Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Zero energy on UD's (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/759149-zero-energy-uds.html)

adillenal 02-23-2012 09:26 AM

Zero energy on UD's

I am just dragging myself around on UD's and this continues until around noon on DD and then I feel normal until I wake up the next morning. I am retaining water pretty badly right now so I do not know if that is a factor but I want some energy. I have been checked out many times in the past and noone has found anything wrong with me that would cause water retention. Normal amounts of salt for most folks is too much for me. I know I have eaten some processed foods or food I did not prepare for the past week.

Suggestions for myself
1. Increase water drinking
2. DO NOT eat anything that isn't fresh to lower salt intake

Anyone have suggestions as to what I can do to get some energy?

KeirasMom 02-23-2012 09:59 AM

Are you eating breakfast on UDs? I wasn't for a while and started again this week and find I have better energy.

Are you getting enough iron and B vitamins? I never have an issue with those, so I wouldn't know what to recommend, but I do know lower levels can decrease energy.

I also find I have more energy once I get outside in the sun, even if just for a little bit. It might help. :dunno:

adillenal 02-23-2012 11:29 AM

I eat breakfast on UD's. I take a B vitamin supplement and it has been so rainy here lately and I work inside that I could probably go oustide during lunch and bask. Will try that right now since the sun is shining for a change. I eat meat and I am old so iron should not be a problem.
Thanks for the sun suggestion. I have been diagnosed in the past with vitamin D defiencey and I do take D supplements but eh sun is a great idea.

sunday 02-23-2012 12:04 PM

This happened to me today for the 1st time. I feel like I could crawl back into bed. :stars:

I thought it could be that I had a couple of cookies for the 1st time in a long time and I think that may be where my issue is. They were after I at a big salad w/ grilled chicken. I feel really bad. :sad:

sunday 02-23-2012 12:05 PM

Today is an UD and if I don't start feeling better, I am worried that I will not get the cals up.

adillenal 02-23-2012 12:55 PM

I can always reach my UD calories. I can always find something to eat even when I shouldn't. I just have no energy to work. I have dairy goats and it is kidding season and I have to feed and milk twice a day and I am taking longer and longer since I drag around so much.

mattsmama 02-23-2012 12:58 PM

Adi, are you still LC? I always find that I need some complex carbs to power me through the day.
Definitely the sunshine is important. No sunscreen unless you absolutely need it.

Maybe just "fake it"? In other words, get up and moving around like you actually feel energetic. Sometimes, if I spend too much time sitting, I feel like I want to nap, especially on UDs. I'll find a reason to get busy. It usually works.

Hope this helps, and I hope you feel better soon.:console:

adillenal 02-23-2012 01:07 PM

Lisa - I am not doing LC. I am eating one slice of ezekial toast for B with eggs and yogurt and fruit and a baked goodie from the breakroom at lunch and meat of some kind and veggies for dinner. I felt great until the past couple of weeks. So six weeks with no problems so it makes no sense to me. It is 3pm on a DD and I feel great now. But I know I will wake up in the mornng dragging around like I am 90. Seems backwards to me. Shouldn't I be draggin on my DD?

Beeb 02-23-2012 01:54 PM

I have been feeling this way lately too, and only on my UDs, but I'm putting the reason on the change of seasons, the crazy weather we are having, and being sick, off and on, since January. AND it actually doesn't seem to matter if I'm LCing or not on these UDs, I just am tired and feel run down so I know it's not what I'm putting in my mouth but the "energy" around me; weather, season changes, sickness.

DDs there is a lot more energy it seems right now, but after almost 7 months of JUDDD I know it's just a passing phase and I will be back to "normal" again on my UDs when my environment makes it's changes. ;)

adillenal 02-23-2012 03:19 PM

Glad to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I will survive. At least I hope I do.

gotsomeold 02-24-2012 02:43 AM

I am with Linda and the crazy weather. Where I live things are blooming that usually don't appear until late March/early April. And the trees are already enjoying their yearly orgy. And here I am, the one time of year I don't have take anti-histamines, sneezing my brains out. Golly, I hope over time JUDDD reduces seasonal allergies for me. But for, strange times.

Also, is there a chance you actually have a bug of some kind?

lil miss 02-24-2012 05:12 AM

Adi, {HUGS}

I think drinking lots of water and trying to get rid of the salt is a great idea. Is it possible you are fighting off a cold?

Is it possible some of the break room treats have sodium?

Could it be your thyroid?

I hope you feel better soon!

SoHappy 02-24-2012 05:48 AM

I'm sure sorry to read this, adi. Is it still going on? I don't have anything to add to the suggestions here, other than if your general nutrition is good and you are getting plenty of fluids and supplements as you need.. if this doesn't pass after a couple more weeks, maybe it would be time for the doctor to give you a good go-over. I know you're in Texas and so in an area where you are probably out and about and getting plenty of sun/vitamin D.. but have it checked anyway, and do you have any thyroid issues? Anything else you can think of? I suppose since we focus so much on our foods and our diets here at LCF it can make us think that everything must be the cause of the effect of our diet/foods, when there is a whole lot more that affects us also. LOL

Hope this is over and done with soon and you are back to feeling chipper.

Oh, I was going to mention that I've read stories of folks who got into taking so many supplements and vitamins and minerals and *health* tonics and *natural* supplements out of bottles that they finally had themselves so screwed up they really threw themselves badly out of balance and did themselves damage. I assume you aren't doing a whole lot of playing doctor on yourself with too many pills, etc. I doubt it, but just thought I'd mention it. LOL

:hugs:

adillenal 02-24-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattsmama (Post 15440077)
Adi, are you still LC? I always find that I need some complex carbs to power me through the day.

Hope this helps, and I hope you feel better soon.:console:

I kept thinking about this. This morning is an UD and I was out of Ezekial bread and I would usually just have the eggs and go on. BUT this morning I decided to have two slices of whole wheat toast with my eggs. I piddle around a bit after B before I go outside to do chores. I was dragging through my morning work but seemed to start getting a little energy about halfway through. I finished early and even got to work early. Maybe I have been LC'ing more than I realized out of habit and some good carbs are what I need.

Thanks Beeb for the idea.

I don't feel sick, just drained. I take a few supplements but not a lot (in my opinion).
multi vitamin for women
Vitamin D
Calcium
Vitamin C
Potassium on DD's since I was getting leg cramps at night
and B vitamins on DD's
Now that I wrote them out, that looks like a lot but I am not real consistent either.

Right now it is only 8:15 and I feel good. usually still dragging so I am changing my dinner menu to include some brown rice. Complex carbs may be my answer.

It is about time for my yearly checkup and bloodwork but last year I had no thyroid issues. I guess I am just very sensitive to sodium. I was down on the scale this morning but my hands and ankles are still very swollen. I Am losing since my waist is smaller so I guess I will drag all of this fluid around with me until I manage to flush it all out. A low salt diet looks like a good thing to try. And I won't be eating chicken prepared at the local grocery deli again . No matter how delicious it is because that is when I puffed up like road kill. But it sure was good.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I appreciate them all.

Kissa 02-24-2012 06:39 AM

Hope you have found a solution with the complex carbs.

SoHappy 02-24-2012 06:53 AM

Oh, that's interesting. I'm another one who needs plenty of carbs to feel vibrant and energetic!!! I'm not talking chips and sweets, but the complex carbs that include beans and whole grains and plenty of veggie variety and fruits, etc.

Hadn't occurred to me to ask what your diet was consisting of.

Good catch, Lisa. Maybe this is what has been missing.

Beeb 02-24-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15441818)
Oh, that's interesting. I'm another one who needs plenty of carbs to feel vibrant and energetic!!! I'm not talking chips and sweets, but the complex carbs that include beans and whole grains and plenty of veggie variety and fruits, etc.

Hadn't occurred to me to ask what your diet was consisting of.

Good catch, Lisa. Maybe this is what has been missing.

:goodpost: and ME 3!!!! I need my "good" carbs or I just feel blah!!! :p

SoHappy 02-24-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15442188)
:goodpost: and ME 3!!!! I need my "good" carbs or I just feel blah!!! :p

You know.. this makes me wonder something. You know how everyone is always saying, YMMV? Your mileage may vary. And we do understand that and believe it for so many things.

But then, all of a sudden, some of us are so opposed to allowing hardly any carbohydrate into our diets! It's the third macro-nutrient, for cryin' out loud. :laugh:

And there are certainly a large percentage of us here who stopped losing on very low carb, could never actually lose on very low carb, and who even started to gain weight on very low carb! :eek:

I wonder if that YMMV thing is because there are some bodies that interpret an extremely low level of carbohydrate as starvation... and that require a higher and more varied carb diet while being within acceptable calorie ranges, to be willing to lose the body fat.

And to feel good. And to feel vibrant and energetic and healthy and happy. Some people even experience mental depression and irritability after awhile on low carb. Not that the symptoms can't be doctored up, but just that they even come in the first place.....

Just contemplating an interesting subject here. :)

Beeb 02-24-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15442257)
You know.. this makes me wonder something. You know how everyone is always saying, YMMV? Your mileage may vary. And we do understand that and believe it for so many things.

But then, all of a sudden, some of us are so opposed to allowing hardly any carbohydrate into our diets! It's the third macro-nutrient, for cryin' out loud. :laugh:

And there are certainly a large percentage of us here who stopped losing on very low carb, could never actually lose on very low carb, and who even started to gain weight on very low carb! :eek:

I wonder if that YMMV thing is because there are some bodies that interpret an extremely low level of carbohydrate as starvation... and that require a higher and more varied carb diet while being within acceptable calorie ranges, to be willing to lose the body fat.

And to feel good. And to feel vibrant and energetic and healthy and happy. Some people even experience mental depression and irritability after awhile on low carb. Not that the symptoms can't be doctored up, but just that they even come in the first place.....

Just contemplating an interesting subject here. :)

YES, YES AND YES!! :goodpost:

Kissa 02-24-2012 11:08 AM

" " "

mattsmama 02-24-2012 06:37 PM

I am so glad for you, adi. I actually feel so much better on my UDs when I start with whole oats or meusli mixed with greek yogurt and chopped fruit with a tbsp or two of walnuts. Power up!:high5:
It took me a while to realize how much I had changed on LC. But thanks to JUDDD, I am back to my annoying, energetic self.:hyst:

ETA:I adore brown rice. 3/4 cup cooked is one serving. And so good with so many things!! I even have it in an omelette sometimes with salsa for breakfast. Yum!

gotsomeold 02-25-2012 03:48 AM

In older posts I chattered about how I believe low carb and JUDDD are different, but related, ketogenic paths to the same weight loss goal (and how some JUDDDers will find ketostix turning pink on DD).

Thanks for putting that into perspective, Pat.

I suspect many bodies do interpret low or no carb eating as starvation. I wonder if anyone has ever tested lc eaters for sirtuin enzymes? I have never read about such a test.

Interesting. That would explain why lc sometimes results in a stall even when the amount of food being eaten is adjusted down: good old starvation mode raising it's very ugly head even though the person really is not hungry. Golly, this idea makes me love the UD/DD rotation even more!

adillenal 02-25-2012 06:10 AM

I really think I may be one of those that interprets LC as starvation. Years ago I tried Stillman's which is VLC and lowfat. Basically lean meat only and I did not lose after the initial drop. I can maintain on Atkins 72 but rarely lose anything after the first two weeks. BUT I can lose pretty steady on the Rice Diet which has veggies, fruit, yogurt, brown rice, beans and meat ( but only once a week.) Lots of good carbs there but I get tired of the lowfat aspect after about a month. Hence the attraction to JUDDD.

I am revamping my menues to add mmore complex carbs and this is a DD but I am starting it with oat bran for 120 calories. We shall see how this goes.

SoHappy 02-25-2012 06:35 AM

Do you keep track of your foods and amounts in ****** or ********* or some such?

I would be fun for you to come back in a week or two to list some of the carbohydrate choices you included in your menus. It sounds like many are going to fall into that *resistant starch* grouping that is being studied so much now and is garnering so much interest in the positive health aspects they're finding.

I kept a list of the different vegetables, fruits, grains and 'other' plant based foods like nuts, etc. that I ate last week, and it came to over 30 different foods, and in order to get listed, the food had to be eaten in a quantity that would come close to an entire serving if it were standing alone! So the list didn't even include those things that we use for seasoning, like garlic or tumeric or parsley flakes, etc. And many of the foods on the list were eaten on more than a single day, so several servings of a lot of the plant-based foods.

Then when the animal-based foods are added in, I really am eating a whole lot like I did so very many years ago, and I LOVE it! Lots of animal proteins and fats from meats including poultry and seafood, eggs and all dairy! But I could not go back to very low carb eating for all the tea in China. Oh! Lots of tea too. I wonder if that constitutes a vegetable if I drink enough of it? :laugh:

adillenal 02-25-2012 06:46 AM

Pat - I use ******. My DH and I are trying to get back to wholesome eating for our retirement years. We raised and butchered two pigs and a steer last year so we have an abundance of GOOD meat that we know exactly what they were fed. We are establishing a laying hen flock. The oldest should start laying in another month. I have a very small garden right now due to time but have an abundance of fresh spinach. I have fresh goat milk but not any extra right now to make kefir. baby goats are drinking it all. Another couple of months and I can start the kefir brewing again.

I was raised on grass fed beef, home grown pork and chickens. Sometimes we bought raw cow milk from the lady down the road. Mother always had a huge garden. Since she taught she had the summers to garden, can and freeze food. She never used pesticides as I recall either on the garden. She used rice in all casserole type dishes.

I was also wondering about Keirasmom's thread about hives. I do not have hives but maybe my extreme fatigue is related to toxins being released from my fat cells. I have also struggled with very little if any loss this month. I seem to be hanging on to every pound or rather adding due to fluid retention. Four 20 oz glasses of lemon water certainly helped with that yesterday.

I cannot see me going back to LC either. I need to keep increasing the vegetables in ratio to my meat servings. Old habits die hard it seems. Too many years of LC'ing. Eating large amounts of veggies seems like I am breaking the rules.

Thanks for all of the input. I think I am on the right path.