Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Calculator question and I need a hug!

Ok first - calculator question - I see that on the Dr. J site, they have percentages that go up to 45% "weight loss/maintenance" mode - so would that be the very highest percentage we could do if we're trying to lose weight, or should we stick to 35% or less? Just asking because it could mean the difference of an 800 DD and a 630 DD!

Second - I don't know why I even stupidly decided to make February "no-sugar" month. Who am I kidding? I could maybe survive that if I was still doing LC. Everyone keeps talking about getting ice cream b/c it's so nice outside. I want to cry....

Add me as a friend! Facebook

BodyCombat Certified (5/13/13)
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WildIrishRose
Stats: 271.5/250.5/140
Start Date: 1/10/10 - again...
I can't help with the calculator questions but I can with the hug ........
WildIrishRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

Gallery: TallToriV
Stats: 192/179/145 ~ 5'10"
WOE: JUDD with low-mod carbs
Start Date: 1/17/12
If you're really wanting to lose weight and see results quickly, I'd definitely recommend staying at 35% or below. I believe the "weight loss/maintenance" numbers are geared for people whose metabolism is really kicking - as in, this is the borderline between maintenance and weight loss, where most will maintain but some JUDDDers will still lose. If you want to definitely lose, stick with the numbers that are specifically for weight loss.

And consider yourself thoroughly hugged!! If you do want to sneak in sugar, I've found that UD late mornings are the best - if I do any goodies then, and then eat protein for the rest of the day, I don't seem to get any sugar spikes, crashes, or intense hunger on the following down day. HTH!
TallToriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Why don't you wait until later to try the no sugar month? Here's a hug for you.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
No advice, as I'm only five days in, myself, but
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Katie: Dr J (not the basketball player ) recommends actual fasting on DD's, so I'd imagine for the "fastest" loss, he would recommend the lower number.
Hang in there!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Hi Katie....
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #9

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Why don't you wait until later to try the no sugar month? Here's a hug for you.
You know it makes sense. You have nothing to prove. You are doing great.

Lower is better than higher if you still wish to see the scales drop.

there, there. X
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darlingnikki
Stats: start 225/ now 132.2/ goal 125 ??? Height 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD and HCG (not at the same time)
hugs
darlingnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #11

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Adding a hug.

Now, as to the weight loss and the percentage, the DD number you decide on is entirely up to you. You do need to realize that Down Days are the only days we are going to be eating for any weight loss at all, so if you are only doing that every other day of the month, you darned well had better do it well!

The Up Days are just *Us.. practicing being normal, eating at the level we should maintain ourselves at, getting used to a new relationship with food, learning how to enjoy food without letting food overrule us* and all of that is important for us for our lifelong maintenance once we get to goal. We don't want to be among the many/most who get fat again. And again. We don't want to work so hard to lose it, only to find we're wearing it again in a year or two.

So while our UDs are very important (which is why we should actually count them and use them to train ourselves properly toward our successful futures in maintenance, it's the DDs where we actually lose the fat we are currently lugging around. If you don't do them well, JUDDD won't be able to give you much. We like to say it's magic.. but it's not that magic.

So the percentage of calories that you go for on your DDs is up to you, but obviously.. the fewer the better. The fewer, the faster you'll shed the pounds. The lower the DD number, the sooner you'll be done with this part and on into your maintenance, where you will enjoy not jut a slimmer size, but Down Days that no longer have to be as low, and that makes them a whole lot more enjoyable too.

Do the best you can. If you can't hold your DDs real low right here at the beginning, then add a couple hundred to your DD number. But work that down to the number you should be holding to as soon as you can. Like I said, the object is to lose the weight. You can eat for the rest of your life, and on JUDDD, that can be anything you want it to be, forever, all while remaining slim. It's a good deal. You just have to do your part.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

The Up Days are just *Us.. practicing being normal, eating at the level we should maintain ourselves at, getting used to a new relationship with food, learning how to enjoy food without letting food overrule us* and all of that is important for us for our lifelong maintenance once we get to goal...

So while our UDs are very important (which is why we should actually count them and use them to train ourselves properly toward our successful futures in maintenance
Wow... I've been JUDDDing for a couple of months now, but had never thought of my UDs this way. It really makes me stop and think. THANK YOU for sharing this. It makes a whole lot of sense!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #13

Gallery: TallToriV
Stats: 192/179/145 ~ 5'10"
WOE: JUDD with low-mod carbs
Start Date: 1/17/12
I agree with synger!
TallToriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
MLE
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MLE
Stats: 175/140/130 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Crackin'
Start Date: June 2010/New start in 2012
Please don't cry... Instead of trying to make February "no sugar month," why not try to make it "really low DD's with satisfying UD's month" so that you don't feel utterly deprived! Didn't Dr. J want UD's to NOT be days of deprivation? Please...don't torture yourself needlessly!!
MLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Speaking as a sweet-a-holic from birth, it gets easier.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLE View Post
Please don't cry... Instead of trying to make February "no sugar month," why not try to make it "really low DD's with satisfying UD's month" so that you don't feel utterly deprived! Didn't Dr. J want UD's to NOT be days of deprivation? Please...don't torture yourself needlessly!!
you do have a point there. Maybe i'll make it "no sugar DD's". Maaaybe that I can do!
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #17

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Sounds like a plan!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
Thanks for asking this because I assumed the percentages were based on the percentage of weight one needed to lose. I feel a little silly but not too much damage done. Here's a hug from me you can do it!
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Adding a hug. So the percentage of calories that you go for on your DDs is up to you, but obviously.. the fewer the better. The fewer, the faster you'll shed the pounds. The lower the DD number, the sooner you'll be done with this part and on into your maintenance, where you will enjoy not just a slimmer size, but Down Days that no longer have to be as low, and that makes them a whole lot more enjoyable too.
Thanks--I needed to hear/read this part again--I'm still eating 500 cals on my DDs, and it's a SLOW GO. I'll keep trying to lower those DD cals, and see if I can speed this process up a bit.
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #20

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
Thanks--I needed to hear/read this part again--I'm still eating 500 cals on my DDs, and it's a SLOW GO. I'll keep trying to lower those DD cals, and see if I can speed this process up a bit.
And keep measuring and counting those UD calories. They matter. The UDs are the part that folks like to gloss over, as though a few hundred calories over or under, from not measuring, from just estimating, won't matter.. but that can affect your progress, your success overall, and speed of your journey. Not saying you aren't counting and accounting for all your UD food, just was mentioning this... in case...
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fleur
WOE: one toe into starting JUDD
Start Date: 1/18/2012
And if you do want to give up/cut back on sugar, there are sugar free ice cream options. I see that you're in Central Jersey (I'm in S Jersey), so your shopping options should be similar to mine. I love the fruit sweetened sorbet and gelato from Ciao Bella (find at Whole Foods stores, or if you have Shop Rite nearby). The blood orange sorbet is yummy and only 60 calories per serving. The key lime gelato is totally decadent and NOT low calorie. Good luck with whichever way you go with it.
fleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #22
WWC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
I love seeing all the NJ BUDDDs..........

I'm kind of North Central and agree the nice weather feels like spring!

from me too. If you really feel like sugar is a problem for you, I would like about choosing healthier foods that you love. If you want Ice Cream and have the calories to spare, the Skinny Cow popsicles are great and have a portion size with a great calorie count. Or if you want candy, have some dark chocolate. I think saying "no" to cravings completely sets us up to have that negative tape running in our head which for me leads to poor choices and cycles from there.

I can keep my DD calories low only if I keep my protein high so that may be an idea to work on to help with that for you. I think this is all a learning curve, when you reach a roadblock, just turn around and try again. You'll get there!
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
I'm a firm believer in one big change at a time--no need to stress yourself out in every aspect right now.

With that said, I am the crazy gal who has been under 15g of sugar a day (although yesterday I had 50g, LOL!!!!) and even *I* would not take a "no sugar" challenge. I truly enjoy that little bit of dark chocolate, or the low carb ice cream bar, or almond butter with maple too much. A lot of times I count out 8 of the Ghiradelli 60% chocolate chips for dessert. It's still very, very low sugar, but not no sugar. Giving up all semblance of treats is not something I can imagine right now.

Hang in there!