Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carmiel
Stats: 203/163.4/155
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/12/2012
Gluten Free/Low-Carb Bread Help

I have made a couple attempts at making some kind of gluten free/low carb bread with really bad results. I found the recipe below on a website called Maria's Nutritious and Delicious Journal and made a batch on Saturday. It looked beautiful coming out of the oven, I tried a piece Sunday morning with breakfast and it was horrible!!! It was dry and pretty much tasted like cardboard - my dogs wouldn't even eat it and they will eat just about anything. I tried another bread that was made mostly with coconut flour and almond flour. Again, it looked great but the texture was hard to stomach and I wasn't thrilled with the taste either. Should I just give up on gluten free/low carb bread alltogether?
PROTEIN BREAD:
6 eggs, separated
1 cup Jay Robb unflavored egg white or whey protein
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Separate the eggs (save the yolks for a different recipe...creme brule???), and whip the whites for a few minutes until VERY stiff (I use a stand mixer on high for a few minutes). Slowly fold in the whey protein and onion powder if using. Then slowly fold in the cream cheese into the whites (making sure the whites don't fall). Grease a bread pan and fill with "dough." Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let completely cool before cutting or the bread will fall. Cut into 12 slices. I keep this bread in the freezer at all times to make sandwiches.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per slice)
White Bread = 80 calories, 15 carbs, 1 fiber, 3 g protein
"Healthified" Bread = 60 calories, trace carbs, 6 g protein
Carol
Carmiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
What I would do is post this recipe on the Recipe Help and Suggestions forum and see if anyone can give you a hand or give you another GF\/LC recipe that is tried and true.

Most of us JUDDDers are not LCing, per say, anymore so I'm not sure if you will get much help here.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carmiel
Stats: 203/163.4/155
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/12/2012
Thanks Beeb, I am not really low cal but my husband is having to cut out gluten and I thought I would do a little experimenting with bread. I didn't know there was such a forum as this is the only one I have visited - I'll give that a try!

Carol
Carmiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Try doing a bean based quick bread? I make them for family with celiacs. Not really sandwich bread though if that. Is what you are going for.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
My brother in law has to eat gluten free. I have tried all the breads he gets, and, like him, agree they aren't great. Need lots of spreads of floavourful and calorific kinds.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
There is a bakery in La Jolla, CA that will ship bread to you and they have some great low carb/gluten free finds. It is a bit expensive, but you can buy a few loaves and freeze them.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
The problem with gluten free breads is that they aren't gluten-filled wheat breads! That's the wonderful yeast-y-bread-y flavor we all associate with *bread*, in all it's various flavor variations. But, from what I understand, for a gluten free bread, the following is pretty darned good! Bob's Red Mill makes all of these flours, so if your grocery doesn't carry something that you need, you should be able to ask them to get it for you, or you could order online.

Just think of it this way... Gluten free bread isn't ever going to taste like wheat bread. But Splenda doesn't taste like sugar either. Diet soda doesn't taste like the real thing. Guar or Xanthan gum thickened gravy doesn't taste like the real thing made with flour either. Cauliflower doesn't remotely make mashed potatoes! BUT, if you need to eliminate the real thing from your diet for any reason, after awhile the replacement product doesn't taste quite so bad after all, and eventually it comes to taste just fine to you. And maybe then.. even preferable.

So I think your sweetie will come to enjoy the happiness of being able to have bread again and remain gluten free at the same time. Good luck.

1. -- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix

3 parts brown rice flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
3 parts corn starch
2 parts soy flour, sorghum flour or garfava flour
1 part masa harina

2. -- Gluten Free Sandwich Bread

1 Tbsp. bread machine yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 ˝ c. water (105 degrees or a little less than hot)

2 ˝ cups gluten free flour mix (above)
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1tsp. salt

3 eggs (or 9 Tbsp. water and 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed)
1 ˝ Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. cider vinegar

1. Start by combining the yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Add the water while gently stirring the yeast and sugar. Let this mixture sit while you mix the rest of the ingredients – bubbles and foam should form if the yeast is good.

2. Combine the flour mix, xanthan gum and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir well.

3. In a third bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and vinegar until the eggs are a bit frothy.

4. By this point the yeast mixture should be foamy, so you can pour the two liquid mixtures into the flour mixture. Blend the dough with a mixer for 4 minutes.

Scoop the dough into a greased loaf pan. Allow the dough to rise in a warm area until is is about 1 inch from the top of the pan. Then bake at 375 degrees for 50 – 60 minutes.

Last edited by SoHappy; 02-21-2012 at 02:27 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote