Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cellomum
Stats: 252/241.6/150
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 2012
Nursing while on JUDDD

I was wondering if anyone is able to share their experiences nursing a young toddler while doing JUDDD? I am nursing my 15 month old as much as she wants which is usually 5-10 times a day but she does eat a fair amount of table food too at this point. I have only had 3 DD so far, and have eaten 500 calories each time but noticed I was getting pretty shaky by the end of my DD yesterday. I am certainly drinking loads of water but was wondering if I should be eating a few more calories or if it is not necessary since she is older and I have a proven established supply.
Thank you!
cellomum is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
WWC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
Bumping this for you, Cello!
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
WWC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
I'm avoiding to housework so I did a search for you. Here's a couple of old threads.

Having Trouble with UD Calories

attempting this with breastfeeding here I go!
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LeahGraceG
Stats: 150 (postpartum)/119.6/110 (someday after baby)
Start Date: Nov 2011
Hi! I'm currently breastfeeding 2 kids -- an older toddler and a 5-month-old. I keep my DD calories to 1200 (though sometimes I go over), on the assumption that I am burning at least 500 cals more a day than average -- probably more. I find that this keeps the shakiness at bay. Breastfeeding is HARD WORK -- it requires more calories to feed a person via your body than to grow one (which I find fascinating). Don't underestimate your calorie burn when breastfeeding. That's been my experience, anyway. Best of luck to you!
LeahGraceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for finding those threads for me WWC Very helpful! I couldn't seem to get the search function to work properly...

Leah, thank you for sharing your experience. I remember the tandem nursing days well (didn't happen with this baby as my middle girl self weaned during my pregnancy) and my goodness I was hungry all the time! It is wonderful that you're able to eat 1200 on your dd. That must not feel like a lot with a 5 month old to feed as well as a toddler!

Tomorrow I think I'll aim to eat 600 filling nutritious calories but be ready to add 100-200 more at least (even more if it seems to be needed to feel healthy) if needed. I don't think the protein shakes are going to do it for me. Maybe one for breakfast as a vitamin/mineral boost, but real food after that as it seems to fill me much better. Although I have a good supply (have been nursing for slightly more than five years with only a two month hiatus between my mdd weaning and my ydd being born) I don't want to run myself down or cause a dip that might make my ydd wean before she would be truly ready (I'm happy to nurse for a LOT longer yet if she wants).

Thank you so much for the help!

Last edited by cellomum; 02-14-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I don't have any more advice about nursing while doing JUDDD, but I just want to commend you for making the effort to nurse your babies longer than most folks. I know that not everybody can do it, but it's a wonderful thing if you can. Between my two girls, I nursed a total of five years. I used to joke that I might have to go to first grade with them, but we forged a wonderful, close bond, and I wouldn't change a thing.
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Laurie, you made my morning I was actually a little nervous to ask the question given the age of my daughter (who still feels like a young nurser to me given the age my eldest self weaned at) and some peoples' feelings about extended nursing.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ghislaine
Stats: 197.5/184/128-138
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellomum View Post
Laurie, you made my morning I was actually a little nervous to ask the question given the age of my daughter (who still feels like a young nurser to me given the age my eldest self weaned at) and some peoples' feelings about extended nursing.
I'm nursing my daughter at the keyboard. She turns 3 in one week!
Thanks for asking this question! If I decide to do JUDDD I'll know I may need to play with numbers even though it's hardly a large source of her nutrition! Except when she's sick! I'm so grateful to be nursing the few occasions when she's sick!
Ghislaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'll step up and confess that my older nursling is 4! We have a great relationship, and although he is moving toward self-weaning I won't be forcing the issue. I think nursing offers great health and emotional benefits all around. Only support here!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: norwegianwife
Stats: 195/169/160
Another 'extended' nurser here. My daughter self weaned at around 2 though! I wish she would have gone longer! I really loved the experience with her. Every now and then she will come and latch on for 2 seconds and then yell 'FINISHED!!'. She's 2.5 now!
norwegianwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Yay for all nursing mommies!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alibaba
Stats: 240(pregnant)/176/165
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 5/12/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
Yay for all nursing mommies!
ITA!!!

Both my kids self-weaned right at the 1 year mark. Makes me sad that they didn't last longer. Good for everyone who has been able to keep it up!!!
alibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm jealous! DD never took to nursing. I think it's because I had her C-section and she had low blood sugar when she was born, so they gave her a bottle when I was in recovery, before I even got a chance to hold her. MIL fed her before I did.

I tried everything, including nursing coaches, and she just fought me the whole time. I pumped for a few months so she could get the benefit of breast milk, but I'm so sad I missed out on that experience.

I applaud all nursing mothers.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Don't feel too badly. My DD27 had a c-section, and my granddaughter didn't take to nursing very well. She really tried, too. DD ended up pumping milk and giving it in bottles for the first year before moving on to formula. At 21 months, the baby drinks a little formula still because cow's milk just does not agree with her. She keeps having problems with constipation.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Dawn, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but please don't beat yourself up about it. I was never able to pump more than 1/2 oz at a time, so I have the utmost respect for you mamas who were dedicated enough to pump for your little ones to give them your milk for as long as you were able to.

I weaned my first 3 at a year, because at the time, that's what you were "supposed" to do. But my 4th I was older and wiser, and she weaned at 3 yrs 5 mos. She had many issues with food allergies, so my diet was restricted as well while we were nursing, but I felt good that I could provide her with such complete nutrition when there were so many things she couldn't eat.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

It is wonderful to "meet" other extended nursing mothers and pumping moms (and of course all other forms of feeding moms too)!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm jealous! DD never took to nursing. I think it's because I had her C-section and she had low blood sugar when she was born, so they gave her a bottle when I was in recovery, before I even got a chance to hold her. MIL fed her before I did.

I tried everything, including nursing coaches, and she just fought me the whole time. I pumped for a few months so she could get the benefit of breast milk, but I'm so sad I missed out on that experience.

I applaud all nursing mothers.
You are not alone. My DD was taken C-section, and had some medical issues (imperforate anus and jaundice) so was in the NICU for a few days. We tried and tried to give her the breast... she just couldn't latch on. I pumped for about a month, but my husband finally (gently) suggested I'd done my best when he found me in tears over the pump for the third time in as many days.

I am so pleased that there are so many extended nursers here. It's a real accomplishment. Take it from someone who bemoans the fact that she couldn't do it.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I do feel blessed to be able to extended breastfeed -- and humbled by the struggles some have faced and talked about here. Thank you for sharing.

I struggled mightily to get my son on nursing only, as they supplemented him in his first days at the hospital and his low weight was a scary issue for me. It took months of determined effort, as pumping just doesn't work for me. My second has been a breeze to nurse so far (fingers crossed). It really is a joy and a privilege -- and, I realize, kind of a luxury to be able to spend so much quality time with my kids!
33 yrs old
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
I was 33 years old when my daughter was born.
I nursed her for 15 ish months.
On her doctors check up is when I found out that
I could stop b. feeding her.
I was like really?!?!
So dd and i talked about it. Dd was ready, seemed her third day free of
Me being her mobile dairy queen was the roughs for her. In turn for me too.
As all along she kept thriving. Of course she did.
I was so relieved that I felt like I could fly,and wanted too.....but
I did nursing something that was natural, not magic.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote