Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January Ė March ate LC/LC
For those of you who are losing well on JUDD

If you know, are your average calories now similar to, or the same as what you consumed before starting JUDD?

Iíve been considering JUDD for awhile. If I do, Iíll be waiting until after my next blood work, which is only a couple weeks away. Iíd like to see what changes Iíve made just with eating better for the past couple months, and then what happens to my bloodwork after doing JUDD if I go that way.

My JUDD numbers, according to Dr. J, would be: 2500 UD and 500 DD. That equals 3,000 for the two days, averaging 1500 calories. I have over 100 to lose.

I have been carefully, meticulously tracking my food intake for 6 weeks to see what I could learn. I use a digital scale with everything, and ******. I am averaging 1500 calories a day and although I started off the first couple weeks losing well, loss is now at maybe a pound a week. Iím concerned that it will slow even more. Did I mention I have a lot to lose?

Do you think I could expect a bit more weight loss in a week simply by JUDDing given my average calories would be the same? It seems like you are all doing miraculously, but in reality have your average calories dropped dramatically from what you were eating before starting JUDD?

IF it matters what I eat, I am reformed from my former fast and junk-food addictions! (: Now, I eat poached skinless chicken, salmon or shellfish, eggs, lean beef. Also fresh veggies and apples, almonds, occasionally oatmeal and sometimes have a slice of wheat bread. I actually eat very little processed food anymore, sometimes a serving of Wheat Thins, some rice vinegar, or dash of soy sauce and very little dairy -- a one-ounce squeeze packet of cream cheese. If I cook my veggies, I use olive oil. I gave up diet pop, which seems to have ended all my cravings for sweets (a miracle), and drink plain water and one mug of tea a day.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and insight. Iím frustrated with what seems to be snailís pace weight loss. Am I expecting too much?
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi NW,

I am getting ready to rush out the door so I can't give this full attention til later, but here are my average calorie numbers to give you an idea.

Calories on vLC: 1000 - 1500 (low calories due to appetite suppression in ketosis. Experienced slow loss IMO and by the end of LC it was taking me 3 - 4 weeks to lose 1#)

Calories on JUDDD UDs during WL: 1700 - 1800
Calories on JUDDD DDs during WL: 500 - 700

Calories on JUDDD FDs during maintenance: 1800 - 2200
Calories on JUDDD DDs during maintenance: 500 - 850

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-13-2012 at 02:52 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi-
Everyone loses differently. I lost close to 200 lbs, the first 80 simply eating low carb, but when I needed to seriously restrict calories, I lost the rest with JUDDD.

Throughout my weight loss, I've rarely lost more than a pound a week, but I'm post-menopausal and hypothyroid and happy to even lose that much. So it took me 2 years to lost 100 lbs on JUDDD, but a younger, healthier person would probably lose in half that time--again, it depends on the individual.

Calorie cycling is supposed to help promote weight loss, as opposed to eating your JUDDD average every day, but that also may depend on the person.

If I could have lost on 1500 cal a day, I would not have done JUDDD. To lose, I must eat <1000 cal a day. I also eat very Primal--mainly fish, meat, eggs, veggies--and almost no processed foods.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
I may be eating less calories from some days prior to JUDDD but more than from others - but just before I began JUDDD I had over 3 months of leaving parties (2 or 3 a week!)

I do, however, think that there is a difference between eating 1500 cals per day and cycling your calories as per JUDDD. If you read the book it explains the science behind it - I can't recall it - and I don't have it with me - but it is fascinating reading.

Congratulations on changing your eating - it's not easy!
MintQ8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Calorie cycling is the magic. I just wrote one of my scattered explanations Some general questions about JUDDD. Take a look and see if that makes sense.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-13-2012 at 04:24 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Calorie cycling is the magic. I just wrote one of my scattered explanations Some general questions about JUDDD. Take a look and see if that makes sense.
I WANT to believe....I really want to believe...
Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The science behind it is very sound. Like all diets, it does depend on your metabolism. Some diabetics find DDs drop their blood sugar too low. Other diabetics thrive on JUDDD - they find they can eat some starchy carbs without experiencing dangerous spikes. Some people with eating disorders find JUDDD too unrestricted. Other people with ED are able to keep to the appropriate calories and, again, thrive. Some people have to fiddle with their calories (some have to reduce calories, others have to increase).

Like all new WOEs, JUDDD is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about how your unique body works. The cool part is, most wonderful unique bodies do lose weight and do experience signs of improved health.

Generally it takes two to four weeks for the sirtuin enzymes to really build up in your system. But weight loss usually starts within a few days. Read the threads, read the DD recipes. Plan what you would eat if you were JUDDDing. Consider giving JUDDD a try. I encourage you to try for a month, but even two weeks can be enough to give you a hint. The only way to believe in JUDDD is by living it. And, oh, that belief is so calming and so freeing.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-13-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Old 02-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And, of course, if you need time to think, to plan, to decide....keep reading the threads, keep asking questions. JUDDD BUDDDs love to discuss this WOE.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
For me, I was nearly at maintenance when I started JUDDD, so I don't have much to offer as far as how I lost pre and post JUDDD.

But I've seen over and over people come here who had slowed to a snail's pace on LC, and then JUDDD kicked them into gear with weight loss again. I can understand wanting to get a picture of how your previous changes affected your bloodwork before starting something new.

We'll be here when you are ready to jump in. Good for you getting the junk addiction under control! That is a HUGE battle. Paleo helped me conquer that beast too.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oops, I forgot that. Complete agreement: get the blood test. Thanks Tina!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post

Generally it takes two to four weeks for the sirtuin enzymes to really build up in your system. But weight loss usually starts within a few days. Read the threads, read the DD recipes. Plan what you would eat if you were JUDDDing. Consider giving JUDDD a try. I encourage you to try for a month, but even two weeks can be enough to give you a hint. The only way to believe in JUDDD is by living it. And, oh, that belief is so calming and so freeing.
I agree with this!!! I have found that the stress from worrying about why I was plateauing is gone!!! This reason alone is enough to keep me working this program. Thank you for your expertise!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: deb81
Stats: 179/170/150
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Restart 2-9-12
To be honest, I am a lurker and don't really post much, but i felt the same way u did. Started Juddd, lost a few pounds, Christmas came and i could not get back on any type of dieting.

I decided to join WW and count calories on ************. I was losing maybe a pound per week, which was not what I wanted.

Decided to give Juddd another try and have lost 4 lbs in 5 days.

This is my new way of life and I will never go back again. This really works.

The only other thing I do is exercise 1 hr per day. I really think that this helps tremendously.

Good luck
deb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

back Deb!!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I eat an average of fewer calories overall. But I can continue eating at that level without burning out (so far).

My metabolism is so far out of whack that for me to lose by strictly low-calorie I'd have to eat at 1200-1400 calories a day. At my current weight, I will lost consistently, and I can do it... for about four months. I've done it. I can look back at MyPlate, and ****** and see the 3-4 month windows over and over where I can lose a good 30 pounds restricting calories. Then the constant hunger, irritation, deprivation, and obsession with food gets to me, I throw up my hands, and I begin eating everything that's not nailed down.

With JUDD I get flashes of the throw-up-my-hands days on DDs once in a while, but by and large DDs don't bother me... because TOMORROW I can eat until I'm actually satisfied! And that's the difference for me. Being satisfied four days out of the week completely makes up for being deprived three days. Which means I can continue this WOE much longer than I have been able to do other WOEs. And the average of my calorie intake is about the same as it was when I was doing low-cal every day. So I'm losing slowly but consistently (within my normal monthly two-week-losing, two-week-holding pattern).
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I eat an average of fewer calories overall. But I can continue eating at that level without burning out (so far).

My metabolism is so far out of whack that for me to lose by strictly low-calorie I'd have to eat at 1200-1400 calories a day. At my current weight, I will lost consistently, and I can do it... for about four months. I've done it. I can look back at MyPlate, and ****** and see the 3-4 month windows over and over where I can lose a good 30 pounds restricting calories. Then the constant hunger, irritation, deprivation, and obsession with food gets to me, I throw up my hands, and I begin eating everything that's not nailed down.

With JUDD I get flashes of the throw-up-my-hands days on DDs once in a while, but by and large DDs don't bother me... because TOMORROW I can eat until I'm actually satisfied! And that's the difference for me. Being satisfied four days out of the week completely makes up for being deprived three days. Which means I can continue this WOE much longer than I have been able to do other WOEs. And the average of my calorie intake is about the same as it was when I was doing low-cal every day. So I'm losing slowly but consistently (within my normal monthly two-week-losing, two-week-holding pattern).
Synger, this is exactly why I have never been able to keep up a steady level calorie-restricted diet for good. I can keep it up for months at a time, but for me every single time I actually stopped losing after even just a month or so of it (and now that I know my body more, I think it's because my metabolism had just slowed to a crawl and wasn't gonna let me lose anymore), and the remaining months that I just kept on going hoping for another pound of loss was always spent feeling angry and depressed and bitter, and oh yeah, starving.

On JUDDD, like you said, the deprivation of DDs is well balanced by the satisfaction of normal eating UDs. Also, the longer I've been on JUDDD, I actually look forward to DDs a lot of the times. This is something I can keep doing pretty much indefinitely, while regular calorie restriction just won't work permanently for me, either in results or in my satisfaction level. I don't know the science behind all this though, only what I've experienced.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Since menopause, I can't do regular day-to-day low-cal. I get carb cravings that spin me out of control. I did low carb for about three months, but over two of those were stalled.

At first, on JUDDD, I had to stick to low carb. But after about four weeks I found the carb cravings were gone. So, while I still eat mostly low carb type foods on DD, I eat lots of veggies. And on UD I eat whatever. Love it!

Checking back over my notes, I am eating more calories (averaged over a week) than I did on low carb. And, of course, losing.

I JUDDD.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
...but for me every single time I actually stopped losing after even just a month or so of it ...and the remaining months that I just kept on going hoping for another pound of loss was always spent feeling angry and depressed and bitter....
This hits the nail on the head. Five years ago I lost 65 pounds doing LC in about six months. I then spent the next eleven months losing nothing yet still obese. I weighed everything I ate, I was even awarded as the client who never missed a workout at my gym. I pleaded with my doctor to tell me what to do. At the time I was eating 750-1000 calories a day. Her advice was simple, to eat less. Really? How low should I go -- I already was experiencing massive hair loss. I felt helpless, and ended up so bitter that I finally just gave up.

I do not want to go there again. That's why when I see the same pattern of starting off losing well, followed by losses dwindling to what seems like nothing, it is like a nightmare.

If JUDD were to work for me, it would seem like a miracle!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm losing well, but I honestly have no idea what my calories looked like before. I was doing low carb, but higher fat, so I suspect my calories were fairly high.

I really hope you find the sweet spot with JUDDD!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote