Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #91
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
to Maintain Lain, Leo & Luna! Or, as we sometimes refer to it as "Easy Street", hehe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitnow View Post
Okay...I am so excited! I posted that I hoped I would lose a bit more maintaining too, like so many others. Well, I reported my 1/2 lb. loss a couple of weeks ago, and am now happy to report a new low after about another 1/2lb. gone. This is exactly what I hoped would happen!!! The main reason being that I went into maintenance on the high end of the range I want to stay in. Anyway, it sure made for a happy happy UD today!!

Phyl
Happy day, indeed! Congrats, Phyl!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Woohoo Phyl! That is fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Okay, I don't belong here, having just started JUDDD. Excuse the B&E, but I WILL belong here some day and I read your posts for the motivation. Thanks. I'll go back to the newbie threads now,
Kristin
Stop by anytime! One reason we post is to encourage each other, but an equally important reason to stay on the forum after maintenance is reached is to encourage those still in wlm, and to help others see how maintenance can look. And what to do when problems creep in. And to share how wonderful and easy this woe is to continue for the long haul.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #94
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Phyl, that is wonderful!! How great is that?!? I'm hoping that will happen for me too.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful news!!!

ETA: Sophie, Easy Street

Last edited by Luna Loca; 05-02-2012 at 08:38 AM..
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dawn007
Stats: 163/164/148
WOE: Low Carb/ JUDDD
Start Date: January 2007
I started to maintain at 50% April 17th. It is scary to just add in calories, but it WORKS! I am still losing about 1/2 pound a week but I am afraid to raise up higher to 60%. I guess I am just waiting to see if this evens out an maintains by itself. I think maybe if I keep doing this at 50% for a month it will tell me if I need to raise the calories again.

I thought I read somewhere that you keep losing for a couple weeks anyway. So for me it is trial and error. I wish there were more information about maintenance.

I love it though! JUDDD ROCKS!

Dawn
Dawn007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

WTG Dawn! We are building the info about maintenance right here.

Keep sharing your experience. It will help all of us.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Kristin....Keep coming to the maintenance lane thread!!! You are so welcome and before I got here, anything I could read about how things were going for others AFTER being in WLM, was so encouraging and MOTIVATING!!! Hope to see you here soon!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Thank You all for the warm welcome!

My first day ( yesterday) was not good - too many calories I was feeling so down this morning about going way over! Then Tina posted and i did as she recommended and now I am feeling great! I was going to really cut way back today, but I have just decided to use the amount the site gave me for a DD and I feel just so relaxed about food once again!

Hope to get to know each and everyone here!

Thanks All!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #99

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Yes Kristin you will be here one day and please pop in any time to visit. I believe that with JUDDD you are going to find what you are looking for.

Phyl I am delighted that you are continuing to lose. I couldn't believe how it kept coming off me.

Dawn lovely to see you posting, here too.

Last edited by Kissa; 05-02-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Yay, Leonak. Glad I could help.

Looking forward to my UD tomorrow. I was hungry today for some reason. Even with 800 cals. I only used 753, maybe I should have a small snack.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Well I am not doing so good. I lost another pound and am down to 147. Tina I am doing like you, if I am lacking around 100 calories I let it go. I am either going to have to make sure I get the full amount of calories in on a DD, or maybe go over a few. To maintain.

I thought that possibly you continue to loose a couple weeks after you get out of WLM. But I hit the 2 week mark yesterday and am down another pound today.

I think I will make sure my DD's are on the mark for calories or within 100 over for the next 2 weeks and see what happens.

Dawn
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #102
Blabbermouth!!!

Guys, I need to STOP losing!

I'm down below my maintenance range today (how many times over the last 6 months have I reported that, lol, at least 3 or 4 now), after an 850 calorie DD yesterday (was actually more than that but I don't count veggies in my calorie count, except corn or potatoes).

Weight was 134.4 today.

I have been hanging down at the low end of my range for a while now, and I'm sure it has something to do with my GI issues. I have to avoid large meals at one sitting because it causes so much distress for hours later.

Plus I'm trying to eat healthier anyway to help with certain health things. But I seem to have lost my taste lately for so many of the high calorie things I used to throw down the hatch.

Another thing is, this week I decided to cut out my beloved red wine, during the week at least, so that's around 300 - 450 calories right there I'm no longer getting (along with the munchy foods it usually made me scarf down, lol) I'm going to keep giving my liver a rest, poor thing, and try to make this a longterm thing of drinking much less than I used to. So I will need something else to fill those calories, preferably something healthy.

One thing I need to do is go back to counting my FDs to make sure I'm getting in at least the minimum I need, which is 1800 calories. Because I have a feeling I'm not getting in the high calorie FDs that I used to (between 1800 - 2500 cals on FDs when I bothered to count).

Here is what a typical day looks like for me lately, whether UD or DD, just portions may be smaller:

Breakfast until Dinner:
-lots of green tea w/stevia
-blueberries and/or other fruit
-handful of almonds
-1 apple per day
-at least 2 carrots
-fish or egg or some other protein, often with evoo or vco
-greens & other veggies in salad w evoo

Dinner through bedtime:
-whatever I fixed everyone for dinner, such as meat, rice dish, veggies, only my main dish portions are smaller than they used to be since large meals hurt.
-more tea, only decaf now.

Sometimes that's it for the day, and other times during the day I'll have dark chocolate and peanut butter, cereal with unsweet. almond milk, sandwich & chips, etc.

Pre-TOM and it's anything goes.

Maybe my tummy has temporarily shrunk or it's the GI stuff quelling my appetite, or I've at least temporarily lost my taste for the higher carb, often junky foods I was eating.

I think I need some recs for high calorie yet healthy things I can eat and drink to make sure I'm filling in my calorie quota by the end of an UD. Keep in mind I don't eat dairy anymore or only a little on occasion (it messes with my hormones big time). I was thinking I could use more vco but then I hear it doesn't even act like a normal fat in your diet and will not put weight on you? I guess I could do more peanut butter...
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 05-03-2012 at 07:49 AM..
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #103
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn007 View Post
Well I am not doing so good. I lost another pound and am down to 147. Tina I am doing like you, if I am lacking around 100 calories I let it go. I am either going to have to make sure I get the full amount of calories in on a DD, or maybe go over a few. To maintain.

I thought that possibly you continue to loose a couple weeks after you get out of WLM. But I hit the 2 week mark yesterday and am down another pound today.

I think I will make sure my DD's are on the mark for calories or within 100 over for the next 2 weeks and see what happens.

Dawn
Hi Dawn Looks like we are having similar issues. Referring to the bolded part above, the fact is that many of us continue to lose over months of maintenance. I reached goal at 145# by November, and have slowly dropped a little more over time. All through this I have eaten FDs and my DD calories keep moving up - now they are between 850 - 900 so far.

Although I have continued to slowly lose in maintenance, I think this latest drop below my normal range (see post above this one) is because I need to go back to counting on UDs to make sure I get in a min. of 1800 per day.

As you mentioned, try increasing your DD cals some and see if that helps.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Sophie, I'm guessing with your diet changes, you are getting far fewer calories on an UD than you think you are.

How about for breakfast, a smoothie. Coconut milk (full fat), protein powder (I have some Sun Warrior on the way, I can let you know how it is--rice, not whey or soy), berries, and some almond butter or peanut butter.

Make some hummus or guacamole to dip those veggies in. Dip the apple in some almond or peanut butter.

Oh, coconut whipped cream on your morning berries--so good! Put the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight (Thai Kitchen worked better than the Golden star brand at WM). In the morning, turn it upside down and open it. It should separate into a cloudy liquid on top, and the white, thick cream on bottom. Drain off the liquid (you can save it and drink it or add it to a smoothie or something), and scoop out the thick part. Add some vanilla stevia and whip with a hand mixer.

My naturopath has me taking glutamine to heal my gut after eliminating my allergen foods. I wonder if that might help your tummy too?

I wouldn't be afraid to up my DD cals to 1000 to stop losing. I am maintaining easily at 900/1500.

Dawn, I think adding some higher fat items might help you too. Just keep tweaking.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #105

Show me another board where people are eating such healthy varied diets and complain that they are losing too much weight. Dawn 007, at first I was reading your post thinking "Oh no, poor Dawn is gaining."

Don't mean to laugh at you, more with you, who would have dreamt it?

Some great suggestions from Tina, I will be trying the coconut milk/ cream myself, I love it. Cannot stomach the coconut oil though.

I know nothing about the glutamine but it sounds as if it might help Sophie.

I must say that I am doing really well, just sitting around 123/4 most of the time. Happy me.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

Last edited by Kissa; 05-03-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #106

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Sophie, the GI issues sound like they are really messing with you. I'm so sorry.

Do you like avocado? One of my favorite lunches is couscous mixed in with soy sauce and a diced avocado. So yummy and I imagine this would be a calming food for your tummy (unless you are allergic to wheat, I don't think you've mentioned that you are).

Nuts and nut butters are another idea. I was at the health food store and saw chocolate-dipped brazil nuts (my favorite kind of nut). Maybe some nutella? It's wonderful drizzled over fresh strawberries. Or just off the spoon.

And here's some

I've dropped down to a new low this morning, 177.8. It's only .2 below my previous low but I'm happy. If this continues, I won't mind.

I was looking at the calorie calculator and at 700 down days, I'm technically still in weight loss mode (I think I'm at the 40% level). So technically I'm not in maintenance. I'm still posting here if that's alright, because mentally I am in maintenance, not trying to lose weight right now. If it happens to fall off of it's own accord, so be it.

I have a question for you all--now that you're in maintenance, do you eat back exercise calories? I've done two high-intensity workouts in the last several days, both on up days, and allowed myself some extra calories due to hunger but not all of them. How does this work for you all? I'm thinking if I'm burning 800 calories on a 15 mile bike ride, and I'm trying to maintain, I should eat some of those back, or maybe all of them?

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #107

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
Luna, I walk 4 miles a day, 7 days a week, and I do not add in extra calories due to exercise. I am not currently JUDDDing(haven't been since mid Feb). My daily calories range between 1600-1800. Yesterday, I had 2000 but that was unusual for me.

Sophie, I have nothing to add as you've already been given some great ideas to increase your calories.
Cruzcrzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I was starting to think about maintenance-related issues and realized I probably was ready to join in this thread. My long-time goal has been 130 and I've been below that quite a bit recently. Ultimately, I'd like to see 125, but that would just sorta be a bonus. I've read through the last page of this thread only and will read the rest soon. I love these ideas for sweet snacks...Luna and Tina...I need to find alternatives to sugar. For me, I think that is the best way to go. I will say, though, I'm not freaking out over carbs so much anymore, adding some in here and there when it's something I want, leaving them out when I like the low-carb version just as much or better.

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Sophie… my DD are at 808 calories at 50%. This leaves me the ability to go up to 60% if I needed. I thought it would be better to try the lower maintenance calories first to make sure I would not start gaining. For right now, I am thinking I need to make sure I make the DD calories all the way, and the UD calories all the way.

If I keep losing, move my UD calories up to 60%. After a couple weeks of being on target, and I keep losing, then move up the DD calories a little more than 60% until I stop. That is about all I know to do for now.

I guess this thread is the start of figuring out maintenance that works for each of us?

This is not health food, but what I have done when I needed a fast 200 extra calories is grab some of hubby’s chips or chex mix and some nuts, I do measure it. It’s for when I am not really hungry but have to get some calories in when it is not meal time. I think I am going to finish up the ff half and half and start with full fat half and half. I have about two weeks’ worth of it here still. I just had a thought writing this, I could use whole fruit to get extra calories too. Instead of half an orange or half an apple! Now that Is awesome! Duh!

The alcohol is really a lot of calories you will need to replace. So try some of Tina’s suggestions and using full fat (more calories). I bought some steaks and I normally save red meat for UD’s because it does have higher calories. I have pretty well stopped buying diet foods, low calorie things and am back to normal meals I fix for DH. It seems so strange to just eat normal foods after LC since 2004! This is one reason I love JUDDD!

Tina... I have started adding coconut oil back in the mornings but that is a good fat and doesn’t count. Maybe if this keeps up I can switch from ff half and half in my coffee, over to regular? Now I would of never thought that, but it might do the trick. I have full fat ice cream every night. Except on DD. I just found a coconut ice cream from Bunny it is called Coconut Macaroon Crunch. Full of real coconut pieces. But the ice cream is where I get most of the daily fat, except for red meats and low calorie salad dressing.

Kissa… You are right… who would of dreamed it! I really wasn’t thinking I would be funny, but now that you mention it… It does look funny! I am sure I won't die if I get down to 140 either, just look old and wrinkles show more. DH will complain, but I know it won't hurt too. I need to find the maintenance though. Skin and bones won't look good.

Dawn
Old 05-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Up a pound today, and looking over my past few days, I'm under on my ud's by 100 cals or so. This always stalls me. I need to make sure I get close to 1600. A couple days, I'm not even to 1500.

It could also just be a normal bounce as ov is pending. But I do need to do better on those UD cals. Just got my Sun Warrior protein powder in, so I'm looking forward to incorporating some yummy smoothies. Had one mid-morning actually. They included a free sample of SW Greens powder, so added that in too, along with some almond milk and 3 strawberries. Used my new magic bullet for the first time. It was YUMMY!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #111

Yes, Shirl I think this is your new home. It a nice, warm relaxing spot.

Dawn007, I so agree. It is so tempting to enjoy those lower numbers but after a certain age, and I am well after it, we have to think of the face. Wrinkles and hollows are not a good look. My DH has forbidden me to drop below 122.

124 today.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Sophie, I'm guessing with your diet changes, you are getting far fewer calories on an UD than you think you are.

How about for breakfast, a smoothie. Coconut milk (full fat), protein powder (I have some Sun Warrior on the way, I can let you know how it is--rice, not whey or soy), berries, and some almond butter or peanut butter.

Make some hummus or guacamole to dip those veggies in. Dip the apple in some almond or peanut butter.

Oh, coconut whipped cream on your morning berries--so good! Put the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight (Thai Kitchen worked better than the Golden star brand at WM). In the morning, turn it upside down and open it. It should separate into a cloudy liquid on top, and the white, thick cream on bottom. Drain off the liquid (you can save it and drink it or add it to a smoothie or something), and scoop out the thick part. Add some vanilla stevia and whip with a hand mixer.

My naturopath has me taking glutamine to heal my gut after eliminating my allergen foods. I wonder if that might help your tummy too?

I wouldn't be afraid to up my DD cals to 1000 to stop losing. I am maintaining easily at 900/1500.

Dawn, I think adding some higher fat items might help you too. Just keep tweaking.
Thanks for the recs, Tina. It's always good to get fresh ideas from other people - I need the inspiration. I love the idea of the protein smoothie...I used to drink whey protein shakes daily since the new year but in April I cut out dairy, and so there is another big empty place in my diet to fill.

Also like the idea of guacamole to dip the veggies in! Glutamine, will have to look into it.

Thanks again.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #113
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
Sophie, the GI issues sound like they are really messing with you. I'm so sorry.

Do you like avocado? One of my favorite lunches is couscous mixed in with soy sauce and a diced avocado. So yummy and I imagine this would be a calming food for your tummy (unless you are allergic to wheat, I don't think you've mentioned that you are).

Nuts and nut butters are another idea. I was at the health food store and saw chocolate-dipped brazil nuts (my favorite kind of nut). Maybe some nutella? It's wonderful drizzled over fresh strawberries. Or just off the spoon.

And here's some

I've dropped down to a new low this morning, 177.8. It's only .2 below my previous low but I'm happy. If this continues, I won't mind.

I was looking at the calorie calculator and at 700 down days, I'm technically still in weight loss mode (I think I'm at the 40% level). So technically I'm not in maintenance. I'm still posting here if that's alright, because mentally I am in maintenance, not trying to lose weight right now. If it happens to fall off of it's own accord, so be it.

I have a question for you all--now that you're in maintenance, do you eat back exercise calories? I've done two high-intensity workouts in the last several days, both on up days, and allowed myself some extra calories due to hunger but not all of them. How does this work for you all? I'm thinking if I'm burning 800 calories on a 15 mile bike ride, and I'm trying to maintain, I should eat some of those back, or maybe all of them?
Thanks, Luna. My acidic stomach issue has improved lots since I stopped the wine and kept up the otc prilosec. I still have the "flu-like" or "morning sickness" thing in the a.m. but it wears off within a couple hours, usually. Anyway since changing my diet and eating less in one sitting, things have improved overall, which is nice. And thank you for the suggestions - I do like avocado and will start eating more of those.

I wouldn't be surprised if you continue to lose in maintenance. Very often it seems the more relaxed mindset of maintenance promotes further healing - maybe it's less mental/emotional stress so the body can relax too and just let go of weight in a gentle fashion as it's able and willing. Oh and it's perfectly fine to keep posting here - - us maintainers move all over the % as needed, depending on how we are feeling (health or just otherwise), what is going on with schedule, events, etc. Some find they've gained back a few pesky pounds and so they go back into WLM, but nothing is really etched too deeply... I move in and out of the different IF and calorie amounts quite frequently as part of maintenance.

Unfortunately, I'm not one able to answer your exercise question since I still don't do much in the way of exercise. But if I was a heavy exerciser, I know my appetite and energy needs would increase, and I would be inclined to allow for more calories, and more generously even while in maintenance.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 05-04-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post

I am seldom 'at maintenance' levels with my numbers. I eat more or fewer calories depending on how I feel. My object is simply to have my weight remain between 122/26.

I never eat exercise calories back. Over the years, I have never noticed that exercise made me lose weight. I do it because of the health benefits.

Lovely to have you here encouraging everyone along Luna.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Today is day 4 for me here, the first 3 days were way over the calorie limit big time!

Today I feel and am in control.

Yesterday as DH left for the day "I thought he was a #%&#$" and then all day long I ate! Emotional eating! Why does one do that?

Have a great weekend all!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #116

Because we are human? Glad you are getting to grips with things now.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Thanks for the recs, Tina. It's always good to get fresh ideas from other people - I need the inspiration. I love the idea of the protein smoothie...I used to drink whey protein shakes daily since the new year but in April I cut out dairy, and so there is another big empty place in my diet to fill.

Also like the idea of guacamole to dip the veggies in! Glutamine, will have to look into it.

Thanks again.
I just got my shipment of the Sun Warrior Vanilla protein powder. It's a rice protein, so no dairy! Mixed it with some almond milk and a couple strawberries and it was really good. On an UD, I plan to add some almond butter, maybe 1/2 a banana. All sorts of fun options.

Leonak, good for you reigning it back in and getting back in control.

And absolutely Luna, you should stay here. Your intent is maintenance, if Juddd overrules, well, so be it. LOL
Old 05-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #118

Tina, what is the calorie count on the protein powder? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

1 scoop of the vanilla rice protein powder is 70 cals, 16g protein.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
1 scoop of the vanilla rice protein powder is 70 cals, 16g protein.
Thanks, Tina!