Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monica1210
Stats: 168/148/135-140 5'6" Age 45
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 1/2/2012 started NK 9/7/13
Gotta respect those UD numbers!

First and foremost, love, love, love this plan. It could be that today is an UD and UDs are almost as good as sex.

I started this WOE on 1/2 and immediately dropped 5 pounds. Very excited and very happy. I was only tracking the DD calories. Then the weight loss stopped. I was eating to my heart's content on my UD and managed to maintain. Boy I was happy though! Years on LC diets had me scared to death of any carbs good and bad! I was eating bagels, FRUIT (!), cereal, rice (brown, can't go too crazy now!), and the occasional cookie.

Did a little reading on these boards and asked for help with my numbers. As much as I didn't want to count the UDs, the next day I did. Stayed right around 1770. Yesterday was my first DD after that. It felt like my first DD. I was hungry all day. I know I just have to adjust again to the lower numbers. 354 calories was too hard and I ended up eating 478.

This morning I was rewarded on the scale. Respect those UD numbers, and the rewards will come! I pray this is the downward trend I am looking for.

Now my question: If my UD numbers are 1772 and my DD 354, that totals 2126. Which averages to 1063. Is that going to send my metabolism into "starvation mode"?

Have a great Saturday everyone! Hubby is taking me out today/this evening for an overnight stay God knows where. Celebrating our 20 year anniversary!
monica1210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Congratulations on your loss. That's great!

As for starvation mode, you are perfectly safe. As long as you're repeatedly doing UD/DD with little variation, it's tricking your body into staying out of starvation mode. That's why you don't want to do multiple DDs in a row, so you can keep fooling that metabolism. I believe that's the "magic" of JUDDD, allowing us to eat all the food we love, then fasting or near-fasting, and doing it all over again, keeping the body and metabolism in a constant state of flux and confusion.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Bodies really don't understand the concept of averages. They start fresh each day.

The magic of JUDDD is UD prevents starvation mode and metabolism slow down. The super magic of JUDDD is DD invokes the first stages of starvation mode (Dr J calls it stress response) and sets us up tofeel better and lose more weight than we would on a low-cal diet.

That old JUDDD magic is it works for so very many people.

Welcome to club who have to monitor UD and DD.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
Happy Anniversary ! Thanks for your feedback, always good to hear other's experiences
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! Feeling good and just ate a bagel.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Congrats and Happy Anniversary!!
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
i couldn't have said it better!! one really needs to pay attention to the UD limit...the minute i did, i got to a lower number as well!!! so i feel that your statements apply to me as well and we are similar in calorie ranges...thanks for sharing so we know we are not alone!!! and HAPPPPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! 20 years is AWESOME! congrats!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Happy 20th Anniversary, Monica!!

And Congrats on your loss!!!

Yes, I absolutely do agree here - respect those UD #s!

There may be a lucky few souls who can eat, eat, eat on UD and have good DDs and lose, but most of us need to stick to our UD calories in WLM. I was one of those who had to stick my numbers to lose. You wouldn't know it now because I regularly have FDs, but during WLM, my body was still healing and it could not do that on hundreds and hundreds of calories too many.

I tell people just try to stick to your #s in WLM and look forward to maintenance. Because in maintenance you may find you don't have to count calories anymore - you can also have FDs. Or you can at least raise your UD calorie ceiling higher by that time. No guarantee, but it's what a number of us have experienced after a while. Better running metabolisms. So yes, while counting calories can be a pain in the butt, it may only be temporary - a tool to get you where you wanna be, and then you may be able to play looser in maintenance.

When I started JUDDD, I almost reached my "last five pounds" in less than 2 weeks, but then I started doing up up and away days as Pat calls them, every UD. I was eating hundreds and hundreds of calories over my UD limit. And I gained back the weight I lost on JUDDD. I just hung right there at that weight of 150#.

So I set to work figuring and experimenting and found my true WL numbers. For my height of 5ft.6in. and a smidge, those numbers were between 1700-1800. I found that if I ate between those 2 numbers, I lost. If I went over, I maintained, and if I went over, over, I gained.

From the feedback I've seen since then, it seems those are the "magic numbers" for weight loss for many others my height and right around it.

I'm glad you've found your numbers! It's a huge relief. Now you know exactly what to do and you know what will happen when you do and when you don't.

The body cannot get used to the strange, wide calorie swings between UD/DD. It would get used to it if you ate the same level of calories day after day after day. But it can never understand or keep up with JUDDD, other than the part of it that likes the challenge of this "good stress" you are putting on it, and that will bring on the health benefits and weight loss.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Happy Anniversary! And congrats on getting the scale moving down again.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Congrats on the downward movement again! I definitely agree here, and the thing is, it takes a while and some careful experimentation and observation to actually figure out what exactly our UD numbers are. I'm starting to see that it's highly individual. I think that's the reason why it took me 3 weeks after starting JUDDD before I finally started to lose. I've seen people with similar stats as me with a much higher or much lower UD calorie number than me, and yet that works for them whereas it wouldn't work for me. It's probably due to different factors such as metabolisms, the type of foods we eat, activity levels, body composition, health issues, and probably a million other differences.

For me, it's important that I eat all the way up to my UD calorie number, or I will not lose. Thankfully this is not a problem for me. If I occasionally go over by a bit, it won't affect me much, but if I consistently go significantly over, I'll stall again (which is fine for maintenance but clearly not if I'm still in WLM). Respecting those numbers has made the weight continue to fall off, even right now at my last 5 lbs (soon to be 4 if the new low number sticks ).
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
Congrats on the downward movement again! I definitely agree here, and the thing is, it takes a while and some careful experimentation and observation to actually figure out what exactly our UD numbers are. I'm starting to see that it's highly individual. I think that's the reason why it took me 3 weeks after starting JUDDD before I finally started to lose. I've seen people with similar stats as me with a much higher or much lower UD calorie number than me, and yet that works for them whereas it wouldn't work for me. It's probably due to different factors such as metabolisms, the type of foods we eat, activity levels, body composition, health issues, and probably a million other differences.

For me, it's important that I eat all the way up to my UD calorie number, or I will not lose. Thankfully this is not a problem for me. If I occasionally go over by a bit, it won't affect me much, but if I consistently go significantly over, I'll stall again (which is fine for maintenance but clearly not if I'm still in WLM). Respecting those numbers has made the weight continue to fall off, even right now at my last 5 lbs (soon to be 4 if the new low number sticks ).
Right, there is no one-size fits all, just like the rest of life, so if one # isn't working for you after a couple weeks, try some experimenting or ask the board for suggestions and try again until you find your "sweet spot".

Adding - another great thing about JUDDD is, I don't feel even these times of no loss are a waste of one's time or effort because if your DD are pretty good, you are still in the process of activating SIRT1 and his fellow sirtuin pals, so the good things are starting up in your body even if you aren't seeing losses yet. With patience and tweeking after 2 - 3 weeks, the losses will come.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-28-2012 at 09:19 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
Hi Monica! Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your UD!

Thanks for posting this! I did NOT lose, on this my third week but I fully recognize I went over on an UD, and went over on a DD and we ate OUT twice so those days were guesstimates!

I am buckling down this week and cooking at HOME and measuring etc and respecting my ceiling on UD and hope to see it reflected next Saturday [my official weigh in day ]
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Eating whatever you want is not an UD, it's a FD

I've been maintaining at 147 with FD/DD...and I'm wondering if I stuck to my calories on UDs is I would actually lose more weight. But I'm VERY afraid to mess with this good thing JUDDD has given me.

Do you really only eat 350 calories on down days? I thought it was 500 as the lowest?

I often eat between 400-700 on DDs...depending where I am in the month.

Keep up the good work.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #14

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Bodies really don't understand the concept of averages. They start fresh each day.
Brilliant post Nancy.

Good job on working things out Monica. You will doubtless be able to push those up day calories once you are comfortably maintaining. And the lower DDs will get easier too.

Happy 20th Anniversary. Enjoy your romantic getaway.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #15

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I think bodies don't actually even stop and *start fresh each day*. I think it's just an ongoing process of ebb and flow, fill and deplete, store and retrieve, whether we're gaining, losing, or just maintaining. Just some variance in what's going on in there as the hours of our days pass, but something always being filled or emptied, rather than ever ending and then starting fresh in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_gal View Post
Eating whatever you want is not an UD, it's a FD

I've been maintaining at 147 with FD/DD...and I'm wondering if I stuck to my calories on UDs is I would actually lose more weight. But I'm VERY afraid to mess with this good thing JUDDD has given me.

Do you really only eat 350 calories on down days? I thought it was 500 as the lowest?

I often eat between 400-700 on DDs...depending where I am in the month.

Keep up the good work.
Good point about the difference between an UD and a FD. And, yes, I expect if you actually measured your food and counted and stuck to your UD calorie numbers, you'd lose more weight. LOL But are you wanting to lose much? I though you were maintaining now?

I was just going to say that 500 isn't the lowest. It's just the calorie number Dr. Johnson recommended folks hold to for the first couple of weeks they were getting into JUDDD, during their *2-week Induction*. But he starts his Calorie Calculator percentages at 20%, and for most women, that falls quite a bit lower than 500 calories. And that same 20% level might not even be as low as 500 calories if the dieter was quite heavy. And then the calculator offers us percentages of our normal UD calorie number to choose from too, but the higher percentage you chose to do, obviously the more calories are going to be in your week overall. Folks can just totally water fast on DDs if they want too. But that 500-calorie number is easy for so many of us to stick with.. low enough to result in decent weight loss, but high enough to allow for enough food so that we don't feel hungry on DDs.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-28-2012 at 10:15 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LouLou
Stats: 170/168/140
Start Date: 11/14/11 restarting 1/2/12
Happy Anniversary! Thank you so much for this post! This is my problem! I haven't been counting on my UDS. I have been using them as FDS. How dumb I am! I am going to keep to my UD numbers and weigh/measure and write everything down. I want to lose this weight so bad but I keep messing up. I have a lot of advice and knowledge but when you feel like the failure you don't want to share! Thank you ,thank you, thank you.

Today is a new day!
LouLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #17

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouLou View Post
Happy Anniversary! Thank you so much for this post! This is my problem! I haven't been counting on my UDS. I have been using them as FDS. How dumb I am! I am going to keep to my UD numbers and weigh/measure and write everything down. I want to lose this weight so bad but I keep messing up. I have a lot of advice and knowledge but when you feel like the failure you don't want to share! Thank you ,thank you, thank you.

Today is a new day!
Don't beat yourself up. There are very few people who actually WANT to measure their foods and COUNT CALORIES.

But if you actually do it, I'll be expecting to see you losing weight at a very nice rate, regularly. Good look, and we'll be watching for your weight loss *brags* being posted!

It's a help of you break your Up Days into chunks of time for your meals, and then break your daily calories into chunks for the meals. So you can plan menus for breakfast, each being about X number of your calories. And then you can plan some menus for your lunches, each being about another X number of calories. And then you can just use those amounts and calorie counts over and over and over, without ever having to do the figuring of calories again.

So I know each morning that I choose to have 2 eggs over easy, a slice of toast with 1/2 T butter, and a mug of coffee with 2 T half & half, it's 334 calories. I'll never have to plan that or figure the calories for it again.

Good luck.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LouLou
Stats: 170/168/140
Start Date: 11/14/11 restarting 1/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Don't beat yourself up. There are very few people who actually WANT to measure their foods and COUNT CALORIES.

But if you actually do it, I'll be expecting to see you losing weight at a very nice rate, regularly. Good look, and we'll be watching for your weight loss *brags* being posted!

It's a help of you break your Up Days into chunks of time for your meals, and then break your daily calories into chunks for the meals. So you can plan menus for breakfast, each being about X number of your calories. And then you can plan some menus for your lunches, each being about another X number of calories. And then you can just use those amounts and calorie counts over and over and over, without ever having to do the figuring of calories again.

So I know each morning that I choose to have 2 eggs over easy, a slice of toast with 1/2 T butter, and a mug of coffee with 2 T half & half, it's 334 calories. I'll never have to plan that or figure the calories for it again.

Good luck.
Thanks so much Pat! I actually had a great day so far. I weighed and measured and kept in my calories range of 1700. Thanks for all your encouragement and help you give everyone!
LouLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
SoHappy - yes, I am in maintenance mode. Been maintaining my weight since Aug11....but you know, you get used to the body and kind of get greedy.

I wonder what it would like at 145...or 140....or...LOL...

But a realistic goal at this point would be to focus on being in better physical condition. I am generally "fit" but used to being in excellent shape

To monica - how did the anniversary go? where did you end up staying?
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"The only failure is giving up"

"If at first you don't succeed, learn"
Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"The only failure is giving up"

"If at first you don't succeed, learn"

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently."
Old 01-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #22

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
And my all time favorite:

"If at first you don't succeed, read the directions!"
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Anniversary was awesome! He completely planned it and I had no idea where he was taking me! I kept my eyes on the GPS trying to figure it out. Haha! We landed at Morrison House in Old Town Alexandria. Romantic evening with lots of food and wine. I tried figuring out the calories yesterday. Probably went over my UD by 500! Not much respect for the UD numbers that day, but I didn't think I would. How often do you get to celebrate 20 years?

Had an excellent below 500 the next day and all is back to normal.

Awesome night with an awesome man! I am so blessed!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DeeLen
Stats: (286.6 before WLS)
WOE: WLS 4/25/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouLou View Post
I have a lot of advice and knowledge but when you feel like the failure you don't want to share!
No truer words were ever spoken.
DeeLen is offline   Reply With Quote