Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   My son just said... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/756291-my-son-just-said.html)

lil miss 02-04-2012 08:47 AM

My son just said...

"Hey Mom, since you have been diagnosed with all these food allergies and cant eat many foods how come you havent lost a lot of weight?"

:dunno:

:cry::cry::cry:

I would like to know the same thing. But gosh that made me feel bad!

I am allergic to: wheat, soy, peanut, garlic and onion
Also have oral allergy syndrome [meaning cannot eat them raw or even slightly undercooked] to broccoli, pineapple, squash, banana and lord, I cant even remember them all!

The oral allergy stuff isnt too bad, but garlic and onion? That kills me, they're in everything! There is onion powder in egg beaters! :down:

KeirasMom 02-04-2012 09:00 AM

:console:
I'm sorry.

lil miss 02-04-2012 09:02 AM

Outta the mouths of babes..

He wasnt trying to be cruel, just "wondering"

mykidsteacher 02-04-2012 09:04 AM

I'm so sorry. Food allergies are horrible. My 5 yo has multiple ones as well, probably more that I don't know about since we found the ones she has based on elimination. Going to take her in for an allergy panel soon.

theredhead 02-04-2012 09:57 AM

Lil Miss, how were you diagnosed with those food allergies? Were you tested for them or did you just do elimination? My DD23 suffered terribly for many years with apparent food allergies. We had her tested and she was allergic to wheat, gluten, and all dairy. All of her symptoms were gastrointestinal. I'm happy to report that after completely eliminating wheat and gluten from her diet for six months, she was able to eat them again without pain, slowly, of course. It took a couple of more years with her dairy allergy, but she's also been able to reintroduce that, too. Now she eats pizza and ice cream with no problem.

In some of my research, I ran across instances of this where taking the offending food out of the diet for a period of time enabled the person to reintroduce them at some time in the future. I'm sure it doesn't happen that way for everyone, but I thought it was encouraging that it happened to my DD. Those foods always gave her diarrhea and occasionally made her vomit. It sure made high school and most of college no fun, lol!

I hope things'll get better for you. :console:

lil miss 02-04-2012 12:37 PM

Fortunately for me, my response is GI distress and not anaphalyxsis. Garlic and onion I was able to figure out bc I would get violently ill after eating out and I always ordered extra onion on everything so I finally figured that out. :stars:

But, I kept getting sick on and off even when avoiding onion and garlic [which is hard as they are in everything]. :annoyed:

After testing by numerous MDs and ruling out lots of stuff...

I had patch testing done. They even tested garlic and onion and it came back negative! I burst into tears, figuring I must have stomach cancer or something, bc why else would this be happening? Last step, testing my blood for allergic reactions and low and behold we discovered wheat, soy and peanut. And dont you know that for the first time in OVER 3 YEARS, I am not having horrible tummy issues. ? I feel SO blessed to finally have a "fix," but do get bummed ie at kids soccer party when I cant have slice of pizza, or birthday cake etc. Small sacrifice for one's health though, I get that. ;)

The allergies were just confirmed a couple of months ago and so my family is still adjusting to what I cant eat and restaurants I really cant go to, etc. That's how my son's comment came up, he was saying, gosh, there's so much you cant eat anymore...

Every once in awhile, I eat a teeny bit of baguette or something and dont get sick and I get delirious that maybe it was a false positive and then get violently ill and spend 4-5 days in the bathroom. :sick:

So, my system is probably still healing from 3 year + of being traumatized by me ingesting things I shouldnt have been and I hope it is healing enough that I can drop weight and maybe eventually, like your DD, I can reintroduce things! :jumpjoy:

sophiethecat 02-04-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil miss (Post 15389227)
I hope it is healing enough that I can drop weight and maybe eventually, like your DD, I can reintroduce things! :jumpjoy:

Hoping this for you, lilmiss!! :hugs::up:

Kissa 02-05-2012 05:10 AM

:console: Tough call. So difficult for you.

theredhead 02-05-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil miss (Post 15389227)
Fortunately for me, my response is GI distress and not anaphalyxsis. Garlic and onion I was able to figure out bc I would get violently ill after eating out and I always ordered extra onion on everything so I finally figured that out. :stars:

But, I kept getting sick on and off even when avoiding onion and garlic [which is hard as they are in everything]. :annoyed:

After testing by numerous MDs and ruling out lots of stuff...

I had patch testing done. They even tested garlic and onion and it came back negative! I burst into tears, figuring I must have stomach cancer or something, bc why else would this be happening? Last step, testing my blood for allergic reactions and low and behold we discovered wheat, soy and peanut. And dont you know that for the first time in OVER 3 YEARS, I am not having horrible tummy issues. ? I feel SO blessed to finally have a "fix," but do get bummed ie at kids soccer party when I cant have slice of pizza, or birthday cake etc. Small sacrifice for one's health though, I get that. ;)

The allergies were just confirmed a couple of months ago and so my family is still adjusting to what I cant eat and restaurants I really cant go to, etc. That's how my son's comment came up, he was saying, gosh, there's so much you cant eat anymore...

Every once in awhile, I eat a teeny bit of baguette or something and dont get sick and I get delirious that maybe it was a false positive and then get violently ill and spend 4-5 days in the bathroom. :sick:

So, my system is probably still healing from 3 year + of being traumatized by me ingesting things I shouldnt have been and I hope it is healing enough that I can drop weight and maybe eventually, like your DD, I can reintroduce things! :jumpjoy:

Wow, that's really tough on you. But it sure reminds DD. I forgot to mention one other thing she uses that she really thinks helps. She takes Charcoal Capsules with meals. I bought them from Pilgrim's Pride when they were having their Buy 2 Get 3 Free deals, so they're cheap.

I hope that by avoiding these things for a goodly period of time, perhaps someday you can have them again. I'll cross my fingers for you.

Star73 02-05-2012 07:00 AM

awww...kids are so honest..sometimes to a fault lol...

Are you eating the G-free products out there? I just read Wheat Belly and while going wheat free is great, there are lots of products out there such as gluten free bread and waffles, etc and they can pack on the pounds even more so than the regular breads. Maybe just sticking with meats, veggies, and fruits, whole foods and not processed foods, might work best for you?

I'm G-free and fell into the trap of eating processed G-free stuff.

I've just re-discovered intermittent fasting and that is working great for me so far. Food allergies can be tough and I can relate to being stuck in the bathroom after eating wheat or dairy. :annoyed:

Hang in there :)

dasiey 02-05-2012 07:51 AM

:console::hugs:

lil miss 02-05-2012 06:12 PM

Thanks everyone! I am avoiding the GF foods so far. Not worth it to me. Kinda like fat free feta....Not worth it!

haha

tiva 02-05-2012 06:49 PM

Good luck! I've been GF for 10 years, and you really do get used to it. Recently, I've had to go lactose free after a bout of giardia from muskrats (don't ask--life on a farm is always entertaining). Rather than live without cheese and cream, I'm taking lactaid before having my dairy. Adjusting to food restrictions is challenging, and focusing on all the great things you CAN have is a huge help.

One thing that's helped us a lot: I make nearly all my own food, rather than risking restaurants, etc. I freeze a lot of meal servings and take them to work. Plus they're easy to heat up when I come home after a long day. Cooking for yourself, with pure, unprocessed foods, can seem overwhelming at first. But it soon becomes second nature. Now we pretty much eat braised or grilled meats, tons of roasted veggies and salads, berries, and cheeses. Simple, but healthy and delicious.

Good luck!

kaysol 02-06-2012 10:35 PM

I am gluten free as well and it always baffles me that I havent lost weight...I do eat the GF foods but I always count the calories etc on those (they can be higher and believe me there are some really good thing out there, not all, but some that are worth eating) but when I look at all the things I've cut out (fried food because it cant be fried with gluten items and I am not into doing that my self, fast food because bunless burgers get old and most stuff has gluten, half the stuff at parties because I cant eat most of it etc) I am baffled that I don't weigh less! Guess the exact calorie counting of JUDD will be a good thing for me!

I had the blood allergy testing done a few years ago as well when I couldnt get rid of the bloating even after cutting out gluten (and I am very careful). I too came up allergic to garlic and onion (and tapioca which is in almost all GF foods) among many others. I did cut it out for a few months but it was sooo hard to do on top of the gluten (which is actually celiac so I have no choice) that I didnt stick with it. Might have to give it another try at some point - just overwhelming...

I guess we all replace what we cant eat with what we can ( I cant have the cake so I will eat an extra piece of chocolate:) Keep calorie counting with JUDD and I would think it will come off eventually... at least I hope so! :)

gotsomeold 02-07-2012 03:28 AM

I am thinking of all the inflammation and damage allergic reactions can cause, about the healing that has to take place before your digestion can become efficient. The stress response enzymes DDs release really should help with that healing. But, it makes sense to me that weight loss will be slow or no while the healing is happening. :console: