Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majella View Post
Or breaded Brie deep fat fried served with cranberry conserve yum! Brie on crackers or in a toasted sandwich with rocket!! I do love my Brie I'm going to France in May so I'll be sampling a lot of French food yummm
Bake brie with raspberries and eat.

Triple cream brie if you can find it!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
French Herb Bread (from King Arthur Flour)

"Make your very own version of flavorful herbed peasant bread. With minimal effort and a dash of herbes de Provence, you'll feel like you've been transported to the South of France!"

* 1 ¼ cups lukewarm water
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
* 2 tablespoons Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
* ¼ cup potato flour or ½ cup dried potato flakes
* 2 tablespoons herbes de Provence
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 ½ teaspoons instant yeast

(someone commented that they also added 2 T dry minced onion to the mix.)

1) Combine all of the ingredients, and mix and knead — by hand, mixer, or bread machine set on the dough cycle — until smooth, adding additional water or flour as needed.

2) Cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 hour.

3) Divide the dough into 4 pieces, shape into logs, and place in lightly greased mini loaf pans. For one large loaf, shape the entire piece of dough into a log and place in a lightly greased 9" x 5" loaf pan.

4) Cover and let rise until the dough has crowned about ½" over the rims of the mini loaf pans, or 1" over the rim of the larger pan, 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the warmth of the kitchen. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

5) Bake the bread for 30 to 35 minutes for the mini loaves, 35 to 40 minutes for the larger loaf. An instant-read thermometer, inserted into the center of a loaf, should register at least 190°F. Tent the bread lightly with foil if it appears to be browning too quickly.

6) Remove the bread from the oven, turn it out of the pan, and cool on a rack.

Yield: 4 mini loaves, or 1 large loaf.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Mine is still in the pan rising. I put it in the pan, covered lightly with a sheet of greased foil, and put it in the oven. On the bottom rack underneath I put a large bowl of hot water so the heat would rise directly under the bread pan. Then I shut the oven door. It's needing extra time to rise, but I'm not a very good bread maker, so probably had the dough consistency wrong. It seems to be rising OK, if slowly, so I'm just going to let it take the time it needs to rise.

I didn't add the dry onion flakes/onion powder like someone mentioned, but maybe I will next time.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-16-2012 at 09:26 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Mine is still in the pan rising. I put it in the pan, covered lightly with a sheet of greased foil, and put it in the oven. On the bottom rack underneath I put a large bowl of hot water so the heat would rise directly under the bread pan. Then I shut the oven door. It's needing extra time to rise, but I'm not a very good bread maker, so probably had the dough consistency wrong. It seems to be rising OK, if slowly, so I'm just going to let it take the time it needs to rise.

I didn't add the dry onion flakes/onion powder like someone mentioned, but maybe I will next time.
I this recipe. I wish I was home.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh wow. Silly me. I just realized why it was taking double the time to rise in the pan. I didn't knead it!!! lol. I'm so used to making a "no-knead" dough recipe for the last couple years that I just stirred everything up and let it sit. So anyway, it's rising, just taking longer, but I think another half hour will do it. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I'm making my shopping list. Trying to decide if I want to go to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods after work. On a DD. You guys are killing me.

Anyone know where you can find foie gras? DH and I have never had it and have talked about trying it. Seems like a good time to do so! Also, how would one serve it?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Brie... and wine... and more brie... *looking forward to tomorrow!*
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

Had a large piece of the herb bread, hot from oven with butter, evoo, and pepper jack cheese. Glass of wine now and probably a small piece of chocolate.

Boy the living is hard here in JUDDDland, lol!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Today is an UD but I shot my wad at a client lunch (1875 so far for the day, and my allottment is 1704-and it's only 2:30...)-BUT IT WAS WORTH IT! Declicious burger at a lovely restaurant, with french fries, and a roll! (low carber here-what a treat!). So I can't join you.

I love to cook French, and my daughter says MY French bread is BETTER than anything she had in Paris!! I use Julia Child's recipe-labor intensive, but worth it.

I also use a recipe by Nancy Silverton, where you start by growing your own yeast also labor intensive but wonderful.

Quote:
Anyone know where you can find foie gras? DH and I have never had it and have talked about trying it. Seems like a good time to do so! Also, how would one serve it?
I love it! like sex on a plate....You can get in online-I forget the name of the famous place in NY state- I think D'artagnon? , run by a French woman-hard to find in a regular store and very expensive. But you can get a decent pate at Whole Foods

Normally it is quickly sauteed in extremely hot pan, and served either plain or with bread, sometimes cornichon. It can also be compressed into a terrine and cooked...oh, my....

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 02-16-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #70

Thanks! Looks like I won't be able to get it by tomorrow, so I'll stick with a nice pate, some pears and apples, brie and other cheeses, wine, and a good baguette.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
It is a DD for me tomorrow but will raise my wine glass to French days!!!! (in lieu of dinner, ha!)
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

I think Saturday UD is going to be an extension of this French Day for me. I kinda failed at this one. Yes, had the goat cheese, but that's it really. I overate and can't have wine now. I'm kind of disappointed with myself (feel like old habits came back hard), but time to get back on track! I need to go to the store after working out and get some healthy food for me.

Not trying to be a downer! I see the error of my ways and I'm back on track!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
I think Saturday UD is going to be an extension of this French Day for me. I kinda failed at this one. Yes, had the goat cheese, but that's it really. I overate and can't have wine now. I'm kind of disappointed with myself (feel like old habits came back hard), but time to get back on track! I need to go to the store after working out and get some healthy food for me.

Don't feel bad, DD, I only had French things interspersed with the other things, lol. And actually had more bread and chocolate than I normally would, but then it was a "special occasion" you might say. Hope your next day goes better!

Maybe one of our parties will be "Health Food Heaven".
Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Trying for a better down day. Yesterday's was 1,000 it was dinners fault.
B. cream of wheat that I hadn't had for over a year.
Half Banana, milk with lots of FRENCH ROAST COFFEE
Lunch 5pm, two eggs, few dried cherry. Coconut butter.
D? Steak and hope to make the cabbage mixture.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post

Don't beat yourself up, just pick up again. This WOE does take a bit of planning. I am joining you for french day Saturday. I was going out Saturday (UD) but that just got canceled, so now I am going to plan on a LC cheese souffle and a good movie (or at least a movie, who knows what ). Oh and don't forget the wine!!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh yes, this party was kind of short notice too! So that's another factor! No reason not to extend it to Saturday!

So I had the Classic French Chicken in White Wine Sauce - Wonderful!! I made some changes, like a spoonful of Herbes de Provence and increased the amount of the sauce (broth and wine as stated + 1/2 c. hwc, 3/4 c. water...). I used 2 boneless chicken breasts and also some mushrooms. Oh, added some thin spaghetti to simmer and soak up the sauce.

Here's the basic recipe from Fine Cooking:

Classic French Chicken in White Wine Sauce
by James Peterson

This is a variation on a chicken fricassée, using a classic French mirepoix to flavor the sauce. The addition of a little prosciutto or ham to the mirepoix gives the finished sauce a nice depth. If the ham you choose is particularly salty, season the chicken only very lightly with salt. Serve the chicken in wide soup bowls with egg noodles or rice, if you like, and the sauce spooned over all. Serves four.

2 Tbs. butter
4-lb. chicken, cut into 6 pieces (or 3-1/2 to 4 lb. chicken pieces)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1/2 rib celery, finely chopped
2 oz. prosciutto or country ham, finely chopped
3/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup homemade or low-salt canned chicken stock
3 Tbs. heavy cream (at room temperature)
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook it in the skillet on the skin side to brown it and to render the fat from the skin, about 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook on the bone side for about 5 minutes. Remove and reserve the chicken.

Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of the fat from the pan. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and prosciutto or ham and sauté until the onion is browned and the vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the wine and chicken stock to the pan and stir to combine with vegetables. Put the chicken back into the pan. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover the skillet with a lid, and simmer the chicken in the sauce until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the pan, turn the heat to high and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the volume of liquid by half, about 5 minutes (or 6 to 7 minutes if you want a thicker sauce). Add the cream, stir to combine, and remove the pan from the heat. Transfer the chicken to wide soup plates; taste and season the sauce with salt and pepper if necessary and spoon it over the chicken. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.

nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 510; Fat (g): 29; Fat Calories (kcal): 260; Saturated Fat (g): 11; Protein (g): 51; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 10; Carbohydrates (g): 5; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 5; Sodium (mg): 1310; Cholesterol (mg): 165; Fiber (g): 1;

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-16-2012 at 05:36 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
I've planned my French lunch for tomorrow...it's all packed and ready to go to work with me in the morning:

2 oz Brie with fresh blackberries, a crusty French roll and an ounce of dry salami. I'm also bringing some light sour cream (I'm subbing it for the creme fraiche that I'd like to have but don't,) and a hefty dollop of raspberry preserves to swirl into it for a mid-morning snack. And I tossed in two Dove dark chocolates for some time after lunch.

Yay for a French party!!

Last edited by Mommie22boys; 02-16-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow you guys are going to eat well tomorrow!! Enjoy!

I might sneak a lil sumthin' in on my DD too

Where's Pat (So Happy)? I remember her talking about the French cafe/coffee shop in her area.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
managed a croissant, coffee, french fries and a quiche lorraine - but not doing that well on being french!! C'est la vie!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie22boys View Post
I've planned my French lunch for tomorrow...it's all packed and ready to go to work with me in the morning:

2 oz Brie with fresh blackberries, a crusty French roll and an ounce of dry salami. I'm also bringing some light sour cream (I'm subbing it for the creme fraiche that I'd like to have but don't,) and a hefty dollop of raspberry preserves to swirl into it for a mid-morning snack. And I tossed in two Dove dark chocolates for some time after lunch.

Yay for a French party!!
YUM! Wish we could all meet and have a themed supper together. Wouldn't that be fun? And talk about, what else????? FOOD!
Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #81

Made it to Trader Joe's after work last night and picked up a baguette, truffle pate, apples, pears, and double creme brie. I'll be having Chardonnay as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Ooh La La!

It is French day. It is a dinner out night, so we are going French! I pre-planned my menu and here it is.

I am going to save all my calories for tonight. Here is my yummy menu.

Terrine of foie gras with grilled brioche peach compote and wild arugula

Soupe a l’Oignon Gratinée

Braised Coq au vin of jidori chicken with jerusalem artichoke-potato puree and sauteed rapini

Chocolate Ganache & Nutella Crêpes

Saint Emilion Bordeaux wine

I am so excited!

c'est magnifique!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
I also have missed SoHappy.
My two medium days (not planned) Grrr, in roll is not good I'm sure.
I'm trying to make this an up day. I'm so content at 1,000 cal. And I no I'm losing one thing. My cloths know. Im not a gret cook so my 1,800 cal days r hard for me to get that high. I no if I had Pami's apple fridder they would work out fine.
I need to go out every other day to eat.
I'm still trying.
B. dark French coffee again, oatmeal, banana.
L. Salad. .
d. Fish
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #84

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eieio View Post
my 1,800 cal days r hard for me to get that high. I no if I had Pami's apple fridder they would work out fine.
That apple fritter comes from the cafeteria at school- a community college.
I don't know what I'll do to bump up the calories if/when I graduate
Sure is convenient getting over 600 calories for under $2
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
Today is a DD, had a faux crepe as my late lunch in honor of the french party.
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I want to find some of that fig butter someone kept talking about.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I want to find some of that fig butter someone kept talking about.
Trader Joe's brand. It's the first time I tried it and it was great. I did sliced pears and apples, put a little brie on them, then a smidge of fig butter.