Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
So sad - binging behavior

Today was an up day. I did alright, until I fixed dinner for my daughters and their friend. I took bite after bite while cooking, and then cooked MY dinner and ate way to much of that one too.

This is the third up day where I've eaten way too much...and it really is resembling binging behavior at this point. I have willpower! I mean, I know I do, because I can hold to a reasonable 500-600 calorie down day.

HOW do I deal with this??? Its like a monster takes over my body and just keeps eating and eating....

Sigh. Any advice? Anyone else dealt with this and got through it?
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I am sorry! But all is not lost!!! Promise! You will get right back in to the swing next UD. I think everyone here has had a binge day.

For me personally, it is helpful to log my menu before I eat for the day. This way, if I were to deviate, I would have to log on and add to the deviation. I guess in my case it seems to hold me accountable, and is certainly helpful, because I don't want to have to add to my pre-written plan. I guess I see it as breaking the law right now.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2013
I'm still dealing with this myself.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
As Sunday says writing down all the food you are going to eat on UD - and calculating the calories of each bite - helps a lot of people.

Last September, I started this weight loss journey with efgt/Atkins 72 because I knew eating high fat suppressed my cravings. When I moved to JUDDD I continued eating that way. After a two weeks on JUDDD, I tested carb foods (my triggers) one at a time. I found that carbs still made me feel like eating more-more-more. So I waited another week. By the third week I could eat potato or rice without cravings. Breads calmed down in week five. Sweets ditto in seven weeks.

I still eat efgt most of the time...because I like it best. But if I want carbs I eat without worry.

Pay attention to what you eat. Watch how you respond during and after the meal. If you have 'trigger' foods, avoid them and allow time for JUDDD magic (sirtuin enzymes) to establish itself in your system then test them carefully.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
WWC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
Hugs from me! This was me last Sunday. I wasn't even hungry. My first advice is to forgive yourself and make a plan for next time. I have found, Friday night and Sunday updays are very hard for me so I have to plan for that. Remind yourself that this is a learning process.
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I went back to taking 5HTP to try and stop it. I have noticed a difference in the "head hunger" at night between the supplement (I take it around 5pm) and using Beeb's advice to hold off eating until late afternoon or early evening, it's been better.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post
Today was an up day. I did alright, until I fixed dinner for my daughters and their friend. I took bite after bite while cooking, and then cooked MY dinner and ate way to much of that one too.

This is the third up day where I've eaten way too much...and it really is resembling binging behavior at this point. I have willpower! I mean, I know I do, because I can hold to a reasonable 500-600 calorie down day.

HOW do I deal with this??? Its like a monster takes over my body and just keeps eating and eating....

Sigh. Any advice? Anyone else dealt with this and got through it?
It might help if you separate the two halves of weight management in your mind for a bit.. that is, the part that is the *dieting for weight loss* half of the equation, and thether part that is the *eating for maintenance* half.

So it's not that you won't ever get to sneak a bite or two as you prepare meals.. you just don't during the dieting periods. Sometimes that can help people get over their tendency to binge and/or sneak and/or overeat. It's not that they can't or won't ever again. But they are strong enough to not do it right now, because they are doing the weight loss part of their equation.

Some people find it is helpful to pause every so often in their weight loss journey to take a maintenance break. This allows them to be strict with their dieting, which is never easy, regardless of what plan we follow, and then it gives them a period to practice maintenance, which allows them more room for slack, for treats, and yes.. even overeating sometimes. Maintenance gives us a higher calorie number, and that can cover a few more binges, treats, poor choices... for a little while, and serve as a little *vacation* before we get back to dieting for weight loss again.

Now, this works for some people. Be honest enough with yourself to know whether you are one of them, because it can be the undoing of others, when they go off diet and into maintenance phase for awhile, and then extend it for quite awhile, and then don't ever get back into dieting for weight loss again. It extends the time you are overweight regardless, so choose wisely.

Then, if you think about it, and just decide that you want to get on with the weight loss part of your weight management, start following the rules. You already know the rules for JUDDD. It's all based on calories. And respecting your calorie numbers.

To that end... you've probably heard the old adage, *Those Who Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail.* To a pretty strong degree, that's true. If you don't plan, you may not plan to fail, but you are apparently OK with just being carried along in any direction by the current of however the day is going, and you will climb in bed that evening, with whatever calories in your belly as you consumed as the day progressed. I am describing ME, and how my dieting efforts ended up going in some past years of my life.

So, plan it out. Plan out your eating for the day. Plan our your meals. Plan out the amounts of foods that will make up your meal. If you are devoting 500 calories to your supper, how many ounces of pork chop are you going to allow? Are you going to have to cut off the tip of the chop to make it the right size? How much mashed potatoes is going to be served on your plate? Do you really want the calories in a full 1/2 cup serving, or would your calorie limit be better served if you measured out only 1/3 cup of mashed potatoes. And on and on.

Plan out your meals. Plan out your DDs and your UDs. Plan out your menus. Follow your plan. Measure out your foods. KNOW that the amount of food dished up onto your plate is according to your plan. Serve yourself your plate of food at the table. Pots and pans of food stay in the kitchen. Serving bowls of food are left in the kitchen too. As though you were the patron at your restaurant. Don't eat from the pots and the pans and the spoons in the kitchen. Wait until your meal is served to you at the table. But be eating according to your prescribed plan. You know exactly how many calories you are getting, because you planned it all ahead of time, and you measured out your foods, so you know exactly how many calories are in this meal. It is all according to plan.

And then, make sure to PLAN snacks and treats! Life without treats is colorless for me. I don't necessarily need cheats... if I have treats.

We all choose to do it as we want to do it. So this is only my advice.

Good luck to you, however you decide to guide your own diet efforts. Just be encouraged by knowing that JUDDD works if you work it. I'm excited to think that you will get over this little hump very shortly and be well on your way once again! Good dieting to you. Good weight loss to you. And then, Happy Maintenance to you.

Last edited by SoHappy; 02-25-2012 at 07:30 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
I love reading your posts, Pat. You really think through your answer and spend a lot of time on your posts. There is always a lot of wisdom and tons of compassion in your posts. I take away a little kernel from each of your posts that helps me on my own journey. We're so lucky to have you here!
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
We're so lucky to have you here!
Second the motion!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Weight is 231 this morning. I am happy to see that, its not near as bad as I had feared.

You are right. I have to count on up days too. Blech!!!! I've been estimating. You know, saying to myself, "that was a 500 cal breakfast, and a 600 cal lunch...now I have 1100 to spend....." And then I go and overdraw the account!!!

I also wonder if the "eat eat eat" feeling is in response to losing weight. Like, your body is screaming at you so that you stop losing.

I am going to start measuring and writing down everything... ugh. But I think you are right that unless I account for every bite, I don't realize what's happening until I feel full and think "uh oh".

I do really like the JUDDD plan. I have stuck to it better than anything else I've tried (and I've tried lots). I want this to work so badly. I want it to be my forever plan. Thank you all of you for being here, and posting, and helping. Having this little community means a lot.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post
Weight is 231 this morning. I am happy to see that, its not near as bad as I had feared.

You are right. I have to count on up days too. Blech!!!! I've been estimating. You know, saying to myself, "that was a 500 cal breakfast, and a 600 cal lunch...now I have 1100 to spend....." And then I go and overdraw the account!!!

I also wonder if the "eat eat eat" feeling is in response to losing weight. Like, your body is screaming at you so that you stop losing.

I am going to start measuring and writing down everything... ugh. But I think you are right that unless I account for every bite, I don't realize what's happening until I feel full and think "uh oh".

I do really like the JUDDD plan. I have stuck to it better than anything else I've tried (and I've tried lots). I want this to work so badly. I want it to be my forever plan. Thank you all of you for being here, and posting, and helping. Having this little community means a lot.
LS, I just posted a suggestion about making up a list of the foods you like to eat, in a way that the list tells you how much to measure out, and then how many calories that is... all in an easy way to put together your meals without having to figure the calories over and over every single time. You always need to remain fairly good at measuring out your food portions, but you get so good at that that it can really go FAST, but if you make up a bunch of charts once, you can just go by them forever and never have to re-figure the calories, re-figure the calories, re-figure the calories... It makes it really easy to do, and when you do it, your numbers are accurate, and when your numbers are accurate.. your weight loss usually progresses at a real nice speed!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
I, too am having binge issues with my UDs lately and have had to reign myself in and start to count calories instead of doing FDs right now. I am totally fine on DDs, never over eat or go over my calories and most days am down under 100 or so calories less then what I can have, but when I start to eat on UDs I just can't seem to stop, even if I KNOW I'm full or to the point of feeling stuffed!

Having all that freedom doing FDs is just not working for me right now and is actually working against me. I'm not a happy person but I do know it will be fine once I get back on track and start counting those calories on my UDs again.

All is NOT lost, please remember that because we DO know what to do to make it right again!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

The psychology of this diet is so weird, right? Like today is a down day, and while I'd *like* to eat some of the leftovers in the fridge, I can totally just ignore that feeling. I feel so in control on down days. Up days, are totally different. My brain wants to say -eat it all!!!! Now!!! This is what you've been waiting for!

I need to retrain my brain to say, "today you get to eat to sateity with maybe just a little treat" and learn to revel in the fact that every other day I am not dieting.

Pat - you are right about the pre-planning meals and knowing exactly how much to serve myself every time. This is part of my problem. I've been eating out too much and thinking I can "afford" restaurant meals too often. I've been weighting each up day in my head with more importance than it really deserves - like, "oooh, its an up day, what indulgence am I going to partake in?" And then I go to Cheesecake Factory or California Pizza Kitchen, or lust after the fish & chips (and a beer!) at the pub. Really wanted that fish & chips. Still do. Just because JUDDD is an awesome eating plan, it is still not license to gorge. NO diet is going to give me that. Darn it.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
As a long term bulimic (purge free one year on March this year!) I know ALL about binging...and how that temporary loss of control makes you feel.
Last week I saw a book recommended on the Main Lobby...Brain Over Binge...I checked out all the reviews on Amazon...and EVERYONE had given it 5*
I bought the Kindle version and read it asap.
It shows WHY we binge...so simply and clearly, it really is like a light-bulb going off...and it is very simple to follow...no journal writing, deep thinking or self-analysis...and it works!
It is helpful for anyone who binges...whether bulimic, or just somebody who starts eating, and feels unable to stop when they know they want to.
Check out on Amazon...or check the authors blogg...its well worth it!

hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

But, in time, it can be license to enjoy a great night out now and again...when that lovely, motivating feeling of control leaks out of DD into UD.

Congrats on not being disappointed with today's weight. JUDDD keeps getting better and better!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Joedi--that is really and excellent book--100% agree--best of all the books about compulsive binging I have seen. I just mentioned this on another thread--but I do find my desire to binge on JUDDD is increased if I fast for too many hours in a row. If I eat frequently on my DD's (but low cals obvs) I do much much better on my UD's. Too much deprivation triggers binging. It took me awhile to figure that out. Now I eat more often on my DD's while still staying under my limit--but Brain over Binge is an awesome tool for dealing with the urges--highly recommended.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, had a perfect up day. Yay. 2200 cals, and they were nutritious satisfying ones.

Counting calories really does help with the planning. I've challenged myself to weigh and count everything for one month. Still hate it, though!!!

Need to check out that book, too.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Upside to JUDDD: no food is forbidden
Downside: we can't eat it all at once

Congratulations on a perfect UD!!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I'm good on my DDs (for the most part) because I know that "I can have it tomorrow." Sometimes, the hunger does get to me, but I add a few calories and don't feel bad about it.

I find that on UDs, if I have the mentality that I have to eat everything I wanted the day before, then it gets me in trouble. For some reason, when I wake up on UDs, I never care about eating all the things I dreamt about yesterday. It kind of annoys me... So, I have had days where I eat those things *just because I can* and I always feel rotten afterwards because I gave in to the binge. I find that I do well on DDs because I have a limit, so I am starting to do the same thing with UDs. If I set a limit for myself, or a goal (like not too much bread), I do much better on the UD. It's not easy, but I'm trying!

I hope you find the answer that works for you!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

After reading "Brain over Binge" I think that for some of us, deprivation (DDs) trigger a binge reaction that is pretty evolutionarily driven. That book enabled me to really be prepared for that reaction and to not act on the urge--instead to see the urge to binge as "neurologic junk" from my lower animal brain. The more you do not act on the urge to binge, the weaker the neurologic connections around binge behavior get. Staying aware and "not taking the bait," is the work. Maybe one way of doing that is to plan and count calories and to be vigilant. Another way is to anticipate that undereating will provoke (in some) an overeating "urge" but that one can see the urge and recognize it as a message from your primitive animal brain--and not respond to it. Eventually the urge weakens and extinguishes. Whatever way we choose to deal with it--planning or "ignoring"--having the concept that it is an evolutionary response brought on by undereating can be helpful--our primitive animal brain is only in charge if we allow it to be. I really recommend that book for anyone who has struggled with binging!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I have a huge bingeing issue, it's been under control pretty well with JUDDD because while deprivation DOES trigger my binges, alternate day deprivation doesn't seem to. I would love to read a book that might help me cope with it though, because reading Allen Carr's book made quitting smoking effortless for me, I am hoping such a book exists for binge eating! I have never purged in my life though so I am not sure how to relate to bulimics, I get the urge to eat everything in sight (and the guilt afterwards) but I've never felt the urge to purge. Maybe I'll try the book anyways and see if it offers any insights.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't purge either Julie--and despite that, the message of the book is right on target! I encourage anyone who has had a desperate urge to eat eat eat to read it.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Great, I'll purchase the ebook version and read it on my ipad.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spank'd
Stats: 223/217/145
Start Date: Restarted 1/11/14
IMHO, it's sneaky psychological warfare. Your body messes with brain chemistry, triggering cravings and hunger. Your body is trying VERY hard to make you put the weight back on. It won't give up, so you have to be stronger than basic hormones.

I have been victim to this too, and continue to fight the urge to keep snacking on up days.
Spank'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darlingnikki
Stats: start 225/ now 132.2/ goal 125 ??? Height 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD and HCG (not at the same time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post

My tummy would like to test that.
darlingnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingnikki View Post

My tummy would like to test that.
Mine has tested that...multiple times!

...probably why I'm here. Oops.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
I was always a purger...I got so good at it, that I dont need to use my fingers...just to bend over....shows how used to purging my poor body was.

As to the book, it is for anyone who has ever binge eaten...after all, it is very rare for anyone to purge who HASNT binge eaten...so help to prevent binging...cure purging as a side effect.

Interestingly the author "purged" not by vomiting, as is usual, but by spending hour upon hour doing grueling and vigorous exercise.

Like I said before...a brilliant book, and one that is fixed firmly in my mind, and that I use daily.

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #28

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
After reading "Brain over Binge" I think that for some of us, deprivation (DDs) trigger a binge reaction that is pretty evolutionarily driven. That book enabled me to really be prepared for that reaction and to not act on the urge--instead to see the urge to binge as "neurologic junk" from my lower animal brain. The more you do not act on the urge to binge, the weaker the neurologic connections around binge behavior get. Staying aware and "not taking the bait," is the work. Maybe one way of doing that is to plan and count calories and to be vigilant. Another way is to anticipate that undereating will provoke (in some) an overeating "urge" but that one can see the urge and recognize it as a message from your primitive animal brain--and not respond to it. Eventually the urge weakens and extinguishes. Whatever way we choose to deal with it--planning or "ignoring"--having the concept that it is an evolutionary response brought on by undereating can be helpful--our primitive animal brain is only in charge if we allow it to be. I really recommend that book for anyone who has struggled with binging!
I saw that post in the main lobby and downloaded a sample to my kindle. Have to dig to find it. This is my problem exactly!! I have been in deprivation eating for so long (have been doing the hcg diet for years now, but not on the 500 calorie part that whole time) that I cannot stick to it any longer. I need to find out how to ignore the urge to binge. I need to have a solution and am always looking for the next pill, magic bullet or newest diet to come along looking for it. I just want to quit this cycle I have been doing for a long time. I guess I need to download the whole book so I can get my but in gear and finally lose this weight for good. My head needs to click with my heart in getting this weight off. My mind says "I need to lose this weight--do it already!" But my subconscious is saying "no way lady. You are destined to be fat!" I am a binge eater, even though I don't purge or exercise my butt off. I know it and I have to overcome it somehow. Thank you for all your posts on this topic/thread. Gives me something to think about. Even as I sit here and type I am trying to fight my urge to walk into my dining room and look for some chocolate to dig into. I am going to resist because I am going to bed in a few minutes, but cannot say the same for tomorrow. Was not 100% on my plan for today.

Last edited by dawnyama; 02-27-2012 at 05:15 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

dawn--tell yourself the urge is simply neurological junk that your primitive animal brain is generating. Listen to it with disinterest. yawn--there it goes again, nope, not giving in. She gives the example of the kid having a temper tantrum in a grocery store. If mom eventually gives in the kid learns to never stop the tantrum. If she ignores it, eventually he gives up. You can do it! It has made such a difference for me.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post

Congratulations on a perfect UD!!