Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   my very own UD trouble ... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/758596-my-very-own-ud-trouble.html)

annieS 02-20-2012 02:00 AM

my very own UD trouble ...

This post might sound really really weird to most of you but... I'm struggling on UD to eat enough !

According to the website my stat are DD=490 / UD=1950
But i've been watching my weigh for so long I really have to "force" myself to eat all this calories !!! Plus, as I don't eat meat I tend to eat more veggies which aren't calorific enough...

When I tried JUDDD last year I think I stalled really quickly simply because I didn't understand I really had to eat 1900 cal on UD ! When eating "normally" I guess I am more around 1500/day...

So well, now that I understood that I shall take measures... As for today, I'm eating out for lunch and i'll make veggy burger for diner (with baked sweet potatos chips) this should be enough huh ..... ;)

I sometimes can't believe i'm "dieting", being like "oh, I need 200 more calories for today, what could I have..."

I :heart: JUDDD

MintQ8 02-20-2012 02:31 AM

For some this is indeed a problem - for me not so much!!!

As you don't eat meat - it's probably a good idea to think about otherways you can add cals to your day - for example, cream, oil, butter - delicious sauces!!

Do you eat eggs and cheese - they can add up?

At least you are aware of this!! You can do it!

giggles4me 02-20-2012 04:04 AM

I too have a hard time on UP days. Yesterday I was to eat 1800 calories. I came close to 1200 so I am going to try and eat under 300 calories for my DD day today. Hope this works.

Can you do that, you know lower your UP and your DD calories to still have the same count difference?

Pami 02-20-2012 04:04 AM

I'm beginning my 8th week, and I still have this problem. I do eat meat, but it
doesn't always add up as fast as you'd expect. My only advice is to start early
on the UDs, and be mindful that you are trying for nearly 2000 calories. I tend
to panic a little when it's only 4 hours til bedtime, and I have only had half my
calories.

If it's in my mind first thing in the AM, I can enjoy the panic all day long! :rofl:

Seriously, it's getting easier by starting earlier and keeping a mental tally, and
trying to remember that I didn't get this size by NOT eating- so I know I can do
it. Just think back to some non-dieting days and try to recall some choices you
made when your choices weren't restricted in any way. Some of those choices
will undoubtedly provide a substantial number of calories.

gotsomeold 02-20-2012 04:10 AM

You are most definitely not alone. Several of us struggle to eat even near our UD calories...and it gets worse after appetite suppression kicks in :annoyed:.

Vicky's fats and cheeses suggestion is a huge help.

Advice:
Don't try to get there all at once. Try to add 100 or so calories a day. Just as some of us have to gradually reduce DD calories, others have to gradually increase UD cals.

I find I have to eat lunch and try to get a lot of calories in then because by I really don't like that heavy feeling a big dinner can give...If I am not almost 'there' by diner, I am probably not going to make it.

I have re-instated the dreaded afternoon snack. Water crackers and cheese and sitting quietly reading, playing a game, or watching TV for thirty minutes is very refreshing.

Keep a list of 'golly, that would be good on UD!' ideas (they tend to pop up a the strangest times). Go over the list on UD and prepare one of them for UD. It is funny but on UD I never seem to get sudden urges.

PLAN your UD. Keep a running count of calories. Last week I had a busy day. At 6 PM I realized I had not eaten since about 300 cals of hwc in the morning. (Didn't make goal that day) :(

annieS 02-20-2012 05:11 AM

Thank you for all your advices...

So far, I'm pretty good today, I'm just back from lunch in a lovely restaurant 5 minutes from home where you can see all of Paris (Eiffel tower included) and I had salmon with mashed potato + a "café gourmand" which is litteraly an espresso + all desserts on the menu in bite-size... It was reaaaally yummy :heart:

I have no idea how i'll be able to count the calories in that though :lol:

gotsomeold 02-20-2012 06:03 AM

That sounds like a delightful meal! Especially when accompanied by a breath-taking view! I wonder if the view can count as a few calories?

Jeanne, there is a minimum number of UD calories you have to eat in order to stop the stress response you started on your DD. If you don't break that stress response, the body moves from stress to starvation mode - severe stress, start burning muscle tissue for energy, and hold onto the weight (stall).

The calculated UD calories are a best approximation for what you need to stop the stress. Some people of your age/height/weight need more, some need less, and for some ;) the porridge is just right. You can certainly experiment to find your sweet spot (and that spot will probably be a range).

Most people drop DD calories as low as they are comfortable. The deeper the stress response, the more sirtuin enzymes flood into the body = the more JUDDD magic.

Kissa 02-20-2012 06:38 AM

Wine! You are French! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

theredhead 02-20-2012 06:43 AM

Gee, this is a problem I kind of wish I had, lol! I got fat because I love to eat and even now, I have to pace myself or I'm at 2500 cals lickety split! I'm sure you'll figure it out. :laugh:

giggles4me 02-20-2012 06:47 AM

Thanks Nancy,
I think I will experiment with the calorie differences. Today is a DD and I am going to see how long I can go before I have to eat. Would like to know what a Fast feels like.

MLE 02-20-2012 06:56 AM

Yea! Someone else on this side of the world!:hiya:
I can't imagine how you have a hard time meeting the allotted calories on UD when there are all of these wonderful french foods around - pastries, sauces, wines, cheeses, bread!! I am not french but I sure am enjoying your cuisine and having no problem hitting my calories.:yummy:

shirlc 02-20-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredhead (Post 15430520)
Gee, this is a problem I kind of wish I had, lol! I got fat because I love to eat and even now, I have to pace myself or I'm at 2500 cals lickety split! I'm sure you'll figure it out. :laugh:

That's exactly what I was thinking! I just love roasted nuts and I would sure like to eat more of them!!!

sunday 02-20-2012 07:45 AM

I was having this problem also, but began to add butter, walnuts, mac nuts and/or avocado to my meals and it helps alot. :)

mykidsteacher 02-20-2012 07:54 AM

I have the same problem, and I do eat meat. Just no grains/very little sugar/no potatoes.

But, high fat foods help. Avocado and cheese on a salad, a handful of nuts a couple times a day (my handful is about 1 oz), full fat salad dressing, coconut oil bark. Stir fry your veggies in olive oil or coconut oil and add butter on top.

These are all things that help me.

DD80 02-20-2012 08:00 AM

I had a crazy UD the other day and thought, "I'm ruined." I've thought that after each UD, but didn't gain weight, so I thought,"well, at least I didn't gain." Well, after the crazy UD, I lost another pound. EATING IS GOOD. You need the calories! It will help you lose. It's crazy. I know - I always thing I'm sabotaging myself by eating.

I got screwed up because of a Migraine this weekend. Friday was a DD, ok, that's when the Migraine started, so no biggie, but Saturday was a UD and I was so pissed to be so sick all day! It ended up being a MD. I tried so hard to eat, but I just couldn't. Yesterday, I made a UD (tried very hard! Headache finally gave up in the evening). I am also pissed because I needed Friday to be my UD this week (and it worked out perfectly), but because of headache, I'm at another DD this Friday. UGH.

sungoddess 02-20-2012 08:16 AM

I have a hard time wrapping my head around this. I understand the concept of not thinking one should eat more calories, but getting them in is harder for me to understand because my problem is so much in the opposite direction.
I think starting early in the day as other have suggested is key. You know the concept circulating around about eating 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of getting up? It kick starts your metabolism. After a DD, your metabolism slows down so if you get up and eat a good breakfast you can kick start the fires burning on your metabolism again.
A nice egg omelet with cheese on it, cooked in coconut oil, or your favorite oil can get the calories started early. Adding some ham or bacon to it would get the calories up as well.

Adding a yummy butter to your veges helps. Making flavored compound butters is fun. Making herb butter or spicy butters can really kick up the flavors of the veges. Just eating nuts makes a big difference. Trader Joes makes the most wonderful roasted and salted marcona almonds with rosemary. A mere 1/4 cup of those is 190 calories! Beef can easily add more calories than chicken. Avocado has good healthy fats and can add about 300 calories for one. I also second the vote for coconut bark. It is such a healthy oil and some of the bark can add calories very quickly.

Good luck to you!!:)

Beeb 02-20-2012 10:04 AM

Add some good fats in your UD diet; coconut oil, olive oil, butter, yogurt, cheese, dairy products, beans/legumes, etc. to up those calories without much trouble!! AND remember http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...gotta-eat.html ;):up:

adillenal 02-20-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredhead (Post 15430520)

Ditto

laranda 02-20-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15430166)
Keep a list of 'golly, that would be good on UD!' ideas (they tend to pop up a the strangest times). Go over the list on UD and prepare one of them for UD. It is funny but on UD I never seem to get sudden urges.

:goodpost: We should have a thread dedicated to high caloric foods :)
I have the same problem, what's especially upsetting is I hate eating when I'm not hungry! It seems so counterintuitive to a healthy lifestyle.

giggles4me 02-21-2012 04:08 AM

well today is another UD and I am going to try very hard to get my total calories in. I did great on my DD yesterday and the scale showed it, down another pound. I think I will go out for a nice lunch today. And yes maybe even get a Starbucks!

annieS 02-21-2012 05:09 AM

I guess I just needed to start this thread to have a biggest UD ever, without even trying...
As I told you we went out for lunch and I made veggie burgers for diner, had 2 of them, and many glasses of wine... such a great way to get all the calories needed ;) I think I was around 2050 at the end of the day !

Thank you for all your advices. I'll try to start my day with bread & cheese tomorrow, should work ;)

gotsomeold 02-21-2012 05:47 AM

Obviously, you just need to go out for a few meals every UD. That way, you can run out of money in no time! :clap:

annieS 02-21-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15433139)
Obviously, you just need to go out for a few meals every UD. That way, you can run out of money in no time! :clap:

:hyst: so true ....... let's drop kilos & euros yeah !

sungoddess 02-21-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15433139)

Going out makes you run out of money AND calories, that's for sure. I can't believe how many calories I can consume when going out for a simple lunch!

cherryhair 02-21-2012 11:40 AM

I have this problem too but it's mostly about flipping my mindset back and forth from I have to live off of less than 500 cals to I have to get in almost 2000 before bed time. It makes me feel a little schizo at times.

giggles4me 02-21-2012 12:13 PM

I am having a great UD. so far I have gotten in around 1,000 calories. Going to have a nice Chicken and vegg dinner, hope this covers the rest.