Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 415redhead
Stats: 136
WOE: BBD
Start Date: January 2012
Does this work for everyone?

Hi

I've enjoyed reading all these posts over the last few months.
I was still nursing my son, so not really committed to any particular eating plan, but he just weaned himself and I really love the freedom JUDDD seems to provide (eating normally 3-4 times a week).

My question is:
Does this eventually work for everyone?
I ask because I am 41 and my body is highly resistant to losing weight.
This is probably due to chronic dieting, possible food sensitivites, or maybe just a slow metabolism.

Any advice or encouragement from people who lost despite the above-problems.
If so-how long did it take to "kick in".
Was this sticking to 500 down days (the site says 390 for me when I plus in no activity)/1732 up days with no activity[I put this in after reading some posts even though I exercise everyday].

Many thanks!
415redhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!

415 as in the bay area?

It seems to work for almost everyone, even those who have tried everything else. I was down to losing about 1/2 lb/week on low carb when I came to JUDDD, and am now averaging over 2 1/2 lbs/week.

I have seen posts from a very few people who have not succeeded with JUDDD. I've also seen people who were not seeing good losses and were ready to quit until one of the senior JUDDDers suggested they tweak something, and "thank goodness" they didn't quit, because then the weight started falling off!

I am an absolute believer in the plan, and really, truly feel that the plan will work as long as you respect your numbers and don't go over very often on either day.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karen925
Stats: 192/mid 120's maintaining; 5'8", 49 yrs
WOE: low calorie low carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Oct 2009 low calorie/low carb
I think most any plan will work for someone but not for others. There is only one way to know if JUDDD, or any other plan for that matter, will work for you and that is to try it. If you are monitoring yourself and what you eat, there will not be much damage (weight gain) if the experiment should go poorly. We are all an experiment of 1 (n=1).

Even if it does not work, you will have gained more information about yourself. Self knowledge is a precious thing.

Let us know what you decide.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Im site it doesn't work for everyone but you have to at least try because of it does work for you it is the best plan out there. I have come from eating low carb for years and am finally able to eat carbs again and maintain. It's wonderful. For some it works faster than others but so far it seems to work for a lot of people.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Calorie restriction/fasting can be dangerous for some diabetics. And Up Day eating can be too unrestricted for some people. There are a very few people where we are trying to figure out what is not clicking.

But, beyond those, JUDDD is a slow, steady way to lose weight and gain health that works for almost everyone. DDs become easier as the stress response enzymes build up in the body (some of us prefer DDs). And UDs are just plain fun.

The way you describe yourself, you should fit right in. I am 59 and a slow loser too. And I love this WOE!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I'm one for whom JUDDD is slow kicking in. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since I started. I lost 2 pounds the first week, and nothing since. But, I've been testing some carbs (I have blood sugar issues and trying to figure out if there are 'safe' grain/sugar/tuber carbs I can have). So I may be retaining more water due to that. My measurement change would suggest I have lost more than 2 pounds. I'm curious to see how that comes in for this week (will check on Sat--since tomorrow is a DD).

But, as I said, I have blood sugar issues, I've been primal since August, and eating to satiety has been netting me about 1100 cal/day before starting JUDDD. So I think my metabolism had slowed waaaaayyyyy down. I was completely stalled through all of Dec on my prior woe (and I was good except for one treat on Christmas Day).

I'm committed to the first month for sure. For most people, I think the magic kicks in by 4 weeks if it's going to.

I say jump in. You've got nothing to lose but the weight.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I sure appreciate everyones responses. I will weigh tomorrow, start the plan, spend 4 weeks sticking 100% to my numbers, and then weigh myself again. I am comforted that any weight gain would be unlikely due to a daily calorie average of less than 1200 a day-and I only have about 15 pounds to lose. I look forward to following this board. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fleur
WOE: one toe into starting JUDD
Start Date: 1/18/2012
I am 53, have hypothyroid issues and can be a really slow loser. My waist measurement is down after just 2 weeks on JUDDD, WHoo Hooo!! Not to mention the energy I have to exercise that was missing before.
fleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I even think the Dr. Johnson says it may not work for everyone. In paticular he notes that this would be verry verry hard for a type 1 diabetic or people with an eating disorter. But I am a type 2 diabetic and it seems to work ok for me on the other hand some other type 2 diabetics haven't been able to do this WOE of eating. I doubt any one
diet will be well suited for everyone but this WOE does seem to be good for the majority
of people who try it so why not give it a try. By the way I have 2 reasons for doing this
WOE first is the weight loss but as if not of more inportance is this WOE may provide
substantian health benifits not related to the weight loss.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Yes-I'm from the Bay Area (have lived all over the area-mostly in SF, but home base was in Sonoma), but now live in Los Angeles due to my husbands job.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
I say jump in. You've got nothing to lose but the weight.
I'm still having a bit of a time trying to adjust but i think i know why: You see, sadly, i'm the type of person who really cannot eat anything she wants within calorie restriction and still lose weight. It totally sucks, but I'd rather feel healthy and happy than sick and bloated. Sugar is definitely a no-no for me (yes, please feel sorry for me! ) I don't believe I'm diabetic (it's no where in my genetics) but I think i've always been sensative to sugar, because even though I was a very active kid/teen (avid dancer here!), I was "skinny fat". I didn't even eat a lot - but I did eat sugar! So, I think with an Atkins-JUDDD approach, I should have success. Of course i'll allow myself some cheat days, but they'll consist of pizza/bread, and not M&Ms.

Add me as a friend! Facebook

BodyCombat Certified (5/13/13)
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
I'm still having a bit of a time trying to adjust but i think i know why: You see, sadly, i'm the type of person who really cannot eat anything she wants within calorie restriction and still lose weight. It totally sucks, but I'd rather feel healthy and happy than sick and bloated. Sugar is definitely a no-no for me (yes, please feel sorry for me! ) I don't believe I'm diabetic (it's no where in my genetics) but I think i've always been sensative to sugar, because even though I was a very active kid/teen (avid dancer here!), I was "skinny fat". I didn't even eat a lot - but I did eat sugar! So, I think with an Atkins-JUDDD approach, I should have success. Of course i'll allow myself some cheat days, but they'll consist of pizza/bread, and not M&Ms.
Keep at it! I'm much like you. When I started JUDDD last fall, I lost six pounds easily, then nothing... but I had also started at a fairly high UD level, and was adding back and experimenting with carbs again.

Now that I've readjusted my UD calories (from 2200 to 1800), and am enjoying carbs but in smaller portions (15-30/meal on UDs) instead of in huge servings (60 for the whole day, but in one sitting), I've begun losing again.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Hi from another redhead! If you've got only 15 pounds to lose, I think you're going to love this plan. I only needed to lose 6 to get to my goal and I've lost the 6 plus 4 more! I am 54, post-menopausal, hypothyroid, and a slow loser, but this is working really well for me. I'm a happy camper!
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cammie
Stats: 262 / 245 / ?
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
I think with an Atkins-JUDDD approach, I should have success. Of course i'll allow myself some cheat days, but they'll consist of pizza/bread, and not M&Ms.
I'm following a low carb approach to JUDDD myself. I could check off EVERY symptom of diabetes just before I started Atkins in 2010, my GP had warned me before that she thought I was diabetic, and it is part of my genetics (grandmother died of complications and mum is "borderline") so it makes sense that I'll always have to watch carbs. I do however eat more of them than I used to just because down days often call for low-cal foods that have more. Your approach sounds very sensible!
cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi 415!

Does this eventually work for everyone? From what I've seen on this forum, the majority will lose some weight right out of the gate and continue to lose. Another group will need 2 or 3 weeks for losses to kick in and will continue to lose. And yet there is a small number of folks who do not lose very well if at all. We don't know if this is due to some condition in the body (thyroid as one example) or what. As has been mentioned there are some diabetics and people with EDs who won't be able to function well on the plan, and yet others do fine. There is no one size fits all diet, unfortunately, so just try it for 3 weeks minimum and see if you are one of the losers

Since you are breast-feeding, you should probably keep your calories higher than what the calculator gave you. I am not very good with helping people with calories, so I leave that to the experts here. But I will say that for some of us, it was better to ease into a low DD. Some of us started at 700 calories or more and worked our way down. The plan still worked even at that.

Welcome again!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-03-2012 at 07:25 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This is me too. I think I've always been a carb/sugar addict. My favorite after school snack in high school was a bowl of buttered noodles, or cheesy rice (white minute rice). I was also a very avid dancer, so was at a healthy weight. But when I got married and the dancing stopped, the carb addiction didn't.

I had a 1/2 baked potato last night with supper (ate it last--I've noticed if you eat your carbs last the blood sugar spike is lessened), and it did not spike my bg like having anything with sugar does.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
This is me too. I think I've always been a carb/sugar addict. My favorite after school snack in high school was a bowl of buttered noodles, or cheesy rice (white minute rice). I was also a very avid dancer, so was at a healthy weight. But when I got married and the dancing stopped, the carb addiction didn't.

I had a 1/2 baked potato last night with supper (ate it last--I've noticed if you eat your carbs last the blood sugar spike is lessened), and it did not spike my bg like having anything with sugar does.
Good thing to know! I ate my DQ mini Blizzard FIRST last night, and then decided to have the burger and fries! The proteins and fats from your regular food will help buffer the carbs from your dessert - makes sense. There's a reason why dessert is usually eaten last. And why Mamas usually say, "Don't eat that cookie, you'll spoil your dinner!"
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Absolutely Sophie. I learned a lot with having to watch and test when I was pg. I noticed the order when I had the exact same meal, with 2 highly different readings, and realized that was the difference.

It's also WAY better, if you are going to have a treat, to have it after a regular meal, than to save it and have it later by itself. One morning, I was cooking breakfast and snuck a bite (ONE BITE) of the apple pie on my counter, then went on to eat just eggs and sausage for breakfast. My sugars SOARED on that one bite. (this was when I was pg).

Buffering the carbs is a good way to explain it.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
I hate to say it but I fell into the 1% category. I followed it fairly exactly my only downfall were 2 MD. I did JUDDD for 30 days and I started at 139 and I'm 141 as of this morning. I was so excited during TOM because I had NO weight gain thought a whoosh was coming but alas no.......I'm supposed to weigh 132 and never thought that losing 7 lbs. would be impossible especially because I gained it basically in 2 weekends. Don't go by me though because you need to give any diet a fair shake and you may be one of those that just burn off the weight effortlessly and I'll pray that's exactly how it works for you!