Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Giving it three more weeks (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/757230-giving-three-more-weeks.html)

Speck333 02-10-2012 12:48 PM

Giving it three more weeks
 
I don't post much here, because quite honestly, I'm jealous, sad and disheartened at the amount of success "everyone else" seems to have had/are having while I am not. I know that sounds petty, and I am sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings.

Just a summary of my JUDDD experience here. I started in October. I was doing 600 cal (and low carb) down days MWF and low carb, up to 1700 up days Tues/Thurs, an "anything goes" Saturday, and a medium (1200 cal) Sunday. While I had some issues finding what carbs and processed foods don't agree with me during that time, I enjoyed success. I lost 5 pounds in about 5 weeks, which may not seem like a lot to you, but I had been solidly stalled for 10 months prior. I declared my stall over and thought I'd be seeing 20 pounds gone by this time. Then I got sick, retained water, gained after a down day, got discouraged and this event triggered some nihilism throughout the holidays. From Thanksgiving through New Years I was very sloppy. I gained 8 pounds. Since then, I have been solidly back on JUDDD, with only a minor misstep here and there. I have lowered my up day calories to 1500 since I lowered my goal weight. I try to stay right around 500 cals now on my down days. I have made non-Primal choices on Saturdays, but not non-JUDDD choices. All of this since Jan. 3. And where am I? Bouncing between 149-153.

I have become stricter and yet the weight refuses to drop. I am so used to the idea that when things aren't going right to buckle down and tighten up, not to relax and loosen the restriction.

When I look at it objectively, it seems like I need to go back to what was working in October doesn't it?

Well, I'm going to give it three more weeks. If I don't see the losses again by March 3, I'm going to give up JUDDD. I mean, it's the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results, right?
One tweak I am going to do is do the standard UD/DD rotation, no medium day, and whatever weekend day my UD lands on will be "free".

Well, wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes.

alibaba 02-10-2012 01:04 PM

I wish you luck, it's very frusturating to be stuck. A couple of things I've read over and over here by those that experienced the true JUDDD "magic" was: 1) obey your calories ceilings. No free days in weight loss mode. And 2) no medium days - follow the rotation exactly. I think if you were to do that, along with 500 cal DDs and 1500 (or a bit more) UDs, with no MDs of FDs, you'll lose just fine!

gotsomeold 02-10-2012 01:12 PM

I believe Dr J intended that calories be calculated from current weight, not from goal weight. I suspect you may have dropped just low enough that your body may be going into 'hold onto it'/starvation mode.

I believe if you were losing on and around 1700/UD, you should return to that level. Going down to 500/DD should be enough to get the pattern working.

I encourage you to try that.

Speck333 02-10-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alibaba (Post 15405922)
I wish you luck, it's very frusturating to be stuck. A couple of things I've read over and over here by those that experienced the true JUDDD "magic" was: 1) obey your calories ceilings. No free days in weight loss mode. And 2) no medium days - follow the rotation exactly. I think if you were to do that, along with 500 cal DDs and 1500 (or a bit more) UDs, with no MDs of FDs, you'll lose just fine!

Thanks!
I know, but see, I broke both those rules in Oct/Nov. and that's when I was losing. 500 cal DDs and 1500 cal UDs is what I have been doing, and I'm stuck. So, I'm going to try what I was doing when I was losing before. I guess I'm just weird.

Jenn1225 02-10-2012 01:24 PM

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it works out for you because I am in the same boat. Starting next week I'm going to try LC/JUDDD to see if that works, if not I think I'm just going back to LC all together and come back to JUDDD when I'm ready to maintain

Speck333 02-10-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn1225 (Post 15405980)
I'm really looking forward to seeing how it works out for you because I am in the same boat. Starting next week I'm going to try LC/JUDDD to see if that works, if not I think I'm just going back to LC all together and come back to JUDDD when I'm ready to maintain

I was maintaining great on general low carb for all of 2011 -- but I wanted to be losing! Tried all sorts of things to break my stall. JUDDD was the only thing that worked. We'll see if I can get it to work again.

Beeb 02-10-2012 01:57 PM

Speck, my dearest LCF/JUDDD BUDDD, I'm :aprayer: here that you find what works for you and hoping it's JUDDD.

If not, please come over and say hi now and then, please! :hugs:

Jenn1225 02-10-2012 01:58 PM

By the time I was ready to switch to JUDDD I was maintaining on LC to. I'm thinking that maybe being on JUDDD and off LC for this long though might have broken my stall.

Speck333 02-10-2012 03:28 PM

Thanks, Beeb. :hugs:
Jenn, for your sake, I hope so, too!

metqa 02-10-2012 04:18 PM

March 3 is my Birthday. I hope you get the progress you want by then.

tiva 02-10-2012 04:21 PM

Good luck! JUDDD only worked for me if stuck to low carb, and then fasted on DD. If I wanted to lose weight, I could not eat any solid food on DD; I had to limit those days to broth (and coffee with a little heavy cream). I assume that was because I was within a lb or 2 of goal. It's fine to push DD as low as possible, just so you keep UD high.

Your goal weight is extremely low--I wonder if you might be setting yourself up for frustration with a goal of less than 100 lbs, and a clothing size goal of 0?

Speck333 02-10-2012 04:31 PM

Tiva, I know. The goals seems absurd. But I'm quite petite and with today's vanity sizing, I don't think it's unrealistic. The 99 pound weight is my crazy goal. I'd like to see it, but I don't expect to maintain it. I'll know when I'm done losing weight no matter what the scale or the labels say.

Met, if I do, I'll call it a birthday present for you.

metqa 02-10-2012 04:49 PM

I'll be thinking about you when I blow out my candle. Maybe I can make an early birthday wish. Think it'll work? I'll go get a candle right now!!! :D

Speck333 02-10-2012 05:40 PM

I can use all the wishes I can get.

ccrickett 02-10-2012 06:18 PM

Here's hoping the lbs start dropping for you soon. I'd send you the woosh fairy if I could only figure out where to find her! Sending good thoughts instead.

Speck333 02-10-2012 06:47 PM

lol, thanks cricket!

sophiethecat 02-10-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck333 (Post 15405819)
I don't post much here, because quite honestly, I'm jealous, sad and disheartened at the amount of success "everyone else" seems to have had/are having while I am not. I know that sounds petty, and I am sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings.

Just a summary of my JUDDD experience here. I started in October. I was doing 600 cal (and low carb) down days MWF and low carb, up to 1700 up days Tues/Thurs, an "anything goes" Saturday, and a medium (1200 cal) Sunday. While I had some issues finding what carbs and processed foods don't agree with me during that time, I enjoyed success. I lost 5 pounds in about 5 weeks, which may not seem like a lot to you, but I had been solidly stalled for 10 months prior. I declared my stall over and thought I'd be seeing 20 pounds gone by this time. Then I got sick, retained water, gained after a down day, got discouraged and this event triggered some nihilism throughout the holidays. From Thanksgiving through New Years I was very sloppy. I gained 8 pounds. Since then, I have been solidly back on JUDDD, with only a minor misstep here and there. I have lowered my up day calories to 1500 since I lowered my goal weight. I try to stay right around 500 cals now on my down days. I have made non-Primal choices on Saturdays, but not non-JUDDD choices. All of this since Jan. 3. And where am I? Bouncing between 149-153.

I have become stricter and yet the weight refuses to drop. I am so used to the idea that when things aren't going right to buckle down and tighten up, not to relax and loosen the restriction.

When I look at it objectively, it seems like I need to go back to what was working in October doesn't it?

Well, I'm going to give it three more weeks. If I don't see the losses again by March 3, I'm going to give up JUDDD. I mean, it's the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results, right?
One tweak I am going to do is do the standard UD/DD rotation, no medium day, and whatever weekend day my UD lands on will be "free".

Well, wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes.

Hello, Speck, my JUDDD bud. So sorry you're not seeing the loss you want. Yes, why not go back to what worked before - have HIGHER UDs and include some more carbs since that sounds like what worked for you when you started.

And don't worry about hurting feelings. :hugs: That just won't happen. We love to hear how people are doing, and if it's not so good we want to know that too in order to offer our support and help.

mykidsteacher 02-11-2012 11:30 AM

I'm hoping going back to what worked for you before kicks things in again for you.

Speck333 02-11-2012 11:41 AM

Thanks Sophie and Tina.

pjsam1156 02-11-2012 08:09 PM

Speck--I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.:(
I'm 5'3" and 142 lb. currently. My goal is to take off 15 more lbs.
I have been JUDDDing for 17 weeks--and if it's any help, I find that I DO NOT lose anytime I have a free day or an MD or anything other than a strict rotation of UDs 1700-1800 / DDs 500 or below.:annoyed:
I have only maintained for about eight (8):eek: of those 17 weeks (no weight loss at all) by not respecting my numbers.
It seems that some people don't have to be as strict as I do and they lose on a consistent basis--but not me!:cry::laugh:
Hang in there!!:high5:

Speck333 02-11-2012 09:01 PM

Thank pjsam. I know, it seems counterintuitive. BUT, when JUDDD was working for me, when I was losing, I had a free Saturday and a medium Sunday, every week! Three down days and two regular up days completed my weekly pattern. All I can figure is the weekly daily average of calories was my sweet spot. It's when I was either more lenient or more strict that I didn't lose. All I can do now is try to replicate that pattern and see if it works again. I am going to have a normal rotation though now, no more medium days. Before, it was both necessary and my preference to have the same down days each week. Now, that need is not there.

I had a very UP day today, just like in the past. A crazy 2650 calories and so much junk I don't even want to go into it. Totally un-Primal and high carb. I plan on fasting entirely except for warm liquids throughout the day tomorrow until dinner.

JKat 02-12-2012 05:16 AM

Hugs :hugs:

Cruzcrzy 02-12-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck333 (Post 15409546)
Thank pjsam. I know, it seems counterintuitive. BUT, when JUDDD was working for me, when I was losing, I had a free Saturday and a medium Sunday, every week! Three down days and two regular up days completed my weekly pattern. All I can figure is the weekly daily average of calories was my sweet spot. It's when I was either more lenient or more strict that I didn't lose. All I can do now is try to replicate that pattern and see if it works again. I am going to have a normal rotation though now, no more medium days. Before, it was both necessary and my preference to have the same down days each week. Now, that need is not there.

I had a very UP day today, just like in the past. A crazy 2650 calories and so much junk I don't even want to go into it. Totally un-Primal and high carb. I plan on fasting entirely except for warm liquids throughout the day tomorrow until dinner.

It happens. TODAY IS NEW DAY:hugs:.

Speck333 02-12-2012 10:25 AM

Aw thanks, Marie. But I did it on purpose! ;) It is part of my plan. mwhahahahaha!

Jodi, thanks, I love hugs. :)

b_lou_who 02-12-2012 06:18 PM

Medically eating 1500 is starvation level, so going back up to normal Cal on up days makes sense. I also make sure I don't go over 25g sugars in a day ever, usually well under, rather than counting carbs. That helps me and i found i balanced out naturally at a level of real food carbs my body tolerates well.Might benefit you.

Speck333 02-12-2012 08:37 PM

Thanks for the tips b_lou! Sugar is not a normal part of my plan, either. Only occasionally.

Well, I managed to fast until dinner. It was easier than I thought it would be. But now I am wiped out! I had coffee, water, broth and tea throughout the day and enjoyed every bite of my bean-less chili with some cheddar cheese and sour cream. ********* puts my cals at 574 and net carbs at 21 (I underestimated when I posted to the "what are you eating today" thread). I also managed to do a mile run/walk this afternoon. I never thought I would be able to do that at 21 hours into a fast. Maybe that's why I'm so tired now.

I weighed 155 this morning. Hope some of it is gone tomorrow. Official weigh in will be on the weekend day after my last down day... so next Sunday.

gotsomeold 02-13-2012 10:22 AM

Don't forget to tell what happens on Saturday!!!!! I am SO hopeful returning to what was working will work again!

Speck333 02-13-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15413197)
Don't forget to tell what happens on Saturday!!!!! I am SO hopeful returning to what was working will work again!

I will! I was down a pound and a half this morning. 155.4 yesterday, 153.8 today. And today is an up day, but no junk today, just good, "clean" low-carb eats.

gotsomeold 02-13-2012 01:59 PM

:clap::up::clap::up::clap: So, the tentative conclusion is you are a petite, small-boned person whose metabolism has no middle gears - eat just too little and *zap* you are in starvation mode, eat enough and the after-burners come on at zero to 110 mph is under 60 seconds. Congrats one deciding to increase your fuel consumption! I am really looking forward to Saturday's report now!

Speck333 02-13-2012 02:07 PM

I think if I can get back to 150.something by this weekend, I'll be happy and much more motivated!
And yes, it appears I have a "sweet spot" for losing and not much wiggle room either way. That would explain why I couldn't lose even when I did the Atkins fat fast over the summer.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 AM.