Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
This helps you PLAN your Meals for the Day AHEAD of time

Ya' just can't always plan ahead. Stuff happens. And wonderful opportunities arise, and spur-of-the-moment social occasions spring up. But even on these days and at these times, we can sometimes plan a bit of our diet for the day. And most days we have the opportunity to plan out our full day of meals.

Real planning seems to be easier for most folks if it's a DD. I guess because those few calories allow for so little food, that the hardest part of that plan is how to get the most bang for our buck, and finding out from experience what foods will keep us feeling most comfortable for our day of fasting and healing. So planning the foods and tracking the calories on Down Days doesn't seem to be hard for most of us to do successfully.

But the Up Days.....

If we have a plan all figured out ahead of time and written out or entered into our calorie planner, we can know that we are eating enough, not eating too much, and we aren't inclined to just snack here and grab something there, and then hope it wasn't all too much by the end of the day. JUDDD can do it's fullest for us if we follow it, so this is something that was a help for me:

I tend to eat a whole lot of different foods on my UDs, but during my weight loss periods, it's always been the easiest to put together my plan from my own personal lists of foods and amounts. You can make up something like this for yourself too, based on the foods that you like to eat. Once you have done the figuring, you can use your list over and over quickly.

I weigh my food!!! (and measure just a bit..) I have a scale which is actually a little postal scale, and it is accurate and figures both pounds and ounces, so that's close enough for me. I don't need for it to weigh in grams. LOL

So..... (and this site doesn't seem to hold straight columns for me, but you get the idea)

ham, Hormel Cure 81.........................................4 oz..................120 calories
chicken breast, boneless & skinless, raw............4 oz..................124 calories
shrimp, peeled, raw...........................................4 oz..................121 calories
tilapia, raw............................................... .........4.5 oz...............122 calories

beef roast, roasted........................................... ..3.75 oz.............283 calories
pork roast, roasted........................................... ..3.5 oz...............285 calories
pork chop, cooked............................................ .4 oz..................284 calories
ground beef, raw............................................... .4 oz..................288 calories

carrots, raw............................................... ........4 oz..................46 calories
squash, butternut, raw........................................4 oz..................51 calories
squash, acorn, raw.............................................4 oz..................45 calories
sweet potato, raw............................................... 2 oz..................49 calories

peas, green, frozen............................................ .3.5 oz...............76 calories
corn, frozen............................................ ............3 oz..................75 calories
green beans, frozen............................................ 8 oz..................75 calories
lima beans, frozen............................................ ..2 oz..................75 calories
black-eyed peas, canned....................................2.5 oz................80 calories
butter beans, canned..........................................3. 5 oz................78 calories
broccoli, fresh, raw..............................................7 .5 oz................72 calories
brussels sprouts, fresh, raw.................................6 oz...................73 calories

potato, raw............................................... ..........5 oz...................109 calories
spaghetti, dry, uncooked.....................................1 oz...................106 calories
rice, white, cooked............................................ ..1/2 cup..............106 calories
rice, brown, cooked............................................ .1/2 cup..............107 calories

Figure out the range of calories you want for supper, and then pick from the various catagories to put together your meal. Make your list up of your favorite foods. This is only a partial list of mine, and I didn't type out all the choices to put together a side salad to go with supper, for example.

Your list can be as extensive or as modest as you eat, but once you've put in this effort once and made up your own chart, you won't have to bother doing a lot of calorie counting anymore, AND YET... your calorie numbers can always be pretty close to the totals you need to adhere to!

You can sort of pick from each grouping to put together your meal plan. And this is just a partial chart to give you ideas of how it works, and then you can adapt it to cover the foods you prefer to eat.

Continue your chart to include your choices for putting together a side salad, fruits, cheeses, etc.

So, I'd pick ham, sweet potato, baby lima beans, brussels sprouts, and I'm only up to 317 calories.... then I'd pick from salad veggies to make a salad, and maybe add in an apple with cheddar cheese for after my meal. Etc. And I weigh and measure my food, so I don't have to *guess*... I know! And my chart tells me exactly how much to weigh out right when I making up my meal!

And how many calories I get is all dependent on how many calories I put together for my previous meals and how many I'd like to save for an evening snack or dessert later.

But you get the idea. Some seem to have the most difficulty on Up Days, and keeping track of all their eating. If UDs turn into Free Days too soon, too often, and too *Free* it can make losing weight a real slow go..... Just thought that maybe this would make tracking your eating and planning your meals and tracking your calories easier for some who may be lost in this area or struggling. (Just one way of doing it.)

Last edited by SoHappy; 02-25-2012 at 10:01 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #2

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Thanks Pat. I don't cook (or at least very rarely), so I probably won't do one of those for myself. I did, however, do exactly this with my favorite restaurants and my favorite meals. I have a list for eating out, both on UDs and DDs, and I buy a few kinds of frozen meals and know their counts as well. It really does make it easy.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I can easily make myself a chart using my printouts from ******. It would be so much easier to keep up with too. I also weigh and measure everything when I am at home. I can usually estimate apple sizes and banana sizes at work pretty good.
When I lost on LCLF years ago, I used a little old timey metal postal scale to weigh everything. I have put it back in my kitchen since the kitchen scale needs a new battery. I keep the measuring spoons and cups handy too.
Thanks Pat for the idea of compiling all of the data I use in one place since I tend to eat the same thing over and over. I am not much for trying new recipes very often. too lazy I guess. Or too old to care anymore.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Thanks Pat. I don't cook (or at least very rarely), so I probably won't do one of those for myself. I did, however, do exactly this with my favorite restaurants and my favorite meals. I have a list for eating out, both on UDs and DDs, and I buy a few kinds of frozen meals and know their counts as well. It really does make it easy.
Yes, it's that sort of thing. We eat very few frozen meals or pre-prepared foods, so I needed something that I could just look at and it would tell me instantly how much to measure out.

For me, it was also easiest if the categories were all coming in at about the same number of calories, so I have my lower calorie protein meats, which all come in at about the same number of calories, and I have my *starch* category, so it tells me how much to measure out if I want a starch that evening, and the portions all come in at about the same number of calories devoted to starch.

Different vegetables are different calories, but I wanted each category to come in at about the same total number, so my chart tells me if I choose a certain veggie, how much of it do I get and still stay within that calorie category total number.

But pre-made and just heated up is even faster! LOL
Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I can easily make myself a chart using my printouts from ******. It would be so much easier to keep up with too. I also weigh and measure everything when I am at home. I can usually estimate apple sizes and banana sizes at work pretty good.
When I lost on LCLF years ago, I used a little old timey metal postal scale to weigh everything. I have put it back in my kitchen since the kitchen scale needs a new battery. I keep the measuring spoons and cups handy too.
Thanks Pat for the idea of compiling all of the data I use in one place since I tend to eat the same thing over and over. I am not much for trying new recipes very often. too lazy I guess. Or too old to care anymore.
I most often don't make *recipes* either, but I do fix us a huge range of different foods, so the chart idea helps a lot.

I think if I made certain recipes very often, I might have a chart of my recipes too. I think I could just figure the calorie number of the entire recipe, like a casserole, and then how many cals are in a 1/8th portion, or something like that.

I don't mind going to the effort once. Just frustrating to have to repeat that same figuring more than once though!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
Thanks for the tip, Pat! I've been thinking about putting some sort of chart together too but wasn't really sure how to go about it. This is a great template and would be helpful on dds as well.
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I did something like this for my husband, who is the main dinner cook in our family. My DDs are nights that he cooks, so he had NO clue what to make for dinner.

I printed up a page that listed various meats/proteins and how many calories they are, including the frozen burgers we keep on hand: beef, turkey, salmon, veggie. The second section says what veggies we usually have. The third section has sauces and extras.. so 1 TB of mayo, or 2 TB of stir fry sauce, or whatever. And the fourth section has a list of things to avoid on DDs because they're just too calorie-laden.

I taped it inside the cupboard door, so he can reference it whenever he needs to.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
This is a really good idea. I like the breakdown into categories, like "meats" and "starches". I am going to ponder this a bit more and see what I can come up with that will be adaptable for my cooking/eating.

Thanks Pat!!! And thank you for the advice on my other thread. You are so valuable to this site.
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gardenmaker
Thanks for the great suggestions, Pat. Being a newbie (just completed my first week on JUDDD) learning this program from people who are experienced in it has been a huge bonus.
gardenmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
That is wonderful Pat!!! You are so helpful and have been such an inspiration. I missed you so much when you were gone and not posting for a few days. Glad you are back!!!!
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #11

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
All that they said.

Thanks Pat.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #12

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Hmm, every time I come back to this post, I think, "I really should cook more often." Pat, I think you've inspired me, now that I don't have to look up at least the foods on this list. I'm going to print it and use it as my shopping list.

Now that I've been on JUDDD a while, I find I'm leaning toward more whole, real foods on DDs, like I've seen several people mention. I still eat both good and "bad" but yummy foods on UDs. It's all a learning process. Thank you!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Great post hon!!! Thanks!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #14

Thanks, Guys. I just thought maybe this would make having to do the calorie-counting thing easier for some.

I'd just always thought if I could have a list were every food was about the same calorie amount, I could just pull *one from column A and one from column B* sort of thing.... but of course, every food seemed to be a different calorie count from every other food, and then it occurred that instead of starting with the food, I could start with the calories, and just find out one time how much the measurement would be so that each grouping would come out about the same.

You could take this a step farther and decide that you want all of your common foods to come to 100-calorie units, and then make your lists of everything in those 100 calorie units. You might want 2 units of meat, and 1 unit of three different vegetables, etc. etc. etc.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
Thank you Pat. Cindy just pointed me here. Great idea!
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
Don't know how I missed this, but I did! Thank you, Pat, for this and all your other helpful suggestions. Makes life easier to have you on the boards!

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Thanks for the information and tips!

I've been planning both my UD and DD. For my UD I have a little flexibility, and I like it that way, so if something unexpected comes along, I know I won't feel bad for indulging a little.
My DD are planned a week in advance, as well as that is possible!

Yesterday I downloded a great app on my android phone where I can enter my foods for every day, and search for calorie counts and I can enter my weight and goals too. It's great, and I always have it with me, so there is no chance I can mess up! The app also updates regularly and I can access it from a PC as well by logging in. This way I have my information everywhere I go. It's called ************. And it's free, which is probably why I think it's so great too, LOL!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #18

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I use *** Chloe, friend me there!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I use *** Chloe, friend me there!
Will do, once I find the time!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Cindy, apparently you need to complete your profile.. I cannot add you as a friend!

For everyone who wants to add me as a friend on there, I have the same username as over here!