Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Anyone Tried Kelp Noodles? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/756376-anyone-tried-kelp-noodles.html)

fleur 02-04-2012 11:37 PM

Anyone Tried Kelp Noodles?

I've just come across the mention of Kelp Noodles in the recipe thread, so now I have a recipe using them, and info on where to shop. Anyone who's tried them care to share what the taste/texture is like? I may have to get over to Whole Foods to get some on my DD tomorrow.

Kissa 02-05-2012 05:06 AM

Never heard of them, interesting.

mttemple4 02-05-2012 05:29 AM

I want to try them as well but couldn't find them at Whole Foods or my local Japanese market. I think a bigger Asian market would surely have them. You can also find them online and the brand I've seen is Sea Tangle.

KeirasMom 02-05-2012 05:47 AM

At Whole Foods, they are in the Asian foods aisle where the dried noodles are. In my Whole Foods, they are on the bottom shelf at the very end, easy to miss.

My experience wasn't good. They tasted pretty decent, have a kind of crunchy texture, but made my tummy very upset. I do fine with shirataki, so I don't think it's an issue with the fiber. :dunno:

vilanteira 02-05-2012 10:06 AM

Yes, I eat them from time to time on DDs, because I can't have shirataki noodles for some reason as they cause crazy bloating and digestive issues. I use them the same way everyone uses shirataki noodles for, but the texture is different. They're sort of crunchier but with enough heat and the more you cook them, the softer they get. I'll keep them crunchier if I eat them in salads, and other times I'll stir-fry them until they're soft and more like shirataki texture. The ones I get are the Sea Tangle brand and they're completely tasteless and odorless (which is nice since some shirataki have a bit of a fishy scent).

Dottie 02-05-2012 10:11 AM

I tried them and hated them.

fleur 02-05-2012 10:08 PM

I was anxious to try shiratake (the non soy ones) after being told they were like rice noodles-which I LOVE. But am disappointed at how the texture has no "give" to it. A bit rubbery. I've only cooked them by stir frying. I wonder if they'd get softer if simmered in liquid.

KeirasMom 02-06-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleur (Post 15392130)
I was anxious to try shiratake (the non soy ones) after being told they were like rice noodles-which I LOVE. But am disappointed at how the texture has no "give" to it. A bit rubbery. I've only cooked them by stir frying. I wonder if they'd get softer if simmered in liquid.

If you rinse them really well, then drain and blot--really get all the extra moisture out of them, then dry fry them in a hot pan for a couple minutes, the texture changes quite a bit. They get much softer.

I dry fry them if I'm going to use them as a noodle base (like pasta) but I just rinse them and throw them in broth if I'm using them in soup. I actually like the rubbery texture in a spicy Asian broth.

fleur 02-09-2012 08:37 PM

Thanks, Dawn. Since I've got 2 more packages in the fridge, I may as well continue experimenting. I'm just thinking some fresh bean sprouts would go nicely with those.