Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
My Mom is doing JUDDD and so happy with it! :)

She's been doing JUDDD, loosely at first - closer now - for about 4 weeks now. I think her UDs are 1400-1500 calories. She mostly "eyeballs" portions, but she has stuck with the UD/DD rotation no matter what, and she's lost some weight. She doesn't mind a loss of a pound or so per week as long as the trend is downward. She's around 158# today. Started around 162#. Hoping to see the 140s. She's 5'3" and 68 years. She only weighs about 1x per week.

She is thrilled with this woe. I saw her today and she looked a little slimmer and yet more vibrant too... happier? She doesn't think her WL would be visible with just a few pounds, but I told her she might be losing in measurements too. But I could tell she is so happy with this woe! It was cool to see her looking and feeling so much better than before. She has RA and I would love to see this woe relieve at least some of her pain.

When she walked in she smiled and asked me "What day is it for you?" (Meaning an UD or DD). I helped her "eyeball" her portions today at the bday party here for my youngest DS. (It's an UD for her). She was able to eat some of everything and had bday cake and a little ice cream too. This is so doable for her. I think she's just so happy she doesn't have to give up any foods like on a regular diet.

She said she's been carrying around a candy bar in her purse since last Tuesday but she never feels like eating it. And I know my Mom, normally she would have ate it right away just because "it was there." I told her she could eat it on an UD if she wanted, but I think she's just so pleased that she feels some control now that she keeps saving it for when she really feels like it, but it just hasn't happened yet.

She spoke positively today about how her appetite overall has lessened, something pretty much every one of us here experiences eventually on JUDDD. She listened intently as I went over the basics again about the sirtuins and benefits of CR.

She encouraged my brother to get going on the diet too! (He was looking over his calorie counter on his phone, listening to us, and told us he's gained a number of pounds he wants to lose.) I also encouraged him to look up the diet online and also gave him the gist of it.

I am just real proud of my Mom. She's not always easy to get going on something like this, and like all of us, has to come around when she's ready. I never pushed, just casually mentioned JUDDD when she'd bring up my weight loss. For the last few months, she'd watched me lose weight and would say, "I need to do what you're doing," and other times, "I'm going to have you tell me about this diet you're on one of these days." Finally she was ready to hear it and do it, and she has.

Just wanted to share
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-05-2012 at 02:26 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Such a sweet story- blessings to you both!
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
WTG for you and your mom. How exciting!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
That is great! My mom went Paleo shortly after I did (and her dh too). And she's lost 36 or so pounds. She got really sick with vertigo a couple of months ago, and just had to eat whatever she could keep down, so gained about 7 pounds back. But she's getting back on plan and losing again. I haven't shared JUDDD yet, since the results for me are still somewhat mixed.

It's good to see her and her dh getting healthy. I'm sure you feel the same about your Mom.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I love it!!

I'll be interested in how her RA responds.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
YAY! SO happy for you and for her!
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #7

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
It is such fun doing this with someone. My 10 weeks sharing UD/DDs with Vicky were just brilliant and really helped throughout the holidays and our week's vacation.

I miss having her input now that she is back in Australia, but meet on here daily!

I am only 3 years or so behind your mother, and I think this a wonderful woe for we older ladies.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
That is wonderful Sophie!!! Im glad she is loving it as much as we are. She needs to get on here with us!!!
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
How wonderful for your mom! It's cute that she wants to know what day you are on. I know she will have lots of success. I know I would be eating that candy bar! She has more control than I do!

What a great daughter you are...
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
How wonderful is that?!?!

I know, for myself, as a 71 year young senior, JUDDD has been the most comfortable woe I've been on in a very very long while.

Been JUDDDing for about 4 months now, and the ease and success I've experienced makes me feel quite grateful that I found it.

Kudos to your mom! Have her join us here! She will certainly not be alone in the 'senior' range!!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
How fun. And know u r loving it.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
She's doing great! Keep updating us on her progress!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you, guys! She has a computer but she doesn't use it a lot and never gets on forums or FB or anything like that, but I will definitely share the encouragement and well wishes you've given her, and will keep you updated!

I remember growing up, now and then she would come home from work with another diet plan that was being done and shared by the women she worked with. I remember a grapefruit diet, a cabbage diet, and other fads that came and went.

She was never a "large" person, but was always weight-conscious and wanting to lose more pounds. I think it was partly from remembering how tiny she was when she got married/before kids - - - and partly from the "peer pressure" (for lack of better word) amongst the women she worked with. It was mostly women working there, and while it was friendly, they were always, always dieting together with the latest fad diets and trying to lose weight.

She's long retired from that job, though still very active. But she had gained the most she ever had over the last couple years, probably 30 - 40 pounds more than she wanted. I think a lot of it had to do with unrestricted eating of refined carbs (like me, cookies are her biggest downfall!!).

Anway, thanks again, and I'm hoping to be able to post more of her success in the coming weeks/months. I'm just so proud of her for sticking with this and giving it a try in the first place. She is just really happy to be losing anything at all on a diet that lets her eat whatever she wants!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Thank you, guys! She has a computer but she doesn't use it a lot and never gets on forums or FB or anything like that, but I will definitely share the encouragement and well wishes you've given her, and will keep you updated!

I remember growing up, now and then she would come home from work with another diet plan that was being done and shared by the women she worked with. I remember a grapefruit diet, a cabbage diet, and other fads that came and went.

She was never a "large" person, but was always weight-conscious and wanting to lose more pounds. I think it was partly from remembering how tiny she was when she got married/before kids - - - and partly from the "peer pressure" (for lack of better word) amongst the women she worked with. It was mostly women working there, and while it was friendly, they were always, always dieting together with the latest fad diets and trying to lose weight.

She's long retired from that job, though still very active. But she had gained the most she ever had over the last couple years, probably 30 - 40 pounds more than she wanted. I think a lot of it had to do with unrestricted eating of refined carbs (like me, cookies are her biggest downfall!!).

Anway, thanks again, and I'm hoping to be able to post more of her success in the coming weeks/months. I'm just so proud of her for sticking with this and giving it a try in the first place. She is just really happy to be losing anything at all on a diet that lets her eat whatever she wants!
MMMMMMmmmm coooookies I identify with the cookie monster. I think we were separated at birth.

I'm glad your mom is really liking AND succeeding at this. As a lifetime "dieter," I really relate to her story. I look back on my life and can't believe that I've really "tried them all." I'm 31. Why haven't I learned how to eat yet? I am really hoping to find that in JUDDD. You (and your mom) are inspirational.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Yay for mom!!! I'm 56 yrs and 5'3"--close to mom. But I started at 157 and am down to 142 now. I still have 15-20 to go, so tell mom she'll get there! I lost quickly at first, then slowly because I was not following to a tee; now quickly again because I'm back on track.
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

I was talking to Mom on the phone tonight and she's finishing up a DD today, same as me.

It's interesting that even though she doesn't have the benefit of the forum holding her hand (like I did/do!) she is instinctively doing this so well!

She seems different in a good way I noticed since yesterday and today when talking to her - she's just overall calmer about things. This is so unlike her... I don't remember her being this way my whole life, and I hope I'm not attributing too much to JUDDD! It's just that my Mom has always been a worrier, a real nervous, anxious type, and I'm seeing a new side to her. I hope this continues for her! She just seems happier, more peaceful.

Also, JEM - I mentioned to her tonight that she might notice improvement in her aching joints eventually, and she immediately DID say she has been feeling a little better! This may have a great deal to do with her better moods. She's always taken powerful medicines for her RA, but this is the first time I've heard her say she's feeling better in, I don't know - years? Ever since she was Dx? It's too early to hope so hard, but I can't help it... I'm really hoping this woe makes a difference for her pain! And it seems like it is!

She is becoming somewhat of an ambassador for JUDDD, lol. She told me she talked with a friend who is wanting to lose weight and she told her about JUDDD. Her friend is not sure though, since she told Mom her "thyroid is messed up and can't lose weight at all", but I think she is seeking treatment for that.

Mom also said she hopes my brother gets on JUDDD - that she thinks he would like it and would do well. I told her he will probably come around to trying it once he gets time to read up on it.

Before we got off the phone, I told her to enjoy her UD tomorrow.

Thanks for all your support, guys. I will read her your posts when I get the chance to visit her next weekend.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-06-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Old 02-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
The family that JUDDDs together ...... scrambles to coordinate UDs during family reunions.

Sophie, that is wonderful news! Especially if a healing body and a feeling of being in control is giving your mother peace.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Nancy, everyone.

I talked to her earlier, and she said she had "taco in a bag" Tuesday night (UD) at a ballgame and that Zero bar she's been carrying in her purse for a week.

She said the candy bar wasn't nearly as good as she'd thought it would be since she seems to be less into sweets now since starting JUDDD, and it just tasted "too sweet" and kinda made her a little sick. So the idea of it was better than the actual taste of it. I know how that is, lol.

Also she mentioned how there's still all that Christmas candy and junk food sitting around but she has no real desire for it anymore. She said she'll glance at it and think 'well it's there if I want it' but she just doesn't seem to want it even though she can have it if she wants on JUDDD. lol.

She hasn't weighed since Sunday and said she's glad she doesn't have a set of scales anymore (she weighs when she visits her Mom now and then). She laughed and said that otherwise if she still had scales she would probably be hopping on them multiple times per day to obsess over the numbers.

She still sounded very positive, upbeat about the diet and everything else. I really do think she's experiencing that "well being" so many of us come to have on JUDDD.

She had her first MD yesterday after I told her how to do it since she had something coming up in the evening that required more calories than her DD would allow. She's on an UD today which works great because there's a banquet this evening.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Saw her last night for a little while at my nephew's house for his bday cake and ice cream.

She was on a DD and hungry and said she had something she was going to eat when she got home. I told her she could take some of the cake home for tomorrow, but since it was an ice cream cake, she didn't want to. So I scooped her out a few bites worth of the best parts of it and she got to enjoy that.

She said she's lost another pound in the week since she last weighed, so down to 157#. Slow loss, but she's still happy with JUDDD. It seems to suit her well.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Find a way to get her on this forum!! Mother/daughter teams are so much fun!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Maybe one of these days she will get on at least to read, but I don't look for her to join up and post... who knows though - she may surprise me!

Saw her again a little while ago while eating my DD lunch. She is on an UD and just went to a "tea party" with friends. Sounds like it was a nice mix of little sandwiches and proteins, fruits, sweets with the tea.

I copied down the basic cabbage skillet recipe for her and she took it home. I was eating today's incarnation of the dish while we talked. She will see how easy and variable it can be and won't even need the recipe.

I think her DDs have been kinda hard, and I told her to increase the protein, which she thinks will help. She's been having a little too many carby things on DD I believe, which was stimulating appetite. I also showed her the Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe bar which I eat sometimes on DD with some coffee or tea.

Well, we'll see how she's doing next time I see her, probably on the weekend.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Mom is still JUDDDg along and so happy with it. She's down to 155# at last weigh (and that was with clothes and shoes!!) Don't ask my why she weighs with clothes, shoes, and sometimes a coat on best I can figure, I think she is just looking for a "ballpark figure" when she weighs without getting fixated on a single number. At any rate, JUDDD is working for her!!!

She can scarcely believe it and is happy with this woe. She is thrilled with being able to eat whatever she wants, only dieting every other day, having reduced craving for sweets, not strictly tracking and counting calories and yet losing weight, so thrilled that she is happy as a peach with her "slow" weight loss!!!

Unfortuntely, we are both going through a difficult time right now with my Dad (her husband) just going into the hospital and needing surgery tomorrow.

This barely seems important to mention at this point with what's going on with my Dad, but for the sake of the JUDDD forum and showing how it can work with REAL LIFE, I'll mention that I'm going to do MUDDDg for a while to come... my way of doing it is "no-brainer" and I won't have to stress or worry about keeping to the strict rotation that way. Mom is happy to continue her regular JUDDD rotation as well as she can and will bring food to the hospital tomorrow to help with her DD.

On a humorous note, when the intake staff at the hospital were asking Dad what he'd had to eat that day, he kinda laughed and said, "nothing, it's my DOWN DAY". He was joking - he's thin and not on any diet. Of course nobody on staff got it, but I laughed because I knew it came from Mom's talk about JUDDD at home

I probably won't be posting much lately, but wanted to say I you guys, my JUDDD buds!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-21-2012 at 08:50 PM..
Old 02-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Hugs to you Sophie! Hope all works out well!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When you can, please let us know how the surgery goes. You and your parents are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/169/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
that you're all doing well, Sophie.
Alcestis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
Your Dad sounds like a hoot! His Down Day! hee hee

Good luck to him and to you today! Hope everything works out well!
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Good vibes being sent to your family!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #28

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I'm sending you my warmest wishes and best energy for a great outcome!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Sophie, my thoughts are with you and your family. Hope everything turns out good. Please take care!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I just got thru reading all this thread. I love it. It sounds like you have a wonderful family. Best wishes to you all
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote