Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Substitute ingredients for real food

Back in 2003 I lost my weight using LF LC. Did well for several years and then I started buying into the lc "ingredients" to substitute for other ingredients. I slowly bought many of these things like polyD, carbquick, Thickenthin Not stuff, LC bake mixes, and on and on. Then I developed a foot problem and could not walk for exercise, then had foot surgery and no exercise and gained all of my weight back. Last fall I decided to clean out all of kitchen cabinets as I was running short of space. I threw away a lot of money in the form of substitute ingredients. I was kind of surprised at how much of that kind of thing was in my cabinets and was a little disappointed in myself for not only buying it but never actually using much of it since I was never happy with the finished product.

I tried several plans, went back to LC with not much results. Enter JUDDD and I am slowly losing weight while enjoying the REAL food that I was denying myself. If I want a slice of cake on an UD made with real sugar, I have it. I still use AS in my coffee and drink some diet Coke but everything I eat can be purchased in my local grocery store. Even if I never lose back down to 145, I will continue this plan just because of the freedom I feel. I have no problem doing DD's since I know I can have whatever I want (within reason) tomorrow.

I have even toyed with the idea of making 160 my goal and doing maintenance in another couple of months or so. I haven't been so uninterested in food in a long time. I am returning to eating plain and simple with beef, pork, chicken and eggs that we raise. Small garden is producing abundant fresh spinach and we will plant a small spring garden soon. All of the many things that I could not have or only in small quantities on LC. My favorite, watermelon, is on my list to plant. YUM. And my DS' favorite, sweet corn. I seem to have a renewed interested in gardening too.

I do not know how long this plan has been around, but I am so glad I stumbled across it on LC friends. It makes so much sense and although I credit LC for my 8 years ago loss, I just could not face the rest of my life eating strict LC. I have already discovered that I need to watch the fat due to calories but I do well on small quantities of fats like coconut oil for cooking eggs and olive oil on salads (which I rarely eat any longer). I really ration things like mayo and fullfat salad dressing though. Instead of tartar sauce, I use ketchup and horseradish which I have always preferred anyway.

JUDDD has been fun and I hope it continues to be so. I have gotten over my random eating whatever on UD's and have settled in with a balanced diet with good healthy foods from all of the food groups. Grains are pretty much limited to whole oat groats, oat bran and Ezekial bread due to some allergy issues though. Thanks JUDDD.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Me to. I ditched lots of lower carb flours other day. Subs like u mention.
Most r just gross. And ll were very expensive. I tried to bake with the stuff I bought. I'd rather just no have it. So yes I also got extra refrigerator room now. A whole drawer.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Wow, great post!

I'm glad this is working for you and your WOE sounds waaaay healthier now.

I love how I tend to gravitate toward fruits, whole grains and lean proteins on this diet. I figured UDs would be all about french fries, chocolate cake and bagels.

I've had each of those things since I started JUDDD two weeks ago, but only once each. Like you, I mostly eat pretty healthy. Glad you're feeling so well on this WOE!!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Loved reading this, Adi! So happy for your success and all the great things big and small you see happening on JUDDD!

I too am so glad JUDDD does not require any special "diet" foods or products to work. Unless someone likes those items or has health issues, they are free to eat anything from the grocery store or their gardens. Real sugar in baked goods. Real pizza crust. Some chips with a sandwich on sourdough bread. The occasional burger and fries. These are just some of the things I enjoy on JUDDD.

JUDDD gives us real food freedom. No forbidden foods, no required foods to get in each day, only what we choose.

The longer you stay on JUDDD, the more flexibility you find in it, even on DDs (such as budgeting in some of the real dinner your family is having just less of it, or being able to dine out.)

I noticed that with a month or so on JUDDD I was also settling down from eating willy-nilly on UDs and started to gravitate toward whole foods more of the time. Not to say I don't indulge cause I do, but the majority of my diet is real, wholesome foods.

Enjoy your garden this year. Thanks for this post!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I tried a few of the substitute lc foods years ago. Decided a root canal was preferable. My tum does not tolerate artificial sweeteners. So, on lc I avoided sweets. Which was okay because I adore hwc, meat, and veg. But. Just had a handful of DH's dark chocolate M & Ms. No guilt, no stress...today is UD. JUDDD is better.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-11-2012 at 12:56 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
I avoid most of them too. I do have gluc and oat fiber. I love making a lowcal muffin once in a while on DDs and the oat fiber is great. I do˝t make them much tho cuz the oat fiber makes me a little bloated. But I love them. And then gluc pudding is a must have. I love making puddings. Other than that I use protein and protein shakes but mostly whole foods are much better.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I love coconut flour, flax, glucomannan, oat fiber and joseph's low-carb pitas
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah, I threw out a bucket of old coconut flour too. But I love flax and still make flkaxseed pancakes that I grew to love LC'ing. But the grocery store carries those so not a problem.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I have decided to not use sugar or flour anymore. I'm sure a few teaspoons here and there will happen but not as a regular ingredient. I have been using coconut or almond flour for baked goods. Stevia, erythritol, or liquid spenda for sweetner. And of course Joesphs lavash and pita's.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

I actually do not use wheat myself but will eat the occasional wheat product made by someone else. The only time I use flour is when DS is home from college and wants pancakes. I am just starting to use real sugar again.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
It's wonderful isn't it?? Particularly when you have a budget!!!

I find that I haven't yet managed to get into a routine - but what I find interesting is that I just like normal food - not even lots of cookies etc. Also my eating is 'normalising' itself - the other day I over ate on an UD (always do quite well on my DD) - however today another UD, I have eaten to satiety and still have a couple of hundred to go - not going to have them though!

I know I need to respect my UD numbers - but I've still had 1950 today - that's okay!

Great Post!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Doing LC has turned me on to different ways of cooking things that I actually like better. I like to eat cottage cheese pancakes. I like to roll up my tuna in cheese. I like "breading" things in parm cheese. I like using things like almond and coconut flour. There are more examples, but it has really opened my eyes to the different ways that food can be prepared and I LOVE that. Those new foods have become staples in my diet because I like them better than the old versions.

However, I never liked to cook with the fake sugars. I will use them now and again, but in small quantities. I avoid recipes with weird ingredients like xantham gum. JUDDD is exciting, because I feel like I can have my avocados and eat my cake sometimes too. I've never felt like that was possible before. If I wanted carbs, I had to be low fat, low cal...which made me miserable. This is like the best of both worlds.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I think most of us find that as we progress down this journey with eating we will gravitate toward whole organic unprocessed real FOOD.
Pretty awesome!
I love eggs from the chickens, grass fed beef a friend raises, growing vegetables, beans, nuts, freedom from poisons like refined sugars and artificial garbage.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

I can't claim organic yet but I am establishing a flock of laying hens. they haven't started laying yet but they free range and eat grass and bugs and whatever else they scratch up. Chickens are fun to watch too. The roosters will be processed and put in the freezer one of these weekends.
I agree that the longer I do this the more I tend to eat plain old food.