Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
Today's lessons learned...

1. If eating out, calculate the calories BEFORE you eat it. It was an up day, so we went for lunch at Chipotle, I had a fabulously delicious chicken salad with black beans, romaine, a little cheese, pico di gallo, corn salsa....all fit perfectly in! Well, I of course had been planning to just use the pico as a salad dressing as I really like it that way, but they put this enticing little cup of actual dressing on my tray, and said it was a mildy sweet/spicy vinagrette. Tasted it and it was delicious, so used it on my salad...hey, how bad can a vinagrette be, anyway? Uum, yeah - looked it up later and that little bugger was 230 freaking calories! Crap!

That salad was perfectly fine before I put it on, and a bargain at just over 500 cals (perfect on an up day). (I could easily bring it down for a DD, too, which is uber cool as any way you make it it is delicious.)

I worked it into my numbers and all worked out, but was still annoyed.

2. Second lesson of the same day - When planning a meal - pay attention to the number of servings on pre-packaged foods. Bought some beautiful stuffed salmon filets at Fresh and Easy for dinner tonight. 2 to a package, stuffed with some spinach and goat cheese and other lovelies - not huge, but nicely/moderately sized, looked at the nutrition info (see.....you would have thought I learned) and saw it was 320 - ok, that works, with some steamed green beans, all is goodness and light.

While they were cooking, I grabbed the package to scan it into My Fitness Pal, and wouldn't you know it? Even though it was only 2 filets, it counted as 4 servings. REALLY?

If I hadn't had the lunchtime "salad dressing incident", I could have fit in a whole filet, but......

You'll be proud of me, though. As soon as we sat down, I cut it in half, put half on my husbands plate, and filled the rest of my plate with green beans with a little bit of Laughing Cow garlic and herb melted on them and had an absolutely delicious meal. (Dang, that salmon was GOOD, though. I'm saving up my calories to eat a whole one, next time, now that I know better.) So I suppose I DID learn at least something from the salad dressing debacle.

At the end of the day, I even had enough left for my sugar free jello fix with a quick squirt of whipped cream.

So, please learn from the error of my ways. Count first, eat second. Always.

If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way. If you don't you'll find an excuse.

Team in Trainining alumni - San Diego marathon 2005. Half marathon in San Francisco 2007! Working hard to wipe out blood cancers.
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Well done - you made it work!!

Salad dressing looks oh so innocent!!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
How can half a salmon fillet be one serving?? It goes against the laws of nature! I don't think I have ever ate just half in my life!

Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
BOTh of those meals sound totally wonderful. Like Vicky I have learned to distrust all salad dressings (but, wow, I bet the vinaigrette really enhanced the flavor of the salad!). And, where prepackaged foods are concerned I imagine someone with the job titile: Illogical Serving Sizer.

CONGRATULATIONS on learning some very valuable lessons while having an opulent and successful UD!!!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Serving sizes make me nuts. Serving size for WHO? It's such a game to make things look "healthier".

Glad you learned something from today and made it work. Sounds like you ate well.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Great tips, and way to go for making it work on the fly!

I LOVE Chipotle salads . . . love them! I always get sour cream and mix it all up so that's my "dressing." LOL
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Yeah, like a half cup is a serving of ice cream...
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Majella
Stats: 191/183/132
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Yes serving sizes are tiny! I look and think surely it's a child's portion, I feel like 2 bites and it's gone...think I need to buy tiny plates to make the food look like more lol good job Marianne!!
Majella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BoysMom View Post
I've learned the hard way about this as well, and now I just automatically enter everything in my tracker every morning or even the night before, even if it's just a rough estimate, and if I want to make any changes or additions, I look it up on the computer or on my phone before I eat it. I'm glad you were able to work everything in though!

Also, yes, serving sizes drive me crazy. I've seen foods or sauces that have crazy tiny serving sizes like 1/8 tsp, when absolutely no one would have less than 1/4 cup or so, and then all the nutrition info is way off because they round down to zero for everything when really, it's not zero in the serving size that I'd be eating.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
servings sizes sucks. like on a small pack of nuts is supposed to be 3 servings? so thinking that pack of nuts is 200 calories when it is really 600. grrrr.

reminds me not to ever show up at work empty handed or i end up staring down that vending machine
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karen925
Stats: 192/mid 120's maintaining; 5'8", 49 yrs
WOE: low calorie low carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Oct 2009 low calorie/low carb
Quote:
1. If eating out, calculate the calories BEFORE you eat it.

I call it, " Sticker shock." The day I realized that IHOP added pancake batter to their spinach omelet, thereby increasing all sorts of counts, was my Rubicon. I always, always check ahead and preplan my meal. Regardless if it is a benefit gala/dinner or restaurant. A secondary benefit, is spending more time with friends or guests and very little time ordering. The decision making has already been done.

I actually think this was very positive for you because you will never again be ambushed.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
My Mantra: "When in doubt, leave it out." It pretty much covers all these types of situations.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Really good post, Marianne!

Quote:
2. Second lesson of the same day - When planning a meal - pay attention to the number of servings on pre-packaged foods.
This is so true. My favorite muffins, my UD luxury, are a case in point. I thought I was doing well by only eating half, so I've been logging a half a muffin based on the calories on the package. Well, I should have put my readers on, 'cause the other day I looked closer, and on the sticker for this package of FOUR muffins, a SERVING is 1/2 a muffin! Really? Why don't they just make 8 smaller muffins, then? So frustratating, and, IMO, dishonest. So my calories really should have been doubled! Like you said, lesson learned.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
Glad to know the salmon is good. I love Fresh & Easy's meals. I've been pleased with pretty much everything I've tried there.

Sorry you didn't get to eat it all.
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
Fresh and Easy has the best pre-made foods of anywhere I have ever tried! So, well worth the calories (if you plan for them...)

I have the crab and sweet potato soup all ready for lunch tomorrow. YUM!
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote