Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDDD Newbie (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/755288-juddd-newbie.html)

BigRunner 01-28-2012 07:23 AM

JUDDD Newbie

I am new here to the JUDDD forum. I have been eagerly reading the threads here and am currently half way through the Alternate Day Diet book on my Nook. For the past few weeks I have been following fairly close to Fast 5. Eating Dinner at 6pm and then nothing until noon the next day. Looking for more info from that is how I landed here.

A lot of the success stories here have inspired me to try. In particular, the ones where the person has been on low carb for years and just can't seem to lose any more. That would be me. I have been on low carb forever. I have in the last few months moved toward Paleo/Primal and ditched grains, dairy, etc. Still nothing. I had the "do I have to give up everything" mind games going.

The basic pattern is get sick of dieting, put on ten to twenty pounds, then diet to get the pounds back down. Problem is the down is alway thirty pounds from goal

What makes this even more frustrating is that I exercise quite a bit in that I run a couple of marathons a year (currently training). I have gained significant wait while running fifty mile weeks. :sad:

So, today is going to be my first down day. I ran my ten miles this morning (fasted). I am settling in here with my coffee and a little half/half. I went to the official website calculator and put in my numbers (male, 69 inches, 197 pounds, and 'exercise 3-5 days per week'). The results were: Normal:2951 and Down Day (20%) @ 590. Does that sound right based on your experience? In the book it recommends going down in exercise one level from where you think you should be. Do you do that? I ran 30 miles this week. Next week is 34 miles. Should I choose 20% with around 30 to lose.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Jbinme 01-28-2012 07:28 AM

I'm pretty new myself but want to say :welcome:

mykidsteacher 01-28-2012 08:24 AM

Welcome. I'm too new to give much advice on numbers, but there are plenty here who will jump in to help you out.

Good luck with JUDDD!

mainemom 01-28-2012 09:59 AM

Welcome, Big Runner! I'm one of those "lost most of it on LC" before coming to JUDDD. Can't speak as to the excercise level, but as for the DD food calories, have you considered upping to 25% or even 30%? Both are "weight loss mode" according to the Johnson UDDD site. You may not lose quite as quickly, but you'll be allowing yourself more food which might make this JUDDD way of eating for LIFE, more sustainable for you. 'Cause you know from experience that you can't treat this as a quick fix for the short term, then go back to eating SAD and expect to keep the weight off. And you're right - JUDDD helps get rid of that "have to give up everything" mentality, making it sustainable. Good luck to you and way to go w/the marathons. I'm still psyching myself up to do excercise DVDs!

theredhead 01-28-2012 10:26 AM

Welcome, BigRunner! :welcome:

I think you're going to be so surprised by how well JUDDD works! I'm also a long-time low carber who struggled to get to goal, and if I managed to touch it, I couldn't stay there. I like to eat, and I was not liking the feeling that food was not my friend.

Hang out with us and you'll be a happy JUDDD BUDDD!

Bonnie 01-28-2012 11:26 AM

:welcome:

mattsmama 01-28-2012 11:53 AM

Glad you are joining in the fun!

My husband is 6'1", and currently weighs 220 lbs.
He started JUDDD at 235, and his calories are DD-800, UD- 2900.

We exercise (cardio and weights) minimum three days per week, about one and half hours each workout.

You may want to experiment with slightly higher DD numbers. This woe is always kind of like a work in progress. As long as you are losing at a rate that is satisfactory to you, then feel free to customize your numbers as you see fit. We are definitely not a one-size-fits-all group, and you will see lots of various caloric needs here.

All that said, men definitely need to eat at a higher calorie number!

SoHappy 01-28-2012 12:18 PM

Welcome, Runner! Glad you're joining us here. This is not only a great group of supportive and encouraging people, it's a dynamite plan for weight loss and improved health.

Good luck with your weight loss and management. It's fun to be able to *diet for weight loss* only half the time, and to be able to eat anyway we choose to all the other days, and see that pay off for us in weight loss. And if your calorie numbers are set correctly for your UDs and your DDs, you'll enjoy an easy way to get to where you want to be, size-wise.

(Or as we also note, if you're not losing, you're probably going over.. usually on the UDs, or else those UD calories is set too high for you, individually. So that is our test. As we say, The Proof is in the Pudding.) But you are getting in a lot of exercise with the running, so I'll bet you do fabulously!

Good luck, and post here often with us. We have a great place to track your progress, threads for our bragging, which is very motivating for all the rest of us to read about, and it's just nice to have everyone interact here. One big happy family. You're going to fit right in! :high5: :welcome:

itsmeshelly01 01-28-2012 12:51 PM

Welcome Runner!!!
I also am one that came from eating lowcarb for years. I have been eating lowcarb for about 7yrs and have lost over 100lbs doing so but for some reason i started gaining some and wasnt able to just go back to induction and lose it again. I was really having to restrict and having to tweak this and that and it was just getting frustrating. I found JUDDD and am the happiest i have been in years with my woe. I added carbs slowly and i did some weight gain at the beginning with my body adjusting but i am leveling off and enjoying eating some carbs again. It feels wonderful to have a sandwich or a little ice cream. To just be able to eat some of the things the rest of my family eats is wonderful. You will love this woe!!! i know it will work great for you. I agree that you may want to up your DD calories at first and see how you do. I started at 600 to 700 and now because of the appetite suppression with JUDDD i am down to about 300 and barely even notice any hunger at all. This is a great group and very helpful!!!

gotsomeold 01-28-2012 12:59 PM

Welcome to the party!!!

I am with MattsMama. I think you are going to find a full DD very different from fasting w/one meal a day. Pleasantly different once the stress response kicks in and your appetite starts dropping.

And 590 for someone running from Timbuktu to Nome might be counter productive. I vote for start at 800 calories on DD then trim them gradually to whatever feels healthy and keeps your energy stable.

sophiethecat 01-28-2012 01:08 PM

:welcome: BR! :shake:

Glad you are joining all us losers here in JUDDDland! :)

Start with a higher DD if you need it. It's fine to work your way down.

I understand about weight loss crawling and stalling on LC. You start wondering what you will have to give up next to try to get the WL going again. But on JUDDD what you eat is up to you and the weight still comes off! :up: It flew off me so fast at times compared to how it did on just LC that I felt :stars: and couldn't believe I'd reached goal already! :laugh: You know how you often hear "the last 5 or 10 pounds is the hardest". They were the easiest thanks to JUDDD! :laugh:

gharkness 01-28-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

often hear "the last 5 or 10 pounds is the hardest". They were the easiest thanks to JUDDD! :laugh:
Which is why so many of us are here, after literally years on LC. When I first came to this place, I was shocked at the people who were below goal. WHAT? That's unheard of! Now, my intent is for people to "hear" of that from ME!

Welcome, and know that you aren't alone in coming from LC. It's not heresy! It makes good sense if you're not getting what you want out of LC.

Eieio 01-28-2012 03:51 PM

Yay, a runner! I'm only a jogger. Big differents.
But still fun. Anxious to see how u do with ur run and energy will
Corny joke..
Do U no the difference between a jogger and a runner??
The speed. Ha

Welcome

Eieio 01-28-2012 03:54 PM

Woops.
Interested to c how ur run and energys r will on JUddd.
Ei

BigRunner 01-29-2012 07:30 AM

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

I took the advice and decided on 800 calories for now for DD. I weighed in this morning at 196! That's down a pound. I weigh daily, but use my Saturday morning weigh-ins as my "claim it" weight.

I kept it pretty simple with things that were "pre measured" if you will. I had some cream cheese with thin sliced deli meats for "roll ups". I could slice off an ounce of cream cheese at a time (marked on the pkg) and the deli meat was 90 calories per package.Had a good sized helping of green beans too. I was busy painting most of the day, so I was occupied and didn't really think about food much.

Looking forward to an UD today.

I might even have **gasp** ....... some toast with my eggs this morning. My wife will think I have fallen and hit my grain filled head!

lil miss 01-29-2012 08:11 AM

Hi BigRunner! I am new to JUDDD but love it so far.

I too am a runner, lots of half marathons, 2 full marathons, the goofy all in the last few years AND I TOO GAINED WEIGHT WHILE TRAINING! What is up with that?

Taking a break from races right now [got burned out] and JUDDDing to get some LBs off and hope to be back running faster than ever soon...

Good Luck to you!

SoHappy 01-29-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRunner (Post 15370776)
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

I took the advice and decided on 800 calories for now for DD. I weighed in this morning at 196! That's down a pound. I weigh daily, but use my Saturday morning weigh-ins as my "claim it" weight.

I kept it pretty simple with things that were "pre measured" if you will. I had some cream cheese with thin sliced deli meats for "roll ups". I could slice off an ounce of cream cheese at a time (marked on the pkg) and the deli meat was 90 calories per package.Had a good sized helping of green beans too. I was busy painting most of the day, so I was occupied and didn't really think about food much.

Looking forward to an UD today.

I might even have **gasp** ....... some toast with my eggs this morning. My wife will think I have fallen and hit my grain filled head!

:hyst: We had hot buttered toast with our eggs this morning too. And mugs of good coffee with half & half. Nothing fancy at all, but that simple breakfast was delicious, very pleasant for us, and sort of *normal*.

I'm excited to see how well you do on JUDDD. I think you're going to be thrilled with how well you do on it, and how pleasant it is to have more dietary freedom now. :up: