Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 831mariposa
Stats: 148/135/135 5'5
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: 1/15/12 Atkins Induction, 1/29/12 JUDDD/LC
Contemplating....

Okay, so I haven't given Atkins a fair shot, I've only gotten to day 13 of induction today, and not sure if I have lost anything really, maybe 2lbs, but my scale is an up and down every-other-day thing anyhow. I have tried Atkins in the past with the same small starting results, and gave up then.

I had actually thought about doing an up-day down-day diet prior to Atkins and even bought a book.(The Alternate-Day Diet by Johnson)

I "only" have 10-15lbs to lose, but I might as well be 300lbs(it feels); the psychological struggle I've had with these pounds has been 4yrs strong and I've never succeeded. It seems no matter what I do my body fights tooth and nail to set back at 148. (I have had blood-work done and I'm in optimal health, at least on paper).

My question is, is there anyone who has tried both diets and had more success with one or the other with this amount of weight to lose? Anyone of similar weight and height? (About 146 right now and 5'5) If you have lost on JUDDD, at what rate?

Any and all comments appreciated. I want to know I'm on an effective diet for my body

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 831mariposa; 01-28-2012 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: included height
831mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hi! There are LOTS of folks here who have come from low carb because it just wasn't getting the job done for them! They were struggling for months with very little weight loss, with NO weight loss, and even sometimes with weight gain! And then they've come here to do JUDDD, and it's like a miracle. They start losing weight.

You can eat any foods you choose, and many (many) of us eat at a much higher carb level than we did previously on our low carb diets, and still.. lose weight! In fact, sometimes it's almost as though the body was in carb starvation mode and refusing to lose, and then when some carbs are reintroduced into the diet, there might be some regained water weight, but the body starts losing FAT again, and the measurements get smaller, and finally they begin to see weight loss happening on the scale! That's pretty exciting.

Hope you'll join us. The book you have is this diet plan. Johnson Up Day Down Day diet plan. JUDDD. (The Alternate Day Diet) That's probably a sign that you're supposed to be here! So.....
Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Hi! There are LOTS of folks here who have come from low carb because it just wasn't getting the job done for them! They were struggling for months with very little weight loss, with NO weight loss, and even sometimes with weight gain! And then they've come here to do JUDDD, and it's like a miracle. They start losing weight.

You can eat any foods you choose, and many (many) of us eat at a much higher carb level than we did previously on our low carb diets, and still.. lose weight! In fact, sometimes it's almost as though the body was in carb starvation mode and refusing to lose, and then when some carbs are reintroduced into the diet, there might be some regained water weight, but the body starts losing FAT again, and the measurements get smaller, and finally they begin to see weight loss happening on the scale! That's pretty exciting.

Hope you'll join us. The book you have is this diet plan. Johnson Up Day Down Day diet plan. JUDDD. (The Alternate Day Diet) That's probably a sign that you're supposed to be here! So.....

Thank you, SoHappy! (what a :-)) name, love it!) Awesome to have such a quick and positive reply, thanks a ton! I'm really starting to go nuts here, and I think I'm driving my husband crazy in the process as well.
I do have the right book then, sounds like I have nothing to lose. I may just be seeing you around here!

Last edited by 831mariposa; 01-28-2012 at 07:36 PM..
Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Mariposa!

I'm 5'6" and was 150# and STUCK on LC when I came to JUDDD. I figured out my calorie numbers at 1700 to 1800 and as long as I ate between those numbers on my UDs, I lost. I quickly dropped to my goal weight of 145# and tried to maintain by having FDs (free days with no calorie restriction or counting) but I've been dropping another 5# each month while on maintenance, so I'm trying to stop losing!

How to Stop Losing?

Welcome again! I think you'll love it here.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Mariposa!

I'm 5'6" and was 150# and STUCK on LC when I came to JUDDD. I figured out my calorie numbers at 1700 to 1800 and as long as I ate between those numbers on my UDs, I lost. I quickly dropped to my goal weight of 145# and tried to maintain by having FDs (free days with no calorie restriction or counting) but I've been dropping another 5# each month while on maintenance, so I'm trying to stop losing!

How to Stop Losing?

Welcome again! I think you'll love it here.

Wow, sophiethecat, congratulations to you! I would love to have a problem like trying not to lose anymore!! Glad you found something that really works, and I will keep your numbers in mind when I mess with my calculations.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of foods do you favor on your free days/up days?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Welcome Mariposa!

Depending on each individual metabolism and on how much healing each body needs, it seems to take between five minutes and a month for the stress response enzymes to permeate the body.

You eat what you want on UD. Pay careful attention to how your body reacts to foods: for me eating some foods on UD is a guarantee of hunger on DD, some foods make me feel bloated, I just sail right through eating other foods that used to cause me to have cravings or (ugh) gas.

I think Dr J is correct when he says as our bodies heal we tend to start craving 'healthy' foods. The other day I realized I could have ice cream but really wanted zucchini. Watch your body's reaction to foods, learn to deal with a very non-intuitive woe, and watch the weight melt away. This is so much fun!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13

I'm new to JUDDD but I love it! The first 2 weeks of DDs were tough but now they are easy peasy!
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Hello to gotmesomold and lil miss, and a few more questions

Thanks for your input everyone! I don't think I am going to suffer too terribly as I just came from Atkins induction anyhow, so I'm already in a diet mindset.
I'm probably going to be eating low carb even on my up days, at least until I feel confident things are moving along.
Today I am going for my first DD.
I have the Johnson book, but I loaned it to a friend, so I asked her to bring it for me tomorrow when I see her at exercise class. I have a few questions.

Do you guys exercise on down days? How do you feel? I chose to do my down day today because M, W, F i do a 5:30am boot camp class, and I figured I am going to want to eat these days!

Second question, I read the the intro thread for JUDDD, and was curious about this quote, from gotsomeold; "Effectively, you are in ketosis but every other day you get to gobble."---Does this really happen! Does anyone have the ketosis symptoms either on-going or every other day, and do you test with strips? This seems too good to be true, would love this to happen!
(My body seems to be clearing out carbs ultra-fast. Last night I officially broke Atkins induction by having champagne and cheesecake, and by this AM i was pink!! I couldn't believe it. So this AM I was excited and encouraged to eat LC on my first DD. Two scrambled eggs, dry fried.)

Thanks for being so responsive and friendly, I like it better here then the Atkins board already

P.S> sorry gotsomeold for spelling your name wrong in the title. It won't let me edit that

Last edited by 831mariposa; 01-29-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
mariposa! I have stats similar to yours. I've been trying to lose with low carb for a long time...kept bouncing up and down. While on low carb, I've managed to stay around 132-134 sometimes and was happy at that weight, but it was tough to hold on to it for very long. JUDDD has been so much easier for me. I've now managed to get below my goal and I don't know whether to maintain or try to go lower. I still wear sizes in the 8-10 range, mostly 8s.

I continue to follow low carb, but I'm starting to eat some fruit now. I have a hard time with sweets, such as pie, cake, candy, etc. Sets me off where I start looking for all the treats in the house that I can find...and where my DH is, there are definitely sweets (he is thin!).

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
mariposa! I have stats similar to yours. I've been trying to lose with low carb for a long time...kept bouncing up and down. While on low carb, I've managed to stay around 132-134 sometimes and was happy at that weight, but it was tough to hold on to it for very long. JUDDD has been so much easier for me. I've now managed to get below my goal and I don't know whether to maintain or try to go lower. I still wear sizes in the 8-10 range, mostly 8s.

I continue to follow low carb, but I'm starting to eat some fruit now. I have a hard time with sweets, such as pie, cake, candy, etc. Sets me off where I start looking for all the treats in the house that I can find...and where my DH is, there are definitely sweets (he is thin!).
Hi shirlc!! Congrats to you on meeting and surpassing your goal! I have 135 as my goal, but that is playing safe. I would love to actually be 130 or 125. I'm a tight size 7, want to be a 5.(pre-kids weight)
It's great to hear from someone my same size who has had success, I hope to be where you are. I'm 5'5 as well, with a solid frame and hourglass shape(lol well that is my shape minus the extra fat)

I'm thinking I probably don't have the discipline yet to eat whatever I want on my up days, I am like you, once I'm on a roll the cabinets get raided!
We have three kids here and my husband eats whatever and often brings home temptation(despite my protests) so it can be really frustrating. I've asked him to be supportive and do this with me, even though he isn't big, but his answer is always "Why should the rest of the family suffer?!" I've given up on this argument lol.

What are your UD and DD numbers?
Mine were calculated at 1763up and 354down @20%. I'm gonna do 400 for down though and try and stay at 1500 on up
Old 01-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 831mariposa View Post
Hi shirlc!! Congrats to you on meeting and surpassing your goal! I have 135 as my goal, but that is playing safe. I would love to actually be 130 or 125. I'm a tight size 7, want to be a 5.(pre-kids weight)
It's great to hear from someone my same size who has had success, I hope to be where you are. I'm 5'5 as well, with a solid frame and hourglass shape(lol well that is my shape minus the extra fat)

I'm thinking I probably don't have the discipline yet to eat whatever I want on my up days, I am like you, once I'm on a roll the cabinets get raided!
We have three kids here and my husband eats whatever and often brings home temptation(despite my protests) so it can be really frustrating. I've asked him to be supportive and do this with me, even though he isn't big, but his answer is always "Why should the rest of the family suffer?!" I've given up on this argument lol.

Mine were calculated at 1763up and 354down @20%. I'm gonna do 400 for down though and try and stay at 1500 on up
May I ask why you are going to change your JUDDD recommended calorie number? Especially before even getting into the diet plan?

Part of what makes it work the best seems to be the big difference between having high UDs and low DDs. I doesn't seem like it would make a difference, but it most often does.

By lowering your UD calories, you are changing this more toward a general diet where you have to eat at lowered calories every day, and that's what we try to stay away from, because we're also trying to stimulate our metabolisms to run at a better burn rate.. so that when we're finally slim and trim, we can also find ourselves eating higher calories than we've been able to for years!

Keeping that UD calorie number up there, even pounding up against it and exceeding it sometimes, seems to stimulate metabolism better than feeding ourselves fewer calories, and being low every day.

Just thought I'd mention it from this viewpoint. I want you to succeed and have great good luck with JUDDD.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #12

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Ditto, the gap is the magic trick.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
May I ask why you are going to change your JUDDD recommended calorie number? Especially before even getting into the diet plan?

Part of what makes it work the best seems to be the big difference between having high UDs and low DDs. I doesn't seem like it would make a difference, but it most often does.

By lowering your UD calories, you are changing this more toward a general diet where you have to eat at lowered calories every day, and that's what we try to stay away from, because we're also trying to stimulate our metabolisms to run at a better burn rate.. so that when we're finally slim and trim, we can also find ourselves eating higher calories than we've been able to for years!

Keeping that UD calorie number up there, even pounding up against it and exceeding it sometimes, seems to stimulate metabolism better than feeding ourselves fewer calories, and being low every day.

Just thought I'd mention it from this viewpoint. I want you to succeed and have great good luck with JUDDD.
Hi SoHappy,

I didn't really think about it well I guess, i just looked at the 1763 number and immediately said "too high" in my head. I've always felt like my metabolism is broken, so my relationship with food is messy. I want to succeed at well, so I definitely welcome everyone who has done this to chime in, especially if they see something that might cause me issues.
If you think this is going to mess me up, I will go for 1763. I am using a fantastic app called Fat Secret, which is on my phone too, so I am having no trouble tracking my calories. I actually have found it to be fun! It fits right into the obsessive part of my personality.

Thanks for the advice, so 1763 it is!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi SoHappy,

I didn't really think about it well I guess, i just looked at the 1763 number and immediately said "too high" in my head. I've always felt like my metabolism is broken, so my relationship with food is messy. I want to succeed at well, so I definitely welcome everyone who has done this to chime in, especially if they see something that might cause me issues.
If you think this is going to mess me up, I will go for 1763. I am using a fantastic app called Fat Secret, which is on my phone too, so I am having no trouble tracking my calories. I actually have found it to be fun! It fits right into the obsessive part of my personality.

Thanks for the advice, so 1763 it is!
LOL! Well, the JUDDD calorie calculator actually gives us (usually) a higher number for our *maintenance* calorie number than many/most other calculators do.. but I think it's because this isn't actually our true number. It's set a little higher to work against the very low DD calorie numbers that we do on those days. So it's set a little more than otherwise, to work against those DD numbers.

IF you do JUDDD correctly for two to three weeks, and preferably three.. that will give your body time to adapt to this plan, time to refill with water weight if you are going to eat at a little higher carb level, and begin to lose body fat. Then, if you are truly not losing any body fat, that would be the time to revisit that UD calorie number. But make it prove to you that the number is too high for you, individually, to lose weight before lowering intentionally. (Just my suggestion.)
Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
LOL! Well, the JUDDD calorie calculator actually gives us (usually) a higher number for our *maintenance* calorie number than many/most other calculators do.. but I think it's because this isn't actually our true number. It's set a little higher to work against the very low DD calorie numbers that we do on those days. So it's set a little more than otherwise, to work against those DD numbers.

IF you do JUDDD correctly for two to three weeks, and preferably three.. that will give your body time to adapt to this plan, time to refill with water weight if you are going to eat at a little higher carb level, and begin to lose body fat. Then, if you are truly not losing any body fat, that would be the time to revisit that UD calorie number. But make it prove to you that the number is too high for you, individually, to lose weight before lowering intentionally. (Just my suggestion.)
Alright lady, I will give it three weeks and see how I fare. I will be around here and I'm sure I will come up with more questions! Really hoping I can do well and be able to be a motivation for other new board members in the future, much as you guys are for me right now at this point in my journey.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
You'll do great! Just commit to the 3 weeks and dont stray!
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

My husband has finally started to be supportive of my efforts because he sees that it is working!

My UD number is 1600 and my DD is 500. I'm sure that you are a lot younger than me if you still have kids in the house!!! I'm 65 so it would be logical for my UD number not to be as high. The 500 works for me, but sometimes I go below it. I've found, though, that I'm doing fine with my numbers so I don't try to fix something that isn't broken!

Pat gave you great advice...as she always does...I say just go for it!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I will keep your numbers in mind when I mess with my calculations.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of foods do you favor on your free days/up days?
Yes, I see you've got some good advice about not short-changing yourself on your UDs. You want to get your metabolism revved up so by the time you get to maintenance, you may be able to eat even more calories.

As far as what foods I eat, just pretty much everything I have become more lowER to moderate carb after being on JUDDD a while, but that's just how my tastes and preferences started to settle. On JUDDD, you can eat whatever you want as long as you respect your calorie limit. How you choose to fill that calorie requirement is up to you.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03

You're going to love JUDDD. I'm another long-time low carber who could get close to goal, but just couldn't quite get all the way there, and I had trouble maintaining. I started the week of Thanksgiving, six pounds above my goal, ate all kinds of junk I wasn't accustomed to through the holidays, but always strictly observed my DDs of 500-600 calories. I bounced around quite a bit, but would always come back down after one or two DDs. Then, the scale numbers started sliding down slowly, and I found myself a total of ten pounds down, four pounds BELOW goal. It's been easy to maintain, and I'm ecstatic. I just bought size 4 dress pants! I'm 54 years old and 5'7". I keep my UD numbers around 1800-1900, although on the weekends, I get a little carried away. JUDDD is very forgiving. If you screw up, you just do better tomorrow. I love it and I'm sure you will, too!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=theredhead;15372349
I just bought size 4 dress pants! QUOTE]

Wow, Laurie, good for you!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Thank you again, ladies.
Love the before and after, theredhead! Wow, size 4 and 5'7 I think you said? That is lovely!!!
Yes, I'm a little younger, I'm 27. I am just going to stick with the numbers the JUDDD calculator gave me for now like suggested.
@Shirlc and theredhead--So I showed theredhead's before and after pics to my husband and teased him and said, "See her husband was supportive!" and he said to me kinda I guess like your husband, Shirlc--"If I see that it's working, then maybe I will join." He said he has watched me constantly start and stop a million different diets and doesn't want to do what I've done to my body to his. EEeeeks! LOL
Well I will show him!!! Hoping this to be my last start.
Thanks for the support, Lil miss, Sohappy, sophiethecat, and everyone else who has contributed.
I'm having such a great time hearing from everyone here, trying to memorize names with profile pics, I'm sooo bad with names. Just an advance notice if I screw up your names!

Last edited by 831mariposa; 01-29-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Thank you again, ladies.
Love the before and after, theredhead! Wow, size 4 and 5'7 I think you said? That is lovely!!!
Yes, I'm a little younger, I'm 27. I am just going to stick with the numbers the JUDDD calculator gave me for now like suggested.
@Shirlc and theredhead--So I showed theredhead's before and after pics to my husband and teased him and said, "See her husband was supportive!" and he said to me kinda I guess like your husband, Shirlc--"If I see that it's working, then maybe I will join." He said he has watched me constantly start and stop a million different diets and doesn't want to do what I've done to my body to his. EEeeeks! LOL
Well I will show him!!! Hoping this to be my last start.
Thanks for the support, Lil miss, Sohappy, sophiethecat, and everyone else who has contributed.
I'm having such a great time hearing from everyone here, trying to memorize names with profile pics, I'm sooo bad with names. Just an advance notice if I screw up your names!
I know what you mean. I get used to a certain person's avi picture, and associate it with that person, and then they go and change to an avi picture of their dog or cat or flowers or a Holiday scene, and it takes a couple of days for me to get used to that being them again.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I know what you mean. I get used to a certain person's avi picture, and associate it with that person, and then they go and change to an avi picture of their dog or cat or flowers or a Holiday scene, and it takes a couple of days for me to get used to that being them again.
Hehe, I think we are all like that. Takes some getting used to.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Hahaha ya, nobody change your pic! j/k

Ok here is another quick question.

I ran three miles and couldn't go without a few extra calories. Let me know if this logic is correct.

512 eaten calories
-
344 burned
=
net of 168 calories for today???
or does it not really work like this
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Hahaha ya, nobody change your pic! j/k

Ok here is another quick question.

I ran three miles and couldn't go without a few extra calories. Let me know if this logic is correct.

512 eaten calories
-
344 burned
=
net of 168 calories for today???
or does it not really work like this
Well, probably not. And especially probably not for most of us.

First of all, from what i read on so many of the fitness sites, those *you burned X number of calories* lists and readouts on the exercise machines, etc. vastly overstate the truth of how many calories you truly have burned above your basic metabolic rate if your just didn't do any exercise and were only lounging by the pool. Like, you are told you burn 400 calories working out for this hour, but the truth of it is.. you would have burned 300 calories anyway, just by being alive. You only burned an extra 100 calories for all that exercise you did. (That's why they say exercise isn't nearly as effective for weight loss as diet is, although it makes your body look fabulous and well toned, etc.)

Then another thing is.. we all burn at a different rate. One size does not fit all when it comes to how many calories you will burn up doing a certain exercise for a certain length of time. You might burn more than I do, doing the same thing, and he may well burn twice as much as either of us does. So they can't predict that very well anyway.

Plus, most of us don't burn calories all that well anyway. I think that's part of why it's easier for us to get fat than other people whose efforts burn more calories for them. I don't think we burn up our calories through exercise as efficiently as some others do, so I especially think those lists and readouts are especially off for us.

Then the last thing is, and this is sort of individual thought here.. but if I get all sweaty and breathless and exhausted working out hard, burning up some extra calories while I'm working it.. that's going toward my weight loss. Do I really want to negate it? Wipe out all that effort by eating more calories to put back what I just managed to burn away?

I just exercise. Whenever I feel like it. Regardless of whether it's an UD or a DD. I often have a bit of protein after I work out. Usually just a hard boiled egg or some chicken. But I don't try to eat more just to replace what I just lost by working out. I just keep the daily calories about where they should be and let it all ride.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-29-2012 at 08:16 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, probably not. And especially probably not for most of us.

First of all, from what i read on so many of the fitness sites, those *you burned X number of calories* lists and readouts on the exercise machines, etc. vastly overstate the truth of how many calories you truly have burned above your basic metabolic rate if your just didn't do any exercise and were only lounging by the pool. Like, you are told you burn 400 calories working out for this hour, but the truth of it is.. you would have burned 300 calories anyway, just by being alive. You only burned an extra 100 calories for all that exercise you did. (That's why they say exercise isn't nearly as effective for weight loss as diet is, although it makes your body look fabulous and well toned, etc.)

Then another thing is.. we all burn at a different rate. One size does not fit all when it comes to how many calories you will burn up doing a certain exercise for a certain length of time. You might burn more than I do, doing the same thing, and he may well burn twice as much as either of us does. So they can't predict that very well anyway.

Plus, most of us don't burn calories all that well anyway. I think that's part of why it's easier for us to get fat than other people whose efforts burn more calories for them. I don't think we burn up our calories through exercise as efficiently as some others do, so I especially think those lists and readouts are especially off for us.

Then the last thing is, and this is sort of individual thought here.. but if I get all sweaty and breathless and exhausted working out hard, burning up some extra calories while I'm working it.. that's going toward my weight loss. Do I really want to negate it? Wipe out all that effort by eating more calories to put back what I just managed to burn away?

I just exercise. Whenever I feel like it. Regardless of whether it's an UD or a DD. I often have a bit of protein after I work out. Usually just a hard boiled egg or some chicken. But I don't try to eat more just to replace what I just lost by working out. I just keep the daily calories about where they should be and let it all ride.
A big "Awwwww man!" I'm still within a reasonable calorie limit for my DD, not too far away at least. I was actually feeling rather light headed this afternoon. I'm done eating for the night, going to be good. First day, done!
Night everyone!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

And thanks for everything today, sorry if I made you all feel like unpaid personal diet coaches.
I really appreciate it.
And I get my book back tommorow, gonna go text my girlfriend right now and tell her not to forget to bring it, so I am going to read the book cover to cover

Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
A big "Awwwww man!" I'm still within a reasonable calorie limit for my DD, not too far away at least. I was actually feeling rather light headed this afternoon. I'm done eating for the night, going to be good. First day, done!
Night everyone!
If it were me and I was feeling light headed, I would go ahead and have a little something to eat. You won't wreck your calories if you go up a little more on those occasions, (and eventually your body will probably adjust, but it might be good to get a little something anyway after exercise). If you need something, by all means, have something to eat so you don't feel sick. It could be half a protein bar or shake, or a little regular food.

Hope you enjoy your UD tomorrow!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #29

Quote:
And thanks for everything today, sorry if I made you all feel like unpaid personal diet coaches.
I really appreciate it.
And I get my book back tommorow, gonna go text my girlfriend right now and tell her not to forget to bring it, so I am going to read the book cover to cover

That will be a fun read for you. It answers several questions. And raises a few.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Good morning Mariposa and welcome to your first UD!

Sorry I did not reply to your question about ketosis yesterday (sadly real life keeps interrupting my fun activities like this forum).

I started a minor fire-storm when I said JUDDDers are in ketosis. I based the statement on other sources that say there are several ways to activate consistent fat-burning. These include LC eating, calorie restriction, and exercise. In the book Dr J says JUDDD BUDDDs excrete ketones in excess of normal, and specifically that people eating at or below 25% of maintenance on DD excrete excess ketones.

Of course, that is such a loaded statement for LCers. We finally agreed the way to put it is, JUDDD is a ketogenic woe that invokes consistent fat-burning even when carbs are eaten.

Personally I think LC eating taps into a portion of the much more powerful effect we get from alternate day caloric restriction. It is like JUDDD invokes (I am making this number up) three wonderful things involving health and weight loss/maintenance, and LC is a path to one of those things.

I certainly get all the physical responses I got to ketosis on LC: upbeat mood, boundless energy, a feeling of real stability inside myself. Appetite suppression (which, I think, is actually invoked by several of JUDDDs wonderful things). And all of topped by a metabolism that is just humming along because of eating to maintenance on UD.

There is also a psychological advantage I think JUDDD has over LC: because of the every other day rotation, DD offers a constant series of corrections that just feel good (and keep the scale trending down down down). Once that old JUDDD magic was established in my bod, I relaxed. Weight loss really did change from being a challenge and obsession, and became a very nice woe/wol.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 01-30-2012 at 03:47 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote