Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Low Carb Sweetener Help! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/758944-low-carb-sweetener-help.html)

DD80 02-21-2012 01:37 PM

Low Carb Sweetener Help!

OK PEOPLE. HELP ME. I think I screwed up on my low carb desserts. I should have just used sugar, but thought, "why not use this xylitol? It can't hurt me." :annoyed: So, in addition to my deadly death sickness, I have the "laxative" effect going on...but it's extreme. :eek: I'll spare you the details...but it is extreme. I've never had this before. Does anyone else have this problem with xylitol? Is it my deadly death sickness? Please. Help. Me. I don't want to die of the deadly death sickness AND stupidity. :o

P.S. Mind you, I had 1/8th of a cheesecake made with 1 cup of xylitol and 1/3 cup da vinci syrup and the pots de creme had 1/4 cup xylitol for 8 of them, and I had 1. I've eaten xylitol before...never had a problem. Only had a problem with those sugar free jellos and NOTHING like this. :cry:

Carmiel 02-21-2012 02:03 PM

I also learned the hard way that Xylitol and I don't get along. I had used small amounts of it in tea before or sprinkled on strawberries and actually found the taste very agreeable, it was just like sugar. I thought it would be great in baked goods so a couple months ago I made some kind of dessert with it. Bad idea!! I got pretty much the same results you did. You probably won't die but it sure isn't fun. :sad: I also found out it could kill dogs if they ate it so I got rid of it, that just can't be healthy.

Carol

DD80 02-21-2012 02:12 PM

Thanks for the response! The death remark is just me exaggerating for funnies, but it sure doesn't great! I feel better knowing you had the same response. What a waste of good ingredients. Ugh.

KeirasMom 02-21-2012 02:32 PM

I have wondered if that's what makes me miserable with the low cal OMM. I think it might be, and I get the same deathly dead dying death you have. I haven't tried the OMM or Xylitol since the second time (I always give things two chances). It's now just taking up space in my cupboard.

gharkness 02-21-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

I've eaten xylitol before...never had a problem. Only had a problem with those sugar free jellos and NOTHING like this. :cry:
Then, it's very unlikely your problem is with xylitol. There's something else in what you ate that is causing the problem. It's worth finding out what, because if you think it's xylitol and it's not....then you are likely to have the problem again.

BTW, the Jello's sweetened with Aspartame. You are more likely sensitive to that....

831mariposa 02-21-2012 03:28 PM

Sorry to hear that, DD80 :(

I don't have that reaction to anything, in fact, I seek out that "problem" by flushing myself with several cups of detox tea time to time.
I have had some really bad, bad times with that in the past though, I am no stranger to what you speak of!!!
Hope you are feeling a little better

solarpluvia 02-21-2012 03:35 PM

If you haven't had trouble with xylitol before, it may be a problem with the fats. If I eat lots of fat without protein and fiber, I get similar bathroom problems. Avocado just about kills me, and lately things with too much coconut oil also give me trouble.

Although, counting it up, you probably had about 25 grams of xylitol, which is around bowel tolerance for many people. Especially if you haven't worked up to it. I do hope that you're ok soon. Next time maybe erythritol would be a better choice, or a mixture.

irene61189 02-21-2012 04:39 PM

All the sugar alcohols (xylitol, maltitol, sorbitol, etc) can have a very strong laxative effect on individuals. But everybody is different and for some people it takes a lot, and for others even a very small amount can cause a lot of grief. I have also found that some people become more sensitive to them over time and others become less sensitive.

b_lou_who 02-21-2012 04:42 PM

Erythritol and stevia wont do that to you, and both are available organic

mod9032 02-21-2012 04:44 PM

Xylitol can do that if your not used to it. It is good for you so you can do what I did....start out with very small servings and work up slowly. Doesn't bother me anymore.

SoHappy 02-21-2012 04:47 PM

I am just so-o-o-o sorry this has happened to you. Hope it is better now and you're just fine in the morning. :sad:

When I need anything sweetened, I just use regular sugar or brown sugar or honey or whatever. I just don't use artificial or substitute foods anymore. I just got to the point where I decided I wanted the real thing.. or nothing. I'm just back to eating a whole lot more like I did in the olden days, just regular whole foods, and mostly made-from-scratch-by-me foods. It works for me, and I love it. No fake foods or franken ingredients for me anymore.

Hope you're feeling better. :console:

theredhead 02-21-2012 05:26 PM

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I always have a lot of gassiness after eating anything with malitol, but xylitol doesn't seem to affect me at all. I think that just shows that everybody reacts differently.

I love xylitol, but have stopped using much of it since I found out it still has a LOT of calories (less than sugar, but not zero like you might think). And like someone else pointed out, it's good for you. It's a natural pre-biotic. Betty mentioned that Jello is sweetened with aspartame and not xylitol, but I think you must mean the Jello SF puddings. They're sweetened with xylitol and I eat them all the time with no problem.

Anyway, I hope you figure it out. :hugs:

mykidsteacher 02-21-2012 08:17 PM

I like stevia to sweeten things mainly herbal teas and my OMM. Would prefer to just use honey, but my blood sugar doesn't allow that. I've been allowing more AS lately, and need to cut back on them again.

I'm sorry you are having issues, and hope it resolves quickly. If you have any probiotics on hand, it might help to rebalance your gut flora and get things back in control.

gotsomeold 02-22-2012 02:44 AM

Every sugar alcohol I have ever tried has resulted in an extended visit to the private library. I gave up long ago and avoid them all. I hope you are feeling better today!

ouizoid 02-22-2012 06:51 AM

Xylitol kills me and then I am a zombie, come alive to torture the living. Oh The Humanity!! Erythritol, eh, not so much.

vilanteira 02-22-2012 09:37 AM

My body can only tolerate xylitol in very small amounts or I'll have the same issue as you, although xylitol's effect on me is not nearly as bad as maltitol. Maltitol causes serious extreme horror in anything more than tiny amounts. :eek:

I avoid refined sugar for blood sugar/insulin resistance issues and because it triggers bad acid reflux when I have anything more than a rare once-in-a-while indulgence or tiny amounts in sauces and 85-90% dark chocolate, etc. So I mostly use stevia. If you don't have issues with sugar though, I'd just use that rather than having the "extreme" bathroom issues with many of the sugar alcohols.

So sorry for what you're going through since I've definitely been there before! Hope you feel better soon! :console:

DD80 02-22-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15434929)
I am just so-o-o-o sorry this has happened to you. Hope it is better now and you're just fine in the morning. :sad:

When I need anything sweetened, I just use regular sugar or brown sugar or honey or whatever. I just don't use artificial or substitute foods anymore. I just got to the point where I decided I wanted the real thing.. or nothing. I'm just back to eating a whole lot more like I did in the olden days, just regular whole foods, and mostly made-from-scratch-by-me foods. It works for me, and I love it. No fake foods or franken ingredients for me anymore.

Hope you're feeling better. :console:

:goodpost: I agree with you! I was on the edge of using sugar because I really agree in a whole foods diet. I should have listened to the little voice inside. I will from now on.

Thanks to EVERYONE who responded. :shake: I appreciate all the responses and ideas. I wasn't sure what to think because I'm sick with some virus :sick:(cold/flu? I don't know, I kinda have symptoms of both, but not all) and it was scary to all of a sudden have a "new" symptom on top of the deadly death sickness. :laugh:

I tried the cheesecake again today (what can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment!) I am still sick, but once I ate the cheesecake, the "symptoms" returned, although not with the same vengence as yesterday, but with enough gusto to make me realize that it probably is the xylitol.

I can't have stevia, as I am allergic to it. I had a definite allergic reaction to drinking a soda sweetened with stevia - tired, throat/chest felt like it was closing up. It was bad. I learned that anyone with a ragweed allergy might have a reaction to stevia...well, my ragweed allergy is through the roof, so it makes sense to me.

I will stick with real sugar when the need arises. Again, thank you for all the help! This really is a fantastic community. :)

SoHappy 02-22-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD80 (Post 15437026)

I will stick with real sugar when the need arises.

One thing about using *real* sugar... I've found that often you don't have to use as much as a recipe calls for, nor as much as we were used to using in something, previous to our starting low carb.

In other words, using real sugar, and eating a lot of real sugar, can be poles apart.

This time 02-22-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD80 (Post 15434504)
OK PEOPLE. HELP ME. I think I screwed up on my low carb desserts. I should have just used sugar, but thought, "why not use this xylitol? It can't hurt me." :annoyed: So, in addition to my deadly death sickness, I have the "laxative" effect going on...but it's extreme. :eek: I'll spare you the details...but it is extreme. I've never had this before. Does anyone else have this problem with xylitol? Is it my deadly death sickness? Please. Help. Me. I don't want to die of the deadly death sickness AND stupidity. :o

P.S. Mind you, I had 1/8th of a cheesecake made with 1 cup of xylitol and 1/3 cup da vinci syrup and the pots de creme had 1/4 cup xylitol for 8 of them, and I had 1. I've eaten xylitol before...never had a problem. Only had a problem with those sugar free jellos and NOTHING like this. :cry:

Your not alone sweetie:hugs: I always over do that stuff:eek:..It's very potent:D:D