Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Nausea & Dizziness (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/756968-nausea-dizziness.html)

ollie 02-08-2012 08:41 PM

Nausea & Dizziness

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced nausea or dizziness on the WOE? The last few days I've felt dizzy several times during the day, and sometimes the dizziness leads to nausea. Just curious, as I rarely ever experience either of these things.

BTW, this is week 6 JUDDDing

Thanks,
Kay

hockey_gal 02-08-2012 08:49 PM

Are you sure it's JUDDDing related and not an illness coming on? I could see it being diet related if you were in the first week or two? But kind of strange to show up at this point. Have you changed anything else recently? (more caffeine, less water, etc)

I have had plenty of dizzy and naseau related episodes. I have been episode free for a while now - I don't think I've ever gone this long w/o one. I have had every work up under the sun and the only things "off" for me were always low blood pressure and low heartrate. I've upped my coffee intake bc it suppresses my appetite on DDs...so I'm not sure if it's JUDDD helping me or the coffee (I started drinking coffee during pregnancy bc my heartrate was dropping into the low 40s and it helped me then).

Could your blood pressure have dropped?

Take care of yourself!

ollie 02-08-2012 08:57 PM

Hi,
No other changes I can think of. I feel fine other than these weird episodes that come and go. Not time of month either. I was thinking it might be low blood sugar????

gharkness 02-09-2012 02:50 AM

(I am not a doctor). Does the dizziness occur when you stand up, or otherwise are moving around? That would more likely be due to low blood pressure. How quickly does it go away? If it's blood sugar, it wouldn't leave quickly, because it takes a little time to get blood sugar up, whereas, blood pressure can change quickly.

More likely it's low blood pressure, which may take a little longer to occur, hence the six weeks. Even a diet that's not low carb can result in low blood pressure due to its diuretic effect on some people, which reduces blood volume. Before you give up, try some boullion or other salty drinks or foods that fit within your UD/DD parameters. Not just when the dizziness occurs, but as a preventative, every day.

You should be able to get a good idea about your blood pressure by visiting one of those blood pressure monitors in every drug store. They are not necessarily super-accurate, but they will give you a general idea.

Majella 02-09-2012 05:19 AM

Hiya this has happened to me on DD when I've not drank enough....maybe it's that? Hope it goes away soon

WWC 02-09-2012 05:43 AM

Are you writing down everything you eat? Can you look at it and see any patterns? One of the reasons that low-carb works for me is because my BS bottoms out a couple of hours after eating higher carb items (especially if I have not paired it with a protein or good fat.) I would look at your food plan and see what your carbs look like on up days. Are you eating more than normal? Do you eat them by themselves or pair them with a protein?

Protein or good fats will slow the digestion of carbs making their impact on the body easier. My other thought would be fluid consumption and making sure you are well hydrated on both UDs and DDs.

I had a habit in HS and my 20's of getting dizzy and passing out. It feels terrible. :console: Once I got on board with eating healthier (took a long time :hyst:) I don't get any of those symptoms any more.

NoWeigh 02-09-2012 08:52 AM

I'm just a lurker, trying to learn....BUT...the last time that happened to me, I found out I was pregnant.

WWC 02-09-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoWeigh (Post 15401893)
I'm just a lurker, trying to learn....BUT...the last time that happened to me, I found out I was pregnant.

:hyst::jumpjoy:

NoWeigh 02-09-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WWC (Post 15401980)
:hyst::jumpjoy:

Ok, laugh if you will, but my dizziness and nausea just turned 28 years old! ;)

sophiethecat 02-09-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoWeigh (Post 15401997)

:hyst: :laugh:

sophiethecat 02-09-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollie (Post 15400790)
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced nausea or dizziness on the WOE? The last few days I've felt dizzy several times during the day, and sometimes the dizziness leads to nausea. Just curious, as I rarely ever experience either of these things.

BTW, this is week 6 JUDDDing

Thanks,
Kay

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_gal (Post 15400795)
Are you sure it's JUDDDing related and not an illness coming on? I could see it being diet related if you were in the first week or two? But kind of strange to show up at this point. Have you changed anything else recently? (more caffeine, less water, etc)

I have had plenty of dizzy and naseau related episodes. I have been episode free for a while now - I don't think I've ever gone this long w/o one. I have had every work up under the sun and the only things "off" for me were always low blood pressure and low heartrate. I've upped my coffee intake bc it suppresses my appetite on DDs...so I'm not sure if it's JUDDD helping me or the coffee (I started drinking coffee during pregnancy bc my heartrate was dropping into the low 40s and it helped me then).

Could your blood pressure have dropped?

Take care of yourself!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gharkness (Post 15400951)
(I am not a doctor). Does the dizziness occur when you stand up, or otherwise are moving around? That would more likely be due to low blood pressure. How quickly does it go away? If it's blood sugar, it wouldn't leave quickly, because it takes a little time to get blood sugar up, whereas, blood pressure can change quickly.

More likely it's low blood pressure, which may take a little longer to occur, hence the six weeks. Even a diet that's not low carb can result in low blood pressure due to its diuretic effect on some people, which reduces blood volume. Before you give up, try some boullion or other salty drinks or foods that fit within your UD/DD parameters. Not just when the dizziness occurs, but as a preventative, every day.

You should be able to get a good idea about your blood pressure by visiting one of those blood pressure monitors in every drug store. They are not necessarily super-accurate, but they will give you a general idea.

It does sound more like blood pressure to me too, more than even blood sugar or electrolytes as the cause, but I definitely don't know anything for sure. A visit to the doc sounds in order, ollie. :console:

Eieio 02-09-2012 09:32 AM

Yes Ollie

i had lots of dizzy first week. Then I decided it was blood pressure and low food intake.. So I ate more, and the dizzy went away. Like magic.
GOOD LUCK. Stay off ladders.
Ei

WWC 02-09-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoWeigh (Post 15401997)

I have one that will turn 7 in April. One day, I had to pull off the road because my coffee made me sick. I was think to myself, "that only happens when I'm....Oh, my!" I was almost 8 weeks along! :)

Beeb 02-09-2012 10:41 AM

I get like this if I don't drink enough, but this happened when I did an other WOE, too so I know it's not JUDDD related, it's just water/liquid related. :)

pjsam1156 02-09-2012 10:51 AM

I only get shaky if I don't eat on DDs. I don't get dizzy from it.

HOWEVER, I've had low blood pressure my entire life, so I get dizzy here and there from that. So, I guess it could be low blood pressure like some are saying.
Hope this helps!:hugs:

b_lou_who 02-09-2012 12:42 PM

When I have lost or am losing rapidly it affects my blood pressure, even have blacked out in the past. Fluid loss and major changes affect blood vessels, blood composition, and density of fat and muscle tissue that vessels pass through.
Try clenching all muscles from the waist down for ten seconds when you feel light headed. It helps dramatically.
And see your Dr if it continues or worsens!