Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Need Opinions about re-calculating

When I started JUDD at the end of December I put my then current weight into the on line tracker and put my age at 57. I just went and put my new low current weight (196.8) and my age as 57.5 because I'll be turning 58 in early June.

My original calories calculated to almost 500 and almost 2000 so I rounded it off and that's what I was doing 'til now.

Putting in my current weight, I now get 367/1834 and I'm going to switch to that. But, here is my question:

I was wondering if any of you think it might be a good idea to use my goal weight number instead of my current weight?? Have any of you done that?

I get 347/1735. That would be quite an adjustment for me on an UD. The reason I wanted to know if any one else has tried this is I don't want to slow my metabolism down if you think those calories are too low. If I do try it, I won't start doing it until March 1st.

TIA for any input on this.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
I used my goal weight back when I first started. To me it is just a suggested number anyway based on an average calculation, just like the suggested weight for height charts. Everyone is different and needs to find what works best for them. JMO.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I think several people who were within 20-30 lbs of goal weight put goal weight as their number in the calculator and it worked well for them.

I was using the numbers that were for my current weight and stopped losing as quickly. I'm currently using 2000 for UDs and that's what it would be if I was 200 lbs (and I'm still 40 over that). Seems to be working great.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I have never re-calculated and used my starting weight when I did the calculator, not my goal weight. I also just kept the same DD/UD calories all through my weight loss and even now into maintenance. Sorry I can't help but am interested in other ideas on this.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
What a nice problem to have!

I'd try the lowest number, but be prepared to switch up if that is too stressful.

Alternately, if you are still losing at a reasonable rate, you might even try staying where you are. Several, quite a few people on this forum have lost lots of weight without ever dropping their calories from the high start.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
Curious, why would you put your goal weight vs just putting your current weight?
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoftwo View Post
Curious, why would you put your goal weight vs just putting your current weight?
Two reasons I was thinking about doing it (have not switched to that yet):

1. Thinking it might speed up weight loss.

2. Thinking if I'm going to have to go there when I reach goal, I should try it and see if it's really difficult to sustain.

I appreciate all the input so far. Really wanted to get some feedback in case people have tried it for a while and found it backfiring. Then I won't try it at all!

But if lots of people did it and it helped more pounds fall off more quickly, I would ask how long it took them before noticing a difference and if it was really hard to adhere to the lower calories.

Some people have mentioned upping their UD calories when in maintenance to stop losing. That's very interesting and I hope I can do it, too!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
How's your current weight loss? If it hasn't slowed - I would consider staying exactly where you are! If you think it has slowed down to a point that you don't think is a good average (and remembering a good average is 1-2lbs per week, which is also difficult to maintain long term) then adjust down slightly!!!

My opinion is that if you can lose on higher calories great!!!! If you can't tweak!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I think several people who were within 20-30 lbs of goal weight put goal weight as their number in the calculator and it worked well for them.

I was using the numbers that were for my current weight and stopped losing as quickly. I'm currently using 2000 for UDs and that's what it would be if I was 200 lbs (and I'm still 40 over that). Seems to be working great.
Thanks, Dawn! You just gave me an idea. I could do sort of what you are doing. Just put in a number somewhere between my goal weight and where I am now. That would be more of a gradual change.

I've been losing "Point Something" every week. Would love it to be more like 2 pounds per week if I could make that happen without suffering too much! After all, that's what I love about JUDD.

I am blaming my slow to no loss over the past few weeks on family tragedies, lots of travel, lack of sleep and a train wreck of my normal routine.

Hoping March will be a reset for me and I'll really get into the flow of good uninterrupted rotations.

Thanks for always being there with your wisdom and support! You are doing GREAT!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
How's your current weight loss? If it hasn't slowed - I would consider staying exactly where you are! If you think it has slowed down to a point that you don't think is a good average (and remembering a good average is 1-2lbs per week, which is also difficult to maintain long term) then adjust down slightly!!!

My opinion is that if you can lose on higher calories great!!!! If you can't tweak!

I'm right at 2 months of JUDDing. The first month I lost 1 pound per week which for me is fantastic as I am usually a really slow loser (well, since I turned 50 for sure. Before that was average).

This second month, I've been maintaining. But, as I said in a previous post, it's been a really tough month. Like none other I can remember. Still grieving the loss of 2 brothers, finding out my sister has alzheimers (she has already forgotton who I am) and several other siblings have serious health problems. In the midst of all that, we had our own annual week long family reunion in Palm Springs with all our kids and grand kids and relatives on DH's side of the family. All of the late nights, too much snacking...etc, etc.... could be my problem!

That's why I'm trying to think of the best way to get the ball rolling.

The first step might be several nights of great sleep in a row. I'm having a hard time turning off my brain at night and I have this underlying sadness that just won't go away. I know I need to give it time.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #11

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Any time. Others had some good ideas too, so I hope whatever you choose works out well for you. I had slowed a bit but was still losing. I'm just not very patient. I know others have had to increase calories, even in WLM, so you could try staying where you are for another week or two and see how it goes with your life settling back down a bit, then lower if needed. Or you could try dropping them a bit now, but watch very carefully. If there's little or no change, you should probably try to keep the calories higher for the same results. Good luck!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Dawn: Sounds like great advice. I don't want to eat less if I don't have to!

I just plugged in the 190 number for my weight and got 369/1843. I will try that for 6 days which will give me 3 DD and 3 UD and by then I think I'll know if it's workable and if it works.!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, and DUH! I just realized when I was doing that, that when I put the numbers in that I gave in the first post, I was putting in the wrong height! I had mistakenly put in 59 inches instead of 69 inches. Nothing like shooting myself in the foot!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #14

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
You have been having a real tough go of it for awhile here. I hope that your life smooths out now and the stresses you have been having to endure fade away.

If it were me, I believe I'd go by the JUDDD calculator for whatever my current weight and other stats advised for me. And try to catch up on rest.

And this is only just my hunch, but I don't think your body and spirit needs to be hit with the even lower calorie numbers based on some future goal weight you are aiming for. Actually, you don't even know yet if you will ever truly have to go that low to get to goal. Some don't ever have to lower cals as low as the calculator indicates they'd have to eat at goal weight, and yet the reach their weight goals just fine anyway.

I don't think it would probably hurt anything, but you have been under strain with what all has been going on in your family. Feed yourself. And rest yourself.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:22 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Your life has been beyond nightmare recently. I wish I could hug you in person. And I am very impressed you have been able to keep life going as well as you have. I pray this disastrous time calms down.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #16

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
10 inches certainly makes a difference!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
10 inches certainly makes a difference!
Ya think???
Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Your life has been beyond nightmare recently. I wish I could hug you in person. And I am very impressed you have been able to keep life going as well as you have. I pray this disastrous time calms down.
Nancy: And I would hug you long time! Thanks for being so caring.

I love this wonderful group of JUDDers!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
You have been having a real tough go of it for awhile here. I hope that your life smooths out now and the stresses you have been having to endure fade away.

If it were me, I believe I'd go by the JUDDD calculator for whatever my current weight and other stats advised for me. And try to catch up on rest.

And this is only just my hunch, but I don't think your body and spirit needs to be hit with the even lower calorie numbers based on some future goal weight you are aiming for. Actually, you don't even know yet if you will ever truly have to go that low to get to goal. Some don't ever have to lower cals as low as the calculator indicates they'd have to eat at goal weight, and yet the reach their weight goals just fine anyway.

I don't think it would probably hurt anything, but you have been under strain with what all has been going on in your family. Feed yourself. And rest yourself.

Thank you, Pat: You are a very wise woman. I'm so glad I asked for advice because you all have given me a lot to think about.

I had a 400 calorie DD yesterday, went to bed at 9 p.m. and was able to sleep really well all the way until 6 this morning! And, guess what? The scale went down almost 2 pounds! -1.8 to be exact (but 2 sounds better.

Anyway, something kicked in and I'm going in the right direction again. I am back to my current # on my stats with .8 more to go to reach my revised February goal of 196.

I've settled on changing from 500/2000 to 400/1900. It's not that much, but I'm going to try it for a week just to see if it makes a difference.

Pat, I saw your list of your favorite foods/portions/calories on another thread and thought: what a great idea! I'm going to do it for my "go-to" foods as well as I can see that must be so helpful with planning.

Thanks again JUDDers for the great input. It's been so helpful.

I'm loving this group of smart, motivating, caring people!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #20

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
JUDDD Buddds are the best. Every thread I read here gives me something to think about, and helps in the ongoing weight loss/maintenance journey.

So thrilled that the scale did the honourable thing today. That goal will be yours.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote