Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Ideas for a Very Low Carber (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/756879-ideas-very-low-carber.html)

cdwrites 02-08-2012 07:04 AM

Ideas for a Very Low Carber

I have been doing strict low carb for 3.5 years and 3 very low carb. It hasn't helped me with weight loss. I did finally lose weight with hcg but I have gained 10 lbs back because of some strange hormonal issues (I gain weight 2-3 lbs with each TOM and it doesn't come off when TOM leaves) and not because of eating the wrong foods, too much food, or cheating. I eat so clean, only meats, good fats like CO and butter, eggs, and veggies. Eating higher fat had lots of health benefits as did cutting all sugar and grains, but did not help for weight loss. I am wanting to increase carbs now though as I think it's partly responsible for my hormonal issues, maybe thyroid, too because I have been eating too low carb (often I am under 10g carb). I'm having trouble. I am barely getting to 25g most days. I'd like to increase it but don't want to add grains so I've been adding back in yogurt, handful of nuts, etc., and I eat veggies but I just can't eat tons of veggies either. Any tips? I do ok with fruits, but just a little. Yesterday I had a few slices of apple on my down day, sprinkled with cinnamon. Some days I could have a handful of raspberries or blueberries. I am not a big fruit eater and have no desire to bring grains back in to my diet. I am a paleo eater now, but some raw dairy (very little, like 1 T for the whole day). Meanwhile, I am enjoying JUDDD. I'm on week 2, lost 2 lbs last week. I find this WOE very cool :) and looking forward to continuing.
Another question: After this second week of JUDDD induction, I increase calories on down days, right? How much can I increase to? My calories for UD are 1500. I keep that the same, right? And will I still lose? Thanks :).

Dottie 02-08-2012 07:12 AM

Sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots and peas are all higher carb, non-grain sources you might want to add in, slowly in small amounts :)
I just jumped in at 500 calories for DD's so I can't help you there.

adillenal 02-08-2012 07:15 AM

Congratulations on a 2 pound loss and I am glad you are enjoying JUDDD. So am I.
I am not a real expert but I did read the book and I do not recall anywhere about raising the DD calories after the first two weeks. In fact I went down since I did the 2 weeks induction with 500 calories and my calculator DD number is 350 which I am now following.

I also found I could not lose on a high fat LC diet. Now I can easily lose with lowfat LC but I wanted a plan where I could have whatever I wanted. At least half the time.
I have added fullfat yogurt (plain Dannon) with an apple and a banana for lunch most UD's, along with sweet potatoes and whatever goodie a co-worker has brought to share in the breakroom. Those goodies have apparently not interferred with my weight loss.

sunday 02-08-2012 07:26 AM

cdwrites,

It sounds like we may have the same issues on losing weight. My issue became blown out of the water when I went through Menopause a couple of years ago and I could not keep from gaining even on low carb. I find on UD that I love avocado added to just about everything. My UD cals are also around 1500 on UD and at first, I had difficulty at the end of the day not making it to my full 1500. This is when I will go ahead and eat about 10 macadamia nuts or walnuts to finish out the day.

I have been told to raise my UD cals, but I would have to start indulging in more carbs and I already have a tough time raising them. Hoping to be able to increase my carbs after I have JUDDD successfully for a month! :)

sunday 02-08-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15398721)
Sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots and peas are all higher carb, non-grain sources you might want to add in, slowly in small amounts :)
I just jumped in at 500 calories for DD's so I can't help you there.

I love sweet potato and carrots, so I will be adding this on future UD! :love:

Beeb 02-08-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdwrites (Post 15398704)
I have been doing strict low carb for 3.5 years and 3 very low carb. It hasn't helped me with weight loss. I did finally lose weight with hcg but I have gained 10 lbs back because of some strange hormonal issues (I gain weight 2-3 lbs with each TOM and it doesn't come off when TOM leaves) and not because of eating the wrong foods, too much food, or cheating. I eat so clean, only meats, good fats like CO and butter, eggs, and veggies. Eating higher fat had lots of health benefits as did cutting all sugar and grains, but did not help for weight loss. I am wanting to increase carbs now though as I think it's partly responsible for my hormonal issues, maybe thyroid, too because I have been eating too low carb (often I am under 10g carb). I'm having trouble. I am barely getting to 25g most days. I'd like to increase it but don't want to add grains so I've been adding back in yogurt, handful of nuts, etc., and I eat veggies but I just can't eat tons of veggies either. Any tips? I do ok with fruits, but just a little. Yesterday I had a few slices of apple on my down day, sprinkled with cinnamon. Some days I could have a handful of raspberries or blueberries. I am not a big fruit eater and have no desire to bring grains back in to my diet. I am a paleo eater now, but some raw dairy (very little, like 1 T for the whole day). Meanwhile, I am enjoying JUDDD. I'm on week 2, lost 2 lbs last week. I find this WOE very cool :) and looking forward to continuing.
Another question: After this second week of JUDDD induction, I increase calories on down days, right? How much can I increase to? My calories for UD are 1500. I keep that the same, right? And will I still lose? Thanks :).

Lots do LC/VLC on JUDDD and if you do a search here you will find good info about this.

I do have a couple of ?s though. Why don't you eat veggies? Do you have a trouble with them or is this just your choice to not eat them? I found my weight loss really kicked in on JUDDD when I did great DDs filled with good veggies.

Also, I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that you should up your DD calories after the 2 week induction period. I have read the book but maybe it's something I've missed? Most of us start at 500, some like myself, start higher, some start lower than the 500 but most of us haven't raised our DD calories at all, just kept them where we started.

Hope you find JUDDD a good WOE for you! :shake:

gotsomeold 02-08-2012 09:16 AM

If you use Dr J's website calculator, you will see DD calories rarely go over 450. Dr J suggested a two week induction at 500 calories to kind of ease into semi-fasting on DDs. His intention was, after the two weeks, go down to the calculated DD level - or go below. The lower you can go while having energy and feeling good, the faster the weight loss and health benefits happen.

Some of us JUDDD BUDDDs found 500 calories to be too low at first and started around 700. Many of us gradually dropped that as appetite suppression kicked in. Some of us found we could lose in the 650 - 700 calorie range...and stayed there. Some of us dived into fasting or very, very low calorie - either from DD-One or as a gradual reduction.

I have seen comments on several threads about raising DD calories after induction. That was not the original idea.

1500 calories on UDs divided by 500 calories on DDs = on DD you are eating 1/3 of your UD calories. This is in range for weight loss.

Are you finding it hard to get through 500 cal DDs?

SoHappy 02-08-2012 10:37 AM

I know it sounds really, really counter to everything we are bombarded with here, because most here start out, at least, doing low carb diet plans, but I've come to think that there are some of us who lose weight better at higher carb levels than at lower levels. I'm one of them.

It's as though, despite there being enough calories from proteins and fats, the body somehow still interprets the extended extreme low carbohydrate levels as being the signal that there is a famine out there, and we are at starvation. And then that same body goes all protective on us, and refuses to let go of any of its precious fat stores. :annoyed:

For many of us - while there is some water weight gain associated with eating higher carbs again - that higher carb level never-the-less allows our bodies to, once again, happily hum along and be willing to give up the fat.

I'm not suggesting tons of grains and sugars. But I'm suggesting quite an increase of vegetables and fruits, and maybe some rice. See if your body doesn't start working in a far more normal manner again. I know there are many here who really do sort of castigate most vegetables and fruits. I'm not one of them.

JUDDD will regulate the calorie numbers for you if you actually follow it. That is, know your food portion measurements and count the calories. So that balance between fats and proteins and carbs will still come out where it should, calorie-wise. But for some of us, increasing that carbohydrate portion of the *triad of macro-nutrients* really pays off in nice weight loss.

Good luck to you.

sophiethecat 02-08-2012 11:07 AM

Hi CD, :) I responded on the newbie thread too, but wanted to say that I was losing very slow on LC too, especially toward the end of it. During my LC days, I mostly kept it at 30 g. carbs per day, and toward the end I went down to 20 g. per day hoping to see more loss, which didn't happen.

My body loves having some carbohydrate! :) It doesn't like a very long deprivation of any of the nutrients, be it fat, protein or carbs. It wants some of all of them.

True, I overdid the refined carbs when I first came to JUDDD, just because I was reveling in the fact that I could have anything and still lose weight (as long as my calories were minded, it didn't matter where those calories came from, whether a Big Mac or a Twix bar or bacon and eggs, you see.

But after a while, I started "settling down" on the carbs quite a bit. A couple reasons perhaps: body/mind finally got the message that nothing was off limits again; appetite suppression from JUDDD kicking in. The thought of candy and "junk food" was just losing its appeal. Now it's mostly an occasional thing, or worked into an UD around a lot of whole, healthy foods. I have naturally kind of gravitated to a lowER to moderate carb level for the most part.

As far as increasing your carbs with healthier foods, what about a cup of plain yogurt mixed with berries and/or other fruits; potatoes - either sweet or white; a little rice in a side dish as part of a protein/fat meal. There are also noodles in the International section of the supermarket that are made from rice.

cdwrites 02-08-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15398983)
Lots do LC/VLC on JUDDD and if you do a search here you will find good info about this.

I do have a couple of ?s though. Why don't you eat veggies? Do you have a trouble with them or is this just your choice to not eat them? I found my weight loss really kicked in on JUDDD when I did great DDs filled with good veggies.

Also, I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that you should up your DD calories after the 2 week induction period. I have read the book but maybe it's something I've missed? Most of us start at 500, some like myself, start higher, some start lower than the 500 but most of us haven't raised our DD calories at all, just kept them where we started.

Hope you find JUDDD a good WOE for you! :shake:

Oh, I eat plenty of veggies. I just don't really want to add more and they don't really increase my carbs for the day all the much. Like yesterday on my DD I had the great chicken and cabbage recipe (with cheese) with 3 cups of cabbage. That was a lot of cabbage and was great on the DD. What I am saying is I eat veggies as my primary carb source but I can't eat TONS of veggies. Today, I added a little sweet potato and I might start adding berries. I'm considering white rice as a sometimes possibility. I do miss sushi and we make sashimi at home sometimes so it would be nice to have a little rice those times.

cdwrites 02-08-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15399127)
If you use Dr J's website calculator, you will see DD calories rarely go over 450. Dr J suggested a two week induction at 500 calories to kind of ease into semi-fasting on DDs. His intention was, after the two weeks, go down to the calculated DD level - or go below. The lower you can go while having energy and feeling good, the faster the weight loss and health benefits happen.

Some of us JUDDD BUDDDs found 500 calories to be too low at first and started around 700. Many of us gradually dropped that as appetite suppression kicked in. Some of us found we could lose in the 650 - 700 calorie range...and stayed there. Some of us dived into fasting or very, very low calorie - either from DD-One or as a gradual reduction.

I have seen comments on several threads about raising DD calories after induction. That was not the original idea.

1500 calories on UDs divided by 500 calories on DDs = on DD you are eating 1/3 of your UD calories. This is in range for weight loss.

Are you finding it hard to get through 500 cal DDs?

No not hard to get through the 500 calories, although I seem to go over most days, like to 520 or so. I am not hungry. But when I started this, I believed there was an induction period and that you increased your calories after the two-week period. I don't want to do 500 calorie days for a long time. Maybe for weight loss, but I guess I might be confusing things with maintenance. Maybe that's when you increase the 500 calories. I don't have much to lose at all. I would be happy with 5-8 lbs so I don't plan on doing the 500 calorie thing for long.

cdwrites 02-08-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15399521)
Hi CD, :) I responded on the newbie thread too, but wanted to say that I was losing very slow on LC too, especially toward the end of it. During my LC days, I mostly kept it at 30 g. carbs per day, and toward the end I went down to 20 g. per day hoping to see more loss, which didn't happen.

My body loves having some carbohydrate! :) It doesn't like a very long deprivation of any of the nutrients, be it fat, protein or carbs. It wants some of all of them.

True, I overdid the refined carbs when I first came to JUDDD, just because I was reveling in the fact that I could have anything and still lose weight (as long as my calories were minded, it didn't matter where those calories came from, whether a Big Mac or a Twix bar or bacon and eggs, you see.

But after a while, I started "settling down" on the carbs quite a bit. A couple reasons perhaps: body/mind finally got the message that nothing was off limits again; appetite suppression from JUDDD kicking in. The thought of candy and "junk food" was just losing its appeal. Now it's mostly an occasional thing, or worked into an UD around a lot of whole, healthy foods. I have naturally kind of gravitated to a lowER to moderate carb level for the most part.

As far as increasing your carbs with healthier foods, what about a cup of plain yogurt mixed with berries and/or other fruits; potatoes - either sweet or white; a little rice in a side dish as part of a protein/fat meal. There are also noodles in the International section of the supermarket that are made from rice.

All great ideas to increase carbs. Thanks. I have no desire for any sugar, grains, etc. I haven't even had a cookie in like 2 years. It's unbelievable and amazing to me. I was never a big eater of junk foods, but now I have killed all cravings for it. Although I might be one of those people who needs more carbs, it's an area I need to tread lightly. I'm well aware that if you eat more carbs, you tend to want more and that can then become too many carbs. I am just trying to get around 25-30 for right now. I'm going to take it slow. I have a feeling being so low carb has not been so great for my thyroid and that's why I am having so much trouble just dropping a few pounds. But I don't really have the other symptoms (my temp is fine, my hair looks great, I'm not sluggish except when the kids disturb my sleep, I have great energy, etc.)

b_lou_who 02-08-2012 12:02 PM

I hear you as a long term lowcarber. I have gradually found over the last handful of years (after PCOS diagnosis) that I had to switch eating to whole, organic, nonartificial. I never did my carbs that low (wow, over 15 years ago), I followed early DrAtkins and increased regularly for OWL, but eventually regained (thank you freaking female hormone problems and age) and had to switch to fully real foods. The only "grain" I eat regularly is quinoa (it is actually a seed and my body loves it) and I use beans/peas on a regular basis in small servings. Don't do potatoes. Love sweet potatoes and parsnips couple times a month maybe. Still focus on veggies, sporadic fruits in season, nuts, meats, and I do love cheese but don't eat it every day.
The very low calorie down days have kicked in some beautiful appetite suppression for me. I so look forward to the under 500 cal days.
My understanding from the Dr's website on the dd calories is also that you go down to your calculated number not up after the 500 a day 2 week induction.

DD80 02-08-2012 02:14 PM

I just wanted to add that I used to have the same problem - gainig 2-3 lbs during my period and not losing it. I also had swollen ankles (some days worse than others) and other symptoms. I ended up having thyroid problems. I'd get it checked. Check out the thyroid boards for information. Finding a good endocrinologist is key.

gotsomeold 02-08-2012 04:24 PM

Ah ha! Yep, once you hit maintenance the tradition around here seems to be upping DD calories and tweaking UD calories and tuning overall calories in a desperate attempt to stop losing weight. (I am SO looking forward to my turn :hyst:)

Nigel 02-08-2012 04:30 PM

You could drink your veggies. Make homemade V-8+ juice. It also makes you feel better to drink fresh vegetables. That's my .02 cents worth.

cdwrites 02-08-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD80 (Post 15399980)
I just wanted to add that I used to have the same problem - gainig 2-3 lbs during my period and not losing it. I also had swollen ankles (some days worse than others) and other symptoms. I ended up having thyroid problems. I'd get it checked. Check out the thyroid boards for information. Finding a good endocrinologist is key.

DD80, That's interesting that you that problem with gaining with TOM. What other symptoms of thyroid do you have? I don't seem to have any others, except the inability to lose weight. I am not cold all the time, my body temps are fine, my hair looks great and I'm not losing it, etc. IT's puzzling to me. I will get it check out though. THanks.

DD80 02-09-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdwrites (Post 15400509)
DD80, That's interesting that you that problem with gaining with TOM. What other symptoms of thyroid do you have? I don't seem to have any others, except the inability to lose weight. I am not cold all the time, my body temps are fine, my hair looks great and I'm not losing it, etc. IT's puzzling to me. I will get it check out though. THanks.

I never had the hair loss either...or was cold all the time. I was extremely fatigued - I remember going to pee at work (a few times) and almost falling asleep in the stall and I was already sleeping a lot. The best I can explain "thyroid tired" is it felt like someone poured lead into my body.

I also had a hard time going to the bathroom regularly (maybe once every 3-4 days). I also kept getting sick (actually had a low grade fever all the time) - I think I had systemic yeast (that's another story), so in response to that, I changed my diet, started exercising more, and taking vitamins, and that helped a little with the fatigue, and I lost a little, but then gained it back once I stopped really watching my food.

I also have psoriasis and autoimmune diseases tend to stick together. It took a long time to get diagnosed. Since my TSH was around 3, it was high, but not out of range high (by lab standards). My cortisol was high though, so at first we thought it was my adrenals. My endo decided to treat me because of my symptoms. (He's great!) I feel so much better today.

Anyway, some people don't have many symptoms at all. I'd go get it checked.

cdwrites 02-09-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD80 (Post 15401521)
I never had the hair loss either...or was cold all the time. I was extremely fatigued - I remember going to pee at work (a few times) and almost falling asleep in the stall and I was already sleeping a lot. The best I can explain "thyroid tired" is it felt like someone poured lead into my body.

I also had a hard time going to the bathroom regularly (maybe once every 3-4 days). I also kept getting sick (actually had a low grade fever all the time) - I think I had systemic yeast (that's another story), so in response to that, I changed my diet, started exercising more, and taking vitamins, and that helped a little with the fatigue, and I lost a little, but then gained it back once I stopped really watching my food.

I also have psoriasis and autoimmune diseases tend to stick together. It took a long time to get diagnosed. Since my TSH was around 3, it was high, but not out of range high (by lab standards). My cortisol was high though, so at first we thought it was my adrenals. My endo decided to treat me because of my symptoms. (He's great!) I feel so much better today.

Anyway, some people don't have many symptoms at all. I'd go get it checked.

Sounds like you have a great endo DD80. Did he put you on thyroid meds?

What thyroid boards? Do you mean within Low Carb Friends forum or somewhere else?

Thanks so much.

cdwrites 02-10-2012 09:53 AM

I haven't lost any weight. Whatever I thought I lost last week is back again. And I'm almost done with 2-week induction. Monday I start 3rd week of JUDDD. I'm pretty discouraged :(. Should I go get thyroid checked first? I don't want to mess up thyroid or adrenals more with the DDs?

sophiethecat 02-10-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 15398780)
I love sweet potato and carrots, so I will be adding this on future UD! :love:

Definitely! :) Increasing carbs may even help your weight loss. I know it did for me, Beeb, and I can't remember which others who went from LC to more carbs on JUDDD. We didn't wait, just went ahead and started eating more carbs. You can add the healthier ones back like you mentioned and see how you do. :)

sophiethecat 02-10-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdwrites (Post 15405160)
I haven't lost any weight. Whatever I thought I lost last week is back again. And I'm almost done with 2-week induction. Monday I start 3rd week of JUDDD. I'm pretty discouraged :(. Should I go get thyroid checked first? I don't want to mess up thyroid or adrenals more with the DDs?

Hi CD, I responded to your similar post in the "newbie" thread if you haven't seen it already. Hope you get more help here. And that you don't give up on JUDDD just yet. :hugs:

DD80 02-10-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdwrites (Post 15403292)
Sounds like you have a great endo DD80. Did he put you on thyroid meds?

What thyroid boards? Do you mean within Low Carb Friends forum or somewhere else?

Thanks so much.

I do have a great endo. I am on thyroid meds...a combo of t4 and t3.

There are thyroid boards on low carb friends. Go to the main message board page and scroll down. You'll see it.