Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Exercise (calories) and JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/758852-exercise-calories-juddd.html)

oneoftwo 02-20-2012 04:41 PM

Exercise (calories) and JUDDD

I am curious how much other JUDDD's account for how many calories they burn when they workout vs their UD/DD limits?

I am currently training for my second half marathon and also working on toning up for the summer/bathing suit season. So for the next couple month I will pretty much be working out 7 days a week.

My runs from this point forward will be 4-10 miles per run (so between 400-1000 calories per run) AND I am doing two Jillian Michaels dvd's per day so average about 300 calories for both.

I guess I just do not want to "cheat" myself from calories if I could be eating more then I am now....thoughts??

sunday 02-20-2012 04:58 PM

I think you should definitely eat more cals and possibly the highest that Johnson''s suggest. You are exercising and running so much that it would seem to be working against you if you didn't. :dunno:

mattsmama 02-20-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 15432367)
I think you should definitely eat more cals and possibly the highest that Johnson''s suggest. You are exercising and running so much that it would seem to be working against you if you didn't. :dunno:

I agree. I definitely allow more calories on heavier workout days. Hasn't been a problem. In fact, the only problem I've had was a more "difficult " run when I did not consume nearly enough the night before(which was an UD).

gotsomeold 02-21-2012 12:28 AM

In the book Dr J says you can eat back the calories you burned during exercise.

Chuckle, from context it is clear he did not imagine anyone doing JUDDD and running 10 miles a day.

I agree with upping your calories. Then keep a close eye on what your body does with them. If the relationship between calories burned and calories eaten is not one-to-one for your personal metabolism, then you will see a stall, weight gain, or way-too-fast-for-health weight loss. You should be able to tune cals up or down to ensure weight loss and health stay in balance.

oneoftwo 02-21-2012 04:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I may be ok since I really do not count on UD (so FD) and keep it around 500 on DD, maybe I will just see how things go and then if needed up my DD calories a bit

gotsomeold 02-21-2012 05:49 AM

A flexible woe is a livable woe!

darlingnikki 02-21-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15433142)
A flexible woe is a livable woe!

:high5:

Kissa 02-21-2012 12:46 PM

Eat up!

hockey_gal 02-21-2012 08:12 PM

I add the calories to my total for the day but I don't add them all. If an online calculator tells me I burned 500 calories then I'll add 300. Otherwise, what is the point of even exercising ;) Just kidding there, but you get the point. I have trouble exercising w/o adequate calories so I may be different...

SoHappy 02-22-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneoftwo (Post 15433042)
Thanks for the feedback. I may be ok since I really do not count on UD (so FD) and keep it around 500 on DD, maybe I will just see how things go and then if needed up my DD calories a bit

Yeah, you should be able to tell pretty well by your own body weight as the days and weeks pass. If you are losing weight, particularly if you are losing much weight, you're probably working off a lot more calories than you're eating.

If your weight is staying fairly close to the maintenance level you are happy with, your exercise isn't outdoing your intake of calories.

Just let your body weight be your guide and tell you what you need to do. Good luck with your program. It sounds exciting. And intense! :laugh: