Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/155/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Calculating Question

Hello Everyone, I am Suze and I have been in and out of this forum for about a year. Usually I lurk but now I am going to give this a serious try. I am finding it difficult to use the usual calculator and I want to know what you think of my plan please:

DD: 650x3 days 1950 calories (or) 555x3x3days 1665 (35% per book)
UD: 1500x4 days 6000 calories 1586x4 days 6344

Total: 7950 calories averaged 7 days equals 1135/day. Total: 8009 calories equals 1144/day.

Either way this is about what I need to lose at 5'2", 165lbs. I'm not overly active I admit, walk 2-3 times/week and Pilates 2xweek.
There used to be another gal on the forum who wanted to be at about this number of calories but just can't remember her name. She was very successful at JUDD and was really an inspiration. Thanks for helping me out here.

Last edited by SuzeQ; 02-14-2012 at 10:30 AM..
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I don't think in terms of DD/UD calories averaged together. I just take each day by it's DD or UD allotment and keep an eye on the delta between them. I'm not sure if I understand.

Are you saying you plan to eat 650 calories on three DDs/week, and 1500 calories on four UDs/week? Or 555/DD and 1586/UD? Both of those have deltas pretty close to maintenance levels.

The lower the DD calories, the greater the stress response and the more sirtuin enzymes released in your body. Those enzymes are the reason averaged calories don't mean much. Many of us had to start at a higher caloric level but gradually came down to, and lose well on, about 500/DD.

I took the info you provided, added some guesses, and, on Dr J's website, it looks like your calculation is for higher UDs - in the 1700 range.

Don't take your UD calories down too low or you won't pull yourself out of the stress response you start on DD and this becomes just another low-cal diet that leads to starvation mode...and a very real possibility of stalling.

I suggest you start with the higher UD. Then adjust that if you wish once you are acclimated to the rotation.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-14-2012 at 12:32 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for responding. Little or no exercise, 35%, comes out to be 555 DD, 1586 UD. I f I took it down to even 25% I would be at 397/day, which is not going to work for me at all, so I have to up it a bit to 30/35%. You do need to average 7 days to see where you actually are for intake. If you average and it comes out way above a reasonable losing level then what good is it to do JUDD at all? Body builders do this often if they are going lean. If I averaged 1900 a day for 7 days I would be gaining weight. Fact. Every person's intake requirement is different of course. This comes out to 1144/day average, which will work for me. Some days a bit more of course, but you really have to average to keep within your targeted calories for each day. Wish I could remember the name of the gal who used to be on the forum. She had to stay at about 1000/day avg. to lose on JUDD.

Last edited by SuzeQ; 02-14-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I don't average either, just trust in the magic, and it's working beautifully.

However, if you're doing a straight UD/DD rotation, you would need to average over 2 weeks. One week you'll have 4 UDs and 3 DDs and the next week you'll have 3 UDs and 4 DDs.

HTH!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Suze: Just curious: Have you read Doctor J's book? It's definitely worth reading. Not so much for the "how-to" because you can get all of that here. But it's great for the "why--it--works", his thinking, and the studies he based his plan upon.

I agree with Nancy. When I started experimenting with JUDD in December (ha. I think it might be an experiment at first for most of us as we learn how it will work for our own bodies) I found the DDs easy. But the UDs were hard for me because I wanted to eat over my calorie limit. Surprisingly, though, I lost and hit a new low on the scale within the first week. I think it was after my second DD. Shocked me! Especially with how much I had consumed on the UDs!!

I experienced big daily bounces but averaging it out, I lost 4 pounds in the first 4 weeks. And, I didn't do it perfectly because life interfered, it was the holidays when I started and some DDs turned into UDs and some UDs turned into Up, Up and Away Days!

What Nancy mentioned Dr. J talks about in depth on his website and more so in the book. The SIRT1 gene, when activated through calorie restriction on the DD, begins to produce a protein in the body that long term will prohibit the body from storing extra calories as fat. Normally, any calories we don't use for energy are stored in fat cells. And from Dukan's book I learned that when a fat cell reaches capacity and can no longer get any bigger, it splits into two "daughter" fat cells and they begin to grow!

The protein stimulated by SIRT1 prevents all of that and calories not used as energy pass out of the body, primarily through the kidneys as you drink lots of water.

This protein builds as you do the alternate DDs. If you have been following the rotation for several weeks or even better, several months, you can go off plan for as many as 7 days and SIRT1 will still be stimulating the fat blocking protein. You may hold onto some water, but as soon as you have a DD or 2, your tissues will release the fluid quickly and your scale will show a quick drop.

I vacationed in Florida for a week in January, really ate a lot and didn't stick to the rotation. Still, I only gained 1.8 and after one DD it was gone. Last week I had to travel to attend a funeral on the other side of the country. Then went to a mini-family reunion and was gone a total of eleven days. I totally fell off the wagon food wise. Gained 5 pounds. Yesterday was my first DD after all that. Stepped on the scale this morning and I'm down -3 pounds.

Can't believe it! When I was just doing LC if that happened I would probably be up 8 pounds and having an impossible time getting back on the wagon!

Hope this all makes some sense! I didn't really "get" it until I read the book. Just wanted to encourage you to do so if you haven't.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Suze: Just curious: Have you read Doctor J's book? It's definitely worth reading. Not so much for the "how-to" because you can get all of that here. But it's great for the "why--it--works", his thinking, and the studies he based his plan upon.

I agree with Nancy. When I started experimenting with JUDD in December (ha. I think it might be an experiment at first for most of us as we learn how it will work for our own bodies) I found the DDs easy. But the UDs were hard for me because I wanted to eat over my calorie limit. Surprisingly, though, I lost and hit a new low on the scale within the first week. I think it was after my second DD. Shocked me! Especially with how much I had consumed on the UDs!!

I experienced big daily bounces but averaging it out, I lost 4 pounds in the first 4 weeks. And, I didn't do it perfectly because life interfered, it was the holidays when I started and some DDs turned into UDs and some UDs turned into Up, Up and Away Days!

What Nancy mentioned Dr. J talks about in depth on his website and more so in the book. The SIRT1 gene, when activated through calorie restriction on the DD, begins to produce a protein in the body that long term will prohibit the body from storing extra calories as fat. Normally, any calories we don't use for energy are stored in fat cells. And from Dukan's book I learned that when a fat cell reaches capacity and can no longer get any bigger, it splits into two "daughter" fat cells and they begin to grow!

The protein stimulated by SIRT1 prevents all of that and calories not used as energy pass out of the body, primarily through the kidneys as you drink lots of water.

This protein builds as you do the alternate DDs. If you have been following the rotation for several weeks or even better, several months, you can go off plan for as many as 7 days and SIRT1 will still be stimulating the fat blocking protein. You may hold onto some water, but as soon as you have a DD or 2, your tissues will release the fluid quickly and your scale will show a quick drop.

I vacationed in Florida for a week in January, really ate a lot and didn't stick to the rotation. Still, I only gained 1.8 and after one DD it was gone. Last week I had to travel to attend a funeral on the other side of the country. Then went to a mini-family reunion and was gone a total of eleven days. I totally fell off the wagon food wise. Gained 5 pounds. Yesterday was my first DD after all that. Stepped on the scale this morning and I'm down -3 pounds.

Can't believe it! When I was just doing LC if that happened I would probably be up 8 pounds and having an impossible time getting back on the wagon!

Hope this all makes some sense! I didn't really "get" it until I read the book. Just wanted to encourage you to do so if you haven't.

Thanks for that great explanation!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone, and yes have read the book. Also, my "mentor" is Leo41, who sent me a PM. Her success is what motivated me, plus she is close to my age. You average weekly if you are seriously handicapped in terms of metabolism. I will use the 30% calculation initially and then go up to 35%. Can't keep up with you young ones!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hey Suze! You look so young! I'm 57.5 and gonna turn 58 in June. You can't be much older than me!!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
I would have thought your cals should be 500 DD and 1700 UD - guestimating your age and based on your current stats. I appreciate that Leo is your mentor - but there are some serious metabolic issues there - do you know whether you have the same issues?

I would start the 2 week induction at 500 DD and maybe 1650 UD - see how you go.

But only you know your body - so it will be up to you to decide - good luck!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fleur
WOE: one toe into starting JUDD
Start Date: 1/18/2012
Still a newbie here myself, but have to say that from what I've learned so far, you might want to think about doing the rotation in an every other day UD/DD fashion, especially when starting out, rather than 3 DDs and 4UDs per week. It is supposed to be that every other day interchange that keeps the gene stimulated, and metabolism burning strongly, as others have mentioned. Calorie averaging really isn't what that is about. I know that Leo does 3 days of DD and 4 days of UD rotation, but she is at the point of maintaining at this stage.

Best of luck to you with JUDDD!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I am doing a rotation every other day. I am having 555 cals today, and an UD tomorrow etc. Thanks for the age comment BTW! I will be 73 in August and this pic was taken last year.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
Looking good - I calculated you at 55!!!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote