Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Fat Fast on DD's

I am trying this out as a way to maintain.

I do know that FF can help w breaking stalls, etc but I'm wondering if one could maintain w higher fat once weight is stable at goal.

I want to keep low calorie DD's for the health bene's so just decided to give this a whack.

Have only done one day and had some hunger issues later in the day and trouble sleeping due to hunger.
Not much different than LF DD's, really.

So today I'll see where I can extend time btw 'meals' so there well be room for something at night.

Anyone who's doing this, feel free to chime in w your experience.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'll be interested in your experience with this. I have only ever tried a fat fast once with cream cheese. And while I LOVE cream cheese, it wasn't enough to keep away a great deal of hunger, so I know I couldn't do it for my JUDDD DDs. I'm doing the cabbage-chicken-cheese thing these days. LOL

What foods are you including in your fat fast? Strictly fats? Or fatty proteins too.. And at what calorie level?

I think this should go really well for you if your enjoy the foods you are taking your DD calories from. Good luck and report back for us!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I was thinking about this when I saw the thread a couple days ago, but can't imagine feeling full on it.

I'd love to see a list of what you eat and the calorie levels.

I really like the cabbage/chicken thing too. Lots of bulk and stays with me for a long time.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I have never done a fat fast but I've always had good luck with eggs! Just plain hardboiled eggs, it's really hard to overeat those!
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
I wouldn't do it because I'm not metabolically resistant and that is what the Fat Fast is for. Dr Atkins even gave a warning that it could be dangerous for those who aren't metabolically resistant.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I am ff most DDs to the tune of 500 calories with a small dinner. Switching over to liquid fasting so I can incorporate low-cal yogurt. Either way, after two weeks, I have found:
  • My GI tract loves having the day off from solid foods.
  • My energy levels are bouncing off the ceiling.
  • Both approaches are great for my weight loss.

Jem, I suspect you are going to have to do some serious calorie tuning to ff in maintenance.

Bonnie, Dr A said the ff had to run for several days. ff on DD with regular food on UD should not be dangerous for anyone who has a normal metabolism and wants to try it.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 01-30-2012 at 05:54 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
What are the dangers of a FF?

Just curious. Not sure I will ever do this - I seem to do well on how I'm currently eating DD, but you never know what one will want to try in the future.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I am trying this out as a way to maintain.

I do know that FF can help w breaking stalls, etc but I'm wondering if one could maintain w higher fat once weight is stable at goal.

I want to keep low calorie DD's for the health bene's so just decided to give this a whack.

Have only done one day and had some hunger issues later in the day and trouble sleeping due to hunger.
Not much different than LF DD's, really.

So today I'll see where I can extend time btw 'meals' so there well be room for something at night.

Anyone who's doing this, feel free to chime in w your experience.
I can see this happening to me too, because while you can eat fat which is filling, you can't eat as much of it on a DD and keep within calorie limits, and so it may not be enough to satisfy all day.

I think this is one reason I quickly abandoned eating very LC on DD when I started JUDDD. As an example of one meal - Because frying my whole eggs even in a little oil was using up a lot of calories, when I could do an egg white omelet with veggies in a smidge of oil or no oil and feel full with less calories.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-30-2012 at 06:12 AM..
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And I, even during the carbs-n-sweets don't count calories bad old days, could add hwc to my morning coffee and not get hungry until mid-afternoon. That pattern is why I decided to try ff DDs.

I did a search on 'fat fasting danger'. Everything I found referred to long term fasting (malnutrition, mainly) ... NOT a problem when a calorie restricted, ff, or zero-cal DD is followed by gobble, gobble, gobble the next day. I don't have Dr A's book, so I can't check on the dangers he listed.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Besides, I don't think it's the fat itself that is "dangerous"--it is the calorie restriction (1000/day) over continuous days.

The range Dr A gives for the FF (which is basically the Kekwick diet) is 75-90% fat...if one is eating 1200 or 1500 calories or more every day at this percentage,
it's not much different than a lot of other LC/moderate protein plans out there--Kwasniewski, Barry Groves EFGT, etc.

This is what Dr A has to say:
"Let me make it clear that the Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant.
For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe.
But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen."
--And that is the only danger he mentions.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I really don't think Fat Fast is any more dangerous than ANY fasting over a period of time.

I'm still working on this. So far, by about 2-3pm, I am ravenously hungry and a small fat snack does not help much.

Maybe that is the time that I need to have a zucchini puree soup....I don't know.
I may still adjust and I really feel better w more energy doing fat.

There are more fatty foods I need to try out just to see if they can get me over the hump.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:08 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I really don't think Fat Fast is any more dangerous than ANY fasting over a period of time.

I'm still working on this. So far, by about 2-3pm, I am ravenously hungry and a small fat snack does not help much.

Maybe that is the time that I need to have a zucchini puree soup....I don't know.
I may still adjust and I really feel better w more energy doing fat.

There are more fatty foods I need to try out just to see if they can get me over the hump.
i tried a fat a fast last week. i too was hungry later in the day. i actually do better with higher protein. i did a mostly protein DD at a lower calorie total than the fat fast day and was way more satisfied. this surprised me actually. i always thought as long as i had plenty of fat i would stay full. but it seems that protein keeps me fuller.
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:57 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love the part about how we are each learning so much more about how our bodies work!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 01-31-2012 at 04:58 AM..
Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
i tried a fat a fast last week. i too was hungry later in the day. i actually do better with higher protein. i did a mostly protein DD at a lower calorie total than the fat fast day and was way more satisfied. this surprised me actually. i always thought as long as i had plenty of fat i would stay full. but it seems that protein keeps me fuller.
I am the same. It's protein that really fills me up! I was surprised to learn this because while I was on strict LC, I thought it was all the fat doing that. It was only after I'd been on JUDDD a while and suffered through a lot of DDs that I realized it was protein I needed.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You guys might be right. I am usually pretty full w protein and just need to find ways to love it w/o adding fat....and a ton of vegies which will make me have a grumbly tummy....not good.

Since I really seem to need the protein in the afternoon, maybe I can have more fat earlier w/o breaking the bank.

Stay tuned.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i have dveloped a renewed love for light miracle whip. i had quit eating it when i went lc. but it's great for DDs at only 20 cals/T and doesn't have the typical nasty beyond reason "light" taste.
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote