Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: northernlady
Some general questions about JUDDD

Hi all. I'm still wrapping my head around this WOE. Some of the principles make sense -- others do not.

Then there are the ever interesting acronyms. sst: you really don't want to know what I imagine they might be!

EFGT ?

VDHL?

ok.

Is there a formula for fat-carbs-protein ratio that should be adhered to?

The difference in calories between UD and DD should be great. That I understand, but I am having trouble getting to the UD calorie (2200) that the JUDDD website calculator tells me. The DD is 333 (really REALLY low!) Am I understanding this correctly?

Desserts? Ice cream to get to calorie UD? Really???

LC - is it necessary to eat LC for JUDDD?

thanks everyone.

I'll keep reading and learning.
northernlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
EFGT = Eat Fat Get Thin - another way of eating - I don't know anything about it - sorry!

Haven't read VDHL - so can't help there - sorry.

There is no formula as given by JUDDD - but some people follow certain ratios - it's their choice.

With regards to your UD and DD numbers. I have 2118 UD and my 20% of DD cals is 424. 20% of 2200 is 440 - so not sure where the 333 comes from?

The suggestion is that for DD 500 cals is low enough - a lot of us go lower (there is no lower limit) - however when some have started they have set their limit at 700 or even 800, and then lowered their numbers when they're comfortable.

However, I regularly eat 350 cals or less on a DD (but also don't worry if I eat 500 - and on occasion, when there's been something happening -I've eaten up to 7 or 800 - this is still in Weight Loss Mode (WLM).

As for desserts and ice cream to reach your numbers - yes if you want! Again, I wouldn't recommend it all the time - as it's better to eat whole food - but if you need it, want it - have the cals left - go ahead!

As for Low carb - it is not necessary on JUDDD - but a lot of people combine the two. I don't and have had great success - others have to. The only thing I'll say is that if you do re-introduce carbs after a long time of being low carb - the initial reaction may be to gain some water weight - before true weight loss starts.

good luck with your journey!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlady View Post
Hi all. I'm still wrapping my head around this WOE. Some of the principles make sense -- others do not.

Then there are the ever interesting acronyms. sst: you really don't want to know what I imagine they might be!

EFGT ?

VDHL?

ok.

Is there a formula for fat-carbs-protein ratio that should be adhered to?

The difference in calories between UD and DD should be great. That I understand, but I am having trouble getting to the UD calorie (2200) that the JUDDD website calculator tells me. The DD is 333 (really REALLY low!) Am I understanding this correctly?

Desserts? Ice cream to get to calorie UD? Really???

LC - is it necessary to eat LC for JUDDD?

thanks everyone.

I'll keep reading and learning.
Hi, I will take a stab at this.

I think some of those acronyms are non-JUDDD.

EFGT - Eat Fat Get Thin?
VDHL - no idea at the moment

No ratio of nutrients except if you want to adhere to one.

Your DD calories seem so low. Why not try 500 and see how it goes? Then work your way down to the lower if you want to/need to.

If you're not sure about the UD calories, hopefully someone will come along and advise on if they are too high. It usually requires knowing your height, weight, age, activity level.

Yes, desserts and ice cream is fine to reach your UD limit. How you reach your UD limit is up to you. But sweets and treats are quite calorie dense, so you must watch portions. It's disheartening how few pieces of candy add up to so many calories, lol. So what many do is try to allow a treat or two on UD and spend the rest of the calories in a more healthful way.

Very important to plan your calories out on both UD and DD, and to track those calories. It will keep you on plan and you will soon get an idea of best foods to fill you up while allowing for treats.

Forgot to add that you don't have to do LC on JUDDD. It's up to you where the calories come from. Some do LC for health reasons, because they enjoy the foods, or because it's filling and satisfying.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-13-2012 at 03:20 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the replies.

Hmm... I went to the calculator again today - seems I didn't recalculate when I adjusted for activity level.

2221 444

So I should really try to eat to 2221? I think I made it to almost 2000 on Sunday (UP) but only because I snacked after dinner (not my usual habit) otherwise I was satisfied at 1700. <--- never thought I say that!

I'm finding that I'm staying away from sugar, well, comparably - since I have a devil of a sweet tooth.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Dr. J states in the book that you are not to force yourself to reach the UD number.
My numbers are 350 and 1750. He stresses that the difference in the two numbers is very important. I am relatively new but bought the book since I like to know everything about what I am doing and why. I did induction at 500 calories then went down to 350.

I have no problems reaching 1750 and would have no problems eating higher. i still have to wonder how anyone can't reach their UD numbers. Everything I like must be high calorie.

But I am loving this plan and I find 350 calorie DD's to be very yeasy. Much easier than not going over 1750 on UD's.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
A lot of us don't recalculate for our activity level - we leave it at sedentary/little or no exercise etc - that may help with your UD cals?

If we knew your stats we could help you with this. I think 2000 on a UD when your Maintenance Cals are 2200 is probably not the end of the world - but you should be careful of letting it creep lower as the swing is relatively important.

Personally, I am trying to leave my UD cals at 2200 (my start was 2300) unless the weight loss slows.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
On DD, by eating very low cal (or fasting) we turn on a stress response that prepares our bodies for starvation mode (show of hands, please, how many of us have NOT stalled during starvation mode on a pure low-cal diet). Wonderful fat-devouring sirtuin enzymes are released into our bloodstreams causing health improvements and weight loss. By eating much more the day after DD, our bodies turn off the stress response so we do not go into starvation mode.

If UD calories are too low, the stress response does not turn off. You slip into starvation mode, lose weight for awhile, probably feel weak and yucky, and eventually stall.

You can certainly start with 1700 calories. But, to ensure the stress response turns off every other day I encourage you to try to add 100 calories every UD or two. Maybe aim for 2000? It really does get easier, eating that is. And, if you do make UD goal every UD, the magic does not stop.

(Did you ever expect to be told you probably need to eat more in order to lose weight?)
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-13-2012 at 05:01 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
VDHL?

Virginia Department of Historic Landmarks

Sorry, I got nothin'
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay Pami, you win!!!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Virginia Department of Historic Landmarks

Sorry, I got nothin'
I have been scratching my head and wondering????

All I could come up with....

Very Different Health Lightattheendofthetunnel
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #11

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Verifiable, Definitive, Healthy Loss?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Did you mean VHDL
very high density lipoprotein ?

jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations, Joedi. You win the 'Voice Of Reason' award for the day!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
On DD, by eating very low cal (or fasting) we turn on a stress response that prepares our bodies for starvation mode (show of hands, please, how many of us have NOT stalled during starvation mode on a pure low-cal diet). Wonderful fat-devouring sirtuin enzymes are released into our bloodstreams causing health improvements and weight loss. By eating much more the day after DD, our bodies turn off the stress response so we do not go into starvation mode.

If UD calories are too low, the stress response does not turn off. You slip into starvation mode, lose weight for awhile, probably feel weak and yucky, and eventually stall.

You can certainly start with 1700 calories. But, to ensure the stress response turns off every other day I encourage you to try to add 100 calories every UD or two. Maybe aim for 2000? It really does get easier, eating that is. And, if you do make UD goal every UD, the magic does not stop.

(Did you ever expect to be told you probably need to eat more in order to lose weight?)
Thank you. I like that explanation of how it works, will be easier for me to explain to other people.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Explaining JUDDD is one of the perks of doing JUDDD. My collect of puzzled, glazed looks has expanded tremendously since I began.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #16

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Congratulations, Joedi. You win the 'Voice Of Reason' award for the day!!!
I've never even been nominated for this one
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mll5872
Stats: 200/182/150 Ultimate goal; 1st goal 180 (10bls);
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Restart August 2011
I agree Nancy. When I try to explain JUDDD I get the strangest looks, like I have gone mad. But then I get to tell them that I've lost 20 lbs so far (some to LC but mostly to JUDDD). It definitely piques their interest.
mll5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Ok. So it is the difference between the two days that really matters.

Thanks all -- for the info, support and the laughs. (I've been trying to find which post had those letters in it, but when I do I'll repost. )