Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Throwing away the instant mashed potatoes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/757913-throwing-away-instant-mashed-potatoes.html)

Luna Loca 02-14-2012 12:47 PM

Throwing away the instant mashed potatoes

Because they taste like cardboard!

I used to love this stuff.

Now they just don't live up to the standards of an up day. :annoyed:

Just thought I'd share.

mll5872 02-14-2012 01:38 PM

You are too funny! You're right though. . . they do taste like cardboard. They are better in instant potato soup.

b_lou_who 02-14-2012 01:49 PM

lol and amen

northernlady 02-14-2012 06:08 PM

LOL

I use them as a binder.

MintQ8 02-15-2012 12:58 AM

Once served them to DH on top of a shepherd's pie - I was marked (only time he's ever marked food!!) and I am surprised I managed to get a 4/10 - the mince must have been good!!! LOL!!

gotsomeold 02-15-2012 04:02 AM

"...just don't Live up to the standards of an Up Day"! Oh, great, key point! I had not thought of it that way, but - wow - I agree. Whatever it is, if I can actually eat it, it is going to be the best it can be. :jumpjoy:

DD80 02-15-2012 08:48 AM

Ugh. I don't eat them. I ate Ms. Crocker's Au Gratin's one time and realized that Ms. Crocker, while a great baker, but doesn't know the first thing about potatoes... Mashed potatoes may be the easiest, cheapest, thing you can make. Even if cheaper (which, I think you could argue that point), the taste of the real thing beats the fake stuff by 100%.

sophiethecat 02-16-2012 08:02 AM

I know what you mean - nothing beats the real thing. :) Does anyone else notice a slight chlorine flavor when eating instant mashed potatoes?

I do keep a box of instant potato flakes in the freezer for times when I need them as a binder or to thicken homemade potato soup, and just today 2 T. of them were called for in a French herb bread recipe.

Bonnie 02-16-2012 09:26 AM

My dh likes them but I don't make them as the directions say to. I haven't eaten them in ages though since I don't eat white potatoes, real or fake.

synger 02-16-2012 09:33 AM

instant mashed potatoes are nothing more than an excuse to eat butter and cheese and cream cheese.

So I just get a slice of cheese and spread it with butter instead. YUM!

KathyL 02-16-2012 03:36 PM

I keep them on hand for two things......thickening soups and for homemade bread simply because they're so easy to use and I usually can't get real mashed potatoes smooth enough that lumps of potato don't turn up in the dough (not really a bad thing I guess). LOL

DD80 02-16-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathyL (Post 15422886)
I keep them on hand for two things......thickening soups and for homemade bread simply because they're so easy to use and I usually can't get real mashed potatoes smooth enough that lumps of potato don't turn up in the dough (not really a bad thing I guess). LOL

If you want smooth mashed potatoes, add some milk or cream and use a hand beater to whip them. This works really well with russets since they are so starchy.

Now throw away the instants! ;);)

gotsomeold 02-17-2012 11:16 AM

I :heart: lumpy, rich, buttery mashed potatoes!!