Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   One week into JUDDD and-- (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/756585-one-week-into-juddd.html)

b_lou_who 02-06-2012 12:51 PM

One week into JUDDD and--

I did three down days last week at right about 465cal each (just worked out that way). Lost 3.8 pounds total after the third DD.

Only averaged 1600-1700cal each UD, which is just me eating normally but weighing, measuring, and recording every single thing so I could be accurate.

I eat whole, organic food, nothing artificial, and I seem to keep around 100g carb daily without restricting. I drink tons of water, deliberately had an ounce of alcohol only once with no measurable affect on loss the next day. I don't deduct fiber or do any other fuzzy math, but I work hard to keep sugars under 25g a day no matter what. I do light exercise every day, at least 20 min, but can have an hour or more walking thrown in randomly.

Had my fourth UD yesterday and tried to deliberately get to the 2100cal the JUDDD calculator said I should be eating, managed 2076 and quit eating by 6pm as is my habit. It was really fat and carbs that were up, only a few more grams of protein than usual. Horrible acid/food reflux all evening, waking me repeatedly up at night. Still bloated and miserable and up 1.8 pounds today.

QUESTION: is this normal? I know starting a new "diet" can have variation, but this seems remarkably extreme to "regain" half of the loss in a single day with only a few hundred calories difference.

I think I will stick with my usual eating habits and not try to eat UP to the calculator. I also think after these first two weeks I will only weigh once a week after a DD as recommended.

adillenal 02-06-2012 01:02 PM

In the book, Dr. J mentions he did not intend for people to force themselves to eat UP to an UD number. Just eating normal. DOn't have my book with me or I would type his quote.

b_lou_who 02-06-2012 01:10 PM

I really need to find the book. It ticks me off that the kindle version is several dollars more than paper on the website that sells such things. Anyone know of another source besides not-so-amaz*n?

KeirasMom 02-06-2012 02:25 PM

Several people said they checked it out of their local library. You could try there. :dunno:

marley 02-06-2012 02:45 PM

I got my paper copy of the book for $13 (Australian - so it will be very similar in USD) from Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository - they have free shipping, and they're fast!

jem51 02-06-2012 04:59 PM

I had a miserable night last week after upping carbs and thought 'never again'.
I, too, will stick to my 'normal' woe on UD's.

adillenal 02-06-2012 05:12 PM

I bought my book from half.com. And I always like to read the actual information just so I have everything straight in my mind. I also reread a little bit every night just so I don't forget or I can glean another nugget from the pages. I know I am a dork in that respect.

It was less than $3.00. The postage was more than the book. I think half.com is a part of ebay

gotsomeold 02-07-2012 06:27 AM

The scale, she bounces! And eating more carbs than you are used to can definitely cause a bounce. NBD, over time you will either get used to the bounces and/or learn how to eat around them and/or they will smooth out.

The first three days your DD was roughly 1/4 of your UD calories. Many people find that to be a good pattern for weight loss. If you feel you need to increase UD calories, I encourage you to walk them up gradually (the same way many of us start with higher DDs then walk them down). Adding 100ish calories/UD is less disruptive to the body and to the mind.

Gracie514 02-07-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 15393877)
In the book, Dr. J mentions he did not intend for people to force themselves to eat UP to an UD number. Just eating normal. DOn't have my book with me or I would type his quote.

^^^^ This is exactly what Dr. J says. You do not have to eat to your UD number - eat until satisfied. And, honestly there is no way you gained 1.8#s of fat - the scale lies after an UD - that is why you're not supposed to weigh after an UD :laugh: You would've had to eat 6,300 calories over your normal calories to really gain 1.8 lbs. of fat. I weigh once a week after a DD to get an accurate account of the week. Relax, you are doing fantastic!

b_lou_who 02-07-2012 09:03 AM

I really want a digital copy of the book, guess I just have to pay amaz*ns price since that is where Dr Johnson is selling it.

I absolutely don't buy the calories=pounds thing, it is so not true, especially for the insulin challenged with endocrine disease like PCOS...hardly a relationship. I can lose on 1800cal a day and have gained significant poundage on regulated "balanced" 800cal a day. I'm not a hardcore uberlowcarb fanatic, I do eat what for me are healthy amounts of good whole food carbs with no junk. I don't eat out. I haven't eaten fast or junk food for YEARS now.
I think JUDDD works because of the beneficial effects of intermittent fasting on the whole body systems, and that overeating with carbs is the real killer out there.
Most of that up day weight spike came off after dd yesterday. As I said, I will move to only weighing after a down day once this induction period is over, but I really do want to see the daily results right now.
First week I was losing on both up and down days.