Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn1225
Stats: 255/175/145
WOE: Was LC'ing, now JUDDD Newbie
Are there any rules that you follow on an UD?

I'm at a point where I'm going down a check list of questions to find reasons why I'm not losing.

I know some of you have rules regarding your eating habits, at least on DDs, such as a time frame you eat; but what about UDs?

Do you stay in a time frame where you have to eat or don't eat at all? Are there foods that you have too stay away from? Do you stop eating at a certain time? (I usually stop at least 2-3 hours before bed). Do you overeat if you have to in order to make your calorie counts?

Thanks for being patient with me guys
Jenn1225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
I have been experimenting with different "rules" for my up days.

Roughly:

Eat three meals, no snacking
If I eat a sweet, it is with/immediately following lunch or dinner
Only one "party" meal. (bigger meal w/carbs)

On today's up day, I am having two low carb meals. Breakfast is 2 scrambled eggs with bacon and dinner is steak with peppers & onions. Lunch today is my party meal - tacos, rice & beans, with a sweet rice/cinnamon drink called horchata.

Friday night, dh and I are going out to celebrate our anniversary and a new job, so that will be my "party" meal.
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I don't have any set time frame for eating. I used to snack more, and now I try to really "listen" to my hunger signals, and find that if I've eaten a meal with enough protein, I normally will not be hungry again for at least 4 hours, often longer.

During WLM, as long as the calories were in my correct range, I saw a downward trend on the scale (with bouncing of course). It didn't seem to matter where the calories came from.

Some things can cause bloating for me along with jumps on the scale, things like not sleeping well, too much alcohol (those 2 things go together it seems, so I tend to stick to smaller amounts of wine now), being sick, etc.

I usually didn't have a problem getting in my 1700-1800 calories on my UDs in WLM, especially since I had wine on those days most of the time. A 5 oz. glass of red is at least 125 calories, depending on the variety, so that bumps the calories pretty fast. Not recommending you drink if you don't already, just giving an example of myself.

There are different thoughts on "forcing" the UD calories, and I'm in the camp that thinks it's best to get as close as you can on your UDs to your calories as often as you can. There may be times you just don't feel it, so I wouldn't force it, but most of the time I would try to get the calories in. There are several reasons for this.

1. You need to be well fueled to get you through the DD ahead.

2. If you don't maintain a wide spread between UD/DD calories, then this woe starts to become any other low calorie diet day after day, and your body responds accordingly to that. We don't want that. What we want is a boost in metabolism, the ability to eat higher calories if we want sometime in our maintenance, and of course the health benefits of JUDDD that come from the every other day low calories. JUDDD works when the difference between the low calories of the DD and the UDs are contrastingly high... otherwise it starts to blur together into one big regular old low calorie diet.

3. As mentioned above, we want to boost our metabolism, so why not keep the calories high up there regularly on UD so there's more we get to enjoy? And hopefully sometime in maintenance, we find our body has healed enough that we can increase calories even more to enjoy even more foods.

I know ideally Dr. J wants us to eat as much as we want when we want on UDs, but for many, many of us, it doesn't work that simply during WLM. If we went along abiding by the appetite suppression that kicks in on JUDDD, we might start eating very little on UDs. There goes the wide swing in calories.

Or if we're not feeling an appetite suppression, we might eat way, way too many calories on UD all the time. Likely would gain weight.

At least in WLM, if one sticks to their UD calorie limit, they are helping set themselves up to lose the weight, have a proper spread between UD/DD so that JUDDD science can kick in and work for them. Then if they want, they can experiment with ad libitum eating (FDs) during maintenance.

That's my thought on it.

I forget how long you have been doing JUDDD? Can you provide that info, along with your UD/DD calories? Has ANY weight been lost yet?

MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-08-2012 at 06:23 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post
I have been experimenting with different "rules" for my up days.

Roughly:

Eat three meals, no snacking
If I eat a sweet, it is with/immediately following lunch or dinner
Only one "party" meal. (bigger meal w/carbs)

On today's up day, I am having two low carb meals. Breakfast is 2 scrambled eggs with bacon and dinner is steak with peppers & onions. Lunch today is my party meal - tacos, rice & beans, with a sweet rice/cinnamon drink called horchata.

Friday night, dh and I are going out to celebrate our anniversary and a new job, so that will be my "party" meal.
This sounds like a very sensible way to do the plan, LS.

I find I snack much less now, and if I'm going to have a sweet/highly carby food, I prefer it at the end of a large meal too. I think doing both of those are better for my blood sugar overall.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darlingnikki
Stats: start 225/ now 132.2/ goal 125 ??? Height 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD and HCG (not at the same time)
count calories carefully...and exercise
darlingnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I have no rules on UDs aside from doing my best to stay near my calorie ceiling.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
my rule is to stay aware of my calories--If I am going to have dinner out (thai tonight) I tend to keep the daytime cals pretty low--easy to eat 1000 cals at a restaurant--I also do not start eating til after 10 am. For whatever reason, this regulates my eating better than anything else I have found--the longer I delay, the better it goes.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have eliminated snacks. Don't need them. When I dropped the high salt broth on DD's my weight started dropping. So I am watching salt too. And I weigh or measure everything. Too easy to underestimate which ruins a calorie based program.
I still have 3 meals per day regardless of DD or UD. For me that works much better than putting off eating until the end of the day. A HB egg white along with coffee and cream is a filling breakfast for me for DD's. My DD calories are 350 and UD 1750 and I stay below the 350 and hover right around the 1750. It is working for me now but I am open to juggling numbers when it is needed.
I have not added exercise yet.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Just 2 rules on UDs/FDs for me:

I eat ONLY when I'm hungry and I STOP when I'm starting to feel full. Some days I don't start eating until mid day, and stop at midnight. Others I eat B/L/D/S all day long. BUT I don't overeat any way I do it.

That's it! No food restrictions, no time restrictions, no restrictions at all, just listening to my body REALLY well and NOT eating until I know I'm hungry and not eating pass that "I'm full" stage!!

Last edited by Beeb; 02-08-2012 at 08:38 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Well other than counting EVERYTHING, my only rule is that I don't eat anything until about 1pm. Then I have a big lunch, then at around 7-8pm I have a big supper. Then nothing else passes my lips until supper the next day (I only eat one meal on down days).
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I record everything (I weigh in grams for accuracy and measure), I try to never eat after 6pm as a steadfast rule for myself (affects my sleep and eliminates evening snack binges which used to be my downfall), and I just learned to only eat normally on up days, never try to get up to the maximum calculated allowable calories (that made me sick bloated and miserable).
I eat whole real organic food and try to never ever ever eat over 25g sugars total in a day no matter what as a life rule. My body doesn't like or need the sugars.

Last edited by b_lou_who; 02-08-2012 at 11:44 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #12

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm in maintenance these days, so am somewhat more relaxed and not so driven anymore, but when I was losing weight my number one rule was Weigh It, Measure It, Record It... and THEN Eat It. And this rule was every bit as important on my Up Days as it was on my Down Days!

I rarely just eyeballed and guessed.

- - -

I see that your UD number is about 1940 calories. And DDs of 500 or fewer calories would be fine.

If it were me, I'd make both UD and DD meals out of foods that can be measured out easily. And I'd make sure I counted all calories of both days. I wouldn't estimate. I'd actually do the measuring and the counting, etc. And I'd eat at about that 1940 on UDs and not go over, but I'd really try to eat up at about that calorie level. And I'd stick at about 500 or less on DDs.

At the end of 2 weeks, if I had truly done this and still not lost any weight, I'd lower my UD calories by 150 calories and hold the DD number to 500 or fewer, and weigh and measure all my foods for both my UDs and my DDs for another 2 weeks, and see how that did for me.

Because if you are following your calculated numbers on both UDs and DDs, and if you are truly weighing your food portions and measuring your food portions and counting your calories on UP Days as well as the Down Days, so you're not going much over or much under your numbers... and you're still not losing... you're in maintenance.

I don't think this is what will turn out to be the case, but sometimes the calculator gives us a number that is far too high for us. The person standing next to us, same height and same weight and same age, etc. might find the number was perfect for them, but our metabolism is so screwed up that that same number is too high for us. Sad, but true.

And in that case, we have to rely on doing JUDDD and accepting very slow weight loss WHILE we continue doing JUDDD, and having the patience to let JUDDD heal us from within. And then, after awhile, we should be able to expect a bit better weight loss to happen, AND we will be much healthier too.

I know you have been struggling with this. I don't spend nearly as much time here as I have previously been able to, but wanted to join the others here with my thoughts.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Just 2 rules on UDs/FDs for me:

I eat ONLY when I'm hungry and I STOP when I'm starting to feel full. Some days I don't start eating until mid day, and stop at midnight. Others I eat B/L/D/S all day long. BUT I don't overeat any way I do it.

That's it! No food restrictions, no time restrictions, no restrictions at all, just listening to my body REALLY well and NOT eating until I know I'm hungry and not eating pass that "I'm full" stage!!
My bad!! Actually should stress that this is what I do in maintenance now, but during my weight loss journey I measured, counted and planned all my UDs, to the exact calorie. It was easier, and safer for me that way and it kept me "honest" about how many calories I really was eating!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #14

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/138/130-135
I track my calories. Before maintenance, I was very specific, using ******. Now while in maintenance I am a little more lax, as in, sometimes I eyeball it(and track in my head), etc. If this stops working for me, I will go back to more specific tracking. If you are trying to lose, it is my opinion, that it IS crucial to track calories. On both UD's and DD's I try to have the majority of my eating done early as in around 4pm. I know that doesn't work for everyone. If I eat in the evening it is a light snack.

The BEACH is my HAPPY PLACE.

Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
My bad!! Actually should stress that this is what I do in maintenance now, but during my weight loss journey I measured, counted and planned all my UDs, to the exact calorie. It was easier, and safer for me that way and it kept me "honest" about how many calories I really was eating!
I actually should have said this too - that during WLM, I definitely tracked! I used ******, and would preplan as well as I could what I was going to have on both UDs and DDs.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
This probably does not apply to many people, but I looked over my 'journey to health' notes and found for me artificial sweeteners are a guaranteed stall. I tried them three times when on lc, and four times on JUDDD. Each time weight loss stopped for several days. On JUDDD, when I want something sweet, I allocate the calories and gobble the real thing.

I remember on another thread someone suggested you up DD calories to 500. Have you tried that? Some of us can fast or eat very, very low cal on DDs. But some of us have metabolisms that need more to work with.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-09-2012 at 03:19 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
For me, even on UP days, if I'm eating carby food it has to be breakfast or dinner, no later and not as supper.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote