Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I've decided that starting out, I won't count on UD's (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/755230-ive-decided-starting-out-i-wont-count-uds.html)

moonmirror 01-27-2012 12:22 PM

I've decided that starting out, I won't count on UD's

I know induction is more counting/restriction than that, but honestly folks when I count on my UD's, I get that horrible deprived feeling I used to get on Weight Watchers. Its like a bad flashback to weight watchers! I don't want to do it!

I'm really fine with counting on dd's and staying extra strict. So far I've had two good ones this week. One was 580 and one was 500. Saturday is a medium day this week, so I will count on that day too.

But I'm going to try an "intuitive eating" approach on UD's. Already, I can tell that I don't enjoy or savor overeating on an UD. I want to enjoy my UD's more, and compulsively eating on them isn't pleasant.

My weight is fine this week. A little under 165. And that's with an up, up and away day yesterday. :)

Now I know what people are feeling/saying when they say they enjoy their dd's. I get the most calm, serene feeling at the end of one.

Anyway, this is my plan, and I'll let you all know how it affects my weight/eating at the end of 14 days!

dazygyrl 01-27-2012 12:26 PM

this is exactly what i do. it just feels too 'dieting' to me to count and i simply can't do that day after day. totally don't mind on DDs, though. and i too have been able to reign in that compulsive need to want to eat everything.

i'm not experiencing the weight falling off like others here. don't know why. i know that my UDs are much more respectful than they used to be, so am hoping to see more losses.

SoHappy 01-27-2012 12:27 PM

We always used to say, *The Proof is in the Pudding*, and that will apply here too. As you say, doing this for a couple of weeks will show you whether you can expect overall success with this or not. Good luck, and I will be cheering you on to good weight loss and happy success! :up:

moonmirror 01-27-2012 12:28 PM

Maybe we have to count UD's to see the weight come off?

I'll have to see if I'll be willing to do that. Weight loss is not my #1 goal here either, though...

piratejenny 01-27-2012 12:33 PM

I know what you mean!
Prior to starting JUDDD, I think I must have been eating pretty intuitively, as I was (unintentionally) maintaining and even losing a little...verrrryyyy....slowllllyyyy...figured if I just continued to eat that way, the DD restriction would make a big calorie deficit every week. And I lost about 12 lbs very quickly!!!

My problem, I think, is that I felt so deprived on DDs that I started overeating on UDs, and eating too many treats & carby junk in particular. So I'm trying again but with higher DD calories.

Good luck!!! :high5:

sophiethecat 01-27-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonmirror (Post 15366893)
I know induction is more counting/restriction than that, but honestly folks when I count on my UD's, I get that horrible deprived feeling I used to get on Weight Watchers. Its like a bad flashback to weight watchers! I don't want to do it!

I'm really fine with counting on dd's and staying extra strict. So far I've had two good ones this week. One was 580 and one was 500. Saturday is a medium day this week, so I will count on that day too.

But I'm going to try an "intuitive eating" approach on UD's. Already, I can tell that I don't enjoy or savor overeating on an UD. I want to enjoy my UD's more, and compulsively eating on them isn't pleasant.

My weight is fine this week. A little under 165. And that's with an up, up and away day yesterday. :)

Now I know what people are feeling/saying when they say they enjoy their dd's. I get the most calm, serene feeling at the end of one.

Anyway, this is my plan, and I'll let you all know how it affects my weight/eating at the end of 14 days!

:up: Experimenting is fine I think when you aren't as concerned with weight loss, or you've been at it a certain amount of time with no success, or when you need to modify here and there due to lifestyle, or if you have only a little weight to go. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to counting your UDs. Look forward to your report in 2 weeks :)

SoHappy 01-27-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonmirror (Post 15366918)
Maybe we have to count UD's to see the weight come off?

I'll have to see if I'll be willing to do that. Weight loss is not my #1 goal here either, though...

Obviously, if you are not measuring your food and tallying up those calories, you may or may not be near your select UD calorie number. Most of us have found that sticking that number seems to result in excellent weight loss combined with all the other benefits, etc. Maybe you will just naturally be close to your numbers and the spread between your UD and DD calories will be well held, both from going too low and from going too high.

There is something about not going far over (and thus overpowering your good DDs somewhat) or going too far under (and thus signaling your brain that even on a good day, food is obviously scarce) that triggers the JUDDD magic. Most of us are fairly convinced that with JUDDD, it's more than just the numbers, more than just the calorie totals overall. The *magic* seems to be best triggered when the numbers are adhered to fairly closely. (Well, I wanted weight loss, but the big boost I got in metabolism was the greatest gift of all!)

Give it a try for two or three weeks. We have people who aren't doing Atkins by the book, but some still lose weight pretty well. So do *your* plan of JUDDD without counting your calories on your UDs (which then become the Free Days we finally usually don't enjoy until maintenance LOL) and see if it works for you. That's the only way to tell whether it will do its thing for you.

Obviously, if you lose weight, you're pretty darned close, and if you aren't losing much weight, obviously you are off somewhere... either as to the calorie number you should be at, or in how close you are hitting that number most of the time.

For myself, I left a lot of the freedom of not counting until I was wanting to maintain, and hoped it would be close enough. And I pretty much just maintain. If I ever get to the point where I want to lose more weight (as I compromised with a bit more fat under my skin rather than letting it all wrinkle up and hang on me LOL) but if I'm wanting more loss, I'll go back to measuring and counting for most of my UDs too, for most of my meals.

I'll we watching with great interest, and rooting for your success! :clap:

corgimom 01-27-2012 12:49 PM

I'm just starting and am not counting on my UDs either. I think I will eat more sensibly on my UDs that way. I'm also using piratejenny's MUDDD system because it fits my schedule better.

ETA - I, too, get in trouble if I feel too deprived, or guilt over food or anything of that nature.

WWC 01-27-2012 12:50 PM

I also don't strictly count my UDs either. However, I am almost 48yo and have probably been on some kind of diet or thinking about being on some kind of diet, 43 of those years. I could probable answer by rote the calorie count in the majority of foods I eat. My advice is to have a general idea of what your meals are like and what you will eat for the day. So first thing in the morning you may not know exactly what you will eat for dinner, but it will be some type of meat and veggies. You will naturally be close to your calorie level especially if you keep the "treats" to a treat level. I also am finding that my DDs are helping me want to choose appropriate foods on my UDs. I love that.

MintQ8 01-27-2012 12:59 PM

I don't always count on UD - and I know there have been many occasions when I've definitely gone over! less where I've gone under.

I try to count - and when I'm no longer on 'holiday', I will make more of an effort.

However, I really can't see in the book (and I haven't been back to check) where he says specifically about eating UD calories.

moonmirror 01-27-2012 01:23 PM

My metabolism is kind of funny. I did a long stint of low-carb and went from 188-190 to 165 pounds fairly quickly. Then I stayed at 165 pounds while staying on lowcarb, for the most part.

The strange news is, that when I went OFF lowcarb for a whole month (and this is eating treats, treats, and more treats) I didn't gain a single pound.

I stayed at 165.

For me 165 is anywhere between a size 10 and a size 12. My jeans are comfortable. Muffin-top is rare for me because I tend to be thin in the waist with a flat belly, so I figured where my weight actually was; wasn't such a bad thing (in my chest, hips, thighs and butt :) )

So honestly, since I've done restriction, and low-carb, and free-eating, and stayed at 165; I really don't expect Juddd to do much more than....keep me at 165!! :hyst:

So I'm doing it for health, and to learn to enjoy my food, and to learn to moderate my food in a peaceful way. Weight loss will be a side benefit. Mostly, because I don't really expect weight loss to occur. :)

SoHappy 01-27-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MintQ8 (Post 15366994)
I don't always count on UD - and I know there have been many occasions when I've definitely gone over! less where I've gone under.

I try to count - and when I'm no longer on 'holiday', I will make more of an effort.

However, I really can't see in the book (and I haven't been back to check) where he says specifically about eating UD calories.

Actually, Dr. Johnson talks out of both sides of his mouth when it tells us what we can do. :annoyed: He indicates in one part that we can eat as much as we want on UDs, without overeating (however many calories OVEReating would be.....) :stars:

But then he gives us the JUDDD Calorie Calculator, and where our calorie number comes up, he has that labeled *NORMAL Calories*. So that is the calorie figure we are given for our normal UD calories.

And he goes on to explain in another part, "..........During the first two weeks of the diet, your Down Day calorie intake will consist of no more than 20 percent of what you would normally consume. A calorie counter is provided below so that you can figure out what your NORMAL calorie intake and Down Day calorie intake should be..........."

adillenal 01-27-2012 01:45 PM

You are so right Pat. In one place he says you can eat anything you want and then qualifies that with how many calories and what types of foods are best choices. So I can't really eat "anything" I want on UD's unless I don't really want to lose. Now that I have actually figured that out I am doing much better.

SoHappy 01-27-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 15367118)
You are so right Pat. In one place he says you can eat anything you want and then qualifies that with how many calories and what types of foods are best choices. So I can't really eat "anything" I want on UD's unless I don't really want to lose. Now that I have actually figured that out I am doing much better.

:laugh: Good for you. Some of the *eat anything* foods I want to eat on my UDs still have to be smaller servings that what I could eat. LOL

Cruzcrzy 01-27-2012 02:06 PM

In the beginning I tracked my DD's and UD's using ******. Currently, I am tracking in my head, BUT, I am in maintenance. If I start gaining, I will start tracking again on ******. That is the deal I have with myself. When I am explaining this program to someone, I tell them that if they are looking to lose, it is necessary to track their calories. Best wishes to you!! :). We are here for you!

Beeb 01-27-2012 02:39 PM

I didn't stop tracking my UD calories until I was about 2 months into maintenance. I was too afraid I would overeat and wasn't sure if I had that "intuitive eating" down, as PJenny talked about. During the holidays I stopped counting and just kept going that way until just recently when my weight went up a bit more than I wanted it to on a couple of FDs/UDs.

I had to start counting again to get my self reigned in a bit with the overeating (didn't have that intuitive eating just right yet) :dunno:. Now I am back to FDs but I still count one or 2 UDs a week just to make sure I'm on track and not overdoing it.

I always say do what works for you and the only way we can figure this out sometimes is experimenting. I have also learned to "never say never" so I'll wish you luck and am going to be very interested in how things go for you. :hugs:

gotsomeold 01-27-2012 05:01 PM

I'm jealous. If I don't track UD calories, I never come close to what I should be eating.