Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cameo1963
Stats: 256/178/156
WOE: <50g carbs daily
Start Date: February 21, 2011
Help-my first DD did not go well.

So, second post here...just getting started on JUDDD. I was attempting to do induction, so yesterday should have been my first DD. Well.....it didn't go so well. I was starving! I ended up eating about 950 calories, not exactly the 500 that is advised, but still well below my recommended UD calories.

My question is, did anyone starting out feel like they had to gradually lower their calories each DD, like maybe cut out a 100 or so each DD until they got to 500 and then start induction on that day? I am trying to figure out how to proceed.

Or do I just move on and hope to do better tomorrow? Today is an UD and I am not any more hungry than usual, so don't anticipate going crazy.

I didn't expect to be that hungry. I have had days in the past, while just doing LC, where I wasn't very hungry and almost forgot to eat and would only eat 600 or 700 calories that day. So of course, I figured I would be able to do it "on purpose". The difference, I guess, is that I was following my body's lead, vs. trying to force it.

Please advise on how to make this work for me, as I really want to do this!

Thanks!
cameo1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
There are several JUDDDers who had to start a little higher and gradually lower their calories, so don't beat yourself up. I think you did fine for your first attempt.

My best advice would be to read and take notes on the threads with DD recipes and DD staples. Make sure you have plenty of very low calorie items around for DDs. A lot of us try to push our first meal back as late as we can, but that doesn't work for everyone. I find hot, black coffee and hot broth with serrano chilis really help to curb my hunger.

You'll need to use the first few DDs to experiment and see what works for you. Some like lots of veggies to feel full, others see more benefit from very small amounts of fat or protein. I personally, enjoy a combination of the two to feel satisfied.

The most important thing is to try again. You've got this!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Yes I was one who started out with a higher DD and worked down. Have yourself an UD today and try DD again tomorrow.

Planning and having foods on hand to help you through, like Dawn said. Check out the DD staples and recipe threads.

Some of it is psychological too, at least with me - so allow yourself more calories than you are supposed to have on DD, at least mentally. For example, shoot for 500 on your next DD but allow yourself a few hundred more if you need it. Try not to use them all, but still, if you need them - use them! Next DD, try it again. You may be able to lower your calories faster than you think just knowing you have that cushion there.

Protein seems to be the key to satisfaction for some of us. Shrimp, tilapia, other seafood, chicken, egg whites, etc. These can be used with fried veggies or salads. Or omelets. Again, check the DD recipes threads or DD staples threads.

Have liquids to sip all day, like hot tea, iced tea, coffee, broth, etc. You can do diet drinks if you like those. Don't forget water. Sugar-free chewing gum.

HTH and
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-01-2012 at 07:01 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
The only advice I have to offer is this: Going higher than the 500 works for some of us, including me. I started at 700 because I know me and I knew that if I was terrible hungry on my first DDs I would have given up right away. Most days I got right up to that 700 ceiling, BUT I never went over. Then as the DDs got easier the calories got lower. In my case not by much (650) but I still lost fine.

As I'm sure you know, the idea behind JUDDD is calorie restriction every other day, and keeping those DD calories low to trip our body into burning fat. If you are eating, say, 1700 calories on an UD and then eating 950 on a DD that, to me, would not be enough of a calorie gap between the 2 days to start you going into weight loss mode. You probably could maintain easily with those number, but weight loss needs a bigger gap in UD and DD calories to work well.

I suggest you up you DD calories some, but not more than 200 calories, if you are finding that those calories are too low for you, and then work your way down some in calories as JUDDD gets easier, but please don't go over those calories. It's the big gap that makes JUDDD work it's "magic", at least that is how I see it.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cameo1963
Stats: 256/178/156
WOE: <50g carbs daily
Start Date: February 21, 2011
Thanks for the advice, so far

I guess I should have mentioned that my up day recommendation is actually 2410 calories (my down days after induction is 603); this is at 25%....at 35% it is actually 844, which is definitely something I can live with.

I'm just going to continue, have a down day tomorrow and shoot for the recommended 500, but take the suggestion that I have a cushion of an extra 250 for a total of 750.

That would still be a gap of 1660 calories; is that enough to work?

I haven't eaten 2410 calories in quite a while....Monday was strange. I felt like all I did was eat!
cameo1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
2400 seems pretty high for an UD. I started JUDDDing at over 200 lbs and my highest UD was 2100 and have now settled in at 1700-1800 on UD's.

I find for me that if I eat higher then that then i just end up bouncing up and down the exact same weight every day. up a pound, down a pound, up a pound, down a pound and never would drop. When i lowered my UD calories then i started seeing a smaller upswing on my UD and a bigger downswing on my DD.

but that is just me, you should see what works for you.

fyi i now do DD's of 800 but I also work out pretty intensely 5-6 days a week doing both cardio and strength training.