Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Teens on JUDDD?

Hello all! Our family has successfully used the hcg protocol. For phase 3 and maintenance we eat raw and fermented dairy from our own grass fed only Jersey herd along with Paleo, and limited fermented grains (Nourishing Traditions). I'm currently on my last round of hcg at quickly approaching my goal weight. My husband recently reached goal and is maintaining beautifully.

My teens have done the hcg protocol too. My teen daughter will wrap up her final round in a little over a week but is not quite at goal, so she is considering dong the JUDDD.

My teen son has issues with food portion control and quit his third round early due to cheating constantly. His weight is creeping up which is no great surprise. I explained the JUDDD to him and he wants to give it a try. He is still considered Obese is 5'8" and 14 yrs old weighing 190. The JUDDD calculator has him at about 2400 for an up day and we will start with 500 for the down days for the first 2 weeks, then increase his down days to 600-660. His weight keeps him from participating in sports and limits his ability to function on the farm. He wants to play football in the fall and wants to be a useful player... so we are trying to help him lose fat and eventually build muscle, both of which I believe can safely happen with the JUDDD.

Have any of you used this WOE with your teens? We are not out to make our teens "skinny". BUT we are trying to help them to identify their food issues and help them to find a healthy food balance. We have 6 children total... our two teens are the only ones that were/are obese. Our other children are normal/under weight. Our family has undergone MANY food choice changes over the past 6 years. We went from typical garbage eaters to more of a nourishing approach to over the past year turning grain free, sugar free, etc, basically Lacto-paleo.

I'd appreciate any input you may have for us as we try to help our teens use this WOE to continue to lose and for my daughter maintain a healthy weight if needed. On a side note... I too am considering JUDDD if I don't reach my goal weight by the time my VLCD/hcg days are over.

I've enjoyed reading your experiences and look forward to continuing to do so.
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Welcome to the Forum Shirley!
I have no children, so I have no advice to offer in particular, I have 3 adult nieces and nephews who think I'm weird, and I'd love for them to eat healthier, but you are blessed to have children who themselves are concerned about their health so I think you have a greater chance of compliance right there.

Some general Kid advice for food is let them help with the shopping and the preparing of the food, this is good even for the younger children.

With JUDDD the down days can be a challenge for some and easy peasy for others, depending on how satisfied they feel. Having them plan their menus the day before with a calculator like ****** can help them see how some things may be more filling by volume, like veggies and soup, while other foods are more filling by calories like fat and protein and their satisfaction will depend on having choices in either. It's fun to play around and see what the calories come to, and then to go into the kitchen to see how much food that actually is. Having finished HCG Protocol this will not be as much as an eye opener as it would be to kids on a SAD diet. So another advantage.

The think most people seem to say about JUDDD is how they go "crazy with the carbs" because they can get away with it. Again, coming off of HCG, and needing to avoid the carbs, should be easier for them, especially with the family diet being sugar free already.

Wow, It looks like you've already got all your eggs in a basket, I'm jealous of you. You should be coming here to post your story for the rest of US to follow!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
WWC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
I have teens and would not let them do JUDDD as they are still growing. My one Dd is slightly overweight and is currently working on lowering sugar consumption and watching portion sizes as well as increasing her activiity levels. Good luck.
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

My son and I are working on a page that has all the foods we typically eat listed out by serving size or ounce so he can measure and plan his foods for down days and up days. Hopefully this will help him to take ownership and enjoy the process. HE NEEDS to do the figuring b/c he needs to learn what a serving size is and how his portion sizes are effecting his health.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #5

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
When I did HCG it was very educational seeing how the numbers on the paper actually looked when it was on a plate. My digital kitchen scale is my favorite kitchen tool.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
this was discussed recently:
Good diet for teens?

ETA:
Would you consider doing a 50% DD for your son?
1200 calories per day would give him enough calories for good nutrition but would still be low enough to teach him about portion control.
(I have a 17yo boy and I wouldn't put him on a 500-calorie-a-day diet!)

I think a good step with teens (as I suggested on the other thread) is to first have him journal all his food for a week,
without calculating calories, so that he can learn to observe his eating habits and be honest about his portion sizes.
At the end of the week, calculate the calories.
If he is going over 2400 calories per day, then get him used to eating that much for a week (without DDs).
That alone might be enough to start weight loss.
Then see if he wants to do a lower % every other day. It could even be just slightly lower, like 90% or 75%.
For a male, especially a teen, that might be enough to make a difference!

I do think it can be a good idea to give children a healthy, supportive experience with an effective weight-loss plan, in case they need it later in life.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 02-04-2012 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: ETA
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Wasn't he already doing 500 calories a day doing HCG though? Isn't that also very very low calorie but for weeks at a time instead of every other day?
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Yes, he completed a 40 day round of hcg/VLCD and a 21 day round VLCD/hcg. That means he followed the 500 cal diet while taking the hcg. His third round was the bomb... couldn't stick with it without cheating. I believe he cheated throughout most of his first two rounds too. Anyway, He wants what he wants... food everything and anything. We actually thought the kid was Prader Willie, b/c he steals food, hides it, is a compulsive eater, etc. He has many other compulsive issues. His weight pre-hcg was 220. His weight is debilitating for him... he ended up with slipped capital femoral epiphicious on both hips surgery last winter. He will have the pins out this spring. BUT he wants to play football and wants to not be the slowest kid on the team like last year. So... he is willing to try. I'm hoping that since he will be able to chose his foods based on their caloric value he will stick with it. Time will tell...

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I'll have a look. :-)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Just let him know though that if he eats 2400 of crap he will be starving on his down days. You can choose your food within the calories but he needs to make sure it's not just a carbfest and actually has some protein to keep him full.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

We actually do not eat many if any carbs in the form of starch, grains and sugars. He knows those things will have to remain occasional. He loves his protein, fat, veggies and some fruit, along with our raw kefir or raw cream. I really do appreciate that reminder as it does re-enforce what I already told him. :-) Love it when mom is right! :-)
Old 02-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #11

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleychef View Post
Yes, he completed a 40 day round of hcg/VLCD and a 21 day round VLCD/hcg. That means he followed the 500 cal diet while taking the hcg. His third round was the bomb... couldn't stick with it without cheating. I believe he cheated throughout most of his first two rounds too. Anyway, He wants what he wants... food everything and anything. We actually thought the kid was Prader Willie, b/c he steals food, hides it, is a compulsive eater, etc. He has many other compulsive issues. His weight pre-hcg was 220. His weight is debilitating for him... he ended up with slipped capital femoral epiphicious on both hips surgery last winter. He will have the pins out this spring. BUT he wants to play football and wants to not be the slowest kid on the team like last year. So... he is willing to try. I'm hoping that since he will be able to chose his foods based on their caloric value he will stick with it. Time will tell...

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I'll have a look. :-)
I wouldn't have him start JUDDD based on the bold comments. This is not a plan for disordered eaters. It can actually intensify the compulsion to binge/purge. Some here who come from disordered eating pasts have been able to control and even improve their compulsions, but he's so young, and image is everything at that age, I really don't feel it's fair to put him into a situation which could intensify his negative relationship with food. I'm not trying to be the voice of doom and gloom, and I very well could be wrong, but I just want to get a dissenting opinion out there.

I have a child with OCD so I know how quickly things can spiral. My daughter's only 7, so her issues are things like when she learned to snap her fingers, she did it over and over until they were bleeding. That kind of thing.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #12
WWC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
I am going to be a bit blunt here, but I'm coming from a good place (I promise.)

I was a slightly overweight kid (especially compared to my siblings.) My mom had me on various diets from a very young age. As a teen, I hoarded food and cheated on my diets and yo-yo'd to quite higher weights and lower weights. It was an ongoing bone of contention between my mom and I. It became a power and control issue. The tone of your posts, "he cheated his way through" "he wants what he wants" conveys a lot of frustration and almost disgust with his eating/food issues.

I understand that he needs to get his weight down because of health issues and that he wants to for football. Those are very good reasons. My advice is to take yourself out of the picture. Support him in his efforts (perhaps a nutritionist or a trainer,) but back off. Let him lead the way here. At 14, calorie restrictions to 500 calories should be supervised by a doctor. You want to set him up for long term success in weight/health control instead of binging and restriction cycles.

I hope I didn't overstep. I know that is a lot more than you asked for in your post.
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote