Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 831mariposa
Stats: 148/135/135 5'5
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: 1/15/12 Atkins Induction, 1/29/12 JUDDD/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Good morning Mariposa and welcome to your first UD!

Sorry I did not reply to your question about ketosis yesterday (sadly real life keeps interrupting my fun activities like this forum).

I started a minor fire-storm when I said JUDDDers are in ketosis. I based the statement on other sources that say there are several ways to activate consistent fat-burning. These include LC eating, calorie restriction, and exercise. In the book Dr J says JUDDD BUDDDs excrete ketones in excess of normal, and specifically that people eating at or below 25% of maintenance on DD excrete excess ketones.

Of course, that is such a loaded statement for LCers. We finally agreed the way to put it is, JUDDD is a ketogenic woe that invokes consistent fat-burning even when carbs are eaten.

Personally I think LC eating taps into a portion of the much more powerful effect we get from alternate day caloric restriction. It is like JUDDD invokes (I am making this number up) three wonderful things involving health and weight loss/maintenance, and LC is a path to one of those things.

I certainly get all the physical responses I got to ketosis on LC: upbeat mood, boundless energy, a feeling of real stability inside myself. Appetite suppression (which, I think, is actually invoked by several of JUDDDs wonderful things). And all of topped by a metabolism that is just humming along because of eating to maintenance on UD.

There is also a psychological advantage I think JUDDD has over LC: because of the every other day rotation, DD offers a constant series of corrections that just feel good (and keep the scale trending down down down). Once that old JUDDD magic was established in my bod, I relaxed. Weight loss really did change from being a challenge and obsession, and became a very nice woe/wol.
Good morning gotsomeold and everyone,

Yes, here I am on day 2, UD. I got my book (Johnson's) back that I loaned my friend, so I'm going to do my reading tonight. Already have done my workout and am getting ready for work now. I feel good! Hope everyone else is having a great morning and health and happiness for today.

No problem gotsomeold on the reply time, you guys are so fast, even the next day is better time than I had with replies in the Atkins board. I understand we are all busy!! I myself have 2 and sometimes 3 kids under 5 at home, work part-time, and school part-time. I had yesterday off so was able to be on here on and off all day, which worked out great for a start day.

Thanks for the clarification with the ketosis.
"In the book Dr J says JUDDD BUDDDs excrete ketones in excess of normal, and specifically that people eating at or below 25% of maintenance on DD excrete excess ketones." I am going somewhere in between 20 and 25% for my DD's so it sounds like things should move along. I see this plan being more manageable, (something that you can keep doing continuously without the psychological stress of feeling restricted or punished) is obviously going to be a more successful path.

I have been testing myself with the ketone strips since Jan.15th, almost obsessively. I know I'm not supposed to rely on them, but it's just another vice I've developed, much like my weighing in several times a day. I hope that as my body can pick up a losing rhythm, maybe these obsessive habits will die down a little. (as a note on the strips, I have been in ketosis supposedly this whole time, lol. I drank alcohol one night and the next day was peeing pink again, as well as another experiment with cheesecake and champagne. Next day I was right back on)

"Once that old JUDDD magic was established in my bod, I relaxed. Weight loss really did change from being a challenge and obsession, and became a very nice woe/wol."--This sounds perfect for me and exactly what I need. I'm tired of obsessing, stressing, even crying over food and weight and I know my husband is too. It's time for some sanity!!!
I told him that I was starting this plan and told him about the UP day DD day so that he could try and be more mindful. For example, we can plan our dinners out on my UP days and such. Not too big of a compromise I think.

Alright, I really gotta run out of here, see you tonight!
831mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh my dear, I encourage you to take a deeeep breath and stop worrying about something that is essentially not yours to control - like how many ketones your body excretes and whether the brand of ketostix you bought is sensitive enough to register them.

Focus on the things that are truly yours: what do you need to eat to keep calories low, exercise hard, and NOT go to sleep feeling light-headed on DD? What pleasures can you enjoy on UD that stay within/very near your calculated calories yet make you feel free?

Weigh as many times a day as you want. But there is a famous old JUDDD saying (from Beeb, one of our heroes) you need to repeat every time you weigh. Before looking, say aloud, "The scale! She bounces!" Because on JUDDD, she really does. I suggest you choose one time of day and designate it your official weight of the day. It will probably go up after almost every UD. NBD. Because, the deeper you get into this, the more the weekly trend is down-down-down. Learn your pattern and ignore the bounces - they mean nothing.

JUDDD is so much more more than a ketogenic diet. As you will see in the book, DD is pouring enzymes into your bloodstream that burn fat and heal so many damages. The enzymes accumulate. Some people get there in a few weeks. Some people take a bit longer - I was already losing and very happy when, in my fourth week, I realized I felt different, energized, calmer, better. And I emotionally understood all I had to do was follow the DD/UD rotation rules and, wow, weight goes bye-bye. Those enzymes are amazing. And they have already begun accumulating in your body. Very soon they will be there when you need them. I hope you can follow the very flexible rules and let go.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 01-30-2012 at 11:49 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh, one more thing. Unless your DH is a combination saint and hyper-genius who keeps a written log of everything you say, assume you are going to have to remind him, "This is a DD, can we wait until tomorrow to do that?" and "Can we eat there today? It's an UD." over and over and over. These are patterns that seem to exceed non-JUDDDers ability to comprehend.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 831mariposa View Post
And thanks for everything today, sorry if I made you all feel like unpaid personal diet coaches.
I really appreciate it.
And I get my book back tommorow, gonna go text my girlfriend right now and tell her not to forget to bring it, so I am going to read the book cover to cover

mariposa! You will LOVEEE JUDDD! Listen to our "JUDDD gurus" So Happy, Sophie, and Beeb. They know what they are talking about.

Also--and this will take LOTS of time--try to take the time to look through the threads that talk about what people eat on DDs and recipes for DDs. They are SOOOO helpful!
Great to have you here with us!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh my dear, I encourage you to take a deeeep breath and stop worrying about something that is essentially not yours to control - like how many ketones your body excretes and whether the brand of ketostix you bought is sensitive enough to register them.

Focus on the things that are truly yours: what do you need to eat to keep calories low, exercise hard, and NOT go to sleep feeling light-headed on DD? What pleasures can you enjoy on UD that stay within/very near your calculated calories yet make you feel free?

Weigh as many times a day as you want. But there is a famous old JUDDD saying (from Beeb, one of our heroes) you need to repeat every time you weigh. Before looking, say aloud, "The scale! She bounces!" Because on JUDDD, she really does. I suggest you choose one time of day and designate it your official weight of the day. It will probably go up after almost every UD. NBD. Because, the deeper you get into this, the more the weekly trend is down-down-down. Learn your pattern and ignore the bounces - they mean nothing.

JUDDD is so much more more than a ketogenic diet. As you will see in the book, DD is pouring enzymes into your bloodstream that burn fat and heal so many damages. The enzymes accumulate. Some people get there in a few weeks. Some people take a bit longer - I was already losing and very happy when, in my fourth week, I realized I felt different, energized, calmer, better. And I emotionally understood all I had to do was follow the DD/UD rotation rules and, wow, weight goes bye-bye. Those enzymes are amazing. And they have already begun accumulating in your body. Very soon they will be there when you need them. I hope you can follow the very flexible rules and let go.
You speak the truth, and I know it deep inside, beneath my shallow need to look good in my jeans Feeling good and having a real effect on your health is soo more important than just the weight. I would love to stabilize and feel
"...different, energized, calmer, better."
I have mood disorders that I have been dealing with since my teens, and have been on and off different meds. I am currently keeping a mood journal to bring back to a new, and what I hope and believe to be, competent psychiatrist I just started seeing.
Finding a diet that could balance me would really put a missing piece of the puzzle together for me. I would sooo love to find a holistic approach then end up with a million new prescriptions that end up hurting me!

Today I had a great day, ate sensible during the day and then ate with the family without stress. Loved!

I'm already starting to gear my mind for tomorrow's DD. Plan on jogging as well.

thanks gotsomeold, I hope I can CHILL too! LOL
Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
mariposa! You will LOVEEE JUDDD! Listen to our "JUDDD gurus" So Happy, Sophie, and Beeb. They know what they are talking about.

Also--and this will take LOTS of time--try to take the time to look through the threads that talk about what people eat on DDs and recipes for DDs. They are SOOOO helpful!
Great to have you here with us!
Hi pjsam1156,
Thanks for the welcome
I willl definitely check out the recipes, I can use some culinary help for sure.
See u around!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post

..... I started the week of Thanksgiving, six pounds above my goal, ate all kinds of junk I wasn't accustomed to through the holidays, but always strictly observed my DDs of 500-600 calories. I bounced around quite a bit, but would always come back down after one or two DDs. Then, the scale numbers started sliding down slowly, and I found myself a total of ten pounds down, four pounds BELOW goal. It's been easy to maintain, and I'm ecstatic!
I think we are twins... Except that I am 64 and 5' 3". I am still dropping ponds although aiming at maintenance, how nice is that.

Quote:
Oh, one more thing. Unless your DH is a combination saint and hyper-genius who keeps a written log of everything you say, assume you are going to have to remind him, "This is a DD, can we wait until tomorrow to do that?" and "Can we eat there today? It's an UD." over and over and over. These are patterns that seem to exceed non-JUDDDers ability to comprehend.
Lol, how true

Quote:
Originally Posted by 831mariposa View Post
You speak the truth, and I know it deep inside, beneath my shallow need to look good in my jeans Feeling good and having a real effect on your health is soo more important than just the weight. I would love to stabilize and feel
"...different, energized, calmer, better."
I have mood disorders that I have been dealing with since my teens, and have been on and off different meds. I am currently keeping a mood journal to bring back to a new, and what I hope and believe to be, competent psychiatrist I just started seeing.
Finding a diet that could balance me would really put a missing piece of the puzzle together for me. I would sooo love to find a holistic approach then end up with a million new prescriptions that end up hurting me!

Today I had a great day, ate sensible during the day and then ate with the family without stress. Loved!

I'm already starting to gear my mind for tomorrow's DD. Plan on jogging as well.

thanks gotsomeold, I hope I can CHILL too! LOL
I do hope that you get the lovely benefits of calmness and general well being that so many here report. I think you are going to love your JUDDD journey. Looking forward to sharing all your success.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Welcome. U sound very into feeling ur best. Me too.

I'm 56 years of age, female, 5'6", 138# starting Judd, one week ago. Now after
Three dd/ lower calorie days. I'm down 3 lbs. ain't bad for trying.
I'm hooked. Think u will be also!!
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

I do hope that you get the lovely benefits of calmness and general well being that so many here report. I think you are going to love your JUDDD journey. Looking forward to sharing all your success.[/QUOTE]

Me too!!!!

Good morning Kissa and Eieio,
I'm on DD #2 here, so far, so good. Cheers to sharing the journey with new friends!