Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Yesterday I had at least 46g protein: 2 Italian sausages, and a hemp shake with a raw egg & nutritional yeast.
Today it was also about 50g--2 more sausages, and a bowl of browned ground beef w/spinach

Those Italian sausages are one of my "go-to" proteins for BABs; 12g protein per link.
I have even had 4 of them for breakfast and I feel less stuffed and (oddly!) it takes me longer to get hungry again than if I eat something like eggs & ham.
Turkey sausage is probably lower in fat/higher in protein, if that is your preference.

Some other proteins that have worked for me:
pork chops or pulled pork
beef (hamburgers, meatloaf, stew)
chicken salad
liver pills
pickled herring (with cream cheese on toast or crackers)

I have tried tuna salad but it didn't keep me full for very long.
Sometimes a combination of things seems to work best--
Beef & eggs
Herring & eggs & liver pills
Chicken salad & cottage cheese
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Well, FWIW, the Leptin Breakfast (aka the BAB--Big *Ahem* Breakfast )
seems to be suppressing my appetite all day.

Both yesterday & today I ate around 11 or 12 (still waking up late...hope to change that soon), was not hungry for dinner but had a few bites when I cooked for my son around 5pm. Last night around 11pm I had a couple crispbreads with cream cheese so I could take my meds; tonight I'm just having a cheese stick (80 calories).

It's a weird combination of being hungry & not being able to think of anything I want to eat. I seriously don't even want any flavor in my mouth, not even coffee or tea or a Crystal Light-type drink...usually I can't get enough "flavor" and sweet drinks, hard candy, gum, etc!

Yesterday (Monday) and today I did start taking a green drink (Green Vibrance), so there's a possibility that is having an effect. But on Saturday I went about 7 hours between brunch & dinner, and on Sunday, about 8.

I guess there is a difference between the breakfast that will set me off eating all day and the BAB!!!
Where are you getting these Italian sausages?

I tried this LR bfast again, this time got more protein in by having the yogurt + berries + protein powder, plus I had a protein bar. I ended up with around 38 g. protein.

The BAB is like you're doing a reverse IF that some people do - instead of not being hungry at b'fast and having a big dinner, you're having a bab and not being hungry later. Maybe this will work great for you.

How are your blood sugars doing with not eating for 7 or 8 hours?
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I get the sausages at A&P or any grocery store--I live in NJ; maybe they're not so readily available elsewhere?

I don't test my BG during the day, unless I feel really out-of-sorts, but I assume it's fine because I have not gotten shaky at all!

My weight since starting has been nearly the exact same: 275, 275.2, or 275.4 every day for 6 days.
Of course, I would like to see some loss, but...at least there's no gain?
And I've developed good no-snacking habits? (Trying to see the bright side here)
Oh, and the Metformin hasn't made my stomach act up!

I haven't been able to go grocery shopping for a while but today I can!!!
So I may get some foods that are either DD friendly or Atkins Fat Fast friendly, and try to get into some sort of calorie-cycling again (instead of just IF or LC).

I mean, a gram of protein is 4 calories, so 50g=200 calories if I can find something low-fat enough. Doable for a DD, if it's the protein keeping me full and not the accompanying fat. Will have to experiment! For science!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I get the sausages at A&P or any grocery store--I live in NJ; maybe they're not so readily available elsewhere?

I don't test my BG during the day, unless I feel really out-of-sorts, but I assume it's fine because I have not gotten shaky at all!

My weight since starting has been nearly the exact same: 275, 275.2, or 275.4 every day for 6 days.
Of course, I would like to see some loss, but...at least there's no gain?
And I've developed good no-snacking habits? (Trying to see the bright side here)
Oh, and the Metformin hasn't made my stomach act up!

I haven't been able to go grocery shopping for a while but today I can!!!
So I may get some foods that are either DD friendly or Atkins Fat Fast friendly, and try to get into some sort of calorie-cycling again (instead of just IF or LC).

I mean, a gram of protein is 4 calories, so 50g=200 calories if I can find something low-fat enough. Doable for a DD, if it's the protein keeping me full and not the accompanying fat. Will have to experiment! For science!!!
No, I've seen Italian sausages, but I wasn't sure if you were getting a particular brand. Now and then I'll buy the precooked kind in a ring to cut up to go with rice and beans or put in steamed cabbage and potatoes, but there is also the kind that look like large, raw hotdogs. I'll have a look next time I'm at the store.

Sounds like there are many positives going for you with this. You're bound to find the missing key soon that will unlock weight loss again.

I am glad I started doing this LR B'fast too. I only made it to about 35 g. protein and yet it kept me full for over 6 hours. I am looking forward to whether I get sleepy at a decent hour tonight.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"Precooked kind in a ring"...I don't think I've ever seen those, except kielbasa-type stuff?

The raw Italian sausages aren't a uniform color like hot dogs, but very speckly with red & white. Two types--sweet or hot.

My breakfast today was at 8am, prob finished around 9am--2 hamburger patties (one with a bun, one without). I didn't eat again til 6:30pm--started nibbling on some cheese while I made a big salad. I ought to have some protein but I don't know what to make. I am pretty full now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fresh_sausage.jpg (39.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by piratejenny; 02-01-2012 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: add photo
Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

I'll pick up some of those next time I get groceries. I drank my protein today in a shake with whole milk. I get about 35 g. protein in my b'fast that way.

Last night I started getting sleepy by midnight, stayed up til 12:30 and pretty much went right to sleep. I woke up just before 7 and could have drifted back to sleep but decided to get up.

Today I have the sniffles a bit, but trying to fight off whatever my oldest DS had last week and youngest has this week. A cold/sinus thing.

Anyway, I do think there is something to this high protein breakfast.

Reading Dr. Kruse's website there is a lot of good info. I'd heard of this Leptin Reset back when I was on the Main Lobby all the time, but I didn't think I needed it so didn't investigate. Now I looked into it when you posted about it helping sleep, since I've been wanting to get to sleep better.

I think it is helping in that regard.

How are you doing?

Yes, I will get some of those sausages soon.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
So interesting!

I did one day with a BAB of 46g protein and I for sure was not hungry until dinner. I *am* a breakfast eater but I actually really missed having my "lunch break." I work from home and look forward to lunch and a show on the TiVo that DH won't watch with me, like The Bachelor.

I wonder if there's a way to make the BAB + a salad at dinner work on a JUDDD down day? I feel like for sure it would have to involve fish or something for breakfast to keep calories lower. LOL The day I did the 46g I think the breakfast was 660 calories.

Wishing you restful nights!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm following this with interest, Guys. Hope this helps resolve some insomnia problems and will allow for more weight loss very soon too. And.. those sausages sure looked good!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I used to have the worst time gettning to sleep. I would stay up until 1 or 2 in the morning and be exhausted the next day. I now have a normal sleep pattern (for the most part).

How I did it? I had a boyfriend that had to get up at 4:30-5am and he wanted to go to bed at 8pm and he didn't want the TV on in the bedroom. So, I'd go to bed with him and lay in the dark, sometimes for hours. But, I was persistent. I started trying to relax myself by doing breathing exercises. Before I knew it, I was passing out at 8pm with him. So, I've been diligent about keeping that going since then. I notice that if I try to stay up late on weekends (12-1), I will not be as rested the next day. So, even on weekends, I try to keep to my schedule. I usually fall asleep by 10-10:30, but sometimes earlier. I'm usually in bed by 9:30pm. I get up at 6am. I know I need 8 or more hours of sleep, so I make sure I get it.

I also never used to be a breakfast eater, but with all the talk of "people who lose weight eat breakfast," I forced myself to eat it. Now, I'm STARVING in the mornings, but can usually easily go without dinner if I have a good breakfast and lunch.

So, it is possible to change your rhythms, it just takes persistence and slow change. Just like finding a diet/WOE that is right for you. It always takes time to get used to it.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am definitely getting to sleep earlier & more easily (except for that one low-protein morning), but now I am having trouble falling back to sleep after my son goes to school!
The last few mornings I was awake from 6am til 8 or 10 and ended up taking a nap til 11 or noon! All my efforts to be up & at 'em...not working yet!

I wish I could rely on him to get up on his own but he is a very heavy sleeper and we are 1 mile from the bus stop and 30 minutes away from the school...missing the bus is a big problem.

I have absolutely no desire to be up at 6am. It's cold, dark, and boring! Can't do errands--nothing is open and commuter traffic around here is terrible for 2-3 hours every morning.

BUT...in bringing up the cortisol/sleep issue, I remembered that years ago I read that it is "healthiest" to be asleep by 10 or 11pm, and that it may help with weight loss. After poking around the Internet a bit, I have come across several articles that claim the body does much of its repair when you are asleep between 10pm-2am.

Now--this doesn't entirely make sense to me. I've also read that the body's "clock" goes by when it gets dark, and that regulates the release of certain hormones. So what about seasonal changes--in the winter, it gets dark before 5pm and in the summer, after 9? Does it really "know" it's 10pm when sometimes that's 5 hours after sunset and other times it's less than an hour later?

Well, if I were to fall asleep by 10pm, getting up at 6am would not be difficult. And I don't really go out on the weekends anymore, so if it might make a big difference to my health and weight loss issues, it's a change worth trying.

I have noticed that I often start yawning/feeling sleepy around 8pm, but if I stay up past 9 or 10 (which I always do, because going to bed at 8 is ridiculous! ), I get a second wind and will be up for at least another 4 hours.

If I haven't bored you to sleep yet...
Today my FBG was 142.
It's been around 100-125 for months...even when I have had bread or ice cream at night...I don't know what caused that?!!! Unless it was just a fluke/meter malfunction? Or because I didn't have protein with dinner?

PS--I just remembered, I had a couple of crispbreads with peanut butter, some "real" jam, and a small glass of milk late last night.
This morning I also got very stressed/angry at my son (for taking a REALLY long shower & almost missing the bus)
and apparently anger can spike BG...so maybe it was one or the combination of these things.

Last edited by piratejenny; 02-02-2012 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I'd go with the anger/stress connection. I have nothing to back this up, but I know stress produces an adrenalin release to prepare you to fight or flight--I would imagine a glucose release might come with it to give you the energy to either stay and fight or run like heck.

Keep an eye on it of course, but if it's a one time thing, probably not cause for alarm.

Interesting on the sleep. I tend to go to bed around 11:30 or 12 and get up around 6:30--which is NOT enough sleep. And lately, I've been waking at 5 and not able to get back to sleep. So if that's going to continue, I need to start getting myself to bed by 10. I've heard too that the hours before midnight are more important for healing/rest than those after.

There was a time in my youngest dd's life that she would not go to sleep without me (we co-slept), so I went to bed with her at 8:30, and then got up at 5 and had a couple of hours quiet before the rest of the family was up and about. I have a home business, and was able to get a lot done in those dark, early morning hours. You may find you like the early hours, if you are well-rested when you greet them.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This morning I got only slightly annoyed and my BG was 108.

No peanut butter last night, though!!!

I am going to compare weekend (when I don't have to wake up DS) readings to weekday.

Last night I was asleep by 11pm--unheard of!
Woke up at 5:40...

MKT--I wouldn't mind the earlier hours if it were warmer. It's about 43-45 degrees in the house in the early morning & staying in bed with the kitties actually saves money!!!
We're super-broke right now and I usually only turn on the heat for a couple hours in the evening when DS is home.

Last edited by piratejenny; 02-03-2012 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
This morning I got only slightly annoyed and my BG was 108.

No peanut butter last night, though!!!

I am going to compare weekend (when I don't have to wake up DS) readings to weekday.

Last night I was asleep by 11pm--unheard of!
Woke up at 5:40...

MKT--I wouldn't mind the earlier hours if it were warmer. It's about 43-45 degrees in the house in the early morning & staying in bed with the kitties actually saves money!!!
We're super-broke right now and I usually only turn on the heat for a couple hours in the evening when DS is home.
You and I had the same FBG reading this am! And I wasn't stressed. I think it had to do with eating what I did at Dairy Queen last night.

On a brighter note, I was getting sleepy by 9 p.m. after eating... but by the time I got ready for bed I was awake until after 10:30. BUT STILL! I think I was asleep before 11:30 p.m.!!! I got up at 9 a.m.

Just finished my protein shake for a total of 35 g. protein with the whole milk in it. 35 g. seems to work well for me.

We'll see how it goes tonight.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sophie--since you are doing the protein for sleep rather than leptin resistance (and perhaps you are not LR, since you are at goal weight), maybe you don't need the 50g-protein-breakfast, and that's why 35g is sufficient for you? I'm really excited that it seems to be helping you sleep better!

The 108 is actually pretty good for me, and much better than the 142 of yesterday!

For breakfast this morning, I just had a bit of this and that (cottage cheese, egg salad, beef jerky, liver pills), so I am not sure how much protein I had. At least 40-45g, though.
But tomorrow is Saturday, and I don't have to get up at 6am, so if I don't fall asleep early tonight it's no big deal.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Sophie--since you are doing the protein for sleep rather than leptin resistance (and perhaps you are not LR, since you are at goal weight), maybe you don't need the 50g-protein-breakfast, and that's why 35g is sufficient for you? I'm really excited that it seems to be helping you sleep better!

The 108 is actually pretty good for me, and much better than the 142 of yesterday!

For breakfast this morning, I just had a bit of this and that (cottage cheese, egg salad, beef jerky, liver pills), so I am not sure how much protein I had. At least 40-45g, though.
But tomorrow is Saturday, and I don't have to get up at 6am, so if I don't fall asleep early tonight it's no big deal.
That's what I'm thinking too - that 35 is plenty for me, and Dr. Kruse also mentioned that those who are not still LR may be able to use less than 50 g. protein. I still have to remind myself to eat when I get up.

Hope you get a nice restful sleep tonight!

Oh, and I checked Dairy Queen's nutrition info a little while ago, and that food I ate there had a whopping 126 g. carbs!!!! In one sitting. I forgot to check my bg at the right times, but I did catch it at about 122 an hour and a half after eating. It was down to about 105 15 min later.

I am determined to eat out less than I do now, which isn't a lot by most people's standards. But when I looked at the DQ nutritional info, there were so many transfatty acids and hfcs, among other things I don't add to my food at home, that I just prefer to eat at home. And I think it tastes better at home, at least most of the time. But oh well, sometimes you just feel like a Big Mac or you're on the road and need something. I can try to make better choices at least. I didn't really need all that food last night, it just "looked good".
Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Glad this seems to be working for you guys!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

I was up til 3:30 the other night, but I think that had some to do with my cold. Anyway, I did not have the b'fast yesterday, but still got sleepy at a good hour. I slept well last night. Maybe I'm "leptin reset" now, or maybe my habits have improved a little, or maybe this is just temporary, but I think I will stop the b'fasts and see how it goes. Just going back to coffee & tea in the a.m. until I get hungry.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been going to bed earlier & earlier, & even falling asleep quickly (within 1/2 an hour) most of the time.
Last night I was asleep by 11...it might have even been 10:30!
I've had a couple nights when it took me an hour or more to fall asleep, but I've generally been falling asleep by 11 or 12, and 1am at the latest...a great improvement over 4am!!!

Strangely, a couple days after I decided I wanted to train myself to go to sleep earlier, my son (who usually stays up til at least 11) spontaneously started falling asleep around 8:30 every night! So it's actually been easier for me to go to bed, because the TV is off and I'm not worried that he'll stay up too late and miss that 6am bus!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
bumping for new JUDDD Buds
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote