a bit more so you don't feel deprived if you want to.

carla70 02-27-2012 10:57 AM

Thanks Nancy and Tina - I know it will be worth it to track. That list is very helpful also. I still have food scale on counter also. I also know there are certain carbs I need to try to stay away from and/or only have in very small amounts.

I am excited about starting this.

Bonnie 02-27-2012 11:32 AM

I still low carb. I'm hoping to be able to add some good carbs back in but I won't eat sugar and starches. I eat an occasional slice of low calorie bread but that's it. I'm losing at about the same rate I do on regular Atkins. In fact, I'm thinking about going back to it. I'm not sure if starving myself every other day is worth it.

laranda 02-28-2012 03:39 AM

:welcome:

I low carb, especially on down days because it gives me the appetite suppression that I need to survive through such a small amount of cals. I really enjoy this way of eating. I had trouble at first having so much freedom on up days, first I couldn't eat up enough calories (which is very important) then I had the opposite problem and was indulging too much. I'm at a happy medium now. :) I do eat carbs now on up days. Its all trial and error. Carbs usually give me a pretty bad stomach ache, but if I spread them out, I have no aches, no ravenous feeling the next day and no guilt!:hyst:

I really love rice too, and now that I can have it, I'm content with a very small amount. I think to myself, is it worth it? Am I going to be full with that? If not, then its the easiest thing now to just think, ok, I can just eat this tomorrow when I have more cals.

I think you'll enjoy it here, everyone is very friendly and supportive. Post often, so we know how you're doing! By the way, how was your first Up day?
:heart:

gotsomeold 02-28-2012 05:40 AM

COOKING! Oh golly, the pleasures of cooking!

Spending the day slowly building flavors in a sauce ... carefully roasting peppers and corn to add at just the right moment to simmering black beans ...

UD before last I made my first dark chocolate / Ruby Port truffles. The texture and flavor were not perfect, but :yummy: they were among the top five richest, most decadent treats I have ever eaten. I allocated 400 calories (to include tasting while making then eating one - even DH could only eat three :hyst: ) and I am down two pounds from last Friday's official weekly weigh in! :jumpjoy:

KeirasMom 02-28-2012 07:41 AM

Carla, I would recommend doing the calculator right away and counting on both UDs and DDs. Most of us tend to really underestimate what we eat, and it can be a shock if you track thinking you're going to be under 1800 calories and find out you're really eating 2800 calories!

gotsomeold 02-28-2012 08:16 AM

:goodpost: Dawn!

Guesstimates have a way of :dunno: biting back. I risk being stuffed on an UD, and realizing I still have 600 calories to go! :hyst:

Carla, I am a food channel addict!

carla70 02-28-2012 08:31 AM

Ok, I will track both days. Should I follow the calculator on the site right away? If so, at what percentage?

sorry for all the questions..

KeirasMom 02-28-2012 10:34 AM

Yes follow what the calculator gives you. If it's not working after a couple of weeks, then you can try to tweak it.

Most of us start at 20%, and even if we exercise, we put in sedentary into the calculator. I think this works great unless you are an exercising machine!

If you can't get your DDs to the 20% right away, it's fine to start higher. Ideally, you wouldn't want to go over 500 calories on DDs in the first few weeks, but several JUDDDers couldn't get that low right away and still did great. I was afraid of the 500 calorie number, and honestly, even from the beginning, I've almost always stayed between 200-400. It's a lot more doable than it sounds.

Kim6980 02-28-2012 05:40 PM

I have been low carb since Oct. I did REALLY well and I am ready to start my maintenance. I began maintaining as of last week. When dieting, I stayed under 20 carbs, and actually I ate VERY VERY few carbs, probably less than 10 a day. I have been eating probably 20 carbs this past week doing maintenance. I am excited about starting JUDD and I believe I will start tomorrow. I think it will be an easy transition since I was doing 500 calories while dieting. I was questioning the carb count too for JUDD. Do most people just count the calories? I think I will try to just make good choices, I guess I will have to give you an update next week!!! :)

KeirasMom 02-28-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim6980 (Post 15453281)
I have been low carb since Oct. I did REALLY well and I am ready to start my maintenance. I began maintaining as of last week. When dieting, I stayed under 20 carbs, and actually I ate VERY VERY few carbs, probably less than 10 a day. I have been eating probably 20 carbs this past week doing maintenance. I am excited about starting JUDD and I believe I will start tomorrow. I think it will be an easy transition since I was doing 500 calories while dieting. I was questioning the carb count too for JUDD. Do most people just count the calories? I think I will try to just make good choices, I guess I will have to give you an update next week!!! :)

JUDDD doesn't care what you eat, just the calories. You can use JUDDD alone, or in conjunction with any other plan, so if you want to continue low carb, that's perfectly fine, or you can add carbs back. Just be prepared for a bit of a gain, if you add carbs back. It's just water, NOT FAT, and anything you lose thereafter, should be FAT.