Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Five weeks on JUDDD-results and need helpfor visit to Chicago!

I started 1/13/12. My weight was app. 174-didn't weigh that day.
My allottments are 341-1704

My DDs were all under 500- most under 400, and many at the actual amount. It has been tough, but I am disciplined.

The UDs have been much more difficult-for social occasions, even when they are on UDs, I can go up to 2400 cals-that happened about 3 times in the past 5 weeks.

The rest of the time I have been very close to my amounts, although they certainly never felt "decadent"-this may be because I came from low carb, and 1700 happens real fast with fat and protein.

I have to admit that it feels like a diet to me, and LC didn't really. I am happy to have more choices, since I rarely went over 20 gross carbs, but all I've added is a bit of "lite" bread (and half a croissant the other day ) and more veggies. My average carbs according to ****** is 61, and my average cals are 1119, if that means anything.

I haven't felt any "magic" or particular lowering of appetite, except on UDs!!! when I don't need it. I feel weak and headachey on DDs but am stubborn and don't cheat, even though I feel like I could eat my arm off.

When I finally go to sleep on a DD (hard to sleep when you're hungry) I wake up no more hungry than I would on a "regular" day, which as I said, I don't need. Wish it would happen on DDs....

I have lost 6.3 pounds as of yesterday. Not great, obviously, but at least down...

We are going to visit daughter and family (YAY) today in chicago, and just don't know what to do to handle it-I'd love to stick to it, but Chicago is a food town, and I am a foodie! Today is a DD, but we plan to go out Saturday and/or Sunday-try a MD or 2???

Hoping all you JUDDD BUDDDs have lots of ideas, thoughts and help.
TIA!!

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Three weeks ago DH and I spent a four day 'weekend' with foodie friends on an island cluttered with gourmet restaurants. I watched what I ate, didn't over eat, but ate what I wanted. Gained four pounds and jumped right back into JUDDD. Those pounds were gone after two DDs. My weight loss did slow down for a week or so after that. But everything has since come back to normal.

I don't know if that - going off plan then returning - seems right for you. Personally, I thought the slow down was worth it.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I always say if something feels "wrong" or "not easy enough" then that something may not be for you.

I felt that way on LC/VLC. Have never felt that way on JUDDD. For some of us LC is the best way to eat for our lifestyle or way of life. For some JUDDD. For some WW. For some IF....you get my idea here.

Find what works for YOU and then enjoy it! Any plan that is not enjoyable and becomes "work" just will not work for you in the end!

Have fun on your trip no matter what plan you decide is best for you!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Beeb I understand what you are saying, but I kinda feel at the end of my rope. Wasn't really losing any more on LC, I have no interest going back to WW or any low calorie diet, so JUDDD is a last resort.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong...I don't know...
Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I always say if something feels "wrong" or "not easy enough" then that something may not be for you.

I felt that way on LC/VLC. Have never felt that way on JUDDD. For some of us LC is the best way to eat for our lifestyle or way of life. For some JUDDD. For some WW. For some IF....you get my idea here.

Find what works for YOU and then enjoy it! Any plan that is not enjoyable and becomes "work" just will not work for you in the end!

Have fun on your trip no matter what plan you decide is best for you!

Love this, Linda! Very encouraging and a good reminder.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Our flight got cancelled and it's not even snowing in Chicago!! Haven't seen my grandson in over a year!!

Getting through a DD-350 cals...
Tomorrow there will be wine....
Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

atkinsgoddess: Did you use Dr. J's calculator to get your calorie allotment? Just curious.

One thing I can say about your foodie vacation is that, since you have been doing JUDD for over one month, your SIRT1 gene should be adequately activated. What that means is that you can probably just enjoy yourself, not worry, and you won't gain a huge amount like you would if you were doing VLC and then went off it for a week.

As others have said, JUDD is forgiving. I went to Florida for a week in January and ate way more than I had planned. I was shocked to only gain 1.8 and when I had a good DD it was gone.

My advice is that you enjoy your vacation! Stress is bad for weight loss so do not worry and stress over your food choices. Try to eat healthy when you can and don't go nuts on portions. Then jump back on the JUDD wagon when you get home.

Have fun!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Our flight got cancelled and it's not even snowing in Chicago!! Haven't seen my grandson in over a year!!

So sorry about the flight cancellation! Do enjoy that wine 2morrow.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post

Hope you get to go and get a rescheduled flight.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hopefully you are in Chicago and unable to look at this during your grandchild-filled weekend.

You say your average cals are 1119. Did you get that by averaging DD/UD pairs? Or is that the result of averaging only UDs?

Some people can happily fast on DDs. But some of us need calories. I find myself wondering if it would help you to go up to 500 calories every DD. A lot of us find, at least at first, that is supportive of feeling good AND losing weight.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Re: Chicago-we were offered another flight-from Hartford to Dallas, a long wait and finally to Chi-we decided not to use all those air miles to stay less time, so will go out later in the year-weather will be better, and Daughter says she will save the painting for Dad Missing them, though.

gotsome Got the average from ******, which I assume averages the DDs with the UDs. To be honest, I'm a-skeered to up the cals, since I am losing so slowly anyway-averaging less than half a pound a week. These calcs are ******. I do stick to those low cals through stubborn-ness and discipline. It's the UDs that are troublesome, other than the extreme hunger I feel on the DDs.

Yam-yam- used Dr. J's calculator using my starting weight. I don't know if the gene has been activated..I think I feel this way because I gained so easily for no good reason on LC.

For example, today, adding wine will obviously lower my calories from "real" food and it probably really isn't a good idea. There is no such thing as "one glass" of wine...

Again, the funny thing is when I awoke this am after a DD of 352, I felt no terrible hunger. Wish it was like this on the DDs.

I am down about a pound today to 166.6 and hope I keep going down. I am ok with slow loss, as long as the trend is DOWN.

I plan to stick with this, since, as I said, I can't think of anything else to do.

I so appreciate everyone's thoughts, and hope you will continue to advise.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am so sorry that your trip was cancelled.

You are doing so well, you know, don't be down on yourself. Be proud! Slow weight loss is often the best way, we all know that even though we want to see it diaper overnight.

I can't help wondering if you might not be one of those who would be happier on the 500 calorie DDs, and not even trying for less for a while. Lots of people have found that is not only easier but, strangely can speed up their weight loss. Just a thought.

Enjoy the wine, and well done on dropping another pound.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I can't help wondering if you might not be one of those who would be happier on the 500 calorie DDs, and not even trying for less for a while. Lots of people have found that is not only easier but, strangely can speed up their weight loss. Just a thought.
That is what I was thinking. We have certainly seen some people's weight loss rate increase when they bring DD calories up.

Goddess, I am really sorry your trip turned into a stay-at-home.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-24-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Sorry about the canceled trip but the weather will be so much nicer and the visit longer now that you have decided to wait!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

One more thought: You might want to average your weight over each 7 day period. For a while, at first, I was just looking at the daily up and down bounces on the scale, which were wild. Every time I hit a new low it was a new low. Someone suggested instead of just looking at what my weight is on a particular day of the week (I consider Friday's my "official" weigh in day) that I start averaging my weight week by week.

After a month on JUDD, I thought I had not lost anything, but when I averaged each week (I do mark it down every day in my journal) it turns out I had lost over 4 pounds. It's just that on some Friday's the scale was up after an UD.

Just a thought!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

BTW: The day I decided to start JUDD, I was 201.8 and I got down to 196.8 without too much effort and with lots of travel and eating out and some big mess ups. February has been a really tough month for me because of the loss of my brothers. (Now have lost 2 siblings in less than 6 months ) That involved a lot of extra travel and extra comfort food and no time for exercise. So, I'm back up a bit, but not too much.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I will try the 500 tomorrow. As I said, my DDs have always been under 500 but probably average around 400-450 anyway...don't feel like adding them all up...

I had thought that the bigger the difference between the UDs and DDs was the big thing-no? Which is why I try so hard to stick the DDs, since my UDs can get out of hand.

Yam Yam You are an inspiration given the difficulties you have had lately. I lost a sister too soon, and know how much it hurts.

Good idea about the "official" weigh in day. I only weigh the day after a DD-afraid to see what it looks like after an UD! When I see an actual downtrend now in my graph, instead of nothin' happnin' like before, I am content, just impatient!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cherryhair
Stats: 230.4/215.8/160
Start Date: 1/4/12
LOL-there are some of us Chicago Foodies that are successfully JUDDDing-when you do get to Chicago don't fear you can continue to JUDDD if that's what you choose, their are tons of Whole Foods/Trader Joes and healthy choice places to eat
cherryhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Goddess, it is not exactly the difference between DD and UD.

The idea is, because calories are low on DD our bodies go into a kind of pre-starvation emergency response that releases sirtuin enzymes. These enzymes instruct the body to burn fat and get healthy because we have to go kill a wooly mamoth in order to eat.

On UD we eat, which turns those enzymes off and keeps us from slipping into starvation mode where muscle and fat is burned, and a lot of other unhealthy things happen.

To paraphrase Goldilocks:
If we don't eat enough on UD, the slide into starvation mode continues.

If we eat too much, excess energy can get stored.

If we eat just right, we are happy because we got a good nosh AND the stress response stops. "Just right" is usually somewhere around each body's maintenance level of calories.

The next day, rinse and repeat.

Ultimately, weight lost is much less than the overall caloric reduction.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

cherry there are so many places I want to go! Publican, The Goat and the Girl, Alinea (that got nixed-DD and SIL went there, loved it, but way too expensive for our pockets), Hot Doug's(for the foie gras dog and fries in duck fat...) and all the neighborhood places that the natives go to...got any suggestions?

gotsome Thanks for the info and so interesting! Hmmm, wooly mammoth is on the menu for tomorrow's UD! I NEVER have a problem reaching those 1700 cals on the UD.

It not even 11am on my DD and I could chew off my arm already!! Had a boiled egg with celery and LF mayo, some coffee with splenda and FF hnh and a piece of lite toast...already at 195!!

BTW, the wine hit the spot last night-had swai coated with panko and sauteed in butter-good!