Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   No sugar February (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/755408-no-sugar-february.html)

LadyKT 01-29-2012 07:32 AM

No sugar February

So i've been easing back into JUDDD lately and am adjusting quite well this time around! However, today's an UD and I had dunkin' for breakfast - a caramel latte and two donuts. It's still well within the 1700 cals I need to have for the day, but I just don't feel right eating like this. I know it's okay to allow treats, but for whatever reason, I feel like for myself it's not. So, I think in February I am going to do a no-sugar challenge. Between JUDDD and Fast 5, I think by March 1, i'll be back in those size 8s again!

Anyone want to join me? :shake:

KeirasMom 01-29-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKT (Post 15370781)
So i've been easing back into JUDDD lately and am adjusting quite well this time around! However, today's an UD and I had dunkin' for breakfast - a caramel latte and two donuts. It's still well within the 1700 cals I need to have for the day, but I just don't feel right eating like this. I know it's okay to allow treats, but for whatever reason, I feel like for myself it's not. So, I think in February I am going to do a no-sugar challenge. Between JUDDD and Fast 5, I think by March 1, i'll be back in those size 8s again!

Absolutely not! I don't have that much sugar as a general rule, but I'm not giving up my wine! :hyst:

Have fun, though! That's the beauty of JUDDD. If you want to eat no sugar, you can.

LadyKT 01-29-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15370791)
Absolutely not! I don't have that much sugar as a general rule, but I'm not giving up my wine! :hyst:

Have fun, though! That's the beauty of JUDDD. If you want to eat no sugar, you can.

:rofl: i think ive just been eating too much of the stuff! I need detox lol

lil miss 01-29-2012 08:12 AM

I understand and wish you luck! I am not ready to go on the NO sugar train yet as I am new to JUDDD and enjoying some bad carbs on my UDs too much right now!

Good luck! I think it's a great plan!

mttemple4 01-29-2012 08:20 AM

Well, I have been under 15g a sugar a day for 98% of the last 8 months. No lie. This includes counting the sugar in my scrambled eggs and such too.

HOWEVER, now that I am committing to JUDDD I did find myself eyeing some sugary treats at the store today. Not sure how that will pan out (I ended up not buying any), but if I get off the no-sugar train you can have my seat--it is warm! :rofl:

SoHappy 01-29-2012 08:22 AM

I wish you all good luck, and will be cheering you on. From the sidelines.

I eat some of everything now, and that's one of the things I treasure about JUDDD and this way of managing my weight. I finally feel terrific after several years, and I love all my food choices, include the rare but occasional donut. Well, lattes more often. LOL

But one of the great things about doing JUDDD is our freedom to make the choices that work best for us, so you get to do a sugar-free February. Go for it! Good luck! I think you're going to be at goal very shortly!

cherryhair 01-29-2012 08:24 AM

February, as in Valentine's Day Month with all the wonderful chocolate treats around that I get to legally eat every other day? Uumm...no thanks but will be cheering you on from the sidelines:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

Kissa 01-29-2012 08:49 AM

Sorry, lol, not willing to give up on sugar here either, after 10 years of Atkins.

Will cheer you on too.

LadyKT 01-29-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mttemple4 (Post 15370897)
Well, I have been under 15g a sugar a day for 98% of the last 8 months. No lie. This includes counting the sugar in my scrambled eggs and such too.

HOWEVER, now that I am committing to JUDDD I did find myself eyeing some sugary treats at the store today. Not sure how that will pan out (I ended up not buying any), but if I get off the no-sugar train you can have my seat--it is warm! :rofl:

Oh my I don't mean THAT extreme! :hyst: I mean like no candy, lattes, cookies, sweets, etc. I'm sure there's sugar in the wraps that I eat, but nothing like in the M&M's or starbucks I've been known to indulge in!

Thanks all for the good luck! I just need a break, I feel like i'm eating myself sick with "whatever I want". Or maybe I'm doing JUDDD wrong? For example, on DDs, all I eat is 1/2 a wrap with buffalo chicken, lettuce, tomato and a little bit of blue cheese. It is about 400 calories and fills me pretty well. I mean, we can eat whatever we want on a DD, as long as it comes in under our DD cal allowance, right? Also, yes I only eat 1x a day on DDs, as the only way i can survive a DD is by fasting. A lot of diet coke helps :laugh: On UDs, i'll have a whole wrap with chicken, cheese, avocado, peppers, lettuce and tomato, those come in about 700 cals. With our sandwiches (i get them from the office cafe) they can come with either chips or pretzels. Would it be bad if I had chips with my wrap every UD? Or should I have something healthier? Dinner is usually something ordered out, like another sandwich or a slice of veggie pizza. I try to make sure everything usually adds up to 1700-1800 cals for the day. <- that's the important point right? I mean i'm not eating totally "empty", right? :confused: Pat, Linda, Sophie, whoever else could hopefully shed some light on this, Am i right in my thinking? Or should I be eating differently?

SoHappy 01-29-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKT (Post 15371027)
Oh my I don't mean THAT extreme! :hyst: I mean like no candy, lattes, cookies, sweets, etc. I'm sure there's sugar in the wraps that I eat, but nothing like in the M&M's or starbucks I've been known to indulge in!

Thanks all for the good luck! I just need a break, I feel like i'm eating myself sick with "whatever I want". Or maybe I'm doing JUDDD wrong? For example, on DDs, all I eat is 1/2 a wrap with buffalo chicken, lettuce, tomato and a little bit of blue cheese. It is about 400 calories and fills me pretty well. I mean, we can eat whatever we want on a DD, as long as it comes in under our DD cal allowance, right? Also, yes I only eat 1x a day on DDs, as the only way i can survive a DD is by fasting. A lot of diet coke helps :laugh: On UDs, i'll have a whole wrap with chicken, cheese, avocado, peppers, lettuce and tomato, those come in about 700 cals. With our sandwiches (i get them from the office cafe) they can come with either chips or pretzels. Would it be bad if I had chips with my wrap every UD? Or should I have something healthier? Dinner is usually something ordered out, like another sandwich or a slice of veggie pizza. I try to make sure everything usually adds up to 1700-1800 cals for the day. <- that's the important point right? I mean i'm not eating totally "empty", right? :confused: Pat, Linda, Sophie, whoever else could hopefully shed some light on this, Am i right in my thinking? Or should I be eating differently?

What you are eating is all healthful food. I'm one who even considers pizza to be healthy, but I'm not one who is anti-wheat, so others may differ in their feelings about that crust. I'd probably choose an apple instead of chips or pretzels, or actually.. knowing myself, I'd probably go with the chips and then ADD in an apple I'd brought from home. LOL

Remember to get enough protein, especially on your UDs, since we don't get much food to eat on DDs and may be a little slight on protein on those days. And I favor lots and lots of veggies and fruits of all kinds.. lots of wide variation. But I'm older, so grew up in a time when we felt those foods were very nourishing to us, even the *starchy* vegetables.

It doesn't really matter to JUDDD what foods you choose for your diet as long as the calorie numbers are adhered to. It could be Twinkies. BUT, we all try to be fairly sensible about our food choices so that we are feeding ourselves pretty well too.

LadyKT 01-29-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15371068)
What you are eating is all healthful food.

Okay, just making sure. After trying LC and "eating clean" for so long, I feel like if it's not loaded with vegetables, fruits, lean proteins and no grains, i'm doing it wrong. Good to know i'm still somewhat healthy!

Quote:

I'm one who even considers pizza to be healthy
You're my hero!! :jumpjoy:

SoHappy 01-29-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKT (Post 15371097)
Okay, just making sure. After trying LC and "eating clean" for so long, I feel like if it's not loaded with vegetables, fruits, lean proteins and no grains, i'm doing it wrong. Good to know i'm still somewhat healthy!

You're my hero!! :jumpjoy:

I'm probably in the minority on this site. :laugh:

Like I say, I remember what foods we ate in the 1940s - 1950s... and we ate everything, and nothing was considered a bad or taboo food.. or *poison*. It was just food. I just didn't see fat people in my town back then. Everyone was pretty slim, active, strong and vibrant, and still relied on bread and potatoes at their meals. :laugh: I'd have sure liked to have pizza more often back then though. Not so many pizza shops much back then.

Kissa 01-29-2012 10:06 AM

I even remember food rationing in the UK, so you aren't quite alone Pat. lol.

Bonnie 01-29-2012 10:15 AM

I don't eat sugar (I do use some AS) and I will support you with your no-sugar challenge! :shake:

BeeLove 01-29-2012 10:34 AM

Pat, you were lucky in that most of your food was unprocessed and incredibly fresh. It's a guarantee that if the food were still the same we'd all be much healthier. I absolutely attribute my getting so sick to all the crap I grew up with.

My mother worked 3 jobs and my father had no clue what he was doing when he prepared our food, so we often ate hamburger helper, chicken nuggets, anything that was frozen or very easy to prepare. My house was ALWAYS stocked with little debbie's treats. They were cheap, and in a household with three kids and husband (who to this day can eat an entire thing of oreos in one sitting) food had to be affordable. Unfortunately all the affordable food is usually no good for you.

No wonder I was 200 lbs by the time I was 16. I still to this day have a massively hard time kicking my sweet tooth. These past two days I cut way way back on my carb intake to help get things going and I can totally feel withdrawal symptoms from just eating under 75 grams. The only sugary thing I'm consuming is some strawberries with this low carb chocolate mousse (sweetened with stevia) I found a recipe for. But my body is totally screaming for some real sugar.

SoHappy 01-29-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeLove (Post 15371238)
Pat, you were lucky in that most of your food was unprocessed and incredibly fresh. It's a guarantee that if the food were still the same we'd all be much healthier. I absolutely attribute my getting so sick to all the crap I grew up with.

My mother worked 3 jobs and my father had no clue what he was doing when he prepared our food, so we often ate hamburger helper, chicken nuggets, anything that was frozen or very easy to prepare. My house was ALWAYS stocked with little debbie's treats. They were cheap, and in a household with three kids and husband (who to this day can eat an entire thing of oreos in one sitting) food had to be affordable. Unfortunately all the affordable food is usually no good for you.

No wonder I was 200 lbs by the time I was 16. I still to this day have a massively hard time kicking my sweet tooth. These past two days I cut way way back on my carb intake to help get things going and I can totally feel withdrawal symptoms from just eating under 75 grams. The only sugary thing I'm consuming is some strawberries with this low carb chocolate mousse (sweetened with stevia) I found a recipe for. But my body is totally screaming for some real sugar.

That is so true. I mean, we had canned vegetables and fruit from the grocery store, as well as the produce mama bought there. But our bread didn't have a lot of preservatives in it back then, even if it was store bought, so you had to have it eaten within about three days or it got made into bread pudding or maybe stuffing for a chicken because it had got stale. :laugh: We had macaroni and cheese though. Pretty much the same old pasta as we have now. And we had cakes and cookies and pies. But home made. From scratch. So no additives.

For me, the sin and the causative agent and the villain has never been the simple flour and the granulated table sugar. For me the problem arose when they started putting all the additives into our foods. Stuff to keep it from growing stale so fast. Stuff to prevent it from starting to grow mold. Stuff to take the place of another ingredient which could then save the manufacturer some money. So it ceased to be just the old fashioned food that mama used to make.

I know I'm in the vast minority here when I say that I don't consider sugar and flour to be the evil that many others at LCF do. Nor pasta, potatoes, fruit, etc. For me, it's just food. But I rarely buy Little Debbies. (Although their Swiss Cake Rolls were awfully tasty! LOL) But we did just finish a lovely banana cake I baked from scratch, frosted with butter & cream cheese frosting! That was tasty too, and didn't have a single chemical additive to preserve it. It was just an old fashioned banana cake.

I buy very little convenience food, very little processed food. Mostly we're back to eating just plain old-fashioned made-from scratch-at-home food. So that's what we do these days. Along with keeping tabs on calorie numbers.

fleur 01-29-2012 08:31 PM

Pat, you're talking about the time before high frucose corn syrup went into so many foods. I agree with you that it is not the carbs that are the big problem, it is the unnatural stuff.

Also foods affect people differently. I love a baked (white) potato with eggs over easy for breakfast. It feels so nourishing to me. Wheat, I'm less good with. I try to limit it.

I love the expression that JUDDD decriminalizes foods! I thought I was off sugar permanantly during the few months when I was low carbing (sorry, I'm not going to do a no sugar Feb, either- but do wish you the best with it!:hugs:). Now I am experimenting with having some. I don't want it to be an every day thing, but I am enjoying it sometimes.

sophiethecat 01-29-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKT (Post 15370781)

I had a lot of treats in the beginning of JUDDD, but eventually my appetite for them settled down a bit. I do not ban them, but a lot of times they are just not what I'm wanting. Sometimes they are, and I work a little of it in.

Most days, I enjoy a cup of plain whole milk yogurt with berries as a type of dessert (even DDs, I just use less yogurt), and that seems decadent. Or I have a square of very dark chocolate and find I don't want any more.

But if there is the occasion and something I want, I go ahead and have a little. For example, I'm usually quite satisfied at a birthday party to have a few bites of cake. I don't need a whole piece, and the taste quickly starts becoming "too sweet" to me if I do. I find most sweet things are self-limiting for me in that way.

I just have to be careful about candies and things that are so easy to throw back and eat mindlessly, and so little of it adds up to so many calories!!

But even so, on JUDDD as long as I allowed for those calories on my UDs, it didn't matter where the calories came from - M&Ms or steak, the weight still came off.

I do like to care for my blood glucose system since I'm someone who should be caring to prevent future problems, and so I like to limit sweets (like candies) to when I really, really want them. That might be 1 x month.

I won't be committing to sugar-free at any time, but I wish you well in this. I understand when you feel you're eating too many candies and things for your own good, and while I too have cut back, I know I will enjoy them at times, hopefully in small portions.

I just need a break, I feel like i'm eating myself sick with "whatever I want". Or maybe I'm doing JUDDD wrong? For example, on DDs, all I eat is 1/2 a wrap with buffalo chicken, lettuce, tomato and a little bit of blue cheese. It is about 400 calories and fills me pretty well. I mean, we can eat whatever we want on a DD, as long as it comes in under our DD cal allowance, right? Also, yes I only eat 1x a day on DDs, as the only way i can survive a DD is by fasting. A lot of diet coke helps On UDs, i'll have a whole wrap with chicken, cheese, avocado, peppers, lettuce and tomato, those come in about 700 cals. With our sandwiches (i get them from the office cafe) they can come with either chips or pretzels. Would it be bad if I had chips with my wrap every UD? Or should I have something healthier? Dinner is usually something ordered out, like another sandwich or a slice of veggie pizza. I try to make sure everything usually adds up to 1700-1800 cals for the day. <- that's the important point right? I mean i'm not eating totally "empty", right? Pat, Linda, Sophie, whoever else could hopefully shed some light on this, Am i right in my thinking? Or should I be eating differently?

Yes, whatever you like on DD and helps fill you up is fine. Many of us eat a lot of low calorie proteins and veggies because it helps keep us full.

You mentioned sandwiches, chips on UDs - I enjoy potato chips with sandwiches, but I try to limit it to a handful. Pickles are also good to go along with the sandwich and adds something else crunchy along with the chips.

Sandwiches can be quite healthy, doesn't sound to me like you're having "empty" calories. Sandwiches are like a mini salad, with meats, cheese, vegetables. You can do fats from mayo, evoo, etc. So I think a sandwich is a good thing done right, and quite filling.

SoHappy 01-30-2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleur (Post 15372601)
Pat, you're talking about the time before high frucose corn syrup went into so many foods. I agree with you that it is not the carbs that are the big problem, it is the unnatural stuff.

Also foods affect people differently. I love a baked (white) potato with eggs over easy for breakfast. It feels so nourishing to me. Wheat, I'm less good with. I try to limit it.

I love the expression that JUDDD decriminalizes foods! I thought I was off sugar permanantly during the few months when I was low carbing (sorry, I'm not going to do a no sugar Feb, either- but do wish you the best with it!:hugs:). Now I am experimenting with having some. I don't want it to be an every day thing, but I am enjoying it sometimes.

I pretty much avoid HFCS products as I pretty much just avoid manufactured processed stuff anyway. Occasionally I have a glass of soda pop.. the kind with HFCS sweetener. But mostly now I drink plain iced tea when I want a cold beverage with ice. That sort of thing. So I don't get a lot of HFCS in my diet these days. If I'm going to ingest much corn sugar, I'd like it in the form of fresh corn-on-the-cob please! :laugh:

And yeah, I agree with you that it's only smart to choose the foods that make you feel good and avoid those that cause you issues. Very much meat fat makes me nauseous. Really gaks me out. But I can consume a LOT of dairy fat without a problem.

gotsomeold 01-30-2012 03:00 AM

Theoretically it would be possible to nothing but candy bars and french fries and, as long as you kept within each day's calorie allotment, lose weight. I must have finally reached some level of maturity ... can't imagine enjoying that anymore.

February is not a good no-sugar month for me - big vacation weekend coming up during which I plan to pretend I never heard of needing to lose weight. That sounds like a most excellent idea for March though!

Finally, wow, from the description of the sandwich, that is one heck of an office cafe!!

LadyKT 01-30-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15372778)
Finally, wow, from the description of the sandwich, that is one heck of an office cafe!!

Yeah we're pretty spoiled :hyst: I don't even think I should mention the desserts we have! :stars:

Joedi 01-30-2012 07:21 AM

For me...cutting out anything makes me want it more...and, sadly, usually wakes up my sleeping ED monster!
However, I wish you well on your challange, and hope you post often and let us know how it goes...wonder if you will love it, and want to keep going, or if all those easter eggs will prove a bigger lure?
My aunt cut out sugar many years ago, and i can always remember her picking out all the raisins from her sugar free musli...cos they just tasted "too sweet!" Mind you, her skin really improved, it was absolutely beautiful after a few weeks sugar free.

hugs
Jo
x

adillenal 01-30-2012 07:23 AM

In the same vein, I am now enjoying a few made with real sugar treats. Our custodian at work is 85 years old and she loves to bake delicious cakes and cheesecakes and so forth. She brings us some handmade delicacy every week and I can now indulge with the rest of the staff. Gosh that woman can cook. AND CLEAN. We have a made from scratch lemon pound cake in the breakroom now and this is an UD. Hallelujah!!
Good luck with a sugar free February. I am enjoying my new found freedom too much to join in.

mttemple4 01-30-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKT (Post 15371027)

:rofl: I know! LOL I have been a bit extreme BUT I am still having "treats" within that low sugar range, whether that's a good thing or not. I do have low carb ice cream bars and my favorite is a little Justin's almond butter with maple. It has sugar in it, but the serving I have is 3-6 grams. Sometimes I pair it with a square of 85% chocolate. It's amazing how sweet everything tastes now. I had a bite of Ben and Jerry's a few weeks ago and it truly was too sweet for me to enjoy or want any more. Who am I? :laugh:

Best of luck!!!!

gotsomeold 01-30-2012 10:29 AM

Maple is wonderful with anything!!!!

mttemple4 01-30-2012 10:51 AM

Amen, Nancy! Lol LOVE the Justin's. I'll sometimes even carry the single serve packets as an "emergency" meal. 200 calories but still filling.

pjsam1156 01-30-2012 07:09 PM

I'm so sorry--but if I ever gave up sugar--life would not be worth living:hyst:
It's my one addiction. Sugar is not good for ANYONE--so, I realize I would be much better off w/o it. But, I haven't been able to pull off even one day w/o sugar, even during all my LC years--I would still have a sugar-free cookie or sugar-free candy--which are just empty calories, as well.:laugh:
I wish you good luck and am impressed by anyone contemplating such a challenge!:high5:

jem51 01-30-2012 07:59 PM

I think even JUDDD'ers should pay attention and not use UD's as binge or carb fest days. For many, it may cancel out any benefit whether weight loss or health bene's.

This is where CAD met it's demise; the reward meal became a binge meal for those who may be sensitive to sugary stuff and they said, 'I'm following the rules and can't understand why it's not working'.

The peop who create some of these plans do not take into consideration that their followers may not be able to stop w a moderate amt of certain 'food'.

gotsomeold 01-31-2012 06:12 AM

Makes sense. I read CAD and Fast-5 and decided those sounded like too much discipline for me. When I think about it though, I have only had two desserts since January began. Each of them extra-special flavors culminating gourmet meals. Just like on lc, I can walk by DH's bowl of dark chocolate M&Ms without even feeling an interest. But get out my way if I see a spinach/gruyere souffle or barbequed shrimp on an UD!

LadyKT 01-31-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15376241)
Just like on lc, I can walk by DH's bowl of dark chocolate M&Ms without even feeling an interest. But get out my way if I see a spinach/gruyere souffle or barbequed shrimp on an UD!

Maybe i'm not at that point yet - but if chips or M&Ms, or even anything remotely sweet passes my way, I dive in head first! I'm doing this because I need to get in control. I'm so out of control that i'm getting to that 'desperate' point. Meh.