Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   First Up Day Yesterday (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/759641-first-up-day-yesterday.html)

Ghislaine 02-26-2012 01:09 PM

First Up Day Yesterday

I've been reading the JUDDD board for a while thinking that I'd start at some point when my weight loss slows down doing Protein Power. That hasn't happened yet but I think I'm ready to make the leap anyway. I'd been thinking about having my first up day tomorrow for my birthday but since I hit nearly 1900 calories with a dinner out with my husband last night, I figured I might as well make today a DD and go from there! I'd intended on doing a bit more prep work before going into a down day but I'm giving it a go today anyway. I'm only really starting to get hungry at 1:30pm so that seems pretty good. I made an Asian style cabbage dish and I'm better now.

At 5'1" and age 36 tomorrow, I get a 1883 calorie up day and a 377 down day at 20% Weight loss mode. I'll be interested to see how it goes at even 500 calories though! I'm very much a whole foods person so I won't be going for many low fat type products.

Has anyone made the cabbage meals using red cabbage? I've been getting more red ones then green ones from my CSA share and am curious how well they'd work.

MintQ8 02-26-2012 03:31 PM

Welcome to JUDDD!

I can't answer about the Red Cabbage question. If I think about it - they can be quite different and yet the same...

I like my red cabbage sweeter - not sure about converting a red cabbage recipe to a low cal one - but I bet it can be done.

Good luck - and I hope someone else can answer your question!

mykidsteacher 02-26-2012 04:01 PM

Welcome!

I put red cabbage and the Fresh Express cole slaw mix into ************ and it looks like Red cabbage is about double the green. Cals/carbs for Red is 83/20, and for green its 40/10. So if you account for the extra calories, I don't see why you couldn't use it. Maybe use a lower cal sauce (like soy sauce) instead of the laughing cow cheese to compensate?

mainemom 02-26-2012 04:40 PM

Welcome, Ghislaine! You and I are the same height. I do 500 cal DDs (the 35% wt loss mode) most times, since I'm worried I'd go overboard and say "to heck with it" if I try for much lower and then don't make that number. My UD limit is 1428 - I'm 15 yrs older than you and have to adjust my cals down as my wt goes down, but I have to admit I frequently go over that. My weight loss has been pretty slow because I don't do JUDDD perfectly. I'm finding I average about.5 /week, but I'm perfectly OK w/that, since I'm close to my goal weight and kind of easing into maintenance.

I know what you mean about the "whole foods" versus the low/no fat stuff. Atkins really got me out of that mind set, and now I have a hard time fitting them into my eating again. The red cabbage sounds yummy - I'll have to try that.

GOOD LUCK! You'll find this is an informative and supportive forum.

laranda 02-26-2012 08:24 PM

:welcome:

I'm a shorty here too. I've been doing 500/1800 days.

gotsomeold 02-27-2012 04:45 AM

:welcome: Ghislaine!

JUDDD is totally accepting of any eating format (and :hyst: any combination). I think you are very wise to decide, "That was a great UD. Time to jump in and have my first DD."

Let us know how it goes!

AND :birthday:

Ghislaine 02-28-2012 08:34 AM

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, it does not appear that I can do such low calorie days at this point in time. I get far too crabby when hungry which doesn't work while trying to raise a 3-year-old! She's still nursing too say I may need to up my calories. I'm going to get back on track with Protein Power and track my calories to see what overall level seems to work for me before trying again someday.

MintQ8 02-29-2012 03:46 PM

Hi - there's some other nursing mothers here - there is a thread to two somewhere.

If, I recall correctly, they eat 700-800 cals per day on DD. You definitely don't want to go to low, I imagine.

Beeb 02-29-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghislaine (Post 15451691)
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, it does not appear that I can do such low calorie days at this point in time. I get far too crabby when hungry which doesn't work while trying to raise a 3-year-old! She's still nursing too say I may need to up my calories. I'm going to get back on track with Protein Power and track my calories to see what overall level seems to work for me before trying again someday.

I'm sorry to read this. At 3 years old I would think your little one is just about ready to stop nursing so why not give yourself a larger calorie allowance on DDs and see how it goes? Then when she is eating on her own you can lower those DD calories or not. I started at 700 and never lowered them and I lost just fine. And yes, we all get a little crabby the first couple of DDs but it just get easier and easier to the point that UD or DD is just a "day"! ;)